• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Reward Experts -- can I.....

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently holding reservations Marriott Springhill Suites, Seattle using Marriott Reward points. Just got my 'free' black Visa card one free night.

Am I able to switch one of my two nights reserved to the free one? Springhill is a Category 4. TIA

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Currently holding reservations Marriott Springhill Suites, Seattle using Marriott Reward points. Just got my 'free' black Visa card one free night.

Am I able to switch one of my two nights reserved to the free one? Springhill is a Category 4. TIA

Yep--very easy. You can do it in a few steps online. Easiest is to call MR and have them do it. Tell them you have the (2) night award in place with points. Now you want to use your cert for one night and points for the second.

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be able to as long as you booked a Stardard Award. Just call Marriott reservations and they should be able to apply your free visa night to one of the nights you have booked.

It mustve a standard award and NOT one where you had to pay a nightly "Upgrade" fee with cash or extra points.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
After you've converted that reward night held with points over to a reward night on your annual free night certificate, you will realize that you've learned a valuable lesson.

Let's say that next year you would like to use your annual free night certificate at a costly European hotel. But reward nights at that hotel are hard to come by and tend to sell out quickly. It's best to hold the night you want using your points and then convert it to the free night certificate later rather than waiting to make the reservation until the free night cert. hits your Marriott rewards account.

I did this last year for an award stay at the Renaissance Tel Aviv. We planned a trip for May. My annual free night cert. hits at the very end of March. My wife also has a Marriott Premier card, and her free night cert. arrives around the 3rd week of April. If we had waited until April to try to book a room in May, I doubt very much that there would have been any availability. So I set things up in advance and held a room for 2 nights on points from each of our accounts (1 night for me, 1 night for her) and then made the switch when each free night cert. arrived.

sjnoble

Reaction score
Suggest using free nite cert for second nite

Just a suggestion to use the free night cert for your second night, I think you have a higher chance of getting an upgrade for a "paid" night stay.

I did this when we had to stay 2 nights at the Waikiki Marriott, booked a partial ocean view night and used the free cat 5 cert for second night. Upon check-in, we were surprised to walk into an ocean view room (high floor) facing the Waikiki Beach, it was a very blessed ending for our 9-day trip to Oahu, watching sunset and the surfers from the balcony.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great idea

Just a suggestion to use the free night cert for your second night, I think you have a higher chance of getting an upgrade for a "paid" night stay.

I did this when we had to stay 2 nights at the Waikiki Marriott, booked a partial ocean view night and used the free cat 5 cert for second night. Upon check-in, we were surprised to walk into an ocean view room (high floor) facing the Waikiki Beach, it was a very blessed ending for our 9-day trip to Oahu, watching sunset and the surfers from the balcony.

Thank you for the tip!

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you

After you've converted that reward night held with points over to a reward night on your annual free night certificate, you will realize that you've learned a valuable lesson.

Let's say that next year you would like to use your annual free night certificate at a costly European hotel. But reward nights at that hotel are hard to come by and tend to sell out quickly. It's best to hold the night you want using your points and then convert it to the free night certificate later rather than waiting to make the reservation until the free night cert. hits your Marriott rewards account.

I did this last year for an award stay at the Renaissance Tel Aviv. We planned a trip for May. My annual free night cert. hits at the very end of March. My wife also has a Marriott Premier card, and her free night cert. arrives around the 3rd week of April. If we had waited until April to try to book a room in May, I doubt very much that there would have been any availability. So I set things up in advance and held a room for 2 nights on points from each of our accounts (1 night for me, 1 night for her) and then made the switch when each free night cert. arrived.

Another great idea!

pacheco18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless we are talking about something else, the free night is only good for low category properties -- usually category 1-4. Unlikely that it can be used for most good European hotels.

My VOA routinely converts a paid night reservation to my annual free night. I usually use the free nights for airport hotel stays and book well in advance. Then when i get the free night credit, I call my VOA and he takes care of it.