• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott point rentals???

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please excuse me for asking one of the dumbest questions ever on this discussion board
I am an owner of (2) marriott timeshres but resale/not developer
so no Marriott points for use at Marriott hotels

does a board/exist anywhere in the world
where a MArriott Timeshare owner/Developer bought
or
Hytatt timeshare owner/Developer bought

might rent me hotel rooms for friends in Boston,Mass
in June,2009

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Please excuse me for asking one of the dumbest questions ever on this discussion board
I am an owner of (2) marriott timeshres but resale/not developer
so no Marriott points for use at Marriott hotels

does a board/exist anywhere in the world
where a MArriott Timeshare owner/Developer bought
or
Hytatt timeshare owner/Developer bought

might rent me hotel rooms for friends in Boston,Mass
in June,2009

Why does it have to be developer bought?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Rental of hotel rooms? I don't think so. You'll have to pay the hotel for those.

You can rent timeshares, including at the Custom House, much more cheaply from owners than from Marriott. There are many places to look. Two of them are Redweek.com and the classifieds ads here at TUG. For more places to look, see the "sticky" list of resale and rental sites located at the top of the list of topics for the TUG Buying, Selling, Renting forum.

There is one place where you can trade frequent flyer miles or hotel points for whatever you might need. That's at FlyerTalk.com. However, you must have at least 100 legitimate posts there (not nonsensical posts made just to build your post count) to gain access to the "Coupon Connection" forum.

Incidentally, even if you had enough Marriott Rewards points (or if someone offered to help), you couldn't use Marriott Rewards points to pay for a stay at Custom House. Like most Marriott timeshares, Custom House generally doesn't make units available for points stays, especially during the summer.

Last edited:

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you own a marriott timeshare that was purchased resale and directly thru developer. You cannot turn your marriott week into marriott Points to be used at marriott hotels, like those marriott owners can turn their marriott weeks into Marriot points, since they bought thru the Devleoper at full retail price

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Incidentally, even if you had enough Marriott Rewards points (or if someone offered to help), you couldn't use Marriott Rewards points to pay for a stay at Custom House. Like most Marriott timeshares, Custom House generally doesn't make units available for points stays, especially during the summer.

Without blackout dates after 01/15, will this not change? There will have to at least be some rooms available at MVCI resorts for MR redemption? Or are the MVCI resorts excluded?

TUG Member
Reaction score
DAve M:
I was referring to marriott hotels in boston,Mass not Marriott custom house timeshare.

is this a true statement. If I could find a marriott owner that purchased a marriot timeshare/developer at full retail price.
They might have the abality to rent me some of their marriott reward points
to stay in a Marriott hotel in Boston,Mass in June,2009.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
if you own a marriott timeshare that was purchased resale and directly thru developer. You cannot turn your marriott week into marriott Points to be used at marriott hotels, like those marriott owners can turn their marriott weeks into Marriot points, since they bought thru the Devleoper at full retail price

Your original post wasn't really clear, I wasn't sure if you wanted to rent rooms or points? That is why I asked the question I did.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dixoide
I know how to rent a marriott timeshare thru www.redweek.com or
tug2.net I was just hoping that maybe some place existied to rent me Marriott reward points, for marriott hotel stays in Boston, Mass in June,2009.

I am finding that that marriot custom house in Boston, MAss
is one of the smallest marriott timeshares in the world

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
not true. i purchased a resale week directly thru marriott and CAN convert your ts week to marriott reward pts.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
not true. i purchased a resale week directly thru marriott and CAN convert your ts week to marriott reward pts.
That doesn't count. When you purchase a resale week through Marriott, it's the same as purchasing a new week through Marriott. The prices are the same. There are some limited exceptions where you make a deal with a third party and then arrange to have the sale go through Marriott with Marriott increasing the price so that it takes 40% of the total purchase price and the third party gets what you agreed upon.

As used on this forum, a resale week is one that's purchased from other than Marriott, presumably at a much lower price than Marriott's price.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was just hoping that maybe some place existied to rent me Marriott reward points, for marriott hotel stays in Boston, Mass in June,2009.
Good luck. :(

Selling points or hotel space obtained with those points would violate Marriott’s rules. I can't imagine that any points holder would take the risk of losing everything in their points account by engaging in such a transaction.

You should keep trying to exchange, expanding your ongoing II search to as many weeks as your friends can possibly accept. Your second option is to rent a Custom House week. Your third option is to pay for a hotel room. I don't know of any other practical options. Try bidding on Priceline for best hotel rates.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
That doesn't count. When you purchase a resale week through Marriott, it's the same as purchasing a new week through Marriott. ....
I misread the post...and I am still misreading it :wall: Maybe it's a language thing.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I misread the post...and I am still misreading it :wall: Maybe it's a language thing.

You are not misreading anything. Post four incorrectly states what you are trying to correct.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
JP, you can BUY Marriott Reward Points directly from Mariott - 50,000 per year - so you could buy 50K this week and 50K next week - other will quote you the cost - maybe $625 for 50K - and then u can make the reservation for your friends - but it is probably cheaper to rent thru Mattiott.com directly instead of purchasing points.

NJN2Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
purchase points directly

Why not get a Marriott rewards account (free) and than purchase points from Marriott? You and your spouse can each do this.

• A member may purchase or receive as a gift a combined maximum of 50,000 points per calendar year.
• Points may be purchased in increments of 1,000
• Purchase rate is 12.50 (USD) per 1,000 points
• Points may take 24-48 hours to post to your account

If you get a Marriott Reawards Premier Visa there are other perks. This is what I found.

* 15,000 bonus points
Receive 15,000 bonus points after your first purchase using your new card.
* Receive a Free Night Stay
o Receive a Free Night Stay e-Certificate upon account approval and each year upon account anniversary, valid at over 2,400 hotels worldwide.3,4
* Earn 5 points for every $1 spent at Marriott locations
o Use your Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature card to earn 5 points for every $1 spent at over 2,700 Marriott locations worldwide.1
* Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on airline, dining, and rental car purchases
o With the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature card you can earn points on your entire travel experience.1
* Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on other purchases
o Earn points on your everyday spending! Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases with your card.1
* Receive 15 nights credit toward Elite status
o Whether you are almost Silver or almost Platinum, the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature card will help you get to your next Elite level.5
* 2 for 1 Golf coupon upon account opening6

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
... There is one place where you can trade frequent flyer miles or hotel points for whatever you might need. That's at FlyerTalk.com. However, you must have at least 100 legitimate posts there (not nonsensical posts made just to build your post count) to gain access to the "Coupon Connection" forum ...

Dave how does this work? Does Flyertalk act as an intermediary?

Example: Can two willing people trade 100K Marriott rewards points for 100K Continental FF miles?

Terry

TUG Member
Reaction score
dave M:
I Tried to rent a one bedroom in june,2009, for Marriott Custom House
Boston,Mass
IT is only has 81 units.
They said no availability for rentals the entre month of June,2009.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave M:
Thanks for your explanaation that all Marriott Resales do not have the use of Marriott Rewards points, basec on posts by others. I was more confused than ever, till reading your posts.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
dave M:
Boston,Mass
IT is only has 81 units.

If there is no rental availability then it is very unlikely that there will be reward rooms available.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
dave M:
Boston,Mass
IT is only has 81 units.
You have to be patient and persistent. Please follow all of the advice you have been given here. Use all of your options and don't give up.

For rentals, as one of your options, there are many places to look, as I made clear in my first post in this thread. As one example, Redweek currently has a week available that is two weeks before the one you want and has two of the most in-demand July weeks available. Those offerings may change from week to week, so keep trying.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to open a Marriott rewards account. Once you have a account # you can go online and purchase 50,000 Marriott Reward Points for $625.00. You can do this once a calender year so you can buy 50,000 points this year if you hurry up and do it and then in 09 you can buy another 50,000 points. If you have a spouse they can open a entirely separate rewards account # and also buy 50,000 points this year and 50,000 points next year.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Good idea, Kathy! And the points in those two spousal accounts can be combined to get a single Marriott Rewards hotel stay or other Reward.