• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott OceanWatch Villas...do they guarantee view?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Slightly off topic: I live in a city. I'm used to parking decks. But in the city, people drive all kinds of cars (big and tiny) so there are a combination of different size vehicles in urban parking decks. Have you noticed on vacation, EVERYBODY has got a minivan or an SUV? They are big. I realize parking decks are grossly expensive to build. But in a vacation environment, we really do need a few more inches for each space and room to back up these cruise ship vehicles. :D

As the captain of one of those, I have to agree. Guilty.
1616603954017.png

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Slightly off topic: I live in a city. I'm used to parking decks. But in the city, people drive all kinds of cars (big and tiny) so there are a combination of different size vehicles in urban parking decks. Have you noticed on vacation, EVERYBODY has got a minivan or an SUV? They are big. I realize parking decks are grossly expensive to build. But in a vacation environment, we really do need a few more inches for each space and room to back up these cruise ship vehicles. :D
Same problems on vacation. I will often see a huge 3/4 ton pickup truck parked in a parking garage when there is also ample outside parking, like at Marriott Crystal Shores. If there is a parking garage along with outdoor parking and you drive a boat, park it outside!

As a side note, another big problem I see is people pulling so far forward in a space that their wheels hit the curb or sidewalk. The problem with this is that the front end of your car (or even worse, your truck) hangs over the sidewalk several feet. I get it, you don't want someone to hit the back of your vehicle driving through. Trust me, they don't want to hit it either and I am sure they can steer around it. But don't block the sidewalk for people with wheelchairs and strollers.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
That would have been my expectation but it sounds like the OP has already had communication from the resort saying they had been assigned Gardenview.
Normally Aruba has given the view of the exchange with a sprinkle of common sense. Maybe they needed to unit to continue a stay for someone already in OF. I've had OF on exchange and was given OF.
We do not own at OceanWatch, but at the Marriott's Manor Club in Williamsburg, VA. I liked the Maple building anything above the fifth floor.
I totally agree Swice & kds4 comments about the Maple building.

Last edited:

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
My sister traded into OceanWatch Villas. The II and Marriott confirmation says oceanfront. Her prearrival says gardenview. Has anyone had this experience of not getting what is says in the confirmation portfolio? Any suggestions on what to do? Many thanks.
Curious what sort of view your sister was assigned?
I have an II trade in Oct that shows as a Gardenview, would luv to be closer walk to the ocean, if possible. Are upgrades ever an option for II trades? I know my Platinum status won't hold any weight since MVCI. Thx.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Paid upgrades aren’t an option. Unless you own there, count on garden view.

Reactions: jme

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Same problems on vacation. I will often see a huge 3/4 ton pickup truck parked in a parking garage when there is also ample outside parking, like at Marriott Crystal Shores. If there is a parking garage along with outdoor parking and you drive a boat, park it outside!

As a side note, another big problem I see is people pulling so far forward in a space that their wheels hit the curb or sidewalk. The problem with this is that the front end of your car (or even worse, your truck) hangs over the sidewalk several feet. I get it, you don't want someone to hit the back of your vehicle driving through. Trust me, they don't want to hit it either and I am sure they can steer around it. But don't block the sidewalk for people with wheelchairs and strollers.
IMO,I think many drivers are worried about another backing into their parked car…the last 2 Marriots I stayed at…Oceana Palms and OceanWatch I felt there wasn’t enough space from cars parked across the way when backing out,especially if you are driving a full size car or SUV

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
IMO,I think many drivers are worried about another backing into their parked car…the last 2 Marriots I stayed at…Oceana Palms and OceanWatch I felt there wasn’t enough space from cars parked across the way when backing out,especially if you are driving a full size car or SUV
I get it, but I see it over and over. THe back end or front end of a pickup or car hanging over the sidewalk to the point that people in wheelchairs can't get through. There are even a few situations where people have a hard time walking through. The problem often is not even in indoor parking, but outside spaces where people backing out would not be an issue.

This I realize now is why they tend to usually put a concrete curb in handicap parking spaces. That and also so people don't take out the handicap parking sign.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
agreed..I had a hard time negotiating a luggage cart left in the parking garage to get our luggage to the elevators…

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I realize on vacation cars may be rented, etc., however, for those that love to hang over the sidewalk at a resort with luggage carts, keep in mind there is some risk to that. If you overhang the sidewalk enough, you may get the cart/luggage bumped into your vehicle, and in my book, that's your fault not mine. In no way am I saying I would do so on purpose before I get flamed for that comment, I would not. But am saying it's easy to bump into. You do so at your risk. Not sure a kid driving a luggage cart would care so much.

I may be the only one amongst those giant vehicles, but I always drive the cheapest (often smallest) vehicle I can rent.

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister traded into OceanWatch Villas. The II and Marriott confirmation says oceanfront. Her prearrival says gardenview. Has anyone had this experience of not getting what is says in the confirmation portfolio? Any suggestions on what to do? Many thanks.

My sister was placed in top floor, Oceanfront.
She has no status.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Curious what sort of view your sister was assigned?
I have an II trade in Oct that shows as a Gardenview, would luv to be closer walk to the ocean, if possible. Are upgrades ever an option for II trades? I know my Platinum status won't hold any weight since MVCI. Thx.
IMO, Ocean View or even the Ocean Side units are overrated. Unless you can get Conch or Scallop OF, then you are just as well of in the gardenview Woodsy section. The Woodsy section is quite underrated. We loved it back there.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, Ocean View or even the Ocean Side units are overrated. Unless you can get Conch or Scallop OF, then you are just as well of in the gardenview Woodsy section. The Woodsy section is quite underrated. We loved it back there.
Be careful , we liked The Woody Section also because it is very quite and the parking spaces are larger. Plus, I liked parking on the upper deck because your automobile will not be hit by luggage carts and other automobiles parking to close to one another. IMHO. We prefer any villa over the six floor and an end unit.

UK Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score

Same here. We really enjoy the Woodsy section.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
We were at OceanWatch last October on DC Points...had a high floor Oceanside in the Scallop Building..absolutely loved the view