• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Maui and Kauai comparisons

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC: Presidential Level
[Posts moved from unrelated thread. <--SueDonJ]

I need some insight on properties in Kauai and Maui: You are correct about persistence. In the past few days, I am seeing new availability for Kauai Lagoons -- Kalanipu'u and Maui Ocean Club. I have been able to book oceanfront 3 bedroom units during surprisingly high-demand times. We are destination points members and no matter when I find availability -- even if for the same dates, the Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina and Napili Tower property requires double the number of points compared to Kauai Lagoons. And I am comparing oceanfront to oceanfront and oceanview to oceanview, etc., same time frames and day of arrivals. (Saturday arrivals, I have learned, typically cost more to start with). I ended up reserving 7 nights at each property in the same month, for a total of 14 nights. There is a difference of about 4,000 points. Can you share any insight? I have looked at cash/market rates and can't find the same availability to compare simultaneously. If someone asked me why the Myrtle Beach, South Carolina resort and Hilton Head properties might command a different price, I could provide a good answer because I live in South Carolina and know those areas. I could also compare some of the Orlando resorts because we spent so much time there -- long before joining MVC. Outside of that, I haven't experienced any other Marriott resort. I am still new at this and want candid, unbiased answers as we try to navigate making membership work to our advantage. Folks here seem to be straight-shooters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not the person to ask, have not been to MOC. From what I understand though from reading here on TUG, it's definitely a premium property. Others with more experience can chime in, or, you can open a new topic since it's kind of unrelated to this topic. It's a favorite property of many here on TUG.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I need some insight on properties in Kauai and Maui: You are correct about persistence. In the past few days, I am seeing new availability for Kauai Lagoons -- Kalanipu'u and Maui Ocean Club. I have been able to book oceanfront 3 bedroom units during surprisingly high-demand times. We are destination points members and no matter when I find availability -- even if for the same dates, the Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina and Napili Tower property requires double the number of points compared to Kauai Lagoons. And I am comparing oceanfront to oceanfront and oceanview to oceanview, etc., same time frames and day of arrivals. (Saturday arrivals, I have learned, typically cost more to start with). I ended up reserving 7 nights at each property in the same month, for a total of 14 nights. There is a difference of about 4,000 points. Can you share any insight? I have looked at cash/market rates and can't find the same availability to compare simultaneously. If someone asked me why the Myrtle Beach, South Carolina resort and Hilton Head properties might command a different price, I could provide a good answer because I live in South Carolina and know those areas. I could also compare some of the Orlando resorts because we spent so much time there -- long before joining MVC. Outside of that, I haven't experienced any other Marriott resort. I am still new at this and want candid, unbiased answers as we try to navigate making membership work to our advantage. Folks here seem to be straight-shooters.

The Maui Ocean Club has a certain cache as is apparent on this forum. MOC is directly on a beach boardwalk packed with restaurants and resorts. Kids love it. Personally, I find it crowded and not very relaxing (I've stayed there twice).

Kalanipu'u is more isolated; think suburban golf club. Great views but not on a beach. It is close to (long walk) the Kauai Beach Club; otherwise it is get in the car to go anywhere.

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not the person to ask, have not been to MOC. From what I understand though from reading here on TUG, it's definitely a premium property. Others with more experience can chime in, or, you can open a new topic since it's kind of unrelated to this topic. It's a favorite property of many here on TUG.
Thanks.

tshd

Reaction score
The Maui Ocean Club has a certain cache as is apparent on this forum. MOC is directly on a beach boardwalk packed with restaurants and resorts. Kids love it. Personally, I find it crowded and not very relaxing (I've stayed there twice).

Kalanipu'u is more isolated; think suburban golf club. Great views but not on a beach. It is close to (long walk) the Kauai Beach Club; otherwise it is get in the car to go anywhere.
Robert's comments are totally on point!! Rooms are of similar quality, but locations are vastly different. Many people are willing to pay the premium to "be in the heart of the action" on Ka'anapali Beach. I'm with Robert that I don't find it that relaxing. Prefer Kauai much more these days. Also the weather on Kauai can be wetter than Maui, so that also makes it more popular.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Keep in mind that while Kauai is quieter, there are three resorts there. The Lagoons were converted from a planned Ritz-Carlton property. Apparently great rooms and quiet environment, but a drive away from anything. I'd look at the reviews for each and use Search, and go from there. We love Poipu on the south end. Others love the converted hotel below the Lagoons and the awesome pool.

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

This is helpful. Thank you.

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Keep in mind that while Kauai is quieter, there are three resorts there. The Lagoons were converted from a planned Ritz-Carlton property. Apparently great rooms and quiet environment, but a drive away from anything. I'd look at the reviews for each and use Search, and go from there. We love Poipu on the south end. Others love the converted hotel below the Lagoons and the awesome pool.
Many thanks to you. The photos are amazing.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I actually believe the Kalanipu'u (aka Kauai Lagoons) property was originally a Grand Residence. Only 7 units were sold there as Grand Residence. There was a planned Ritz Carlton Residences nearby. I don't know if "the ruins" are still there, but you can see them from the patios of most of the units at Kalanipu'u.
Lagoons.png

Bill4728

Reaction score
There are three MVC resorts on Kauai all three are very different.
Kauai Lagoons is on the hill above the the Beach club. small relaxed resort, great rooms, most have views, no beach access - basically have to drive to everywhere. Under the flight path of small airport
Beach Club - BIG converted hotel so kitchen is small. huge pool, there are a few places within easy walking distance. Great beach BUT on a bay not the ocean so some people don't like the water.

Waiohai (In Pui'po 30 minutes from other resorts.) The resort was built as a TS so rooms are great. Very few ocean front room and many ocean view room just OK views. Garden view rooms vary greatly some have view of resort's interior garden and are great, some have view of parking lots.
The resort is right on the beach and has great places to eat and shop within easy walking distance. BUT the area is busy and so so relaxing.

Hope this helps

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are three MVC resorts on Kauai all three are very different.
Kauai Lagoons is on the hill above the the Beach club. small relaxed resort, great rooms, most have views, no beach access - basically have to drive to everywhere. Under the flight path of small airport
Beach Club - BIG converted hotel so kitchen is small. huge pool, there are a few places within easy walking distance. Great beach BUT on a bay not the ocean so some people don't like the water.

Waiohai (In Pui'po 30 minutes from other resorts.) The resort was built as a TS so rooms are great. Very few ocean front room and many ocean view room just OK views. Garden view rooms vary greatly some have view of resort's interior garden and are great, some have view of parking lots.
The resort is right on the beach and has great places to eat and shop within easy walking distance. BUT the area is busy and so so relaxing.

Hope this helps
Bill, yes. Your information is extremely helpful. I can make a better and more informed decision. Thank you.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I loved the hotel feel of Marriott's Kauai Beach, but Rick loved Waiohai. Very different, but to me, staying at Kauai Beach was so luxurious. I used the exercise room every day, I loved the escalator going down, I loved the grassy area, I loved walking to Duke's and Kalapaki Beach Hut. Never stayed at Lagoons.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually believe the Kalanipu'u (aka Kauai Lagoons) property was originally a Grand Residence. Only 7 units were sold there as Grand Residence. There was a planned Ritz Carlton Residences nearby. I don't know if "the ruins" are still there, but you can see them from the patios of most of the units at Kalanipu'u.
View attachment 18334

Those "ruins" have been completed. You can view them in Google Maps. They were also building some more residences as well.

gsb

Reaction score
The space that was to be the Ritz Residences is now a Timbers property and is quite nice.

Here’s my take on Kauai: We own at both Kauai Beach Club and Waiohai, but, when we’re using points we stay at Kauai Lagoons (Kalanipuu). The interior finishes at Lagoons are much nicer than the others. We really enjoy opening the wall of sliders and bringing the outdoors inside (or the indoors outside). It doesn’t have a beach but you can easily go to the beach at Kauai Beach Club. I don’t believe you have access to the hotel facilities but it’s a public beach.

Besides, if you need a 3 bedroom villa, Lagoons is your only option on Kauai.

My second favorite MVW resort on Kauai is the Beach Club. The pool is enormous, and we like sitting on the beach there looking across the bay at the lush green mountains. It’s so peaceful. We also like having the ability to walk to dinner at some of our favorite places on the island. While restaurants near Waiohai are certainly walkable they aren’t nearly as handy as at the Beach Club.

All three resorts are wonderful in their own way and each has its own personality. I don’t think you’ll regret staying at any of them.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Mrs.SLLP

You really cannot go wrong in Hawaii. As you search, you will find each island and each resort has it's pros and cons.

Our favorite is Maui Ocean Club. It's location is fantastic, amenties at the resort are wonderful (super pool, etc, etc) and we find that Maui is a good mix of relaxing and activities. Maui does tend to drive a higher demand from an island and MVC resort perspective. If this is your first trip to Hawaii...Maui is a good spot. As some indicated, it can be a bit busy during peak times.

On Kauai, we love Kauai Beach Club. While the villas are subpar, the grounds are wonderful. And the pool is enormous. Most TUGGers will say they like KBC the least of the Hawaii properties because of it's villas. Waiohai is smaller with a more intimate feel. Views are not as great, but it's right on Poipu beach (often rated a top beach). The villas are very nice as Waihoai. Kauai Lagoons is the luxurious of the resorts...with high end villas. But, it has very few amenities on-site. No restaurant. No beach. Pools are small. If you want quiet and luxurious..this would be your choice.

In general...Kauai is a quieter and more lush island than Maui. Both have plenty to do, just different feels. A 4k DC Pts difference..is a lot..assuming you are comparing the same dates and villa sizes and similar views.

You may also want to look at Ko Olina on Oahu. It is one of the overall nicest resorts I have been to in the MVC portfolio and the lagoons are very beautiful and safe. It's outside of Honolulu/Waikiki...which is good. A lot to do on Oahu (Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, North shore, etc).

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Waiohai, and have been there and to the Kauai beach club multiple times. We’ve been to the Maui Ocean club three times.

We love Kauai because it’s less commercial feeling than Maui. But to each his own. if you haven’t been to Maui it’s definitely worth going once to see everything Maui has to offer. The road to Hana, Haleakala...whales.

Our biggest complaint… Maui Ocean Club was overbuilt and there is insufficient parking, which means you may have to use valet parking, which we do not like with a rental car... We haven’t found that problem at Waiohai or KBC.

I agree with the poster who said the KBC is their favorite resort. Even though it doesn’t have a full kitchen I love that pool and the beach and walking to the local restaurants right there. We have frequently done one week there and a week at Waiohai. They both have pools and beach, for us that’s a perfect vacation.

The Kauai beach club is not as luxurious as the other resorts, so if you’re looking for that two bedroom feel, you won’t get it at the KBC.