• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott making it impossible to buy/sell resales

NotNew

Reaction score
We’re talking about prior to 2010 when they were selling weeks. How can they promise something that did not exist ?

They absolutely were promising it... the same way they promise you'll be able to go to XYZ because they're in the process of building it, even though XYZ might not open for 5 years (and not something they tell you).

NotNew

Reaction score
ink Pathways has more support than you give him credit for as this is starting to feel like trolling from someone that's only been on TUG for two days and hasn't taken the time to learn a bit from a whole bunch of other useful threads...assuming learning is the objective. Starting to lose track of what the whole point was...

Yes obviously if you can't discredit me I must be a troll. And just because I joined here with this account 2 days ago, doesnt mean I havent been here before or havent been reading threads for years. Common... geez.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes obviously if you can't discredit me I must be a troll. And just because I joined here with this account 2 days ago, doesnt mean I havent been here before or havent been reading threads for years. Common... geez.
I believe you are the same member who went by something like "I am new here" from about a year back, who has a bone to pick with Marriott. Likely to be a former/disgruntled MVC employee. You are now on my ignore list.

NotNew

Reaction score
I believe you are the same member who went by something like "I am new here" from about a year back, who has a bone to pick with Marriott. Likely to be a former/disgruntled MVC employee. You are now on my ignore list.

That's hilarious... yes, of course, only one person in the world would come here and disagree with the Marriott love fest going on. Ok, thanks.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
$507 per night.... is on the money... locking it off with wife and kids into a studio / 1 bedroom? I'm not seeing it happen actually so I sincerely doubt you are doing the $250 option.

Now if you do, there have been years off an on where you can get Marriott/Ocean/Hawaii studio's from Marriott at $199 a night --- many in fact.

AND at $507 a night... you aren't far off the actual nightly cost for Marriott/Ocean/Hawaii up until about 2010 or so.

The math is the math. You have it right before you. It’s not conjecture. Those are the real numbers. I actually do lock off but not always. I do have my 5 year old in the studio if it is just her. Heck, she sleeps with us at home and she has her own room. :) Like I stated earlier when you want a view of the ocean, your rates go up significantly anywhere from $400 to $600+ per night. That is not always a two bedroom either. Plus, they have resort fees and taxes. My $3550 includes everything. Also, you aren’t always getting a kitchen either or you may not even be beachfront.

If you want a separate bedroom in many places for your kids, you will be looking for an additional charge for an adjoining room so you’re are paying for two rooms. I will keep what I have. It worth it TO ME.

I like the idea of buying resales and being able to rent out part to recoup MF.

But I see so many units that never ever rent, even at hot locations like HAWAII and the CARIBBEAN.

Well, I don’t rent often because I use like using my time. However, I have been successful when I try.

NotNew

Reaction score
Apparently if you question all the issues with ever-increasing MF or anything else about Marriott. You are a) a troll or b) that one person from a year ago who didnt like Marriott. LOL

NotNew

Reaction score
Well, I don’t rent often because I use like using my time. However, I have been successful when I try.

Nice! Got lucky! Lots of people I talk with don't. Problem is there are so many units available for sale, resale and rent.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Not everyone here has a lovefest with Marriott but it works for some and they see the value in it so it seems unproductive to argue if they like it.
I've owned 5 different Marriott weeks (most one at a time) and currently don't have any. Some I made $500-$2000 from buy to sell while others may have lost $500-$1000 over what I purchased them for. Sometimes I feel I need the Marriott priority in II and other times I feel like the MF cost and exchange cost is too high for what I get. I may try to point out the costs vs benefits if someone is asking about buying but I don't think you need to be so confrontational about a system that works for many and for others not so much.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
$507 per night.... is on the money... locking it off with wife and kids into a studio / 1 bedroom? I'm not seeing it happen actually so I sincerely doubt you are doing the $250 option.

Now if you do, there have been years off an on where you can get Marriott/Ocean/Hawaii studio's from Marriott at $199 a night --- many in fact.

AND at $507 a night... you aren't far off the actual nightly cost for Marriott/Ocean/Hawaii up until about 2010 or so.

The math is the math. You have it right before you. It’s not conjecture. Those are the real numbers. I actually do lock off but not always. I do have my 5 year old in the studio if it is just her. Heck, she sleeps with us at home and she has her own room. :) Like I stated earlier when you want a view of the ocean, your rates go up significantly anywhere from $400 to $600+ per night. That is not always a two bedroom either. Plus, they have resort fees and taxes. My $3550 includes everything. Also, you aren’t always getting a kitchen either or you may not even be beachfront.

If you want a separate bedroom in many places for your kids, you will be looking for an additional charge for an adjoining room so you’re are paying for two rooms. I will keep what I have. It worth it TO ME.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Nice! Got lucky! Lots of people I talk with don't. Problem is there are so many units available for sale, resale and rent.
Maybe you need to be talking to different people. I have been able to reliably rent out my units on a regular basis and have it pay for my vacations. It's not luck, its knowing the market and buying the right timeshare.

NotNew

Reaction score
Not everyone here has a lovefest with Marriott but it works for some and they see the value in it so it seems unproductive to argue if they like it.
I've owned 5 different Marriott weeks (most one at a time) and currently don't have any. Some I made $500-$2000 from buy to sell while others may have lost $500-$1000 over what I purchased them for. Sometimes I feel I need the Marriott priority in II and other times I feel like the MF cost and exchange cost is too high for what I get. I may try to point out the costs vs benefits if someone is asking about buying but I don't think you need to be so confrontational about a system that works for many and for others not so much.

Nice... Good to see success with buying multiple and then selling them.... You should read through though who was/is being confrontational. Expressing an opinion is not confrontational... Calling someone a troll, being rude, angry or saying they must be so and so is in point of fact confrontational

NotNew

Reaction score
someone asked about other forums where I'm a member:

redweek forums
tripadviser vacation rental forums
timeshare forums
disboards forums
arubabound forums
wmowners.com forums

and a few others

Last edited:

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
They absolutely were promising it... the same way they promise you'll be able to go to XYZ because they're in the process of building it, even though XYZ might not open for 5 years (and not something they tell you).

Well, I place that responsibility on the buyer. The contract tells you what you’re going to get. The contract for Marriott gives all the details. You get your unit and you can use it, rent it and exchange it. That is all that is guaranteed. Also, if there are any extras such as incentives, those are also included in the contract.

You as the buyer have a week to review that contract and/or have a lawyer review it. That is your responsibility just as it is when you are buying any real estate. The buyer must do their due diligence. Obviously, the thousands of buyers that you have sat through sales presentations with did not do their homework.

NotNew

Reaction score

Well that's a great value for you then if you are able to lock off and use your units that way.

NotNew

Reaction score
Well, I place that responsibility on the buyer. The contract tells you what you’re going to get. The contract for Marriott gives all the details. You get your unit and you can use it, rent it and exchange it. That is all that is guaranteed. Also, if there are any extras such as incentives, those are also included in the contract.

You as the buyer have a week to review that contract and/or have a lawyer review it. That is your responsibility just as it is when you are buying any real estate. The buyer must do their due diligence. Obviously, the thousands of buyers that you have sat through sales presentations with did not do their homework.

Easy to say it's on the buyer, but we all know Marriott sales plays hardball even if they claim never to use hardball tactics. Try to leave a sales meeting, especially if they've promised you something to get you there. Or if you are at the almost sale phase and they have your ID. You aren't getting out of there.

We all want to believe in the pie they are selling us...

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Easy to say it's on the buyer, but we all know Marriott sales plays hardball even if they claim never to use hardball tactics. Try to leave a sales meeting, especially if they've promised you something to get you there. Or if you are at the almost sale phase and they have your ID. You aren't getting out of there.

Like I stated, you have a whole week to rescind your purchase and get your money back. All it takes is a letter or email. Secondly, I have never bought my properties at a resort. I have bought them from the comfort of my home where I set the timetable at my convenience and I can control things. I have sat through several sale presentations/updates but I know how to say, “No thank you” consistently.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I've left at least 3 where they were being aggressive and rude. I told them I'm done and walked to the front to get my gift. If you're staying, that's on you. No one is tying you down and putting a gun to your head. If you want to leave, leave. I've never had an issue telling them I'm leaving.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With all due respect, I think you might want to spend a bit more time reading through this forum. A lot of the assumptions you make is made on limited knowledge. There is a wealth of information on this site and many great observations are in conflict with what you believe to be true. There is always something to learn

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Certainly something odd about this whole thing. Lots of short accusatory statements looking for a rise. No real flow or logic--just a need to challenge and continually respond. We've seen this before.

NotNew

Reaction score
With all due respect, I think you might want to spend a bit more time reading through this forum. A lot of the assumptions you make is made on limited knowledge. There is a wealth of information on this site and many great observations are in conflict with what you believe to be true. There is always something to learn

LIMITED KNOWLEDGE? LOL. I've been a timeshare owner for 25 years.

NotNew

Reaction score
Certainly something odd about this whole thing. Lots of short accusatory statements looking for a rise. No real flow or logic--just a need to challenge and continually respond. We've seen this before.

Yes, certainly strange to ask questions of MF... Wouldn't want to have a discussion about MF. No flow or logic? Yes, I'm a troll because I asked questions and have opinions.

NotNew

Reaction score
Like I stated, you have a whole week to rescind your purchase and get your money back. All it takes is a letter or email. Secondly, I have never bought my properties at a resort. I have bought them from the comfort of my home where I set the timetable at my convenience and I can control things. I have sat through several sale presentations/updates but I know how to say, “No thank you” consistently.

Lucky you. I wish my family started at resales, not full price.

NotNew

Reaction score
I've left at least 3 where they were being aggressive and rude. I told them I'm done and walked to the front to get my gift. If you're staying, that's on you. No one is tying you down and putting a gun to your head. If you want to leave, leave. I've never had an issue telling them I'm leaving.

Well, if they have your ID and wont return it to you after you've asked. Not much else you can do, as one example. As other examples, after sitting there for an hour or more, and you do go to the front but no one will help you. That's on them.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My last Marriott presentation was 25 minutes, door to door. I got my gift. I've never owned a Marriott, and never will, because I can find I can stay in them when I want to without paying the upfront Marriott buy-in fee or MF cost (but thank you to all that do!) at a cost that is waaaay less, even with trade fees.

But, in all seriousness---what is your point here? What is the background and the context? Why made you say to yourself two days ago, "I think I need to create an account on this site and rant about Marriott?" especially since, as you pointed out, you already are a member of many other boards where you could have posted this same rant? I'm not being sarcastic; I'm genuinely interested in what you want to have happen as an outcome of this conversation.

NotNew

Reaction score
Would like to buy Marriott resales, really would, but every year, Marriott gets more greedy and devalues their own product while simultaneously artificially raising prices. From ~$10 a point a few years ago (at developer cost) to an artificially inflated ~$15 a point today (with absolutely NO market driving the increases except for corporate greed).

If timeshares are deeded real estate and the original purchaser already paid the developer costs. Why does Marriott make it impossible to resell and get back any of your investment? Hyatt, as an example, never did this, it was simply a few hundred $$$ for the transfer fees and the buyer retained all the value. Marriott takes all privileges away from those who buy resales, except the right to stay at home resort.

Deeded timeshares MF go up 3-5% every year like clockwork, often without any precipitating expenses or event driving them -- other than Marriott charging more management fees. Further when Marriott rents deeded timeshares, only 10-15% of these monies are returned to the timeshare system to offset actual costs, while Marriott pockets 85-90% for fees. If 85-90% was instead returned to the timeshare system, MF would actual remain fairly constant.

Points are also supposed to be real estate, but Marriott makes it even harder to resell points and get back any value. Marriott now charges an artificial rate of $3 per point to register resale points (up from an already exorbitant $2 previously). With points, owners are left paying MF on unsold property in the trust, when Marriott would have otherwise have had to pay these expenses. Point MF which were at inception more than deeded timeshares (because points owners are paying MF on property no one yet owns) and have only increased over time. A whopping .58 per point, on the way to .60 for 2020.

With points, two things would dramatically reduce the per point MF. #1 Getting Marriott to foot the bill (as it should have all along) for unused/unsold property in the land trust), #2 Reducing the exorbitant management fees Marriott charges owners. These are examples, there are more of course, but these are some of the reasons Marriott (and other timeshare companies) went to a points-based system. Another: No HOAs for oversight of Marriott mismanagement and overcharges.

Left unsaid another reason for the move to points: Marriott literally has a license to sell AIR (points backed by no tangible property). Marriott can do this because owner use their points for non-property stays: tours, cruises, etc which are the worst use of points as all you are getting back in value terms are your maintenance fees (and completely omitting all the up front monies paid in).

Speaking of upfront costs: Having sat in on quite a few sales pitches, every salesman always tells my family members to forget about the monies they paid upfront and only calculate the cost based on their maintenance fees. As in "your 7-night Hawaii stay is only costing you $300 a night, your saving 60%)" "but what about the money paid upfront" i say. "you've already paid that and got back the value in previous stays" "point of fact: no we havent, in fact, when I calculate all up front costs, MF, and other fees, were paying $800 a night and we will continue paying $800 a night because the MF never go away and only increase over time" "no no that's not how it works, you dont understand the system." REAL CONVERSATION, REAL ACTUAL COSTS.

Points, even at, 50% of developer costs are way overvalued. Primarily because Marriott artificially sets and raises the pricing, but also because Marriott not only rolled out points in the middle of the largest economic downturn in modern history but had the gall to actually inflate point pricing 150% relative to current deeded pricing. AND people lined up to pay it. Head shake.

So my long rant on all this... Looking forward to hearing yours as well as opposing views.

So this is the OP. Not quite sure why I can't express my opinion w/o supposedly having some grandiose alterior motives. It's a discussion forum. AND IMHO Marriott is increasingly making it difficult to buy/sell their product as resales.