• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Legacy Priority

seagar2217

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just called by a Sales Rep advising me of a"special program" whereby Marriott was waiving any fees for converting a legacy week into their points program. Supposedly I would receive all the benefits I now enjoy at no additional costs (either in needing to purchase more points to enjoy my same 3BR villa or maintenance fees). My two points on this are: 1) I normally use this week every year, so I see no real need to convert, and 2) If I convert would I still be guaranteed to receive my same type of unit at my current home resort on HHI every year?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I was just called by a Sales Rep advising me of a"special program" whereby Marriott was waiving any fees for converting a legacy week into their points program. Supposedly I would receive all the benefits I now enjoy at no additional costs (either in needing to purchase more points to enjoy my same 3BR villa or maintenance fees). My two points on this are: 1) I normally use this week every year, so I see no real need to convert, and 2) If I convert would I still be guaranteed to receive my same type of unit at my current home resort on HHI every year?

Welcome to TUG, seagar2217!

Marriott doesn't "convert legacy weeks into points." What they offer is an opportunity to enroll eligible Weeks into their Destination Club Points system, while occasionally they offer incentive programs that either reduce the enrollment fees of eligible Weeks, or, relax the eligibility rules and allow enrollment of officially-ineligible Weeks if DC Points are purchased.

Once enrolled, in addition to all of the usage options that you've always had with your Week, it can be exchanged on an annual basis for an allotted amount of DC Points. Enrolling a Week that's only ever used at the home resort doesn't make much sense because you'll be charged the annual DC Club Dues fee while not taking advantage of any of the DC Points usage options. If you routinely lock-off a Week, or exchange a Week or its components through II, then enrollment may make sense because those basic transaction fees are covered by the Club Dues fee. If you enroll your Week and elect to convert it to DC Points in a given year, you lose the home resort advantage of the Week for that year and will be able to use the allotted Points based on availability and the Points Chart of any resort including your home resort.

This forum has a Points FAQ which may help you to understand.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome. We've seen a lot of questions about this lately. Sue pretty much covers the summary.

With enrollment being free, the only thing you're paying for is the annual club dues. If you were paying an II membership fee in the past, then it's a wash and pretty much a good deal. If you never exchange and always use your home resort, there is still value in enrolling. That value comes in the ability to have other members transfer DC points to your account (renting points). Just cause you enroll doesn't mean you have to convert your week to points.

taffy19

Reaction score
Welcome. We've seen a lot of questions about this lately. Sue pretty much covers the summary.

With enrollment being free, the only thing you're paying for is the annual club dues. If you were paying an II membership fee in the past, then it's a wash and pretty much a good deal. If you never exchange and always use your home resort, there is still value in enrolling. That value comes in the ability to have other members transfer DC points to your account (renting points). Just cause you enroll doesn't mean you have to convert your week to points.
We only own one Marriott Legacy week but are enrolled because of this reason. If they would ever discontinue that perk, we will not stay enrolled.

seagar2217

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG, seagar2217!

Marriott doesn't "convert legacy weeks into points." What they offer is an opportunity to enroll eligible Weeks into their Destination Club Points system, while occasionally they offer incentive programs that either reduce the enrollment fees of eligible Weeks, or, relax the eligibility rules and allow enrollment of officially-ineligible Weeks if DC Points are purchased.

Once enrolled, in addition to all of the usage options that you've always had with your Week, it can be exchanged on an annual basis for an allotted amount of DC Points. Enrolling a Week that's only ever used at the home resort doesn't make much sense because you'll be charged the annual DC Club Dues fee while not taking advantage of any of the DC Points usage options. If you routinely lock-off a Week, or exchange a Week or its components through II, then enrollment may make sense because those basic transaction fees are covered by the Club Dues fee. If you enroll your Week and elect to convert it to DC Points in a given year, you lose the home resort advantage of the Week for that year and will be able to use the allotted Points based on availability and the Points Chart of any resort including your home resort.

This forum has a Points FAQ which may help you to understand.
Thank you so much for your fast response and information.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

We only own one Marriott Legacy week but are enrolled because of this reason. If they would ever discontinue that perk, we will not stay enrolled.

This is such a good point (ha!) that somehow always slips my mind. Maybe not anymore, though, now that I've added this to the "Usage Rentals" section of the Points FAQ:

>>*Note the liberal rental possibilities are the deciding factor for some Weeks Owners in favor of enrolling eligible Weeks which they may not otherwise consider enrolling. That's because it gives them a DC account to which Points may be transferred in and thus, complete control over any reservations that are effectively rentals from other DC Members.<<

Thanks for the reminder!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
What everyone said above sums it up. As noted, the sales person lied to you (they often do), as there is an additional cost of annual DC enrollment dues.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
OK, free DC enrollment is news to me. I'd appreciate if someone would help me out. I'm a legacy owner with one week (it's a white week 2BR lockoff at DSV2). It was purchased direct from Marriott well before I found TUG. Steve's spreadsheet shows that a DSV2 white week is only worth 2150 points if I were to enroll and convert it to points. I never did enroll for a variety of reasons (one of which was that I figured that I couldn't do much with only 2150 points and also I didn't like the idea of paying an enrollment fee to Marriott for the "privilege" of being able to convert to so few points), but I would reconsider enrolling if it's now being offered as a freebie. I also own a second (non-Marriott) timeshare in Sedona which was purchased resale (after I found TUG - thank you all). As an outsider, I have always been confused about the DC program, probably because I was not forced to learn it. So....

1. The Points FAQ that Sue refers to says that:
All Members must pay the annual Club Dues fee which is based on the number of DC Points that a Trust Member owns, or, for which an Exchange Member is eligible through all Enrolled Weeks, or, a combination of both. Effective with the 2016 invoices the fees are:
  • $185 Owners and Select Members
  • $225 Executive and Presidential Members
  • $250 Chairman's Club Members
So, does this mean that my annual DC dues would be $185? With only 2150 potential points, I think I'm quite low on the totem pole. I have no intention of purchasing another timeshare or buying more points now.

2. Usually we lock off our unit and exchange through II. (Our unit also can convert to 110,000 Marriott hotel points every other year. I used to do that, but stopped a few years ago because the devaluations in the Marriott hotel program made 110,000 Marriott Reward points much less valuable than they used to be.) Our trades are often into other Marriott timeshare properties. If I understand, we could continue to make week for week trades rather than convert to points and any Marriott to Marriott trades would be covered by the DC dues with no additional trading fee. Is that right?

3. Two other questions about trades:
a. What would be the fee for Marriott to non-Marriott trades?
b. Would we still have to pay Interval upgrade fees if we were to trade our 1BR for a 2BR or our studio for a 1BR? (Our success rate in trading for a larger unit is high.)

4. Since I also own a non-Marriott timeshare, does this mean I will end up with two separate Interval accounts, one for my Marriott week and a separate one for the non-Marriott? The cost of a separate II account for the non-Marriott week is a downside to enrollment, I suppose.

5. Finally, what about our annual maintenance fees? Would it just be the usual annual maintenance fee for DSV2, just as we pay now, or would it be something different?

Thanks very much for any help or advice. I apologize for what are probably some very basic questions.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
OK, free DC enrollment is news to me. I'd appreciate if someone would help me out. I'm a legacy owner with one week (it's a white week 2BR lockoff at DSV2). It was purchased direct from Marriott well before I found TUG. Steve's spreadsheet shows that a DSV2 white week is only worth 2150 points if I were to enroll and convert it to points. I never did enroll for a variety of reasons (one of which was that I figured that I couldn't do much with only 2150 points and also I didn't like the idea of paying an enrollment fee to Marriott for the "privilege" of being able to convert to so few points), but I would reconsider enrolling if it's now being offered as a freebie. I also own a second (non-Marriott) timeshare in Sedona which was purchased resale (after I found TUG - thank you all). As an outsider, I have always been confused about the DC program, probably because I was not forced to learn it. So....

All Members must pay the annual Club Dues fee which is based on the number of DC Points that a Trust Member owns, or, for which an Exchange Member is eligible through all Enrolled Weeks, or, a combination of both. Effective with the 2016 invoices the fees are:
So, does this mean that my annual DC dues would be $185? With only 2150 potential points, I think I'm quite low on the totem pole. I have no intention of purchasing another timeshare or buying more points now.

2. Usually we lock off our unit and exchange through II. (Our unit also can convert to 110,000 Marriott hotel points every other year. I used to do that, but stopped a few years ago because the devaluations in the Marriott hotel program made 110,000 Marriott Reward points much less valuable than they used to be.) Our trades are often into other Marriott timeshare properties. If I understand, we could continue to make week for week trades rather than convert to points and any Marriott to Marriott trades would be covered by the DC dues with no additional trading fee. Is that right?

b. Would we still have to pay Interval upgrade fees if we were to trade our 1BR for a 2BR or our studio for a 1BR? (Our success rate in trading for a larger unit is high.)

4. Since I also own a non-Marriott timeshare, does this mean I will end up with two separate Interval accounts, one for my Marriott week and a separate one for the non-Marriott? The cost of a separate II account for the non-Marriott week is a downside to enrollment, I suppose.

5. Finally, what about our annual maintenance fees? Would it just be the usual annual maintenance fee for DSV2, just as we pay now, or would it be something different?

Thanks very much for any help or advice. I apologize for what are probably some very basic questions.
1. You would pay the $185
2. Correct
3a... not sure
3b... Yes
4. Correct
5. Yes, just the MF's for your underlying week.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
As to your #2, if you Lock off, and trade each side to a Marriott you are now paying:
Lockoff: $ 80
II Fees (1 yr):$ 89
2 trades: $248
====
TOTAL: $417
You would get this all for the $185 annual DC fee, and free changes, re-trades, etc. You still have to pay for upgrade fees (which Marriott does not disclose to you.)

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my questions. TUG has always been a very friendly and helpful place (and, by the way, I just renewed for 3 more years).

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
So I tried calling Marriott Owner Services (1-800-845-4226) to inquire further. The rep that I got on the phone told me that there is still a $595 DC enrollment fee.

Who are you guys talking to? Anyone care to suggest a different place or person to call?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
So I tried calling Marriott Owner Services (1-800-845-4226) to inquire further. The rep that I got on the phone told me that there is still a $595 DC enrollment fee.

Who are you guys talking to? Anyone care to suggest a different place or person to call?
This offer is apparently in conjunction with your agreement to take a sales tour. Lots of details here:
marriott-waiving-destination-points-enrolment-fee

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

I think the free enrollment being discussed only if you sit through a 90 minute sales presentation in conjunction with an MVC stay.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

That assumes they don't own a non Marriott II resort. Since they do, they'd have to pay for both II membership's to continue to use II with both.

1. Yes, an extra $185 that covers the II membership, lockoff fee and makes Marriott to Marriott free (currently for all).
  2. I can't speak to the before/after enrollment rewards points conversions, I've never done it and don't look at it because it was a bad deal even in it's best day.
  3. The exchange fee for any exchange that lists non Marriott's would be the same as it is now, this has always been the case by the way. IF you list a Marriott and non Marriott both in an exchange, you pay the higher fee and if you match to Marriott, you still pay the higher fee. The only way to avoid the fee is to list ONLY Marriott's in the exchange. My understanding (I haven't look at this as much as some here), it you'd still have to pay the unit upgrade fee.
  4. Yes or you could drop the non corporate account and exchange the other through means other than Marriott. My take, assuming it's not starwood or some other company with an internal exchange preference through II, is it's generally better to convert, drop the second II account and use independents for a single additional week but YMMV. In part it depends on how much you're use it, how easy it'd be to rent and whether it's in an area that's better served by one or more of the independent's.
  5. I believe it's the same plus the additional fee mentioned above.