• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Layoffs and Furloughs in Hawaii

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
WOW.

I've sat in Marriott Vacation Club sales presentations, even purchased direct from MVC several times. They did their job, i.e. selling the product's features and making sure I understood there were caveats, even requiring me to initial and sign a piece of paper stating the caveats *and the rescission process* in simple terms. Then I did my job, reviewing the paperwork during the rescission period. It will always be mind-boggling to me that some people buy something that requires an ongoing financial commitment, and then blame the people who sold it to them.

Calling a worldwide pandemic that's ravaging the tourism industry and erasing the salespersons' livelihoods "karma" for their customers' willing ignorance, though, that's a new one. There's nothing about this that's, "a good news story."
There is good and bad in every profession. MVC and VSE sales reps from my experience sometimes slightly bent the truth to attempt to close the sale, aside from that they were honest for the most part. Agreed, Losing a job because of this pandemic isn’t something to Cheer about because buyers didn’t do their research. That’s speaking for MVC/VSE sales. We do know there are other system sales reps that are slimier than a slug but that’s not who we are referencing here.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW.

I've sat in Marriott Vacation Club sales presentations, even purchased direct from MVC several times. They did their job, i.e. selling the product's features and making sure I understood there were caveats, even requiring me to initial and sign a piece of paper stating the caveats *and the rescission process* in simple terms. Then I did my job, reviewing the paperwork during the rescission period. It will always be mind-boggling to me that some people buy something that requires an ongoing financial commitment, and then blame the people who sold it to them.

Calling a worldwide pandemic that's ravaging the tourism industry and erasing the salespersons' livelihoods "karma" for their customers' willing ignorance, though, that's a new one. There's nothing about this that's, "a good news story."
I am with you on this. While they sell overpriced products (compared to the resale market), many of them do a good job or at least half good job. But the quality of their service just does not matter in how I feel in times like this. Many of them have a family to feed, put their kids through school, mortgage etc. and I am not going to be happy if anyone is going through a rough time.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW.

I've seen a few individuals along the way that I would have been happy to see them lose their job, apparently one did as a direct result of my complaints. But that's true in any industry, some people aren't good people, good employees or suited for that job. Overall though I am sympathetic to anyone who is affected in a negative way and for specific situations where I'm not unhappy for the individual, I still feel for their families. If they're good people trying to do the job appropriate and to the best of the abilities, it's sad.

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I find the furlough of hospitality workers until 1-8-21 most interesting. They're kissing off Thanksgiving, X-mas and New Years. I'm assuming they are HOPING that 1/1/21 is when people will start being able to return to their timeshares? Of course they can always end a furlough earlier, but the message they are sending to those people is, if you need a job, you better start looking.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
I find the furlough of hospitality workers until 1-8-21 most interesting. They're kissing off Thanksgiving, X-mas and New Years. I'm assuming they are HOPING that 1/1/21 is when people will start being able to return to their timeshares? Of course they can always end a furlough earlier, but the message they are sending to those people is, if you need a job, you better start looking.

I thought the date was interesting too. It’s like they know something we do not.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I'd hope Vistana/Marriott would give some relocation assistance to the layed off employees, but probably will only do so for mgmt level ones...

I think those staff who originally came from the mainland to work, will be most likely to move back. Those who have lived all or most of their lives in Hawaii, will try to eke it out, unless they have family/friends on mainland willing to help in a transition move.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious about the "retraining" part of the notification. I was classed this way once after a lay-off and was able to take classes while collecting unemployment. Was not required to job search during that time.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Stay at home order extended on Oahu for another 14 days till Sept 24.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dave6485

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Wow, it looks like they are obliterating their sales offices in Hawaii. I don't know how many people work there or the split between sales reps and back office support. I suspect they probably have a lot of back office stuff that is done for sales and marketing at each location and perhaps they will try to centralize that in Orlando or elsewhere and just keep the sales people on site. That is usually how it work, you don't usually terminate the people that bring in the money. Unless of course they think things will be really bad for a long time.
I am not happy or sad sales is affected. Its the sandbox they play in. I just hope we, as owners don't subsidize their cost. The other staff is a different story.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was a coordinated WARN release but most of the hotel chains.
Sort of a shot across the bow at the Governor and Mayor.
Saying either figure out a way to open or this is what is going to happen.
I think the January was to let them know that if they don't get an answer now, then they can kiss off the season.
Most folks have a 60 day window, so we are getting close to 60 days before thanksgiving.

I don't think it is a bluff, they will have to do it if things don't open, but it looks like they are hoping for some sanity to reach leadership.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
This was a coordinated WARN release but most of the hotel chains.
Sort of a shot across the bow at the Governor and Mayor.
Saying either figure out a way to open or this is what is going to happen.
I think the January was to let them know that if they don't get an answer now, then they can kiss off the season.
Most folks have a 60 day window, so we are getting close to 60 days before thanksgiving.

I don't think it is a bluff, they will have to do it if things don't open, but it looks like they are hoping for some sanity to reach leadership.
I agree that this was completely coordinated. The ironic part is that the underlying reason for the WARN notices was probably to embarrass corporations who are going through downsizing. In this instance, it seems to be a boomerang for those running the state and is turning into an embarrassment for them.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
That's great you weren't lied to, deceived through half-truths and numbers on a white board that did not include all expenses or future increases over the fake 10 year example, among other falsities, and you were smart enough to understand that what they say is a bunch of B.S. compared to the contract, etc.

Maybe you didn't get a salesperson that pressured people who aren't particularly strong willed or able to overcome direct pressure. Maybe your salesperson didn't tell you that the product that Marriott sold you just a year ago, is now crap and worthless nad now you have to buy more points to make your product worth anything. Maybe not all these customers realize that the big company behind the sales-weasel, errr, salespeople, would allow them to lie and then put language in a contract that protects them from the lies. Sadly lots of people not as savvy as you, maybe elderly with diminishing faculties, or newlyweds just learning about the sharks of the world weren't so lucky.
AJCts411 didn't say anything about the customers being willingly ignorant, that was made up by you to attack them.

Karma is karma, we can't control it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's great you weren't lied to, deceived through half-truths and numbers on a white board that did not include all expenses or future increases over the fake 10 year example, among other falsities, and you were smart enough to understand that what they say is a bunch of B.S. compared to the contract, etc.

Maybe you didn't get a salesperson that pressured people who aren't particularly strong willed or able to overcome direct pressure. Maybe your salesperson didn't tell you that the product that Marriott sold you just a year ago, is now crap and worthless nad now you have to buy more points to make your product worth anything. Maybe not all these customers realize that the big company behind the sales-weasel, errr, salespeople, would allow them to lie and then put language in a contract that protects them from the lies. Sadly lots of people not as savvy as you, maybe elderly with diminishing faculties, or newlyweds just learning about the sharks of the world weren't so lucky.

AJCts411 didn't say anything about the customers being willingly ignorant, that was made up by you to attack them.

Karma is karma, we can't control it.
I'm sure you realize that without sales there's no MVC or any other timeshare. Thus we are all complicit by playing in the sandbox. If we truly wanted to distance ourselves we wouldn't participate and would sell off everything we own in the space. There are many good people that are in timeshare sales but the % is likely better with the good companies like Disney, MVC, Hilton, etc and less with some of the other companies like Bluegreen, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Westgate, etc. My view of who/what is OK would follow the line of being honest or dishonest, not whether it was appropriate for the buyer. IMO it's still buyer beware just like it is was automobiles or any other sales process where emotions tend to be involved. Heck funeral directors are some of the best at up-selling because of the emotions and interpersonal interactions involved.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

What else should it be called other than, "willingly ignorant?" Seriously. It's not meant as an insult but an acknowledgement in the truest sense of the words, and this isn't exactly a new topic that's never been discussed on TUG.

Regardless of how much nuance, misinformation, reliance on double-speak, lies (whatever you want to call it) the salespeople engage in, when you purchase direct from MVW the papers you sign include a disclosure document (Ownership Assurance Checklist) that itemizes the basics of Marriott timeshare ownership including the availability/reservation metric, exchanging through MVW and/or II, ongoing MF's based on actual costs, incidental fees for non-home usage, an acknowledgement that rental income is not guaranteed, the Marriott Rewards/Bonvoy partnership, etc. Regardless of what they may say to play up the positives and play down the negatives, which is what salespeople in all walks of life are trained to do, the buyer walks out knowing that all of these basics can impact his/her successful use of the timeshare AND that s/he is entitled to a mandatory rescission period during which the POS can be reviewed.

Maybe the benefit of the doubt should have been given in the days before the internet made it so much easier to seek out other owners and learn from their experiences, but in this day and age I find it mind-boggling that people will drop thousands of dollars, will take out a mortgage in some cases, and then fault the salespeople for their own lack of attention to how the purchase will actually work for them. "Timeshares." The word has such a negative connotation that it's the only industry for which Buyer Beware apparently shouldn't be in play, for which we're willing to put all of the blame on the companies and none on the customers. That simply makes no sense to me in the context of this thread which is about Marriott salespeople, the overwhelming majority of whom are not in the same realm of the more notorious players.

... Karma is karma, we can't control it.

Karma, fate, divine intervention ... whatever you want to call it. The post in this thread that said the salespeople's COVID-related loss of their jobs is somehow deserved because they're salespeople, that it's "good news" in a gigantic sea of bad, is IMO deplorable.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question? Is Marriott's furloughing hospitality workers and some management staff in the United States ? Some of our contacts in MB, HHI and Williamsburg are not answering our email messages?
I know all the recreation and restaurant staff were furlough in February and March 2020 in Williamsburg, VA (Manor Club @ Ford Colony TS).

Last edited:

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question? Is Marriott's furloughing hospitality workers and some management staff in the United States ? Some of our contacts in MB, HHI and Williamsburg are not answering our email messages?
I know all the recreation and restaurant staff were furlough in February and March 2020.
Yes, but not as large so no warn requirements. US still has people staying, unlike Hawaii where it is in complete lock down.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have Marriott's started recalling back layoff and furlough employees in Hawaii?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Have Marriott's started recalling back layoff and furlough employees in Hawaii?

Yes, We were at the Maui ocean Club the first week of Feb, and spoke with several workers who indicated that was their first or second week back at work.

We heard similar comments from employees at other businesses around the island.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
At MKO and most every one has been recalled back except some workers at Longboards. This week it is at 94% occupancy and close to pre covid times. We are scheduled to go to Tier3 in Honolulu. Hopefully the pool reservation system will be modified or eliminated. Aulani next door is way more crowded and does not use a reservation system. It is great that things are returning to some normalcy.