• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Lakeshore Reserve - comments on recent visit

jaym

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just completed a FL getaway after an arduous moving process into our new home in March.
We reserved Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve in Orlando a few months ago for several nights. Although we stayed at Lakeshore Reserve over 10 years ago, we hadn't visited Orlando for about 6 years or so.

We didn't visit any of the many Orlando amusement parks. We did have an outstanding dinner at the Orlando Capital Grille.
Mostly traveled there to experience a warm and sunny getaway in FL, unwind a bit, & relax by the pool.
The complex at Lakeshore is still a great location. The J.W. Marriott lazy river is quite nice and the grounds around the pool offer plenty of space to lounge.
Although we were informed by the Lakeshore reception desk that the sharing arrangement between J.W. Marriott and MVC visitors will likely be ending in the near future.
I am posting today to express my concerns about the condition of the Townhome Villas at Lakeshore (Capo d'Orlando Bldg.)
We didn't stay there during our first visit when the resort was only a couple of years old. I think we stayed in Palermo 1 bedroom first visit.
Although extensive renovations are planned through end of 2022, there have been virtually no prior updates to these tired and worn Townhome villas.
Carpet/flooring, furnishings, paint all appeared below the overall quality we've come to expect from MVC resorts. The room was very dark. We also required maintenance for the malfunctioning shower door in master bathroom. The ceiling fan had a malfunctioning controller and only operated at a low speed. We had insects in the kitchen area until maintenance treated upon our request. Generally, very disappointed with the villa's appearance & condition. We would likely not stay in the Townhome villas again, even with renovations.

Would like to hear from recent MVC owners and visitors about their experiences as well as how owners feel about use of annual maintenance fees over a 12 year period! What has property management allocated to with those ever increasing annual payments by owners?!

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lakeshore has really really high maintenance fees since the resort was never fully built out. With only 84 units it’s a very expensive resort to own!

That said I exchanged in January for a stay in a 2BR at Lakeshore and loved it. I agree the decor was dated but everything was perfectly fine for us and the lazy river pool was the absolute warmest heated pool I’ve ever been in. We had temps in the high 40s a couple days and could still swim comfortably! (Getting out of the water was cold, but the water itself was soooo warm!)

I wouldn’t hesitate to exchange in again but I would certainly never own a week there!!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The Palermo building is great. We had some great units there. I would love to stay again, but it's a tough trade, and maybe it's because they are doing updates????

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We just returned on Saturday from a week long stay there. We were in a 2BR dedicated unit in Messina. We have also stayed in a 3BR townhome in Capo d'Orlando, a 2BR lock off as well as a deluxe studio over the past two years. The latest 2BR dedicated unit was in the best condition. We didn't find our 3BR townhouse to be all that bad. I think they are dark just because a lot of the vegetation has grown up around them. The 2BR lock off unit was in the worst condition with peeling paint and pieces of plaster coming off in the bathroom. The rooms are certainly in need of a refresh.

While the decor is dated, I fear the new decor is going to give it a sterile look. There is something a unique about the interior design of the units that you don't see anywhere else, even if the soft goods are worn.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
As for the use agreement with the adjacent properties, I can see that going away. While we were there, we were told it was only Monday through Thursday. I am sure when the agreement was written up it was every day and the hotel properties keep chipping away at it while still taking the same amount from the timeshare owners. We didn't go to the hotel even once. I don't know how much the Lakeshore Reserve owners are paying in their MF for hotel access, but it is probably money that could be better spent elsewhere instead of giving it to a hotel that really just wants to try to block you out as much as possible over weekends and holidays and really only wants you to go there to spend money on food and beverage.

If anyone is interested in watching, I did do a resort walkthrough video while we were there.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott grand vista
Ko olina
Canyon villas
We were there in January and the rooms were dates but very clean. The JW pool was under construction so we didn’t have access to it either way but enjoyed walking the property and eating at the restaurants at both adjacent properties! Nice to not have to leave often

jaym

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses and comments from your visits. The "compound" at Lakeshore Reserve is great and as I mentioned, most MVC properties update some interior components within a 12 year period. That's why it was quite surprising to see such decline in the interior as this resort has much potential for an excellent stay in Orlando.
Some Lakeshore owners bearing the cost might be upset that the hotel use agreement sunk cost will not be adjusted from future maintenance fees. Property management will certainly justify fees paid with the costly and extensive renovations taking place there this year.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I have loved every stay at Lakeshore. Some wear and tear in the units but liveable. Lakeshore does not seem to do the 5 year soft goods refresh at other Marriott resorts. The carpet and furniture were the same in the units I have been in for the past 9 years or so.

Sad to see the JW Marriott access being removed. As long as it was warm, if allowed we would venture there at least once a week. Love JW lazy river on a hot day!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

MVCOwner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista 2 & 3 bedroom
I have loved every stay at Lakeshore. Some wear and tear in the units but liveable. Lakeshore does not seem to do the 5 year soft goods refresh at other Marriott resorts. The carpet and furniture were the same in the units I have been in for the past 9 years or so.

Sad to see the JW Marriott access being removed. As long as it was warm, if allowed we would venture there at least once a week. Love JW lazy river on a hot day!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

It isn’t actually that bad…..hopefully!! I just confirmed a 3 bedroom for late October and on the Interval confirmation it indicated that use of the JW Pool was available at a cost of $50. I hope that was for the week and not per day.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This is what the confirmation indicates. Spelling mistake is theirs;
Important Advisements
Beginning AUG 1, 2022 a $50 fee will be required to use the pool at the adjecent JW Marriott hotel.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Are there any Lakeshore Reserve owners here that could send me a copy of the annual budget for 2022?

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Oceana Palms, Asia Pacific Points
It isn’t actually that bad…..hopefully!! I just confirmed a 3 bedroom for late October and on the Interval confirmation it indicated that use of the JW Pool was available at a cost of $50. I hope that was for the week and not per day.
This is the verbiage in my DP reservation:

Starting Aug. 1, 2022, an entry fee of $50 per unit per day will be collected for groups up to four people.

I think it's definitely not worth it for that. I'd rather go to an actual water park for the day. Funny thing is, we always eat lunch at the JW pool and spend over $100. Sometimes, we're the only ones there.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the verbiage in my DP reservation:

Starting Aug. 1, 2022, an entry fee of $50 per unit per day will be collected for groups up to four people.

I think it's definitely not worth it for that. I'd rather go to an actual water park for the day. Funny thing is, we always eat lunch at the JW pool and spend over $100. Sometimes, we're the only ones there.
Holy smokes that's expensive. I might consider it for a day if we weren't a family of 5.

I wonder if that decreases the demand to get into Lakeshore?

Do hotel guests ever head over to Lakeshore?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Holy smokes that's expensive. I might consider it for a day if we weren't a family of 5.

I wonder if that decreases the demand to get into Lakeshore?

Do hotel guests ever head over to Lakeshore?
Pool gates at Lakeshore Reserve are keyed. I don't think they are keyed at the JW pool? Are they going to rely on wristbands at the JW?

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pool gates at Lakeshore Reserve are keyed. I don't think they are keyed at the JW pool? Are they going to rely on wristbands at the JW?
They are keyed at the JW as well. They do also have wristbands at busy times, like holiday weekends. My understanding is that JW guests do not have access to Lakeshore. That could get ugly as there are 998 rooms at the JW.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
They are keyed at the JW as well. They do also have wristbands at busy times, like holiday weekends. My understanding is that JW guests do not have access to Lakeshore. That could get ugly as there are 998 rooms at the JW.
We only went over to the JW a couple of times and I can't remember that much about it. Did your Lakeshore Reserve room keys work at the pool gates for the JW?

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We only went over to the JW a couple of times and I can't remember that much about it. Did your Lakeshore Reserve room keys work at the pool gates for the JW?
No, you needed to get a separate "gold" key at the Lakeshore front desk. Not a single one they ever gave me worked. The only time I had a working one is when @frank808 gave me his.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
No, you needed to get a separate "gold" key at the Lakeshore front desk. Not a single one they ever gave me worked. The only time I had a working one is when @frank808 gave me his.
I've piggy-backed in with other guests there...never used a key. Like Jeremy I'm wondering if they're going to go full-on with wristbands. I'd never pay $50 to go over there.

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've piggy-backed in with other guests there...never used a key. Like Jeremy I'm wondering if they're going to go full-on with wristbands. I'd never pay $50 to go over there.
Not that it would change your mind, but I read that the motivation for this change may be the construction of a large waterslide complex at the JW. Unfortunately, I haven't found any details.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Not that it would change your mind, but I read that the motivation for this change may be the construction of a large waterslide complex at the JW. Unfortunately, I haven't found any details.
Yeah, I didn't check it out while we were there, but word is that they are building a water slide tower. Perhaps something like the one at the World Center Marriott?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I called and spoke to a gentleman at Lakeshore Reserve. They were aware a change was coming, but they hadn't been made aware of when it would start. He found that out from me. They are building a waterpark at the JW, thus the change. I guess it will be up to the BOD for the HOA to work out a new agreement for use. If the JW is willing of course. He also mentioned that villa renovations will begin at Lakeshore Reserve starting on August 31st.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Late October would be a little to cold to use the JW pool and lazy river as they are not heated like at Lakeshore. Late October is to chilly for me to go swimming at the JW pool.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
We just returned on Saturday from a week long stay there. We were in a 2BR dedicated unit in Messina. We have also stayed in a 3BR townhome in Capo d'Orlando, a 2BR lock off as well as a deluxe studio over the past two years. The latest 2BR dedicated unit was in the best condition. We didn't find our 3BR townhouse to be all that bad. I think they are dark just because a lot of the vegetation has grown up around them. The 2BR lock off unit was in the worst condition with peeling paint and pieces of plaster coming off in the bathroom. The rooms are certainly in need of a refresh.

While the decor is dated, I fear the new decor is going to give it a sterile look. There is something a unique about the interior design of the units that you don't see anywhere else, even if the soft goods are worn.

Dioxide, appreciate your objective comments about a resort you know and love.
To state the obvious though, most of these MVC resorts are occupied almost continuously year round and require upgrades and maintenance every few years. It’s never “fun” to be staying there when these are going on but I think that most MVC resorts do a pretty good job of planning, informing and executing these upgrades with minimal disruption to guests.

We’re at Grande Vista in Orlando now and they are doing major exterior repairs on the building adjacent to the check-in building by the main pool and marketplace facilities. Although we’re staying far away from there, the noise and impact to the hundreds of guests using the pool area is unavoidable. I think they just are turning up the music at the pool to drown out some of the construction noise.

We all pay our MF to cover these necessary and planned obsolescence and required maintenance repairs. We just hope it doesn’t impact our stays when we happen to use our weeks. Thank goodness MVC takes this very seriously and both plans and budgets for these upgrades so as to not have “shock” MF when roofs need to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which buildings have the dedicated 2 bedroom units? Is there a preferred building? We received the email about the fee to use the lazy river at JW, but we did not receive a "building preference" email.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Which buildings have the dedicated 2 bedroom units? Is there a preferred building? We received the email about the fee to use the lazy river at JW, but we did not receive a "building preference" email.
Messina and Palermo have dedicated 2BR units. They are the units that face directly out toward the lake/pond at the end of the buildings.