• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Ko'Olina Exchange Thoughts

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are currently hoping to spend either two weeks at Ko'Olina (or one week at Ko'Olina and one week at one of the Kauai resorts) in June/July 2021 to celebrate my daughters graduation. My goal is to exchange in via Interval using a 2020 summer 2 bdrm Surfwatch deposit and a 2021 summer 2 bdrm Barony request first. I have ongoing searches in for 2 bedroom units for the last three weeks of June and first week of July.

This morning I was offered a 1 bdrm at Ko'Olina for 6/20/21 - 6/27/21. The dates are exactly what we are looking for although with 2 teenagers we would prefer a 2 bedroom. Normally I would pass this up as we have had good success getting 2 bdrms. However, with many people cancelling/delaying travel to Hawaii this year I wonder if inventory will be at a premium next summer.

For the experienced Hawaii exchangers on the board, would you take the "bird in hand" right now (and purchase E-Plus to try and upgrade) or decline the 1 bdrm and maintain the ongoing search for a 2 bdrm?

I'm sure I am overthinking it and I know opinions will vary but any feedback is appreciated.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
The only downside to taking the 1BR now would seem to be that you will be in manually search mode for the upgrade. No OGS, other than via your other unit. If you have the time, others have been very successful with manual searches, but as you noted, expect a lot of competition.

12 months owners will just be booking those weeks now and may not release to II until early next year, when their plans firm up. At least, seems that way on Maui.

Since you need specific dates, you might see how renting your units and then renting what you need for Hawaii, as backup, or just rent and use you units.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Cory the studio of your 1br has been sighted by another tugger. Go get it and you will have your 2br unit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only downside to taking the 1BR now would seem to be that you will be in manually search mode for the upgrade. No OGS, other than via your other unit. If you have the time, others have been very successful with manual searches, but as you noted, expect a lot of competition.

12 months owners will just be booking those weeks now and may not release to II until early next year, when their plans firm up. At least, seems that way on Maui.

Since you need specific dates, you might see how renting your units and then renting what you need for Hawaii, as backup, or just rent and use you units.

Thank you, I am also looking into the rental option - I rarely deposit my Marriott Hilton Head units into interval and keep for personal use or to rent. These units rent easily (although from my experience at a bit lower premium than Hawaii). Thanks for the feedback.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Cory the studio of your 1br has been sighted by another tugger. Go get it and you will have your 2br unit.

But that requires giving up two weeks to exchange.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would personally hold out for the 2BR. You are offering up prime weeks at prime resorts in exchange. I don't see you having an issue getting the exchange for a full 2BR.

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks, I just saw that unit in open inventory. Any experience with Marriott combining the 1 bdrm and studio from separate exchanges into one unit at check-in (I expect both the 1 bdrm and studio are from the same owner deposit)? I am hesitant to use up a second deposit (2 bdrm) on the studio as at that point it would be more economical to rent. If a studio were to make it through the preference period I could pick it up with one of my cheap non-marriott deposits.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Thanks, I just saw that unit in open inventory. Any experience with Marriott combining the 1 bdrm and studio from separate exchanges into one unit at check-in (I expect both the 1 bdrm and studio are from the same owner deposit)? I am hesitant to use up a second deposit (2 bdrm) on the studio as at that point it would be more economical to rent. If a studio were to make it through the preference period I could pick it up with one of my cheap non-marriott deposits.

I’m hoping someone knows the answer to this. I have two exchanges at MKO in February a studio and 1 br. Same situation as you with 2 teenagers. I used two 1 bedroom MGCs for the exchanges so I felt worth it. I’m hoping they can put the reservations together to make a 2 br. They are both ocean view. I’m guessing view matters. I don’t think that MKO studio will make it out of preference though. Good luck to you, hope you get the 2 bedroom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We were successful twice in the past with the resort combining our units to make a full 2BR. First time was garden view, had a 1BR and a stuio exchange. Second time we booked a single night in to a studio then the following seven nights in a 2BR. We didn't have to move. Just had to get re-keyed so we could access both sides of the 2BR lock off.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too was wondering how good Marriott is about combining a 1br and it’s lockoff, into a 2 bedroom. I’ve done this with Vistana at a Westin Maui, but no guarantees, which can be concerning when trying to keep the family together. And, as you’ve stated, using your 2br for trade for the studio is inefficient and still no guaranteed 1br & studio not guaranteed to be combined. At Four Seasons Aviara when I’ve traded for 1br and studio, and called them, they were very accommodating and assured me no problem - but many years ago. I’ll be curious what other TUGGERS exoerience is on combining at Marriott’s. Vistana combining I’ve done successfully historically but I would not be confident.

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up cancelling the 1 bedroom and will hold out for a 2 bedroom. There is a possibility that my daughter may want to bring a friend and that would not be an option with the 1 bedroom. If an exchange doesn't come through over the next several months we can always explore the rental route.

I did ask the Interval representative if I could book both the 1 bdrm and studio (which I was holding with another week) with the same deposit and just pay two exchange fees but was told that wasn't an option. I figured it was worth a try.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up cancelling the 1 bedroom and will hold out for a 2 bedroom. There is a possibility that my daughter may want to bring a friend and that would not be an option with the 1 bedroom. If an exchange doesn't come through over the next several months we can always explore the rental route.

I did ask the Interval representative if I could book both the 1 bdrm and studio (which I was holding with another week) with the same deposit and just pay two exchange fees but was told that wasn't an option. I figured it was worth a try.
This should certainly be an option. I think this was the old XYZ Type 1. If you had a 2BR, you were able to trade in to a studio and 1BR with the single deposit and just pay the exchange fee twice. Perhaps they discontinued that when they discontinued Choose 2 (Old XYZ Type 2).

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Agreed this should be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
This should certainly be an option. I think this was the old XYZ Type 1. If you had a 2BR, you were able to trade in to a studio and 1BR with the single deposit and just pay the exchange fee twice. Perhaps they discontinued that when they discontinued Choose 2 (Old XYZ Type 2).

From what I have gathered, the old XYZ program was replaced by the "choose two" program. This program does allow the booking of a second week (concurrent or consecutive at the same or different resort) using the original exchange for just a second exchange fee. However, these are limited to inside 90 days and limited availability (based upon a grid which consists of off-season, high inventory locations).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
From what I have gathered, the old XYZ program was replaced by the "choose two" program. This program does allow the booking of a second week (concurrent or consecutive at the same or different resort) using the original exchange for just a second exchange fee. However, these are limited to inside 90 days and limited availability (based upon a grid which consists of off-season, high inventory locations).
In the past there were two types of XYZ. XYZ Type 1 and Type 2. I think Type 2 was the one that most people used and became Choose 2. I don't know if they ever got rid of Type 1 which allowed you to exchange in to two smaller units as long as the number of bedrooms and sleeping capacity of what you were giving them was not more than what you were getting.

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update - we received a match to a 2 bdrm Ko Olina unit overnight (June 20, 2021 check-in) so thank you for the guidance to hold off on the original one-bedroom offering. For information purposes, the match was to a "request first" on our 2021 Barony Beach reservation. We had the same search parameters in on a 2020 Surfwatch deposit (both platinum weeks) but the 2021 request matched first (even though the search on the deposited Surfwatch unit was set up 3 weeks before the request first). The 2020 unit was only deposited 4 months prior to check-in so I expect the trade value is diminished relative to 2021 weeks.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Glad you got the 2 bedroom. We stayed at Kolina for a few nights when we went to Hawaii and then a week in Maui . Very nice place.