• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2021] Marriott Kauai Beach Club and co-located Royal Sonesta Hotel - Info/Questions [MERGED]

armrecsys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi has any one stayed at the Marriott kauai beach club , after the change of Marriott ownersip of the hotel.
1. where does the Timeshare , vacation owners or exchangers checking.
thanks

Moderator Note: Thread title edited, and in case you missed it over these last months, here's the thread detailing the hotel acquisition/re-branding. <--SueDonJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha. We went down and visited a few weeks ago. The check-in desk is no longer in the lobby. Rather keep walking all the way to the end and make right by the little store. It is in one of those store fronts down there. Probably by the elevator. We didn't bother going all the way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
General Property Updates
Rebranding of the Co-Located Hotel

As you may know, the hotel with which Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club shares a campus has changed management and been re-branded as the Royal Sonesta Kauai Resort Lihue hotel effective March 24, 2021. Please note, however, that Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club continues to be branded as a Marriott Vacation Club resort. Below is information regarding what Owners and guests can expect in connection with future stays at Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club.

• UPDATE: Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club Owners and guests will continue to access the resort through arrival at the existing hotel porte-cochere. Owners and guests will check-in at a separate location in the new Marriott Vacation Club Owner and Guest Services area, dedicated to Marriott Vacation Club, NOT in the main hotel lobby.
  • To check-in: When arriving at the resort, enter through the porte-cochere, take the escalator down and follow the directional signs along the pathway to Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club, passing the entrance to the main hotel lobby (on your left) and taking a right at Lamonts toward the end of the pathway. The Marriott Vacation Club Owner and Guest Services area will be located on your left, adjacent to the Owner Relations office.
  • Owners and guests staying at Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club continue to enjoy access to hotel amenities, such as the swimming pool, fitness center, lobby and whirlpool spas. Additionally, hotel amenities such as the restaurants, bars, and retail shops, which are available to the public, are currently available to Owners and guests of Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club on the same basis as they are to the general public.
  • Marriott Bonvoy members may earn Marriott Bonvoy points for stays at Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club and may utilize their Marriott Bonvoy points to stay at Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club, all in accordance with the existing rules under the Marriott Bonvoy program.
Please continue to check this website frequently for updates prior to your stay at Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club.

All Owners and guests must be physically present at check-in to verify their quarantine exemption status through the Hawaii Safe Travels website.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Landings
Does anyone know if parking is being charged for MVC weeks traded into via Interval? Not sure if this would have changed now that Sonesta took over the hotel portion. The Marriott website does list a parking fee of $25/day. However, nothing specific was listed on the II confirmation.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Landings
Thanks. How are the facilities now that Sonesta has had time to get their feet wet? Also, did you hear any construction from next door?

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Very excited for our arrival at Kauai in a few weeks, it’s been 15+ years since last time, so really looking forward to it…and then today we got this email. Has anyone been there recently and how bad is it?

1651891074716.jpeg

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Very excited for our arrival at Kauai in a few weeks, it’s been 15+ years since last time, so really looking forward to it…and then today we got this email. Has anyone been there recently and how bad is it?

View attachment 54058
Moderator Note: The last info I found with a search was from Feb, a couple months ago, saying only that the construction was noisy. I've merged your post with this thread so that the reason for the construction/noise that you're asking about is understood by readers. Hopefully more recent visitors to Kauai Beach Club will answer your questions. :)

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there end of January/beginning of February. Construction was then in the Nounou Tower and we were in the Keohana Tower. We could hear some noise when walking through the Nounou Tower on our way out of the property. My guess is it would have been an issue if we were nearby but, then again, we are really not in our room much during the day as we would be out doing things.

On a different note, our room's windows were filthy - so dirty we could not see clearly through one of the large view windows. Perhaps the property is not being maintained by Sonesta as it was during Marriott's management. We reported this to the MVC front desk folks and asked if they could be cleaned during our stay, but, as expected, nothing was done.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were there end of January/beginning of February. Construction was then in the Nounou Tower and we were in the Keohana Tower. We could hear some noise when walking through the Nounou Tower on our way out of the property. My guess is it would have been an issue if we were nearby but, then again, we are really not in our room much during the day as we would be out doing things.

On a different note, our room's windows were filthy - so dirty we could not see clearly through one of the large view windows. Perhaps the property is not being maintained by Sonesta as it was during Marriott's management. We reported this to the MVC front desk folks and asked if they could be cleaned during our stay, but, as expected, nothing was done.
The Kauai Beach Club timeshare property is still being managed by Marriott Vacation Club; it's only the co-located hotel that's being managed by Sonesta.

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Kauai Beach Club timeshare property is still being managed by Marriott Vacation Club; it's only the co-located hotel that's being managed by Sonesta.
Yes, but it is not clear to me who is maintaining shared facilities. For example, both hotel and timeshare guests are able to use the main pool and other common areas. Are these then then maintained by Sonesta or MVC? In the case of the Keohana Tower, do we know who is responsible for maintaining the exterior and keeping the window cleans? All I can say is that I have stayed at many MVC properties and I have never seen windows as dirty as these!

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, but it is not clear to me who is maintaining shared facilities. For example, both hotel and timeshare guests are able to use the main pool and other common areas. Are these then then maintained by Sonesta or MVC? In the case of the Keohana Tower, do we know who is responsible for maintaining the exterior and keeping the window cleans? All I can say is that I have stayed at many MVC properties and I have never seen windows are dirty as these!

Marriott Kauai Beach Club property map

I don't know how the maintenance is divided in the buildings that share common areas for both the hotels and the timeshares, whether it's shared responsibility or whether it's one entity assuming the responsibility for all maintenance. For those buildings I'd guess that all hotel room/business-related responsibility and cost are Sonesta's, with the responsibility/cost for the common areas shared by Sonesta and MVW. But for the timeshare-only buildings like the Kilohana and Wai'ale'ale Wings I would think that their maintenance is completely in MVW's purview with the annual MF's covering the costs. I wonder if the usual exterior cleaning is on hold while the Sonesta construction is happening within the property footprint?

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
We were there in early February 2022. We were on the 8th floor of the Kalihi tower. They were renovating the entire hallway of rooms across the hall from us and it was incredibly noisy~8 am - 5 pm, all 7 days a week. We were told they were starting at the top and working their way down to the ground level.

What I can be reasonably confident about is that if they are sending out that strong of a message it will indeed be very noisy and likely disruptive. And they mean it when they say "daily" - as in every day. Not even Sunday was a day off.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
I just got an email confirming our arrival in 2 weeks, specifying we will be on 5th floor in Kahili tower with ocean view. Does anyone know if there is a decent view from there and how far away that is from the construction?

Last edited:

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Anyone know the email for front desk or events at Kauai Beach Club? I want to arrange something for vow renewal.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just got an email confirming our arrival in 2 weeks, specifying we will be on 5th floor in Kahili tower with ocean view. Does anyone know if there is a decent view from there and how far away that is from the construction?
We were in that tower on the 8th floor and loved our view. Higher would be better, but especially if you are down the hall away from the elevator you should see a lot of ocean over the pools.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
General Property Updates
Rebranding of the Co-Located Hotel

As you may know, the hotel with which Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club shares a campus has changed management and been re-branded as the Royal Sonesta Kauai Resort Lihue hotel effective March 24, 2021. Please note, however, that Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club continues to be branded as a Marriott Vacation Club resort. Below is information regarding what Owners and guests can expect in connection with future stays at Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club.

• UPDATE: Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club Owners and guests will continue to access the resort through arrival at the existing hotel porte-cochere. Owners and guests will check-in at a separate location in the new Marriott Vacation Club Owner and Guest Services area, dedicated to Marriott Vacation Club, NOT in the main hotel lobby.
  • To check-in: When arriving at the resort, enter through the porte-cochere, take the escalator down and follow the directional signs along the pathway to Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club, passing the entrance to the main hotel lobby (on your left) and taking a right at Lamonts toward the end of the pathway. The Marriott Vacation Club Owner and Guest Services area will be located on your left, adjacent to the Owner Relations office.
  • Owners and guests staying at Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club continue to enjoy access to hotel amenities, such as the swimming pool, fitness center, lobby and whirlpool spas. Additionally, hotel amenities such as the restaurants, bars, and retail shops, which are available to the public, are currently available to Owners and guests of Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club on the same basis as they are to the general public.
  • Marriott Bonvoy members may earn Marriott Bonvoy points for stays at Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club and may utilize their Marriott Bonvoy points to stay at Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club, all in accordance with the existing rules under the Marriott Bonvoy program.
Please continue to check this website frequently for updates prior to your stay at Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club.

All Owners and guests must be physically present at check-in to verify their quarantine exemption status through the Hawaii Safe Travels website.
Getting to the check in desk is so not a big deal and not that far from the main lobby. Just past the lobby and down in the hallway with the shops. Very well marked and takes and extra minute to walk there.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Thought I would give an update after spending the past 7 days at Marriott Kauai Beach Club. We came in on an II exchange, my DSV-I studio for a KBC 1BR ocean view unit, so already I'm ahead of the game. It was our first time here, and I had read many mixed reviews, some people love it, others hate it. Here are my observations. No disrespect intended. Photos below.

- this is definitely a hotel conversion, an old hotel, you can hear all of your neighbors through the walls, upstairs, downstairs, those out on their balcony and walking down the hall
- it really is a long way from the front entrance to check-in, if you've never been here, and you don't know that, it's pretty far to schlep all your luggage, better to have them keep it for you
- concierge is helpful but very busy, doesn't always answer the phone, and there may be a wait at the desk, but they are super nice
- we were concerned about construction noise, never heard anything, never saw anything, would not have known except they sent an email ahead of time telling us
- photo below is straight our 5th floor Kahili tower ocean view room, you can look more to the left to avoid seeing the building, 5th floor is absolute lowest for a view
- the bathrooms are clean but very very tiny, someone joked they had to stand in the tub to close the door, that is not very far off from truth
- the limited kitchen is well stocked but a very small area, not much counter space to even make cereal, on the plus side the fridge, micro and dishwasher were all pretty nice
- someone mentioned the hallways were dark, not sure which tower that was but ours was very light and bright
- from our ocean view room we were pleasantly surprised how well we could hear the ocean, we enjoyed many meals on our patio
- resort location is very convenient and central to everything, we did not try the shuttle but it always seemed to be available, self parking is a bit of a hike
- after booking only then did we notice this resort is at the end of the airport runway, we never once heard a jet, but what we did hear very often were the helicopter tours
- having Duke's onsite is a big plus, could not get a reservation online but the super nice concierge was able to get one for us
- not resort related, but food trucks on Kauai are a thing, we tried 5 different trucks and locations, all had excellent food and good prices
- also not resort related, very long line Sunday at Noon getting through security even with TSA Pre Check

I personally do not like the old vibe of this resort, and it really is kind of ugly just looking at the buildings, but everything is fairly updated and very clean, so for location and view I would come here again. Kauai is beautiful, have been home less than 24 hours and I already miss it.

IMG_9021.jpg IMG_9144.jpg IMG_9153.jpg lihue.jpg

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Anyone know the email for front desk or events at Kauai Beach Club? I want to arrange something for vow renewal.

Just a follow up. Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club no longer has any event staff. They recommended talking with the Royal Sonesta event staff, which I did. A 30 min vow renewal ceremony with just us two and our two kids and a few photos was almost $4,500! Wow.

melroseman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are owners here, and my wife is a member of the facebook group for Kauai Beach Club. Apparently Sonesta is doing some "redesign" of the grounds and it is causing some consternation I'm told. Any first-hand accounts? TYIA

cowboy

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a measure in the latest Ballot to change the name of Marriott Kauai Beach Club to Kauai Beach Vacation Resort. I was told by the general manager at KBC that this was requested by Sonesta,for the Association of Apartment Owners, as Sonesta now owns the property around the Timeshare villas.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a measure in the latest Ballot to change the name of Marriott Kauai Beach Club to Kauai Beach Vacation Resort. I was told by the general manager at KBC that this was requested by Sonesta,for the Association of Apartment Owners, as Sonesta now owns the property around the Timeshare villas.
Wow! I am FASCINATED by this. If it passes it will be the only resort in the Marriott Vacation Club portfolio that doesn't include the "Marriott" brand in its name, right? I can't see how that would be a positive for owners. Please, KBC owners, let TUG know how this vote goes - thanks!

[Moderator Note: I'm moving this to the latest thread related to the co-located hotel at Kauai Beach Club severing its relationship with Marriott.] <--SueDonJ

Last edited: