• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
I currently use RCI and have been looking to trade into a few different Marriott’s. The RCI catalogue shows a variety of Marriott locations but I have yet to be able to see any inventory. Specifically I am looking at the Southeastern Atlantic coastal region (SC, NE FL)

I have seen references to Marriott having a better relationship with II. Is this true? If so, is there enough inventory for Marriott available in II to justify an additional membership for just 2 trades a year?

Thanks

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I currently use RCI and have been looking to trade into a few different Marriott’s. The RCI catalogue shows a variety of Marriott locations but I have yet to be able to see any inventory. Specifically I am looking at the Southeastern Atlantic coastal region (SC, NE FL)

I have seen references to Marriott having a better relationship with II. Is this true? If so, is there enough inventory for Marriott available in II to justify an additional membership for just 2 trades a year?

Thanks
The bulk of Marriott exchanges happen in II but several of the oldest resorts are dual-affiliated with RCI because at their origin they were affiliated only with RCI, and owners at those resorts are still allowed to choose whether to use RCI or II. Those resorts are:
  • StreamSide: Birch, Douglas (not Evergreen) [Aspen & Cedar are no longer managed by Marriott.]
  • Cypress Harbour
  • Desert Springs Villas I (not Desert Springs Villas II)
  • Harbour Club
  • Heritage Club
  • Monarch
  • Royal Palms
  • Sabal Palms
  • Sunset Pointe
I would say that there is a far better chance of exchanging into Marriotts via II than RCI, but I don't regularly exchange and so will invite others to answer the particulars about what kind of success you should expect. Good luck!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a ton of Marriott deposits in II because Marriott is primarily affiliated with II. For those that are in Marriott Destination Club program, we get an II account and free II trades into Marriott and Vistana resorts. Marriott Vacation Club also now owns Interval Leisure Group.

Do note that Marriott and Vistana (Westin/Sheraton) weeks get first dips by owners, like 3 weeks, before the deposits are seen by non-Marriott/Vistana owners.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

Thanks
I don't think there is any NE Florida resorts unless you consider Orlando to be in the NE. You would mainly be looking at SC Marriotts. You would have a shot at the non ocean front HHI resorts especially if you request early. Perhaps not July but most other times. You won't have Marriott priority but many Marriott owners overlook the non ocean front resort preferring to try for those. The Shelter cove Marriott's are also fixed weeks so owners sometimes deposit 2 years early and many marriott owners don't have requests in that early. I don't know that is enough of a reason to set up a II account. If you can get a 2 for 1 membership it might be worth it to try II. You can do a manual search without depositing and even do a request first without depositing; although it will auto deposit if a match is made. You do have 24 hr to cancel a confirmed match.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
If you want to exchange into Marriott then buy a Marriott weeks ownership and use Interval. Check out sightings, Marmite does a fantastic job of locating exchange inventory for the Marriott system. You won’t get much of anything in RCI for Marriott

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
You would mainly be looking at SC Marriotts. You would have a shot at the non ocean front HHI resorts especially if you request early. Perhaps not July but most other times.

HHI is my main target, and ocean front is not a priority, although Grand Ocean does look pretty great. I’ve been thinking maybe I should find a Marriott membership somewhere but since it does command a premium on the resale market I wanted to try a location out first, hopefully through an exchange.

I’ll give II a call and see if they have any promotions on memberships. If not, I’ll probably see about a rental first. There are many that show up on redweek.

thanks for all of the great feedback.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Grande Ocean would be possible in December -February without Marriott preference.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
Add SDO to the list of possible RCI as you can trade in either RCI or II, but I have never seen one listed in RCI.

With advance planning a small 1 bedroom SDO (cheap) can pull a 2 bedroom Marriott on HHI. If you are looking for a peak summer week, you will not get your pick of a particular week or resort, but you can usually get a week. Spring and fall weeks are easier. Winter is a non-issue

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Add SDO to the list of possible RCI as you can trade in either RCI or II, but I have never seen one listed in RCI.

With advance planning a small 1 bedroom SDO (cheap) can pull a 2 bedroom Marriott on HHI. If you are looking for a peak summer week, you will not get your pick of a particular week or resort, but you can usually get a week. Spring and fall weeks are easier. Winter is a non-issue
I have gotten many SDO trades via RCI, just not peak-peak weeks. I did get January a few times

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Our trips to HHI typically start after Memorial Day through the end of June and again in the fall from end of Sept through the end of Oct. I have had an online search in RCI for all of their listed Marriott properties on HHI without any success. I did that last year for this coming June and have started another this year to try to find something for 2023.

The Winter months (Jan - Mar) I prefer to go farther south to avoid wearing a jacket during the day.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
I have traded my SDO small 1 bedroom in II for a HHI Marriott on three occasions:

October - 2 bedroom Marriott Grande Ocean
May - 2 bedroom Marriott Grande Ocean
October - 3 Bedroom Marriott Surfwatch

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Looks like II is pretty much the only choice if not yet an owner in MVC.