• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott/II, but really a Scammer

Jay Naegele

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Barony Beach, Beachplace Tower, Oceanwatch, Trust Fund points, Carriage House (non-Marriott)
Received a phone call claiming to be an II employee with a great new deal now that Marriott fully owns II. Basically: Buy an Exchange 4 day stay for $399. Give II the certificate. II has corporate clients who want the Certificates. Within 4 months II will sell the certificate for $1,200 to $1,700 for us. Their caller ID comes up as Advanced Corporation at 813 540-4307.

Called Marriott - it is a total scam and their fraud department knows about it. Assured us it is not a Marriott/II promotion.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
And the beat goes on. People fall for stuff like this, they have to or else they wouldn't be doing it.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Received a phone call claiming to be an II employee with a great new deal now that Marriott fully owns II. Basically: Buy an Exchange 4 day stay for $399. Give II the certificate. II has corporate clients who want the Certificates. Within 4 months II will sell the certificate for $1,200 to $1,700 for us. Their caller ID comes up as Advanced Corporation at 813 540-4307.

Called Marriott - it is a total scam and their fraud department knows about it. Assured us it is not a Marriott/II promotion.

Who answers their phone from an unknown number? :)

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hear about this all the time. People really fall for this?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Who answers their phone from an unknown number? :)

I do, but only to confirm that the number needs to be added to NoMorobo, our call blocking service.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I always hang up after a few seconds. Usually right after I tell them they’ve been told to not call me. However, anytime they say they’re from II, I know they’re not really from II. THE PHI E NUMBER I gave II is a bad number with the prefix 555.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a nice new phone system that has a call blocking system that works well. Most phone#s that are scammers can be identified upfront so before you answer the phone you hit the call block button and it gets stored so the next time the phone won't even ring. You see it come up on the screen but then it says call block and it gets disconnected. If you answer the call not knowing it is a call block you want you simply hit the button after you answer it and it also will get registered and you won't have to deal with that number anymore either.

What is interesting and I'm sure others have seen it is when the call is received the caller ID says "SCAM". Not sure who is providing that insight but assume it is the phone carrier?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have a nice new phone system that has a call blocking system that works well. Most phone#s that are scammers can be identified upfront so before you answer the phone you hit the call block button and it gets stored so the next time the phone won't even ring. You see it come up on the screen but then it says call block and it gets disconnected. If you answer the call not knowing it is a call block you want you simply hit the button after you answer it and it also will get registered and you won't have to deal with that number anymore either.

What is interesting and I'm sure others have seen it is when the call is received the caller ID says "SCAM". Not sure who is providing that insight but assume it is the phone carrier?
Yes, mine will say "likely scam". I'd rather they just block the call completely.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
My carrier (AT&T) flags calls as 'Telemarketer' or 'Likely Spam'. If I see a call from a number that I don't recognize and they didn't leave a message, that number is toast - I block it immediately.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use the ultimate method, but many will not like it or think you can't do it for various reasons. Still, that method is ONLY calls from any number in our contact list ring the phone, nothing else does, ever, no matter what. This poses a slight problem at first, as some businesses have several numbers to call from, so, over time we add them to their contact entry and eventually, after a year or so, it's only a few times a year someone calls and don't get us (like a timeshare resort for example). Anyone is free to leave a message though. So, if they do, we call right back if it's valid. Since we get voice to text displays of phone messages, no need to call and hear the message, less bother.

Therefore, you will not scam us as you will never get us. If a call is somewhat believable, we check the number through various services online before calling back.

While there is a slight hassle, esp the first year when you miss some calls and have to call them back, there is some benefit other than not getting scammed or your phone ringing all the time and hassling you. That is, we have the numbers in our contact list! In the past, we rarely or erratically added numbers, but, now we really do since they can't reach us otherwise. Therefore, we have a very nice contact list. How many times over the previous years, we couldn't find someones number at a later time. Now, we always have it.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hear about this all the time. People really fall for this?

They do. Keep in mind as people get older, many of them/us are not quite as sharp as they/we used to be. And some tricks are getting pretty advanced now.

JoshuaTree

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marrott: Ocean Point, Waiohi, Kauai Beach Club and Destination Points
This scam has been around for a number of years, returning periodically. On my call, which caller ID identified as a Florida area code, they told me I was eligible to get 4 getaways to be used by a corporate entity for an Orlando convention. The promise was to get $1,400 for each rental. When passed on to the 'boiler room' the new person explained that I would need to pay the $399 for each of the four weeks. When I asked specifically which of my timeshares was related to the 4 getaways, I received no answer. I wonder how they got updated Marriott owner contact numbers since we changed ours 2 years ago.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
This scam has been around for a number of years, returning periodically. On my call, which caller ID identified as a Florida area code, they told me I was eligible to get 4 getaways to be used by a corporate entity for an Orlando convention. The promise was to get $1,400 for each rental. When passed on to the 'boiler room' the new person explained that I would need to pay the $399 for each of the four weeks. When I asked specifically which of my timeshares was related to the 4 getaways, I received no answer. I wonder how they got updated Marriott owner contact numbers since we changed ours 2 years ago.

Calls like these are looking for a credit card number, expiration date, and three or four digit code. Then they can go on a giant spending spree!

If you tell them you do not have any credit cards then they immediately disconnect and they won't bother you again......

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
That's a good one: buy something from us that we have, that we want so bad that we will buy it back from you for 4x what we sold it to you for.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3

I really feel sorry for William and Jennifer Scam. Their friends never pickup the phone. :cry: