• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott hotel Category Change?

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I need to make a reservation before the change goes into effect tomorrow. My question is, besides the addition of new category 8 hotels, any other hotels will have a category change starting tomorrow? If someone can point me to a comparison chat, it would be very helpful.

Thanks!

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott has not posted this info yet, but if you make a reservation today they will count it as the category it is today (for a travel package certificate).

Could you be more specific about what you are trying to do?
Redeem travel package 7 night cert? use points reservation in 2009? less than a 7 night stay?

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
The Marriott Concierge on Flyer Talk said they were not aware of any other changes to hotel categories taking place tomorrow other than the new category 8s.

vincenzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
The following hotels will be category 8 after January 15th
1. Paris Marriott Hotel Champs Elysees
2. Renaissance Paris Vendome
3. JW Marriott Capri Tiberio Palace Resort & Spa
4. Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
5. London Marriott Hotel County Hall
6. London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square
7. London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch
8. London Marriott Hotel Park Lane
9. Le Merigot, A JW Marriott Beach Hotel & Spa, Santa Monica
10. Renaissance Chancery Court London
11. New York Marriott East Side
12. New York Marriott Marquis
13. Renaissance New York Hotel Times Square
14. South Beach Marriott Hotel

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation: I have almost 570K Points sitting in my account right now and I have no plan to stay at any hotels right now. I'm thinking about cash in one or two packages with cat 6 or 7 hotel today and make a reservation somewhere. Most possible travel destination for this year is either Australia or a beach location somewhere tropical. Not interested in Hawaii as I have already planned timeshare vacation there at least once this year. So, my dilemma right now is which cat hotel should I go after and if I need to make a backup reservation before tomorrow, which one should I choose?
Also, any idea on which airline should I get the miles with? I'm a 1K with UA but have no status with any other airlines.

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can look to book the Marriott Sydney Harbor. Great hotel. Great location and have them deposit points in your airline of choice. Hawaiian Air flyies to Australia. We were lucky to get flat beds a few years ago with Quatas but they no longer affiliate with US Air.

I used 240,000 for 2 tickets to Tahiti from HNL and booked a week hotel in London Cat 7.

Today is the last day I believe to book.

Sue

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is booking an air and hotel travel package.....
Sue