• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Horizons Orlando Good Value?

bolorama

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to a Marriott Sales Pitch today. By the time I left, I was convinced that $19,800 for a 2BR lockoff with the option to convert to 110k MR points, and a "free" 2BR interval exchange was a good deal. We are a family of 5 with young kids 4, 3 and 1. We would probably want to trade often to try to travel other locations during school vacations. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most would agree buying resale is the way to go. Hundreds upon hundreds of threads just like this are yours for the searching!! ;)

Seriously though with all the great bargains on the resale market and the devaluation of Marriott points at this time one would be nuts to buy directly from Marriott.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless your rolling in $$ and dont mind spending an extra $15K for a developer purchase you should rescind then take your time and research exactly where/when and if you want to own a timeshare.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Aside from the discussion of whether or not to buy direct or resale (for the record, while I wouldn't go quite so far as to say you are nuts to buy direct, you should read the other posts regarding this to decide for yourself what is best for you and your family), seriously consider whether buying in Orlando is in your best interests. I may be misreading what you posted, but it seems to me that you are looking to use this unit primarily as a trader and will be wanting 2BR units during peak times (school vacations).

Depending upon where you are looking to travel to, you may want to consider whether another resort may hold more appeal for use and may better suit your needs as far as trade value. For example, if you are regularly looking to trade for summer beach weeks or winter school vacation weeks in prime locations, you may be better served saving some money even by buying resale at a location with better trade power. Orlando has a lot of resorts, which lessens its trade power; buy there if you intend to use it most years. Otherwise, carefully consider other options as well.

BTW- give yourself a pat on the back for doing some research and asking questions here before buying and possibly regretting your decision. Take the time to read lots of posts, ask questions, and get a feel for what will suit your family's needs. I assume that you didn't buy today, but if you did I would agree that you should rescind and take the time to decide if purchasing there and if purchasing directly is in your best interests.

Welcome to TUG!

Last edited:

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
.... We are a family of 5 with young kids 4, 3 and 1. We would probably want to trade often to try to travel other locations during school vacations. I would appreciate any advice.

And it also is commonly stated here on TUG that you should generally buy at the resort where you want to vacation "most" of the time. Continually planning the exchanges to match the children's vacations, especially if at "spring break" type vacation time, can be hit-or-miss.

If you're gonna' go this, you need to make sure you have a strong trader.

bolorama

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I did sign up today. I was told could cancel the contract without any penalty within 10 days. Does anyone know of any problems with canceling?

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Did they offer an incentive in Marriott Reward Points as well?

Also surprised that they did not offer you Lakeshore the new Marriott resort opening in a 2010 I believe.

Should be easy to cancel but make sure you know exactly how to do it. Read all the posts in marriott section regarding developer versus resale.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I did sign up today. I was told could cancel the contract without any penalty within 10 days. Does anyone know of any problems with canceling?

Take at look at this posting from a current thread concerning rescinding...

geka

Reaction score
Cancel. And if you want to purchase a marriott somewhere ask the tuggers where to check out the resales. I am thinking of sellling one also. I am sure there are a number of us.

JimIg23

TUG Member
Reaction score
On resale, Here is a link to a ROFR database started by Dioxide45:
http://dioxide45.tripod.com/rofr.html

Also, there have been alot of recent threads about the prices declining. I don't think I would spend over 5-6k on an annual MHZ. We bought into MHZ EOY (every other year) resale because it still trades fine and was cheaper than most, but with the current prices, I might have bought Grand Vista.

There are many choices. If you are new to timesharing, after you recind, take your time and research. I spent a few months on TUG before I bought.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
One more point is that after you rescind and do all your research and you decide you still want to buy from the developer....

The incentives and price will still be available (may even get more than they offered you).

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On a positive note:

Putting the money issues aside...

I can tell you with kids, you'll fall in love with using a timeshare. We are spoiled by them now.

• No more sitting in hotel bathroom waiting on the kids to go to sleep in the hotel room.
  • No more begging everyone to get up and shower and getting dressed just to eat breakfast.
  • No more arguments over which tv show to watch
  • Think of all the savings of going to the grocery store and just buying breakfast foods for the week!
  • Less packing because you can wash your clothes.
  • very simply -- MORE SPACE!

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
Rescind exactly as the paperwork says. Then do your research on Tug and I think you will probably decide to buy resale but even if you decide to pay the extra 15K it will be a much more informed decision.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs

I can tell you with kids, you'll fall in love with using a timeshare. We are spoiled by them now.

• No more sitting in hotel bathroom waiting on the kids to go to sleep in the hotel room.
  • No more begging everyone to get up and shower and getting dressed just to eat breakfast.
  • Think of all the savings of going to the grocery store and just buying breakfast foods for the week!

:) couldn't have said it better myself!! We discovered timesharing a little less than three years ago when we happened to win a week at Ko'Olina at a fundraiser auction at my daughter's law school. At the time, our daughters were already out of the house and we had traveled fairly extensively with the kids and my parents over the previous 15 years or so, often with the girls sharing a room with us (DH loved sharing a bathroom with 3 girls ;) ) and the morning cry that started the day- where to go for breakfast :( . After two days at Ko'Olina my hubbie turned and said to me: "wht would you ever want to travel any other way?!"

Unfortunately, I was ignorant as to how nice timeshares could be, and just knew about the kinda ratty cabin-type places of yester-year. With three young kids especially you won't regret your decision to buy.

HOWEVER, that said, RESCIND IMMEDIATELY and take your time to read, ask lots of questions and then decide if you want to buy directly and have the ability to trade for points or save $$$'s up front and buy resale. You'll have the time to consider whether Horizons is the right place to buy, away from the vacation-high, so to speak. As pointed out above, the opportunity will be there in a month or a few months down the road, but once you've committed, you may regret your decision and you'll be stuck.

Read several months of posts here, ask questions as they come up, and then decide. The best advice I can give you now is rescind immediately and then put this aside and enjoy the rest of your trip. When you get home you can stay up at night and research to your heart's content.

Welcome to Tug, btw :wave: - and congrats on finding the Board before being stuck in something that you may very well regret.

JimIg23

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have to laugh. When my youngest was born, bringing us to five, we spent the first two years only going to my family's house in FL. Our first trip to a hotel was a nightmare! Everything Swice said is true, only adding that I wake up at least 2 hours before my family and was forced to go into the bathroom and read!

I found timesharing right after that. Now I can wake up and have a cup of coffee on the patio or read the paper on a chair. I will never go back.

Last edited:

bolorama

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went back to the sales office today with a letter requesting cancelation of my purchase. The agent accepted the letter and signed my copy. Thanks for all of your help!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I went back to the sales office today with a letter requesting cancelation of my purchase. The agent accepted the letter and signed my copy. Thanks for all of your help!

I would mail a copy to cover yourself. The contract is probably very clear. It probably has instructions to send via USPS mail.