• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Hawaii Timeshare(s)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me add that GC for a 3 BR can be worthwhile if you find one at a good price.

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
Those are the main areas I look at but then I'm not in active acquisition mode like you are. I'm not a huge fan of EOY ownerships even though I do have a couple. Usually the price difference between EY & EOY is not big enough to make it worthwhile. You'll still have the II membership costs EY anyway. I'm OK with EOY just don't limit yourself by ignoring EY options. You can certainly consider several options then take the one that comes along first and fits into your parameters. If there's one you'll use, that's a major plus. The one thing about EOY is they can sometimes be easier to get through ROFR.

How often does Marriott exercise their ROFR? I did read somewhere not to chase the price on these, there will always be more!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How often does Marriott exercise their ROFR? I did read somewhere not to chase the price on these, there will always be more!
I would agree with not overpaying because of ROFR. The more data and info you have, the better. It's a moving target but seems to have been more of recent months and may increase withs the new program announcement.

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
IF you can do at lower demand times and in a 1 BR planning a year out or more, then I would not buy HI, I would buy a "trader". My criteria for a trading Marriott includes lock off option, relatively lower fees, reasonably cheap to buying good to very good trade power then one has to reserve a top week and deposit early (a year out or more). To me that gives me 5 resorts on the A list. Manor Club, Grande Vista, Harbour Lake, Grande Chateau and Willow Ridge all Platinum. Of those MC would be my least desirable. One might also add CA desert Gold or Platinum but the fees are higher, might be worth it if one can buy a Platinum week for a low price, likely not for Gold unless one would use it part of the time. Then reserve the top week paying the lock off fee, deposit it and set up 2 searches that are as broad as possible. Once you match one week, change your second search to match the week before and after. Don't worry if you match both at the same time (same day), you can cancel one within 24 hrs of the match and lose nothing. Just choose the match that you like best or the deposit you'd rather get back and restart your search.

Of those 5 GV will give you slightly higher trade power that might or might not make any difference in this situation, WR will have the lowest fees with GC second. If you think you might buy other Marriott's or enroll in the future, then that might make different options better. GV has the FL club options. GC will have the higher points if enrolled and the broadest Platinum season.

Does the TDI on Interval actually mean anything? It seems kinda low that it's giving Orlando and TDI of 5 and Las Vegas a TDI of 35. The Orlando resorts only have a few weeks with the TDI chart showing greatest demand, while the Grand Chateau only has week 52 as greatest demand. My question is, if I am planing on reserving a week for Grand Chateau and the TDI chart only shows in the middle, would that mean I am lowering my trading value?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those numbers aren’t TDIs they are area code numbers.
You read the TDI for each week off the chart- scroll to the bottom to see the x access- that shows the TDI number, Y access is week number.
TDI for each week is the same for the whole area, resort rating and unit size plus various other factors contribute to trading power.
Reserving the highest TDI in your season gives you the best trading power but a few points is not a big deal. Request early!

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the TDI on Interval actually mean anything? It seems kinda low that it's giving Orlando and TDI of 5 and Las Vegas a TDI of 35. The Orlando resorts only have a few weeks with the TDI chart showing greatest demand, while the Grand Chateau only has week 52 as greatest demand. My question is, if I am planing on reserving a week for Grand Chateau and the TDI chart only shows in the middle, would that mean I am lowering my trading value?
The short answer is that TDI doesn't have a lot of meaning. TDI is intended by II to represent the demand for each week in that area only. It is not standardized across the system. A 150 in LV has little to do with a 150 in LV. II doesn't actually publish the trade power of a given resort or area. RCI does give you a far more transparent way to judge trade power. The are ways to make further comparisons but they are just an approximation. Personally when I'm trying to make that actual judgement, I use my common sense, the TDI, RCI's TPU and in some cases, condo rental guides for that area. The reality is that there is no truly top trader in MVC that's cheap to buy into with low fees. The usual recommended resorts are good choices, in large part, because of the MVC internal trading preference. That said a top week in the Platinum season for the traditional trading MVC resorts will get you into 1 BR for HI resorts consistently if you are flexible and play the game well. Waikaloa is a little unique and getting into a 2 BR at some resorts is more challenging. That's why one needs to investigate ahead even to decide whether to try to do so with a lockout vs a full 2BR unit.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Maui Ocean Club?

That's one I'm considering, however, it's not the Lahaina or Napili Towers, I think it's one of those 1br partial kitchen, oceanview EOYE, $1200 / yr MF.

Honestly, is the extra $7000 worth the tower? .. where did you find yours?
Note that you pay 1200/yr but only get usage EOY, so it is $2,400/yr/week. I have been looking to buy Marriott in HI for awhile, but have not found the cost to be much better vs. renting direct from an owner (here or Redweek). We routinely trade studios and 1BR into 2BR Hawaii non-school weeks. Our cost is about $1,100 a week in that 2BR but we are enrolled, and also get the worst room allocation much of the time.

You should look at Redweek for a specific size/view/season and compare the rental cost to a 20 year amortization of all in costs if you bought a week. This will help you determine the relative value.

Looking right now, a 1BR OV at MOC is running about 4,500-5,000/week in summer, and 2,500-3,500/wk in fall. You are paying almost the fall cost just in MF each year. Run the numbers which will help guide you.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be careful with ROFR as it is always a moving target......

History over the past 25 years have shown that ROFR thresholds are substantially reduced or eliminated during times of times of poor economic activity. Think 2009 thru 2012 and more recently during March of 2020. I remember reading that a TUG member purchased Vacation Club points for $1 on or about March or 2020.

I bring this up as there are rumors are out there that we may be about to enter another period of time with economic downturn. If and when this occurs would be an ideal time to push thru a resale week or resale Destination Club Points at a bargain price offer.

Best of luck!

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waikoloa *is* the one on the Big Island. Maybe you are thinking of Waiohai on Kauai?
Ha ha. Yes. I am particularly bad with Hawaiian names. Maui Ocean Club is hard to screw up, though. Waikoloa was definitely a converted hotel. Very nice place, really nice beach, nice pool. Room was 1BR and was 2 hotel rooms combined into a unit. Not as large as MOC hotel conversion rooms. I am not a DC points fan but they can be useful and were for us there for 4 days. I have also found it much easier to use DC points to match an award flight, too. Lining up a week check in date with an award flight is always an adventure.

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
The short answer is that TDI doesn't have a lot of meaning. TDI is intended by II to represent the demand for each week in that area only. It is not standardized across the system. A 150 in LV has little to do with a 150 in LV. II doesn't actually publish the trade power of a given resort or area. RCI does give you a far more transparent way to judge trade power. The are ways to make further comparisons but they are just an approximation. Personally when I'm trying to make that actual judgement, I use my common sense, the TDI, RCI's TPU and in some cases, condo rental guides for that area. The reality is that there is no truly top trader in MVC that's cheap to buy into with low fees. The usual recommended resorts are good choices, in large part, because of the MVC internal trading preference. That said a top week in the Platinum season for the traditional trading MVC resorts will get you into 1 BR for HI resorts consistently if you are flexible and play the game well. Waikaloa is a little unique and getting into a 2 BR at some resorts is more challenging. That's why one needs to investigate ahead even to decide whether to try to do so with a lockout vs a full 2BR unit.
So if I'm looking at MGC for example, I would want to book my week for either week 14, 15, 24, 41, 42, 43 to get the highest TDI which I believe is 135. Correct? With everyone trying to use this property as a trader, I would imagine everyone is trying to book the same weeks!

I had one other question, I keep reading about trading directly with Marriott vs Interval, is this for points members only?

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
Let me add that GC for a 3 BR can be worthwhile if you find one at a good price.
Dean ... What do you consider a good price? I've seen a few 3BR at GC in excess of $5000, the few below that haven't provided an response to the inquiry.

Do you know if all the 3BR at GC are lockoff units?

cngriffin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Putting aside the trading power of a 3BR GC Platinum, I also see that it will generate 4625 points if enrolled with a direct Marriott purchase. That seems like a lot of points to me.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So if I'm looking at MGC for example, I would want to book my week for either week 14, 15, 24, 41, 42, 43 to get the highest TDI which I believe is 135. Correct? With everyone trying to use this property as a trader, I would imagine everyone is trying to book the same weeks!

I had one other question, I keep reading about trading directly with Marriott vs Interval, is this for points members only?
I doubt you'll see much difference between those weeks from a trade standpoint. Depositing early and searching appropriately will make the most difference. Realize that we here on TUG are the exception and not the norm. Statistically most owners aren't going for the same week just to trade and aren't reserving minute one. Sometimes there are weeks that are difficult to reserve at the trading resorts but if one is at least 12 months out day 1, those weeks that are that difficult are very limited and I doubt there are any weeks at GC that are that difficult since week 52 is a plus week. GV & HL have a couple (less at HC due to calendar differences), WR can be a little limited for the 4th, Manor Club can be challenging for the best week or 2 I understand. Maybe those who own GC and reserve to trade can give you a better insight.
Dean ... What do you consider a good price? I've seen a few 3BR at GC in excess of $5000, the few below that haven't provided an response to the inquiry.

Do you know if all the 3BR at GC are lockoff units?
Others likely follow the prices more than I do and it has been a moving target the last year or so but if it were me, I'd want a 3 BR annual at no more than $3500 for an Annual 3 BR. Of course the price listed isn't always a reflection of what. you can get. I've seen prices accepted at 20% of the asking price though that is unusual. I'd say establish your price and stick to that and if they say no, or a broker balks, just move on. To be honest, I often prefer two 2BR over a 3 BR but I think GC is a little unique in that the 3BR trades as a 2 BR & 1 BR rather than a 2BR & studio partly because of the ability to reserve at 13 months out. Of course if one has other weeks that match up for reservation, one might be able to reserve at 13 months out even with 1 week. Realize that prices will likely come down and that buyers are likely to be more open to lower offers over the next year or 2 due to the economy. That also likely means less ROFR issues at some point.

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
Realize that prices will likely come down and that buyers are likely to be more open to lower offers over the next year or 2 due to the economy. That also likely means less ROFR issues at some point.

This is much like the housing market, a lot of watching and waiting, it's funny how orginally I was interested in Hawaii, thinking that I would never be able to stay at Marriott Hawaii unless I owned it! Being from Southern California, I am leaning more towards the 3BR GC, only because we do visit Vegas often, and might actually be willing to use the 1BR and deposit the 2BR, which is a huge plus in my book!

I had inquired about a 2BR from a broker on a different site, some of them are real sleeze balls! He told me the unit I inquired about had already sold, but he had another one for $4,500 2BR annual. When I looked at his website, it was listed at $3,900, however, he told me he would not submit an offer under $4,000 because Marriott is buying them back when it's under $4,000 ...

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is much like the housing market, a lot of watching and waiting, it's funny how orginally I was interested in Hawaii, thinking that I would never be able to stay at Marriott Hawaii unless I owned it! Being from Southern California, I am leaning more towards the 3BR GC, only because we do visit Vegas often, and might actually be willing to use the 1BR and deposit the 2BR, which is a huge plus in my book!

I had inquired about a 2BR from a broker on a different site, some of them are real sleeze balls! He told me the unit I inquired about had already sold, but he had another one for $4,500 2BR annual. When I looked at his website, it was listed at $3,900, however, he told me he would not submit an offer under $4,000 because Marriott is buying them back when it's under $4,000 ...
In many states it's illegal not to submit bonafide offers to the seller unless they have written instructions to the contrary. Still, you don't want to deal with someone like that even if the info on ROFR was indeed accurate which I doubt but even if it is, look for it to pull back at some point. Also pay attention to closing costs as that can make a several hundred $$$ difference. Usually you have more control dealing with a private individual. .

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
In many states it's illegal not to submit bonafide offers to the seller unless they have written instructions to the contrary. Still, you don't want to deal with someone like that even if the info on ROFR was indeed accurate which I doubt but even if it is, look for it to pull back at some point. Also pay attention to closing costs as that can make a several hundred $$$ difference. Usually you have more control dealing with a private individual. .
True on the closing costs ... SMTN seems to quote an excessive amount to close, the one inqury I submitted to them estimated $1,700 to close, most others seem to be between $425 and $700 depending if you want tittle insurance.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
True on the closing costs ... SMTN seems to quote an excessive amount to close, the one inqury I submitted to them estimated $1,700 to close, most others seem to be between $425 and $700 depending if you want tittle insurance.
Unless you're spending tens of thousands of $$$ or there are red flags (divorce, death, bankruptcy, etc), I wouldn't fool with title insurance personally. LT transfers will be in the low to mid $200's for most closings.

Sweetlion7

Reaction score
I second @Dean 's comment that without knowing how flexible you are about timeframe and size of unit it is difficult to give advice. And impossible to suggest a 'best' Hawaiian resort without knowing what you want to do and see.

We visit Hawaii frequently - my wife went to UH Manoa and we still have friends and family on O'ahu. Once we became a family that needed bedrooms for the kids, we bought 2BR Every Other Year (EOY) weeks at Waiohai and Maui Ocean Club because we are constrained by the school vacation calendar. Over the years we have also stayed at Kauai Beach Club and Ko Olina using DPs. We haven't stayed in MVC's Waikoloa hotel conversion on the Big Island simply because we also own Hilton and stay at their Waikoloa resorts.

For us II required more flexibility than we have - deeded weeks and DPs suit our needs. But if you are a couple that can travel to Hawaii whenever availability pops up, buying a reasonable lock-off trader would be less expensive.

Any reasonable off trader would be ok to buy? Or is à Marriot trader advised? I am looking to buy deeded from EBay.

I am learning more about the timeshare and was looking into any timeshare but then I learned not all have bargaining power. My kids are homeschooled and we can prefer to travel during January till March. What would be the advice for someone like us if want a timeshare for 6-9 weeks during those months. We can buy guest certificate but which timeshare? Sorry to high jack someone’s post.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any reasonable off trader would be ok to buy? Or is à Marriot trader advised? I am looking to buy deeded from EBay.

I am learning more about the timeshare and was looking into any timeshare but then I learned not all have bargaining power. My kids are homeschooled and we can prefer to travel during January till March. What would be the advice for someone like us if want a timeshare for 6-9 weeks during those months. We can buy guest certificate but which timeshare? Sorry to high jack someone’s post.
Are you saying you want to vacation for 6-9 weeks- or you could go for a week sometime in the range?
Costs add up with yearly maintenance fees and exchange fees if you are not staying where you own ( plus II membership, upsize fees, lock off fees).
MVC gets priority exchange on II to other MVC resorts and preference to Sheraton/Westin so that would be a reason to own this brand.
Not sure what you mean about buying guest certificates.
Lots of good info in the stickies (pink box) at the top of this section.
I agree you probably want to start your own thread.

Last edited:

Gmac00

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview grand chateau
I doubt you'll see much difference between those weeks from a trade standpoint. Depositing early and searching appropriately will make the most difference. Realize that we here on TUG are the exception and not the norm. Statistically most owners aren't going for the same week just to trade and aren't reserving minute one. Sometimes there are weeks that are difficult to reserve at the trading resorts but if one is at least 12 months out day 1, those weeks that are that difficult are very limited and I doubt there are any weeks at GC that are that difficult since week 52 is a plus week. GV & HL have a couple (less at HC due to calendar differences), WR can be a little limited for the 4th, Manor Club can be challenging for the best week or 2 I understand. Maybe those who own GC and reserve to trade can give you a better insight.
Others likely follow the prices more than I do and it has been a moving target the last year or so but if it were me, I'd want a 3 BR annual at no more than $3500 for an Annual 3 BR. Of course the price listed isn't always a reflection of what. you can get. I've seen prices accepted at 20% of the asking price though that is unusual. I'd say establish your price and stick to that and if they say no, or a broker balks, just move on. To be honest, I often prefer two 2BR over a 3 BR but I think GC is a little unique in that the 3BR trades as a 2 BR & 1 BR rather than a 2BR & studio partly because of the ability to reserve at 13 months out. Of course if one has other weeks that match up for reservation, one might be able to reserve at 13 months out even with 1 week. Realize that prices will likely come down and that buyers are likely to be more open to lower offers over the next year or 2 due to the economy. That also likely means less ROFR issues at some point.

I have a 3br GC and have had no issues reserving weeks even if I forgot to do it 12 months out. We have had good luck with trades (ko’olina and Newport Beach) each time. We haven’t had good luck with views and only got ocean view once

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
I have a 3br GC and have had no issues reserving weeks even if I forgot to do it 12 months out. We have had good luck with trades (ko’olina and Newport Beach) each time. We haven’t had good luck with views and only got ocean view once

What weeks are you reserving at GC in order to trade into Ko 'Olina? Are you depositing the entire 3br or locking it off to a 2br and 1br?

Thanks to ths forum I am considering the purchase of 3br GC. Since we are so close to Vegas and love going there, I am thinking about locking it off, depositing the 2br and using the 1br!

armrecsys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi I am looking to but a time share in Maui,
can you tell me what is best way.
1. I travel mostly in the summer
2. I only want Marriott
3. I only own weeks, but thinking about distance points,
their tranfer fee is high.
I own Marriott spring, Kauai Marriott in Kauai.
4. what is the best to pay for points.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Hi I am looking to but a time share in Maui,
can you tell me what is best way.
1. I travel mostly in the summer
2. I only want Marriott
3. I only own weeks, but thinking about distance points,
their tranfer fee is high.
I own Marriott spring, Kauai Marriott in Kauai.
4. what is the best to pay for points.

If you plan to primarily visit Maui, then buy a resale week.

1. Decide if you want old or new towers.
2. Old Towers - 2BR OF floating weeks likely in the $25k range. New Towers with full kitchens and laundry - 2BR OF floating weeks likely $32K to clear ROFR.
New Towers OF 2BR fixed weeks tend to start around $35K and go up depending on the week and floor, for 2BR OF. Prime summer and winter easily in the $45K range.
3. I'd watch Redweek and create a notification on Redweek for new listings. I'd also bookmark other Hawaii brokers as not all listings show up on Redweek.
4. Let a broker know what you are interested in as a lot of business is done outside of Redweek, but you can usually do better with a direct deal not involving a broker's commission.
- For Maui, I'd touch base with Syed at AdvantageVacations.com
5. Watch ROFR.net to see recent deals that have passed or failed. (Points seem to be up in the the $3.50 range to pass ROFR)
- Points cost calculator here: https://vacationpointexchange.com/resale/

Floating weeks - you will be competing with everyone else at 12 or 13 months out, 9am on reservation opening date. Can be problematic.
Fixed Weeks - If you can go the same time every year and can manage the price, it's the simplest way to guarantee what you will get.
Demand is increasing for these as folks get frustrated with trying to get their prime weeks, e.g., July.

armrecsys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all that information.

Most of my units go between fixed and floating.
I am trying to get away from II and RcI , Looking for odd week Maui.
If I get any thing close to when I would like to go , by using floating , I build my other hawii timeshare schedule around it.