• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Gift Certificates

Mila78

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am smart enough now to know there are tons of intelligent people here who can give me great advice before I make any decisions. So here's my current question:

I was checking out the Marriott website since I have alot of points and havent really used any. I was trying to think of creative ways to use them since it seems like they won't be worth too much pretty soon lol. I came across the chart for Marriott Gift Certificates.

My question is..... how is this possible?

Elite Only - $100 Marriott Gift Cheque 25,000
$250 Marriott Cheque 60,000
Elite Only - $1000 Marriott Gift Cheque 135,000

Isn't the $1000 gift check an absolute steal compared to the $100 and even the $250? When I was reading the terms and conditions though, it said you cannot get change for your gift check. Does that mean if I purchase 2 $1000 gift checks and my hotel stay comes out to $1250.00 that I lose the $750? Is that why the $1000 gift checks are so cheap points-wise?

Also, has anyone purchased these? Are they worth the points amount?

Thanks in advance!
Mila

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mila,

We purchased the $1000 for the 135000 points. They sent us 20 ($50) checks--so you can always get within $50 of your purchase and pay the remainder in cash or credit card. And you can split them up or give some as gifts. Just note the certificates have a one year expiration.

Absolutely, the larger amount is a better deal than the smaller amount. I guess that is why they are the elite only deal.

Are they worth it? It depends on how many points you have and how you choose to spend them. It's not the best nor the worst deal.

Hope this helps!

Norma :)

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
I have redeemed for this before but it is not the best deal. 135,000 points currently can get you a week in Europe. I have redeemed this twice though since I can a bunch of points through work so my balance is usually at 500,00. This is a much better deal than anything in their product catalog, I would never redeem anything from it.

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mila,

The Czar is right, the vacation packages are a better deal, and the european ones are some of the best deals. But if you are not looking for a vacation package, or something else specific, it's not a horrendous deal. That's why I said it depends.

We spent lots of time over the past 20 years in Europe and have no desire to use our points on a vacation package when we have lots of FF miles. So for us, it was not the best deal, but we don't regret using the points for certs.

Do whatever is right for you! :hi:

Norma

Antny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Cheque Purchases?

Does anyone know if you could charge Disney theme park tickets to your room and pay with Marriott Cheques?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you could charge Disney theme park tickets to your room and pay with Marriott Cheques?

If you are an elite member you will earn a minimum of 1200 points for every $100 you spend. If you use the Marriott Visa you will earn a minimum of 1700 points for every $100 you spend.

Unless you are just looking to burn points or give away the checks as gifts, you are better off using cash or credit card. IMO

lovearuba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott gift cards

Hi
Do gift cards also expire? I have two that I forgot to use when I went to Aruba last week

lovearuba

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks Dave

Always there to answer the questions. I appreciate it