• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott fairway villas trip to New York.

davsar09

Reaction score
We are just about to exchange into MFV next March, we are family of 5, children 13,10 and 6. We will be travelling over from the UK for around 9 nights. Can either fly into Philadelphia and or JFK. Or into one and out of the other, will hire a rental car for our time. My preference at present is into Philadelphia as its only 60 miles away from resort and after 12 hours travelling don't really want another 3 hour drive as it would be from JFK.

Would like to spend a couple of days in New York doing the usual sights and attractions. Seems to be too far to do day trips with around a 3 hour drive from MFV, so am considering booking a Marriott property on the outskirts of the city where we can leave the hire car and take a train into the main districts. Can anyone recommend such a hotel?

Is there plenty to do in and around MFV in March given the weather is likely to be low 50's. The oldest two both boys like doing the usual boys things, climbing, go karting, usual beach activities. The youngest is a girlie girl who likes shopping etc

Thanks for your help in advance.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Not trying to hijack your vacation, but MFV in March with active kids?? Are you enrolled in the DC? How about a 3-4 days at Manor Club in Virginia, 2-3 days at the new DC location in Washington DC, and then a few days in NYC area. Plenty to do and see in each of those locations.

davsar09

Reaction score
Hi, yes we are enrolled into DCP. I have an interval week from another resort we own that needs to be exchanged by Aug 16 otherwise we will lose it. Exchanging through interval is a nightmare as popular resorts and areas during school holidays are never available, hence why MFV comes up as off season. I have also used many DCP for our summer 2016 vacation, intend to travel to San Francisco for 4 nights, staying in Ritz Carlton, then onto lLake Tahoe for 7 nights then to Newport Villas for final 7 days, hope these resorts will give us plenty to do as a family, thought Tahoe in summer would allow boys rafting, canoeing etc.

We did consider Manor Club but it was further from an international airport where we can get direct flights from London, didn't fancy changing flights and having a longer travelling given we are only coming over for just over 1 week. Also Manor Club area looked quite quiet. However we are still open to suggestions, hence my post.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are planning a difficult trip. If you want to go to the beach I wouldn't pick MFV, it's essentially a golf resort. You have about a nine mile drive to the beach and then you have to find a place to park.

As for the NYC portion I would stay in NYC if you want to see NYC. It's not realistic to do NYC and the beach in one trip unless you fly between destinations. If that's your plan though I would just drive into Manhattan and park the car in a garage while you are staying there. It will cost somewhere between $35 to $50 a day US depending on where you stay. You could also get a one way rental and drive to Newark airport (EWR) and take a train to NYC from there. It won't be any easy thing to do though.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are planning a difficult trip. If you want to go to the beach I wouldn't pick MFV, it's essentially a golf resort. You have about a nine mile drive to the beach and then you have to find a place to park.

The beach is 15 minutes away and you will find parking because no one is there in March. It is way to cold to swim and for me (and I live in NJ) to even walk the boardwalk.

davsar09

Reaction score
Thanks, it's not really the beach we want to do at MFV, we haven't really spent anytime in North East US, have been to usual locations Florida, Arizona, Chicago, palm desert, Las Vegas.

However we are always getting asked "what are we doing today"? Thought MFV would be a good location to explore, ie Philadelphia for a day, New York for couple days, perhaps go to Atlantic City and boardwalk to see what's it all about. I realise it's not beach weather and we will require jumpers and coats. And spend some time around the resort, use the indoor pool and other facilities it has on offer.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry but Atlantic City is not worth your time at all. Forget it exists. Being you and the family will have a better time touring NYC. I am not even sure Philadelphia is worth a visit. Sorry but I am being biased as a native NYer.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't pick up that you were planning this for March. Most of us in the NY metro area wouldn't consider what you are planning. We all head to Florida the Caribbean and Hawaii in March. Maybe HHI, but not the Jersey shore area. It's too cold and nothing is open for another month at least.

As FASTTR said I don't want to hijack your vacation but if I were going to the UK I would appreciate some advice from you so here goes.

Fly into JFK, taxi into NYC and spend a few days. Then get on a train to Boston and try to get a reservation at Custom House. You'll need two rooms there with 5 people. I love NYC but I actually think you'll like Boston better, there is tons of stuff to do there. If they had a decent baseball team I might even move there.

If you haven't had enough get on the train again from Boston to Portsmouth NH. Rent a car and drive out to a place called Wentworth by the Sea. It's a full service Marriott and one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed. In that area you can drive around the NH coastline which is absolutely beautiful. Eat lots of lobster and head back to Boston to fly back t the UK.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
I agree with the others, not much for children to do at Fairway Villas and the AC area in March .I think you would be much better off in either DC or maybe Boston. You can always visit NYC or even Phil. by train for a few nights.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
However we are always getting asked "what are we doing today"? Thought MFV would be a good location to explore, ie Philadelphia for a day, New York for couple days, perhaps go to Atlantic City and boardwalk to see what's it all about. I realise it's not beach weather and we will require jumpers and coats. And spend some time around the resort, use the indoor pool and other facilities it has on offer.

Philadelphia is closer than going to NYC. There are some historical sights in Philly and you should try the famous Philly cheese steak ;).

Atlantic City is not all that but hey nothing wrong with seeing what it's about. At least you can go somewhere you haven't been but summer is more ideal. There is a boardwalk with rides for the kids and so the kids can play the typical "county fair" games but I don't know if it will be open in March. There is an aquarium nearby.

Down the road from the Marriott Fairway Villas is a cute little town called Smithsville with shopping that has the feel of a small town USA.

NYC definitely has loads more to do and yes it is a 3 hour drive assuming no traffic. Rather than staying outside of Manhattan, look into the hotels on the other side of the river. You can take the PATH train into NYC.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can either fly into Philadelphia and or JFK. Or into one and out of the other, will hire a rental car for our time. My preference at present is into Philadelphia as its only 60 miles away from resort and after 12 hours travelling don't really want another 3 hour drive as it would be from JFK.

Did you check Newark Airport? It's in between Fairway and NYC.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Look up BatstoVillage.org .. that is a interesting.

WheatonVillage.org ...glass making since before the war of independance.

Cape May is a nice day trip ... I think some of the places have an afternoon tea in the Victorian House.

Lots of shopping - Big Outlet Mall (outdoor store walkway) as you come into Atlantic City ... which has a cute light house. Do walk up the steps .. fun for kids. Research indoor malls - Deptford Mall is right off the North/South Freeway which is where the Atlantic City Expressway dumps into heading towards PHL. I believe the Cumberland Mall is off RT 55 ... might NOT be an indoor mall.

If you want to really make the kids love you ... do fast food for Breakfast and Lunch .... make a rule you have to eat at a different chain for each meal, take photos and write a review. There is a fast food chain call "SaladWorks" ... a fast food chain means YOU order, pay and get your food while standing in the line. Then you carry your food to the table to sit and eat .... lots of chains here have wait service ... that is NOT true Fast Food.

As for the idea JFK is ONLY 3 hours .... might be mileage wise .... not insanity wise as a NYC cab driver would laugh at that even if you offered them a $200 bonus. It is the congestion and breakdowns ... mayhem for real. Plus being from England and driving on a different side after a LONG flight ... totally insane move.

PHL is 5 miles from either bridge to NJ ... take the Walt Whitman for direct road access to AC (straight line). Congestion in 3 lanes is fine - all roads and bridges built from scratch in last 50-60 years. NYC .... try 100 year old bridges and tunnels under the rivers from the depression.

davsar09

Reaction score
Forgot to mention we have been to Boston but only for 3 nights and stayed at custom house and without kids in tow. I agree with your comments, a great city, easy to explore on foot, felt safe with lots of things to see and do.

Given all the comments I feel we need to reconsider our Easter plans, perhaps use DCP instead of II and go further south.

Thanks all for your prompt and honest opinions.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you check Newark Airport? It's in between Fairway and NYC.

Newark and the NY Turnpike after a long flight ...... funny. I think 3 months ago I was doing 85-90 MPH past that airport with 6 or 7 lanes of split traffic flow => flowing with traffic . Between the tractor trailers and the tankers trailers ... I KNEW where I was and been driving that type of traffic for years on those roads. NOT for newbies to that area! My ex-bf still calls me up ...asking me to drive him up to Newark or JFK. His best male friend asked him WHY he had me come over to drive them up to JFK in his car .... his BBF found out and was screaming in the back seat (he thought Chicago traffic was crazy).

Do PHL airport.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
A few years ago we spent two weeks at MFV in June with our two young children (6 & 4). The weather was good, we could use the pools and it was beach weather. We flew into Philadelphia and it was an easy drive to the resort, about 1 1/2 hours.

Atlantic City was a dive, seedy, run down and no place to take your kids. The 'theme park' on the pier was a rip off, think cheap British pier amusements and then be prepared to be even more disappointed!

We took the bus to NYC and spent a few nights at the Marriott Marquis and this was the highlight of our trip. The hotel was a let down but New York is an absolute must see.

Avoid Smithville, it's a manufactured 'historical town' which is nothing more than a cynical tourist trap.

Would I return to MFV? Possibly. Would I go in March? No.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are just about to exchange into MFV next March, we are family of 5, children 13,10 and 6. We will be travelling over from the UK for around 9 nights. Can either fly into Philadelphia and or JFK. Or into one and out of the other, will hire a rental car for our time. My preference at present is into Philadelphia as its only 60 miles away from resort and after 12 hours travelling don't really want another 3 hour drive as it would be from JFK.

Would like to spend a couple of days in New York doing the usual sights and attractions. Seems to be too far to do day trips with around a 3 hour drive from MFV, so am considering booking a Marriott property on the outskirts of the city where we can leave the hire car and take a train into the main districts. Can anyone recommend such a hotel?

Is there plenty to do in and around MFV in March given the weather is likely to be low 50's. The oldest two both boys like doing the usual boys things, climbing, go karting, usual beach activities. The youngest is a girlie girl who likes shopping etc

Thanks for your help in advance.

Not a regular so there may be better but:
Courtyard Jersey City Newport is one I've used when I couldn't find a good deal in the city. It's by the Path Station and has parking

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a platinum week at Marriott Fairway Villas and live in NYC. I've also lived in London (zone 2) for 4 years around 2010.

I agree with the other posters here. Do NOT go to Atlantic City, it is not worth the trip with kids in March.

MFV is a nice resort and is active in the summer. I am sure that they will treat you well and the facilities are top notch. That said, I would guess that the resort will be empty and really cold in the winter. I would not stay there in March if I were you. Simply fly into New York City for the entire week and just visit the sites and restaurants. So many things to do and ways to have fun in NYC.

As others have stated, I would not recommend your driving around NYC and its airports (whether JFK or Newark) if you have never been to the area. If you are comfortable driving around central London and Paris, then you'll be ok around NYC with a gps. Otherwise, I do not recommend driving.

I would like to hear what others say about visiting Philadelphia. I grew up in Philadelphia but have not been back since I was 18. Like many kids, I never visited the tourist sites when I was growing up there but never thought the city was very interesting worthy of a visit from England. That said, I intellectually realize that the Declaration of Independence was signed there so has lots of history and Philadelphia is the 5th largest city in the USA so there should be alot to do. I still have no real desire to visit the city though. Birmingham in the UK is a large city and has history but would you recommend a family from the USA visit it?

I don't know your budget but as others have said, NYC can be done somewhat inexpensively if you plan ahead.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip>

As others have stated, I would not recommend your driving around NYC and its airports (whether JFK or Newark) if you have never been to the area. If you are comfortable driving around central London and Paris, then you'll be ok around NYC with a gps. Otherwise, I do not recommend driving.

I would like to hear what others say about visiting Philadelphia. I grew up in Philadelphia but have not been back since I was 18. Like many kids, I never visited the tourist sites when I was growing up there but never thought the city was very interesting worthy of a visit from England. That said, I intellectually realize that the Declaration of Independence was signed there so has lots of history and Philadelphia is the 5th largest city in the USA so there should be alot to do. I still have no real desire to visit the city though. Birmingham in the UK is a large city and has history but would you recommend a family from the USA visit it?

I don't know your budget but as others have said, NYC can be done somewhat inexpensively if you plan ahead.

My recent problem with GPS and NYC is ... the canyons of Manhatten make a GPS lost and "recalculating" always. Getting to Midtown 45 was okay GPS with the paper print out from home .... leaving was a BIG ISSUE ... I want to offer my thanks to the ancient SIGNS still left on light posts to the tunnel for NJ.

As for Philadelphia ... besides the Independance Historical Park area ... their Art Museum is HIGHLY rated. But the kids would love the Franklin Institute (on the Parkway)... it is NOT just a kid place for entertainment ... one of exploration for kids. Fairmount Park is huge but has statues the Art Museum owns. The Philadelphia Zoo is the OLDEST in the US ... and world class. The NJ State Aquaum is directly across the Delaware River ... worthy of a visit (esp in March).

As we in the immediate area KNOW, "THE POPE" is coming in late September for a 3 day/2 night visit to Philadelphia .... might glance over his visit's activities for ideas.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Early June this year we flew to Boston, spent 2 nights at Custom House (was so cold and rainy in Boston then!), then flew on Jet Blue to Philadelphia ($60 per ticket), rented a car at Philadelphia airport, drove to Fairway Villas. Not much to do there. Did a day trip to Philadelphia. Visited Eastern State Penitentiary which was the highlight for my boys. After 2 night at MFV returned the car to 30th St station in Philadelphia and took Megabus to NYC ($5 a ticket!). Stayed in NYC for 3 nights, so much to do there, obviously. Flew back home from NYC.
So in a week saw a lot. I can honestly say I could not spend a week at MVF. Visited Atlantic City one evening. I thought it was worth seeing but I rather go to Vegas.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, I apologize if I'm wrecking your plans, but it is going to be cold and you could get snow in both New Jersey and New York.

Williamsburg could be nice or it could rain and Williamsburg is an outdoor location. That said, Busch Gardens will be open at least on weekends. Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown are doable even with a little rain.

My suggestion would be to ditch the New Jersey idea. If you can get anything farther south take it.

I love the Washington DC idea too. No real good timeshare options via II in DC unless the Mayflower (a new Marriott timeshare) shows up. If so, I'd grab it. You can easily spend a week in DC and surrounding areas. If you want to do New York you can easily take the Amtrak from Union Station in DC. It takes just over three hours and is easy and inexpensive. You could take an early train and be in NYC by 10 in the morning. Spend the whole day, spend the night in NYC and the next day take the train back to DC at about 3:30. You'd be back by 6. Washington Dulles is an international airport, but isn't really in DC. It is about a 30 mile trip back in from the suburbs.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
I would like to hear what others say about visiting Philadelphia. I grew up in Philadelphia but have not been back since I was 18. Like many kids, I never visited the tourist sites when I was growing up there but never thought the city was very interesting worthy of a visit from England. That said, I intellectually realize that the Declaration of Independence was signed there so has lots of history and Philadelphia is the 5th largest city in the USA so there should be alot to do. I still have no real desire to visit the city though. Birmingham in the UK is a large city and has history but would you recommend a family from the USA visit it?.

We spent the day in Philadelphia on our return to the UK as we had a late flight. We visited the Liberty Bell, a couple of parks and memorials and had lunch (I can't recall where). It was pleasant enough but nothing stood out about it other than the drive to the centre, one minute we're driving through a very rough part of town, lots of doors boarded up, 3 ft high weeds and enough dodgy characters to make sure all the doors were locked and then turn a corner and it's all gleaming, well maintained, historical city centre. You really couldn't get a more opposing contrast.

As for the 'cheese' steaks, what a disappointment! I was looking forward to trying the famous icon but what I received was dismal. And to label something that comes out of a squeezy bottle as cheese......!

Oh and I wouldn't recommend Birmingham to anyone from the US either, I actually wouldn't recommend Birmingham to anyone from the UK.

live4life

Reaction score
Hey Davsar09:

I live in NYC and have been to Fairway Villas ... so here's my two cents:

I understand that you are "about to exchange" for a Villa in NJ in March. If you must do it, then note that you'll be 1.5 hrs or 2 hrs to Manhattan (NYC) depending on traffic from the resort if you're driving. Again, under the premise that you have to come to the northeast and stay at MFV, then fly to Phili for a shorter ride to the resort after a long flight. At the resort, you will most likely have the small indoor pool for the kids, otherwise, you'll have to drive to nearby towns for bowling, movies or other kid-friendly activities if hanging around the room is not an option for the week. Remember that it's March and most likely will feel like a raw cold wind hitting your face with the possibility of snow or ice showers... When travelling to NYC, I would definitely book a room and plan what you will do within the time you are there- the parking charge will be brutal (whether vallet, garage, or on the street). In essence, you will be 'burning' time from the villa to enjoy NYC, but going back and forth is not worth the lost time of being in the city.

IF YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO DEPOSIT YOUR WEEK FOR POINTS or get another vacation at another time and/or another resort when the weather is amenable, get it done and book your NYC stay using MRPs or cash which ever is better.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I would be happy to assist. I just returned from Europe a few months ago, and a few folks were good to me with information so it's only right to help where I can.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted...

Last edited: