• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Custom House/ Boston

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
This location does not seem to get a lot of air play but we just returned from 1 week there. It is a great location and Boston is a terrific city to visit. I might suggest that famalies looking for a vacation destination really consider this location.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for coming. :wave:

We love living in the Boston area. There is so much to see and do here. Glad you enjoyed your vacation.

Sue

linandbri

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going First Week In October

We are looking forward to our trip and I have been reading everything I can. What floor did you stay on. Favorite places to eat. Any other suggestions?

Linda

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
This location does not seem to get a lot of air play but we just returned from 1 week there. It is a great location and Boston is a terrific city to visit. I might suggest that famalies looking for a vacation destination really consider this location.

We'll be there next May but, it looks like we'll need to make a second trip sometime in the future. There's no way we'll be able to do/see everything we want to do with just one week.

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Linda; we stayed on the 17th floor. THe JFK Library is a must and so is a visit to Fenway. The subway is very easy to use. The Chart House restaraunt across the street on the Wharf was very nice for a meal. Regina Pizza in the North End was terrific (not fancy but great pizza) and La Summa was great for Pasta, red sauce in the North End. All the little places in the Quincey market especially the bakeries were really good. If you want high end shoping go to Newbury St. or Copely square. We also took half a day and went out to Harvard. All in all there is lots to do.

javabean

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Custom House this past January. We used an AC that was about to expire and got in because it was within the 60 window. It was wonderful, but drafty near those big windows. My pictures of the unit are posted on TripAdvisor.com (before I discovered TUG). 14th floor, river view. It was a great getaway. Sailboats and sunshine on the Charles River one day, snowstorm the next.

labguides

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wish we could get in at Custom House. A group of 4 women are going to Boston in late October.

What do you suggest that we see in Boston area?

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are into history, walk the Freedom Trail. It is like a little self-guided tour and covers all of the highlights of history in the city. I also liked the aquarium. And for a group of 4 women, Fanuel (sp?) Hall is a must.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We are looking forward to our trip and I have been reading everything I can. What floor did you stay on. Favorite places to eat. Any other suggestions?

Linda
Places to go:
You must walk the freedom trail. An amazing experience if you have the slightest interest in American History.
Surprisingly, as a non-sports fan, I enjoyed the tour of Fenway Park.
Walk the Harvard Campus. There are a number of official tours, but the free (tips only) unofficial tour is the best, and you can also get a map for a decent self-guided tour in Harvard Square.
Get half-price tickets from the booth at Quincy Market and see a good show or two.
Shop at Filene's Basement (not Filene's, which I'm not sure if it's even around anymore, but they're two different stores).

Favorite Places to eat:

Legal Seafoods. Second best Lobster in the country (the first is a little place in Maine). Also excellent clam chowdah and sourdough bread.
Plaza III. Great steaks (from Kansas City).
Toscaninni's Ice Cream in Cambridge. Get the Burnt Caramel or Toasted Marshmallow & you won't be sorry.
Emack & Bolio's Ice Cream. Best Oreo Cookie Ice Cream on the Planet.
There are some great Italian places in the North End, and there's one where I always go, but I don't know the name or street. I just walk there. But most of the North End Italian joints are great, and you can just ask Ellen (the concierge at the Custom House) for recommendations.
I also go to the food stalls in Quincy Market for breakfast and lunch quite a bit. They are all reasonably priced, with good food.

Also, there's usually the Farmer's Market at the Haymarket, near the resort, that's open on the day you check in. I think it's open both Friday and Saturday. Really fresh and reasonably priced produce, cheeses and snacks for the room. Stop by the first day and stock up for the room.

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just FYI Feline's basement is closed, they are attempting to possibly re-open some time in 2009.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
The main Filene's and Filene's basement are undergoing renovations, but there are Filene's Basements located in the surrounding area, if you're so inclined.

BTW, this is my 1000th post! :banana:

Someone on this board put together a fantastic list of links for the Boston area. I'd suggest that you do a search on Boston and try to find it. It's better than most guide books.

javabean

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we went to Custom House last January, I checked out the Boston Symphony Orchestra and was able to get tickets for that evening. What a beautiful place and a wonderful evening. The subway stop direct to Symphony Hall exit was three well lit blocks from Custom House. My DH walked me to the subway and spent his evening watching the Football playoffs at the small lounge/meeting room at Custom House. I exited Symphony Hall with hundreds of others and rode the subway back. An enjoyable vacation evening for each of us. Check it out.

mlfrancis

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
eating in Boston

you need to eat at Giacomo's on Hanover Street - the best Italian in Boston, we think. It's cash only, no CC's; also, no reservations - the line starts to build about an hour before they open (at 5, I think) - only about 10-12 tables, very tight. Fabulous seafood prepared Italian-style, reasonable prices for Boston.

Also - if you haven't been to Boston, go to Legal Sea Food - there are several locations. The clam chowder is fabulous, decent seafood, kind of touristy but consistent.

linandbri

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

American airlines called and changed our flight so we decided to ask if we could go 3 days early with no fee change and they said yes. :)

We thought we would spend a night in Rockport, Ma A night in North Conway NH and the 3rd night in Newport RI. Looking for Bed & Breakfast there seems to be a lot to choose from, just a matter of pleasing my husband's budget.

Any feedback for those of you that know the area.......

Linda