• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott changes to Staroptions??

gtneher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello just did my owner update at Sheraton Vistana Villages where I have a Key West and Bella unit that I bought on resale market over 10 years ago and they tell me that there will be great competition in use of the Staroptions from new Marriott owners. I bought these specifically for use in Atlantis, Hawaii, etc and would be greatly concerned if my Staroptions usage was limited due to the merger (or whatever it was). Anyone have any information about this? It was really strange they did not try to sell me anything telling me there was nothing to convert for me.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Hello just did my owner update at Sheraton Vistana Villages where I have a Key West and Bella unit that I bought on resale market over 10 years ago and they tell me that there will be great competition in use of the Staroptions from new Marriott owners. I bought these specifically for use in Atlantis, Hawaii, etc and would be greatly concerned if my Staroptions usage was limited due to the merger (or whatever it was). Anyone have any information about this? It was really strange they did not try to sell me anything telling me there was nothing to convert for me.
They were probably trying to sell you a Flex package without your realizing it. Don't worry - there is no way for MVC owners to use SO other than an Interval exchange. While there has been some talk of an "overlay" system that would allow conversions between the systems, at present there is nothing official and you will still be able to make your reservations as you have in the past.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt they were not actually trying to sell you anything, they were probably waiting for your reaction. They may be right, some resorts may be harder to book on Staroptions after the merger but does that not mean that some Marriot resorts will become available? In the end, the average number of weeks per owner should remain the same after they combine the programs.

Even if they are right and it will be harder to book, what was their solution? Sheraton flex only has home advantage to a limited number of resorts that are not where you seem to want to go and you would have to pay tens of thousands of dollars to get the same number of points from them. The maintenance fees would also be higher if you own high season currently. Aside from the home resorts, you would still book like everyone else at 8 months so there will not be any advantage for you.

Last edited:

gtneher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. He did tell me that my ability to get into the flex program has expired and that there is nothing he could go for me to improve my position given I bought on the resale market in the past. I would not have done it anyway. I did get the idea he was just trying to get my reaction.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
They probably realized that since you bought on the resale market you already knew better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtneher

TUG Member
Reaction score
They were probably trying to sell you a Flex package without your realizing it. Don't worry - there is no way for MVC owners to use SO other than an Interval exchange. While there has been some talk of an "overlay" system that would allow conversions between the systems, at present there is nothing official and you will still be able to make your reservations as you have in the past.
So another Tugger just reported the same thing. Does anyone know what their power is to change this and add others (MVC) to our network? That would make for a worthless timeshare.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
So another Tugger just reported the same thing. Does anyone know what their power is to change this and add others (MVC) to our network? That would make for a worthless timeshare.

From the 2015 VSN Disclosure Guide, page 23:

8.4 Special Exchange Programs. Network Operator reserves the right, from time to time, to enter into special exchange relationships with any entity other than an External Exchange Company pursuant to which Network Members will have access to selected non-Network resorts and non-Network owners will have access to Network accommodations after the Home Resort Reservation Period. Any special exchange programs will be governed by reservation rules and regulations similar to those governing an External Exchange Program.

Source:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

The Club (ie the use of SOs at other properties at 8mos) isn't a deeded right, correct? so I am thinking they could change that whenever to whatever they want.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
From the 2015 VSN Disclosure Guide, page 23:
“ Any special exchange programs will be governed by reservation rules and regulations similar to those governing an External Exchange Program.”

Source:

Wouldn’t that mean, a similar situation like we have with II? Essentially, you have to give up what you have to play in the new pool? The exchange COULD be something like we have now with interval where you opt to convert and book inventory separate from general interval inventory. Exchange in interval or exchange in the Marriott/vistana only system. I don’t see any Marriott of vistana owners ever exchanging in interval if there was a separate exclusive Marriott/vistana exchange.

I met a sales rep in the pool over the summer at the grand vista (he was with his family on a staycation ). We talked a lot about the history of Marriott and vistana, etc. he did mention that a new system was coming but NO ONE knows anything. They are “hoping” for the ability to convert at around 6 months but they really have no idea. I’ll take the word of a sales rep not working and just shooting the “sh!t” about timeshares in a pool over an active sales rep trying to make a sale.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The Club (ie the use of SOs at other properties at 8mos) isn't a deeded right, correct? so I am thinking they could change that whenever to whatever they want.
Read through the documents. There are rules governing the network. They have to do something with mandatory resorts. If they abolish the VSN and make one new network, I’d think mandatory resorts would have to be a member in that new network. I wonder if They could re-work the star options chart and make one DC point chart. In which case, I could see a huge devaluation of certain vistana resorts.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

My deeds at SVV and at WSJ all include "according and subject to the declaration of the" appropriate condominium as part of the description of the property that I received. The declarations as available on the VSE website include the VSN disclosure guidelines document that discusses the use of SOs and the existence of the external exchange program.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Read through the documents. There are rules governing the network. They have to do something with mandatory resorts. If they abolish the VSN and make one new network, I’d think mandatory resorts would have to be a member in that new network. I wonder if They could re-work the star options chart and make one DC point chart. In which case, I could see a huge devaluation of certain vistana resorts.

they have to maintain a Club for mandatory resorts, but the details of the Club are a separate document, right?

I agree that mandatory resorts would have to be part of any new exchange system if SOs were replaced, but there's no guarantee of the relative value of the new currency.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I met a sales rep in the pool over the summer at the grand vista (he was with his family on a staycation ). We talked a lot about the history of Marriott and vistana, etc. he did mention that a new system was coming but NO ONE knows anything. They are “hoping” for the ability to convert at around 6 months but they really have no idea. I’ll take the word of a sales rep not working and just shooting the “sh!t” about timeshares in a pool over an active sales rep trying to make a sale.

This may be the first confirmed sighting of a timeshares sales rep actually staying at a timeshare resort in all the years I’ve been on TUG, even if it was his home town. I remember several “updates” I had in my first few years of ownership where the sales reps said they had 4/5/8 weeks themselves and made a profit renting them, using them, etc...and that they paid the same retail rate they were offering me. It was hilarious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
This may be the first confirmed sighting of a timeshares sales rep actually staying at a timeshare resort in all the years I’ve been on TUG, even if it was his home town. I remember several “updates” I had in my first few years of ownership where the sales reps said they had 4/5/8 weeks themselves and made a profit renting them, using them, etc...and that they paid the same retail rate they were offering me. It was hilarious.

Almost every rep I’ve spoke to at a presentation owned multiple weeks because that’s how valuable they are. I usually ask why don’t they buy another week and wait for their response. If it’s “I plan on it” I tell them to start with the one they are trying to sell me. If they say they own enough, I respond with “ah, so do I” and that usually ends that.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Almost every rep I’ve spoke to at a presentation owned multiple weeks because that’s how valuable they are. I usually ask why don’t they buy another week and wait for their response. If it’s “I plan on it” I tell them to start with the one they are trying to sell me. If they say they own enough, I respond with “ah, so do I” and that usually ends that.

ROFL. I highly doubt the majority of reps own weeks.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
ROFL. I highly doubt the majority of reps own weeks.

Couldn’t agree more, well except for Westgate reps..... I mean, how can one pass up owning there? Ha

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3

They told us that the last couple years. Sales people are liars. I seriously doubt anything will change for week owners. I've heard, although secondhand, that the overall manager at Lagunamar said that Marriott owners would never be able to book directly into Vistana. I suppose they could do it on the points side if they merged, but..

Another reason for my opinion is that Marriott Vacation Club changed to a points system in 2010. Week owners still have to trade through Interval if they want to go to another resort, just like they always have had to do. MVC is still, 10 years later, two separate ownership systems, weeks and points.

A lot of these lies are based in Interval trading. Yes, now Marriott owners have a priority in trading through Interval to Vistana Properties. However, we have the same priority with trading into MVC. That said, I feel like Vistana got way the better end of the Interval trading deal because MVC owners have to use Interval to trade. If you are working within the system you own, nothing has changed.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

At my presentation yesterday that is exactly what the rep tried doing. Selling the benefits of flex just by explaining how the new system will work all while trying to get me to buy something. As far as the cross booking, He said “we know exactly what’s coming and how it’s going to work” then he proceeded to tell me the conversion rate.

Also, there is no true “converting”, It’s automatic at the point of booking. He said flex owners with the ability to convert to bonvoy points (developer purchase) will be able to book any brand at 13 months. I asked if everyone can book at 13 mo, how do Westin flex owners have priority at 12-8 mo in Westin resorts if any MVC/Sheraton flex owner can book at 13 mo? I think that one stumped him. For example, if I buy Sheraton flex today I can’t book a Westin property until 8 months out, but starting 1/2022 I can book a Westin at 13mo by converting to DP’s, and there are no separate inventory buckets (his words)? So, my Sheraton flex jumps Westin flex owners by 1 month by booking with DP’s. Confused yet? He also thought once you bank star options they are automatically restricted to be used at 6 months, I assured him it was 8..... I asked when that changed and he said it’s been that way since he has been working here for 8 years lol.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
At my presentation yesterday that is exactly what the rep tried doing. Selling the benefits of flex just by explaining how the new system will work all while trying to get me to buy something. As far as the cross booking, He said “we know exactly what’s coming and how it’s going to work” then he proceeded to tell me the conversion rate.

Also, there is no true “converting”, It’s automatic at the point of booking. He said flex owners with the ability to convert to bonvoy points (developer purchase) will be able to book any brand at 13 months. I asked if everyone can book at 13 mo, how do Westin flex owners have priority at 12-8 mo in Westin resorts if any MVC/Sheraton flex owner can book at 13 mo? I think that one stumped him. For example, if I buy Sheraton flex today I can’t book a Westin property until 8 months out, but starting 1/2022 I can book a Westin at 13mo by converting to DP’s, and there are no separate inventory buckets (his words)? So, my Sheraton flex jumps Westin flex owners by 1 month by booking with DP’s. Confused yet? He also thought once you bank star options they are automatically restricted to be used at 6 months, I assured him it was 8..... I asked when that changed and he said it’s been that way since he has been working here for 8 years lol.
I guess those that were hoping to be able to rent out DC points originating from SO will be disappointed.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
He also thought once you bank star options they are automatically restricted to be used at 6 months, I assured him it was 8..... I asked when that changed and he said it’s been that way since he has been working here for 8 years lol.
Nice!! Did he concede that you were right?? How bad was the "update" SVV & SVR are the Worst!!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Nice!! Did he concede that you were right?? How bad was the "update" SVV & SVR are the Worst!!
He got up to go fact check me and came back 5 minutes later saying I was correct but then quickly went into something else. It’s amazing how he was taking paperwork dated 2019 and trying to pass it off as it was brand new and upcoming. It seems now that they can’t take back weeks and give equity on resale weeks toward flex plans, the know they have nothing to sell to resale owners.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
He got up to go fact check me and came back 5 minutes later saying I was correct but then quickly went into something else. It’s amazing how he was taking paperwork dated 2019 and trying to pass it off as it was brand new and upcoming. It seems now that they can’t take back weeks and give equity on resale weeks toward flex plans, the know they have nothing to sell to resale owners.
You should have showed him the Vistana "Stickies" section on TUG. Told him he should do some reading and research. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Wow sales must be awesome during the pandemic if they have nothing left to sell!! o_O

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I had a really poor “owners update” at Westin St. John last week. The sales rep told me that VSN and Marriott have already been integrated and I already have access to the Marriott properties via a StarOptions chart. He “proved” it to me by pulling up the Interval website and rapidly scrolling through a list of available units. I told him those resorts are never available for instant exchange but today they are due to COVID and the fact that nobody can travel to those countries/destinations. He wouldn’t listen. Then he told me that 5-star Elite status got me access to something akin to Marriott Ambassadors and they’d arrange my whole vacation for me: Villa, rental cars, flights, activities, the whole gamut. Wow, to think I’ve been missing out all these years.

We weren’t interested in much of what he was selling, but amazingly they had a fixed pool villa week that aligned perfectly with our existing ownership, including the same unit number. When we started asking questions about various options to purchase, retro, etc, he became indignant and said we were asking too many questions and he was going to get in trouble if we kept “making” him go to the sales manager to get “approval” for the various scenarios.

We ended up deciding not to purchase and I told the explorer package rep that I didn’t like the sales rep. She seemed shocked.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I had a really poor “owners update” at Westin St. John last week.
We weren’t interested in much of what he was selling, but amazingly they had a fixed pool villa week that aligned perfectly with our existing ownership, including the same unit number. When we started asking questions about various options to purchase, retro, etc, he became indignant and said we were asking too many questions and he was going to get in trouble if we kept “making” him go to the sales manager to get “approval” for the various scenarios.

We ended up deciding not to purchase and I told the explorer package rep that I didn’t like the sales rep. She seemed shocked.

Maybe that sales rep really didn't have that fixed pool villa week to sell. I can't see otherwise why he wouldn't work with you to try to make a sale.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Maybe that sales rep really didn't have that fixed pool villa week to sell. I can't see otherwise why he wouldn't work with you to try to make a sale.
He had it. I saw the inventory sheet.