• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Bonvoy Points and a Deceased Spouse

vicola

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently read "how to handle a deceased member's account" information on the marriott.com website. Points can be transferred to a family member or a friend who is an active member-wow! Additionally, elite night credit does not transfer over to the recipient of the bonus points.

As a recent widow and not the holder of the charge card, it seems unfair that I would need to be an active cardholder for the points to be transferred! The other option given is for me to open a new account and spend the required $ amount to get the additional points.

Any suggestions or input is appreciated!

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t read ”active member” as a credit card holder.

You can open a Bonvoy account without having a Marriott credit card.
My daughter just opened an account last month so I could transfer some points to her for an upcoming trip.
Seems to me you just open a Bonvoy account and call Marriott to have them transfer the points in- although I don’t have any experience with this.

My condolences on your loss.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
The exact language is “active Marriott Bonvoy® Member.” That just means you have to have a Marriott Bonvoy account, no credit card necessary.
Same language as for transferring points regularly. Person just needs an account, so if you do not have one you just need to create a Bonvoy account.
Also, don’t forget to update the linked account on your Marriott Vacation Club to your account also.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently read "how to handle a deceased member's account" information on the marriott.com website. Points can be transferred to a family member or a friend who is an active member-wow! Additionally, elite night credit does not transfer over to the recipient of the bonus points.

As a recent widow and not the holder of the charge card, it seems unfair that I would need to be an active cardholder for the points to be transferred! The other option given is for me to open a new account and spend the required $ amount to get the additional points.

As noted, no CC necessary. Maybe you could use up any applicable credits in the account this year and transfer Jan, 2024? If you have access to the Convoy Account, it shouldn't be difficult to run that out for the year and change the name to yours. Unfortunately MVC/Bonvoy doesn't allow joint accounts like some companies do.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t have any wisdom on the Bonvoy points, just wanted to say I’m sorry for your loss. Best wishes as you wade through all the business associated with the death of a spouse.

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. In the meantime, if you have his Bonvoy login information, you can simply log in as your spouse, make reservations and add your name as a guest. You'll then be able to check in and enjoy the benefits of those bookings.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, I had this experience when my husband passed.
It seems like a death certificate would be sufficient for a spousal name change on the Bonvoy account. I was disgruntled to lose status benefits that 'we' had earned together.