• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott acquisition of Interval International

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
My understanding of DeX:

1) Everything consumer facing for those exchanging within DeX is branded as DeX

2) It functions as a true full exchange for exchanges taking place within the greater DRI community (points owners and weeks owners trading weeks across the system … but does not yet include HGVC)

3) For exchanges where one of the resorts is outside the DRI system, it is DeX on the consumer end and it is interfacing with RCI on the back end.

4) The way 1-3 work above, only enough DRI inventory is deposited into RCI to offset people in DeX (DRI) trading outside the system into RCI inventory.

5) The uniqueness of this system is that none of it is RCI branded and HGVC/DRI could grow it out and away from RCI if they want

6) It is only like $150 for an online exchange versus the $259 RCI charges

7) I have no idea what the DRI/RCI contractual arrangement is, but DRI/HGVC have leverage — they are by far the largest non-Wyndham timeshare system dealing with RCI.
Thanks. I have red on TUG that while the exchange fee is lower, they inflate the points needed from DRI resorts to make the exchange. I don't have any personal experience on that.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
@NiteMaire and DRI weeks owners with good and relatively affordable weeks seem to do well trading weeks.

My guess is on the DRI points side DRI/DEX may have driven a better bargain with RCI on exchange fees than they did trading value.

In my view it is good to know how DeX operated in the past, but when/if they build it up as an exchange I expect it to evolve a fair amount.

Thanks. I have red on TUG that while the exchange fee is lower, they inflate the points needed from DRI resorts to make the exchange. I don't have any personal experience on that.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
@NiteMaire and DRI weeks owners with good and relatively affordable weeks seem to do well trading weeks.
Yes, deeded weeks can do very well in DeX. This morning, I exchanged for a July 4th week on the Big Island. When I get the email, I'm sure it'll have RCI on it, just like my exchange into The Grand Islander by HGVC.
On the deeded side, we pay a tier upgrade fee to get access to certain inventory. For instance, we paid $149 for the trade, then an upgrade fee of $225. Not a bad deal considering my cost basis is ~$475 for MF. I could have avoided the additional $225 fee if I selected the 1BR since it would have been the same tier as the Sedona unit I deposited. My exchange cost would have been only $149. Room size, view, and season seem to be the driving factors (among others) for DRI unit tiers. I'm not certain what is used for the inventory pulled from RCI, but some of those apply. For instance HGVC, Shell, and Wyndham 2BR units in Hawaii are all tier 5 (for the time frame I was looking at). My 1BR at Sedona Summit is tier 4, while the studio is tier 3. If I deposited the full 2BR (which I will never do), then it would be a tier 5 as well. One great thing about DeX is that I can choose the view if it is a DRI resort. For instance, 2BR at Point at Poipu can be tier 4 (garden/partial ocean view), 5 (ocean view), or 6 (ocean front). For certain weeks the tier is one higher (except tier 6 stays tier 6). If I want to minimize cost, I'd select a tier 4 unit and use my tier 4 Sedona deposit. If it's not a DRI resort, I'm subject to whatever view is associated with the RCI exchange.
@escanoe reference one of your previous posts, there is HGVC inventory in DeX; however, it's through the RCI affiliation, not the acquisition. It's very limited, but it's there. We'll see if (slightly) more inventory is available in the future.

I recently used II to exchange into Ka'anapali Beach Club. Cost was roughly the same as doing it through DeX, but I purchased ePlus and have flexibility to retrade if our plans change. I've mentioned other places, but DRI has a draconian cancellation policy. While you can pay $75 to avoid the full $200 to reinstate your deposit, you still lose the exchange fee and any applicable tier upgrade fee. Ouch.