• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Manhattan Club "hospitality fee" increases to $54.22/day as of 1/1/17

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Subject line pretty much says it all. FYI for anyone looking to exchange into Manhattan Club.

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
What a joke. I wonder if you can still avoid that fee when exchanging through SFX.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid $38.50 a day this summer. I thought that was bad. Several years ago I swore I would never stay there again, but then an exchange popped up that fit perfectly with the plans I already had. Additionally, I was only 2400 Hilton Club points which was a great deal for me.

So what did I get for my $38.50 a day. Nothing as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't let them clean my room since on 2 previous stay kept leaving my door unlocked and open! You can my story elsewhere on TUG.

They could be so awesome. I love the location. I actually liked the units we always requested which basically faced other units. But they can be such a pain in the rear end. And they're just horrible if you're an owner.

stonebroke

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Full Email from RCI

I am not happy about this either.
:annoyed:

Dear RCI Member:

We are writing to you concerning your upcoming RCI vacation to The Manhattan Club in New York, New York.

The staff at The Manhattan Club advised us that effective January 1, 2017, their hospitality fee will change to USD $54.22 per day. This fee covers WiFi, daily housekeeping, bed make and fresh towels. Please be aware that resort fees are subject to change without prior notice.

We realize this may have an impact on your vacation and wanted to inform you of this situation in advance. Since space availability is limited in the area you confirmed, we encourage you to retain your vacation. Should you decide to cancel your stay, our standard cancellation guidelines will apply.

If you have questions, please contact our Member Services at (800) 338-7777. RCI Guides are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., local time and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., local time. Call Center hours are based on local times for RCI subscribing members in the Continental United States, Western Canada and Central Canada. For members in Hawaii and Alaska, Call Center hours are based on Pacific Time. For members in the Caribbean and Atlantic Canada, Call Center hours are based on Eastern Time. The Call Center is closed on most major U.S. holidays.

We apologize for any inconvenience and look forward to providing you with quality vacations in the years to come.

Sincerely,

RCI Customer Service

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Its too bad that its not optional, we don't require daily cleanups for short stays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
When we stayed at MC in 2011 I think we paid about half that rate. I can't imagine that "Wifi, fresh towels, and a daily bed make up" would justify even that much expense, let alone doubling it.

I do recall they kept insisting we take the timeshare sales pitch tour, and if we did, they'd waive the fee. So this sounds like nothing more than incentive extortion to get guests to take the tour.

Location is everything, and that's the one thing MC has going for it. Everything else is just rhetoric. Although one day we did ride down in the elevator with Jeff Bezos, owner of Amazon. That was kind of cool. :shrug:

Dave

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Manhattan Club "hospitality fee" increases to $54.22/day as of 1/1/17

Its obvious, Governor Cuomo signed the new minimum wage law. It was raised from $9.75 to $15.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/go...plan-and-12-week-paid-family-leave-policy-law

For workers in New York City employed by large businesses (those with at least 11 employees), the minimum wage would rise to $11 at the end of 2016, then another $2 each year after, reaching $15 on 12/31/2018.
For workers in New York City employed by small businesses (those with 10 employees or fewer), the minimum wage would rise to $10.50 by the end of 2016, then another $1.50 each year after, reaching $15 on 12/31/2019.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Its obvious, Governor Cuomo signed the new minimum wage law. It was raised from $9.75 to $15.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/go...plan-and-12-week-paid-family-leave-policy-law

For workers in New York City employed by large businesses (those with at least 11 employees), the minimum wage would rise to $11 at the end of 2016, then another $2 each year after, reaching $15 on 12/31/2018.
For workers in New York City employed by small businesses (those with 10 employees or fewer), the minimum wage would rise to $10.50 by the end of 2016, then another $1.50 each year after, reaching $15 on 12/31/2019.

An increase of $2/hour from 2016 (it's currently $9/hour) to 2017 doesn't merit a fee increase of $15.72 per day per exchanged unit. It also doesn't force the management of the resort to place that increase on the shoulders of exchangers vs. owners.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
An increase of $2/hour from 2016 (it's currently $9/hour) to 2017 doesn't merit a fee increase of $15.72 per day per exchanged unit. It also doesn't force the management of the resort to place that increase on the shoulders of exchangers vs. owners.

$2 per hr, add on employment taxes, it is up to about $2.60 per hr per person, plus 1.5 times for any overtime, multiply that by the number of people involved with the work, yes, the numbers go up very quickly. We ran a business and any, what appears to be small wage increase to the public has serious cost implication to businesses in the service industry.

Last edited:

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
$2 per hr, add on employment taxes, it is up to about $2.60 per hr per person, plus 1.5 times for any overtime, multiply that by the number of people involved with the work, yes, the numbers go up very quickly. We ran a business and any, what appears to be small wage increase to the public has serious cost implication to businesses in the service industry.

Honestly, I would be willing to pay a little more to be sure the staff at a resort where I'm staying are paid a living wage. $9/hour is not a living wage anywhere, let alone Manhattan. But ultimately it still remains that (A) we don't know that's the reason for the increase, and (B) the decision to increase the fee for exchangers falls fully on the management of the resort, not the state government. If it were an owner in the suite instead of an exchanger, the staff would still get paid.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use to be the daily fee applied to RCI reservations but not II reservations - is that still the case?

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use to be the daily fee applied to RCI reservations but not II reservations - is that still the case?

I'd be interested in knowing this as well. My guess is MC is insisting on fees before they'll sign on with RCI and maybe II, perhaps because all/most of the inventory would come from resort deposits, not owners, who could rent for a pretty penny.

SFX, OTOH, might be getting deposits from owners--just a wild guess.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How much of this increase will be going to the maintenance staff and housekeeping staff. I bet zero "0".