• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mama's Fish House

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
No, didn't see any cockroaches. We've lived in Hawaii long enough to know what they look like. :D

We had a nice table in a corner and had a great view. This was pre-diagnosis for my wife and they were very accommodating.
I'm sure since 1986 they've managed to take care of the cockroaches, lol. :p

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I'm sure since 1986 they've managed to take care of the cockroaches, lol. :p

Wait, you said 1968 in your other post. I was only 5 years old then. :D

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Want to weigh in with a diagnosis?

Not particularly. That's why I pepper these posts with "in general" and "the majority of the time."

Like I said, we've had people who discover they had a food allergy in the restaurant -- first time they've encountered kiwi fruit was the most-recent example. With enough diners eating enough meals over the course of years, it's hard not to "see it all."

I agree that we weren't there and we don't know. However, in general, food-borne illness is something diners get wrong more often than they get it right. They fall for the correlation causation fallacy. When this happens on Yelp and Tripadvisor, it can sink a restaurant -- which may or may not deserve it.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Wait, you said 1968 in your other post. I was only 5 years old then. :D
You're a baby. That trip was when I graduated from high school.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It's tough for the two of us to pay so much for food at a restaurant. We grew up poor, really poor. Until Rick and I married, we had each only visited one state besides where we grew up: he went to Yellowstone for a camping trip with his folks, and I spent my summers on the farm in Nebraska. Neither one of us felt like we missed anything, until we started going to Disneyland when we were 21, then we took the kids when they were 4, 6 and 8. After that, we started traveling regularly to CA.

We went to Mama's twice, both with gift certificates to cover some of the expense. Our daughter gave us one for our anniversary, and my sister gave us one for getting her two fabulous exchanges to Kauai (Shearwater) and Marriott's Lahaina and Napili Villas. We used them toward a meal, but Rick's stepmom paid the difference at least once, maybe she paid both times. I don't remember, but she loved it there, and I would go again to enjoy her company, but she passed almost two years ago. Now I won't go again. It was sad enough going to Kauai (Shearwater) without her last month. Our first trip without that dear lady.

By the way, we graduated in 1973. Luanne and @b2bailey, you are so old! :LOL: You are as old as you feel. I think we might slow down our traveling in about 25 years.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
By the way, we graduated in 1973. Luanne and @b2bailey, you are so old! :LOL: You are as old as you feel. I think we might slow down our traveling in about 25 years.

Cindy, I hate to tell you but graduating in 1973 makes you so old as well. ;)

MarcyL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner
It's all about priorities.

I don't own a smartphone. I have a flip phone from the turn of the century. It will be made obsolete in December when 3G is retired. I have never been on the inside of a Starbucks. It's been decades since I've been on the inside of a fast-food joint. I very, very, very rarely eat out. I only eat out when I am excited to try the restaurant's food. And frankly, most of the world's restaurants don't excite me.

I look at dropping a few bills at El Bulli or the Fat Duck as an investment -- I'm going to duplicate these meals in my kitchen for a lifetime. Amortized, I'm spending basically nothing for the free lessons -- and I'm getting a great meal. There's no down side.

EDIT -- When my wife and I eat at such a place, she orders her heart's desire. I order my heart's desire. And then we eat half our plate and then switch. And we both bring notebooks and take notes on both meals. Going to the great restaurants is better than any culinary school.
No, didn't see any cockroaches. We've lived in Hawaii long enough to know what they look like. :D

We had a nice table in a corner and had a great view. This was pre-diagnosis for my wife and they were very accommodating.
What on earth I have DM'ing and making HRC TS purchase decisions based on advice from a person who uses a flip phone? I gotta tighten up my screening, lol. Seriously, you're my hero.
Well I do own a smartphone and I have (rarely) been in fast food restaurants and Starbucks, BUT my husband and I do exactly what you and your wife do! I thought we were the only ones. We each order exactly what we want, eat half, and then switch plates! We do consult because we both have some fairly strong dislikes and try to avoid those but we analyze the dishes we love and I try to recreate them at home. He does all the dishes as I am the one who enjoys cooking. I love your assessment, it is an investment and amortized it is nothing! Perfectly put!

ScoopKona

Reaction score
We each order exactly what we want, eat half, and then switch plates! We do consult because we both have some fairly strong dislikes and try to avoid those but we analyze the dishes we love and I try to recreate them at home. I love your assessment, it is an investment and amortized it is nothing! Perfectly put!

It's a shame you have food aversions. Because another trick is to order omakase.

We do this more than half the time we eat out -- unless the restaurant is famous for something we want to try. Here's how we order:

"Good evening! Is Executive Chef Joe Blough in the kitchen today? [Google the exec's name. He or she is almost always in the kitchen. Pretty-much lives there.] We have no food allergies or aversions. So we'd like two different appetizers, two different entrees, and we'll split a dessert. The som can pick whatever wine by the glass he or she thinks we should have."

Not once ever have we been served the most-expensive menu item. And sometimes, the chef will make some dish that he or she thinks we should try and serves us something completely off menu. And very rarely, we get the complete tasting menu -- a couple bites of everything they make. That's the best. In 20 years of ordering this way, we've received the whole menu maybe five times. But wow, were those some memorable meals.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a shame you have food aversions. Because another trick is to order omakase.

We do this more than half the time we eat out -- unless the restaurant is famous for something we want to try. Here's how we order:

"Good evening! Is Executive Chef Joe Blough in the kitchen today? [Google the exec's name. He or she is almost always in the kitchen. Pretty-much lives there.] We have no food allergies or aversions. So we'd like two different appetizers, two different entrees, and we'll split a dessert. The som can pick whatever wine by the glass he or she thinks we should have."

Not once ever have we been served the most-expensive menu item. And sometimes, the chef will make some dish that he or she thinks we should try and serves us something completely off menu. And very rarely, we get the complete tasting menu -- a couple bites of everything they make. That's the best. In 20 years of ordering this way, we've received the whole menu maybe five times. But wow, were those some memorable meals.

That sounds fun!

MarcyL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner
Part of the problem is Rob (husband) lived in Alaska for 30 years and even worked as a commercial fisherman for awhile and I also lived in Alaska for 10 years (I am a retired OB/Gyn physician and was VERY spoiled by my wonderful patients bringing me fish (halibut was a fave) that had been swimming a few hours previous) so we are both extremely critical of fish. And fish is often the "specialty." I do love Ono when I go to Hawaii and am rarely disappointed because it is usually quite fresh. Our timeshare is in Kihei (Maui Schooner) and we go to Eskimo Candy at least twice every trip for lunch or dinner and take it down to the beach. Bargain lunch of fresh Ono with an ocean front picnic table. Obviously I still adhere to my working class blue collar roots and always try to get a "deal!" Hence the owner run timeshare and the local takeout restaurant. We have owned Marriott and Westin (both bought resale on ebay of course--THANK YOU TUG!) but they annoyed the hell out of us with their constantly rising maintenance fees and special assessments so we sold them at a profit. But I am getting off topic. I am happy to pay for an expensive dinner in a nice setting, but I also really appreciate a tasty inexpensive meal at a picnic table! And we always split everything just as you have described. I usually read all the reviews on Trip Advisor to help us pick what to try.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We're going to have to try Eskimo Candy next time we're on Maui. Not sure why we haven't yet.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We have enjoyed Eskimo Candy a few times. It's good and they have a good variety.

MarcyL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner
We're going to have to try Eskimo Candy next time we're on Maui. Not sure why we haven't yet.
They are just like McDonalds where you go up to the counter and order and they call you when it is ready. They are closed on the weekends and also close early the days they are open (4 or 5 pm?) but usually have fresh Ono. You can get it grilled if you are being "good" or fried if you are being decadent. Both are excellent! So no surprise to anyone who knows me, but I am EXTREMELY picky. I do not like their tartar sauce--they use too much lemon and not enough onion. So I make my own from scratch at the timeshare and bring it with us in a cooler. Yes I am nuts.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
They are just like McDonalds where you go up to the counter and order and they call you when it is ready. They are closed on the weekends and also close early the days they are open (4 or 5 pm?) but usually have fresh Ono. You can get it grilled if you are being "good" or fried if you are being decadent. Both are excellent! So no surprise to anyone who knows me, but I am EXTREMELY picky. I do not like their tartar sauce--they use too much lemon and not enough onion. So I make my own from scratch at the timeshare and bring it with us in a cooler. Yes I am nuts.
I checked their website. I just had to be sure they had food other than fish as my husband is not a huge fan some of the time. It will probably be a lunch place, or take it home for early dinner. :D

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Part of the problem is Rob (husband) lived in Alaska for 30 years and even worked as a commercial fisherman for awhile and I also lived in Alaska for 10 years (I am a retired OB/Gyn physician and was VERY spoiled by my wonderful patients bringing me fish (halibut was a fave) that had been swimming a few hours previous) so we are both extremely critical of fish.

Then I think omakase can still work for you. If you read the menu and see a bunch of things you like -- not just the main proteins but what they serve with it -- give it a whirl. At least you know what they have on hand to build a meal with.

We did this in Brittany once, and the chef made a scallop dish he used to eat as a child. The seared scallops were served with a sauce made from the scallop roe. He didn't have scallops on the menu -- so he sent a dishwasher to another restaurant to borrow some. "This was the first thing I learned to make. My mother taught it to me. This is the first time I've served it in a restaurant. I think now I shall put it on the menu."

I think the reason this works is that so many diners are so flippin' picky. "Substitute this. I'm 'allergic' to that. Can you make me an omelette without eggs? I'd need my pizza gluten-free. Why does this steakhouse have so few vegan dishes? I'm offended by foie gras!" Chefs deal with this all night long.

We come in and say, "Do whatever the hell you want, improvise, we'll be happy" and get treated like rock stars. The other thing I often do is ask to visit the kitchen. "Mind if I watch your Entremetier plate the snails?"

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Eskimo Candy is a place we will be trying in February. I am pretty excited about that recommendation. I looked at the menu and ready to go. Maybe I need to plan a trip sooner than February. Going a full year between Maui trips is entirely too long.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I think the reason this works is that so many diners are so flippin' picky. "Substitute this. I'm 'allergic' to that. Can you make me an omelette without eggs? I'd need my pizza gluten-free. Why does this steakhouse have so few vegan dishes? I'm offended by foie gras!" Chefs deal with this all night long.

While I agree with your point, I think it’s fair to mention that some of us have allergies that will send us to hospital if we ate the wrong item. A little consideration for those of us with real allergies would be nice now and then. Even so, I’ve had wonderful meals after speaking with the chef and given the restrictions let them serve what they think best, and those have been fantastic meals. So… even if you have some restrictions you can still have a great meal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ScoopKona

Reaction score
While I agree with your point, I think it’s fair to mention that some of us have allergies that will send us to hospital if we ate the wrong item. \

That's why I put "allergic" in quotes. One of my coworkers was deathly allergic to shellfish. I had to taste his shellfish dishes for him. Because if he did, he'd die. Actual allergies are serious.

No, I mean the "I'm allergic to onions. [Then, later.] Can I have more ketchup?"

"I can't give you any ketchup. Onions are the third ingredient in ketchup."

"I'm not allergic to those onions. Only every other kind of onions."

Or:

"I'm allergic to salt."

Or:

"I know you're famous for duck fat fried potatoes. But I'm allergic to duck!" [Why not just say, "I'm a vegan?" It's much easier.]

I've seen this many, many times. It used to be that only about 1 in 10 diners had "issues." (Again, "issues" in quotes.) Now it's more like one third. Same with "service" dogs. There are so many fakers that it's rare to see an actual service dog.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I told dh about Eskimo Candy last night. I told him I want to try that and Nalu's on our next trip. When I checked out Eskimo Candy's location I can see why we never stumbled across it.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
That's why I put "allergic" in quotes. One of my coworkers was deathly allergic to shellfish. I had to taste his shellfish dishes for him. Because if he did, he'd die. Actual allergies are serious.

I interpreted the quotes around allergic completely differently than you had intended.

MarcyL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner
I was sent to Eskimo Candy by a local and we have trouble finding it almost every year. We use the Maui Dive shop as a marker on the main drag to remind us where to turn, and then don't give up, it is at the very end of the street where no one in their right mind would put a restaurant! Ha! Don't be turned off by the weird and industrial location. And even if the line is out the door (usually locals and construction workers, and an occasional informed tourist such as us ;-)) they are pretty efficient. We had a great meal in Kahului at a locals spot--owners are Filipino and it is their food/recipes and fantastic service. Again zero atmosphere (I think it was actually in a hotel?) but it reminded me of a diner. And I APPRECIATED that they actually checked our COVID vaccine card which was allegedly a "requirement" then but no one else did. Let me try to figure out the name and I will post. I would also appreciate any suggestions for similar restaurants with great food and that don't require a second mortgage. Rob and I tend to eat breakfast in the condo (we always manage to get ocean front, and we sit on the lanai and drink coffee, HEAVEN) but then eat dinner and sometimes lunch in our favorite spots. We're usually sunburned and full of sand and saltwater from snorkeling, not to mention sweaty and wearing flipflops at best so most of those high end places would not let us in anyway. Although we do drive up to KIMOs usually once on every trip, we each order half a cow, and then eat steak and eggs for breakfast for days from the leftovers.

MarcyL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner
The Filipino restaurant which they are listing as "Polynesian" is Tante's Island Cuisine. And speaking of Kahului, I am guessing everyone knows about Saigon Cafe in Wailuku? I dream about their Vietnamese Crepes and clay pot chicken.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We seldom, if ever, eat in Wailuku or Kahalui. I have heard that Tin Roof in Kahalui is very good, but I haven't tried it.

I can't think offhand of any out of the way places that we've found. We did find a breakfast place in Kihei some years back that was off the main road and in an industrial area, but I can't remember the name of it. We don't eat breakfast out much, if we do it's at Fred's.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I interpreted the quotes around allergic completely differently than you had intended.

No worries.

In the restaurant world, there are allegies, which are serious business. And then there are "allergies." And the people who complain about their "allergies" aren't fooling anyone. We know the difference. They are bad actors. (In both definitions of the term "bad actors.") These people often hand us business cards which look like this:
Capture.PNG

Sure thing, Kyle, you're allergic to mayonnaise except Hellman's. And all ketchup except Heinz. And hot paprika, but not regular paprika. Got it.

This is unbelievably common. Hardly a night goes by that a busy kitchen doesn't get one of these.