• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mama's Fish House

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
No worries.

In the restaurant world, there are allegies, which are serious business. And then there are "allergies." And the people who complain about their "allergies" aren't fooling anyone. We know the difference. They are bad actors. (In both definitions of the term "bad actors.") These people often hand us business cards which look like this:
View attachment 60109

Sure thing, Kyle, you're allergic to mayonnaise except Hellman's. And all ketchup except Heinz. And hot paprika, but not regular paprika. Got it.

This is unbelievably common. Hardly a night goes by that a busy kitchen doesn't get one of these.

I'm surprised you'll want to cook commercially again on your farm. You know you'll be opening yourself up to all this again. :D

peas

TUG Member
Reaction score
We seldom, if ever, eat in Wailuku or Kahalui. I have heard that Tin Roof in Kahalui is very good, but I haven't tried it.

I can't think offhand of any out of the way places that we've found. We did find a breakfast place in Kihei some years back that was off the main road and in an industrial area, but I can't remember the name of it. We don't eat breakfast out much, if we do it's at Fred's.

We really like Tin Roof a lot. It's so close to the airport & Costco.

One of our favorite finds this last trip was a new place Macadangdang in Ka'anapali (owner of joey's kitchen).

I know not fully new, but new to us & very much enjoyed was Papa'aina in the Pioneer Inn in Lahaina.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I'm surprised you'll want to cook commercially again on your farm. You know you'll be opening yourself up to all this again. :D

There will be no substitutions. No special requests. And if anyone pulls out an allergy card like the one above, I will suggest they should leave. "It says you're allergic to garlic and there's a ton of it growing here. There's a garlic patch right over there. It's not safe for you. You should go."

Tree nuts? Got 'em by the ton. Avocados? Got 'em by the shipping container. Onions? They're all over the place -- I cut onions in such a way that makes chefs cry but gardeners sing. Then I get them rooting and plant them -- everywhere. Same with tomatoes. I'd rather have tomatoes as a cover crop than bitter melon. At least tomatoes pull acid from the soil.

Allergies? I've always taken those seriously. But "allergies?" They'll be encouraged to eat elsewhere, for their own safety of course.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark

This is my go-to at least once a trip. It has a great app to pre-order your take out. Chef Sheldon Simeon is formerly from Star Noodle (another favourite), and has an amazing cookbook too. I bought mine on Amazon but you can get a signed copy at Tin Roof. We make his dishes at home and they turn out great (Mochiko chicken any time I want now). And no, I do not have an Amazon link to make money off of... I just think he is quite special and the book is great.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
...They'll be encouraged to eat elsewhere, for their own safety of course.
When Privateers was still here ... you could order your steak rare or medium rare. If you wanted it coked more than that they would direct you so someplace that would sell you an expensive inferior overcooked steak....

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
When Privateers was still here ... you could order your steak rare or medium rare. If you wanted it coked more than that they would direct you so someplace that would sell you an expensive inferior overcooked steak....

I loved medium-well and well steak orders when I worked at a steakhouse. It allowed me to get rid of steaks that, while nothing was wrong with them, weren't as pretty as the others. (The ends of the primal section, typically). We kept these in an immersion circulator full of butter at 145f.

When a mid-well or well came in, we'd pull the steak from the butter. Hit it with salt, and blast it on the hottest section of the grill for a few seconds per side.

"How do you make your steaks so juicy??!?! Everyone else serves dry well-done steaks. But yours have flavor!"

Squeamish people who can't handle so much as a whiff of pink in their meat. We got rid of the dregs and charged them full price. Most other places use those cuts for tartare or similar.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's why I put "allergic" in quotes. One of my coworkers was deathly allergic to shellfish. I had to taste his shellfish dishes for him. Because if he did, he'd die. Actual allergies are serious.

No, I mean the "I'm allergic to onions. [Then, later.] Can I have more ketchup?"

"I can't give you any ketchup. Onions are the third ingredient in ketchup."

"I'm not allergic to those onions. Only every other kind of onions."

Or:

"I'm allergic to salt."

Or:

"I know you're famous for duck fat fried potatoes. But I'm allergic to duck!" [Why not just say, "I'm a vegan?" It's much easier.]

I've seen this many, many times. It used to be that only about 1 in 10 diners had "issues." (Again, "issues" in quotes.) Now it's more like one third. Same with "service" dogs. There are so many fakers that it's rare to see an actual service dog.

"This establishment reserves the right to refuse service for any reason, especially obnoxious jack-assery"

ETA: Service chihuahuas are a very important part of public health.

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I loved medium-well and well steak orders when I worked at a steakhouse. It allowed me to get rid of steaks that, while nothing was wrong with them, weren't as pretty as the others. (The ends of the primal section, typically). We kept these in an immersion circulator full of butter at 145f.

When a mid-well or well came in, we'd pull the steak from the butter. Hit it with salt, and blast it on the hottest section of the grill for a few seconds per side.

"How do you make your steaks so juicy??!?! Everyone else serves dry well-done steaks. But yours have flavor!"

Squeamish people who can't handle so much as a whiff of pink in their meat. We got rid of the dregs and charged them full price. Most other places use those cuts for tartare or similar.

I was raised on shoe leather. When I tried my first pink steak, I was absolutely amazed. I now sous vide at 136 and then sear, and it comes out perfect for me and fam. I'd go 133 if the wife would eat it that way. Any rarer is too much on the side of the living for my taste.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
One of our favorite finds this last trip was a new place Macadangdang in Ka'anapali (owner of joey's kitchen).
This is on my list to try later this month. I think this is the first time I've seen it mentioned on TUG, let me know if you have any 'must try' recommendations. Everything on the menu sounds good to me, and was surprised to see they even have a happy hour too.

peas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Macadangdang - We really liked the Sisig, the cauliflower, & the taro cocktail.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark

I know not fully new, but new to us & very much enjoyed was Papa'aina in the Pioneer Inn in Lahaina.

For those who like Tin Roof, Chef Sheldon Simeon has just taken over the restaurant Tiffany's in Wailuku. I found out about it too late in my trip (while picking up at Tin Roof), so did not get to try it. Someone report back please if they make it there.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark

I had tried to make it to Macadangdang in September, but couldn't -- had a big family trip with less adventurous tastes to consider.

I am making up for it now by going twice this week! I love that half the menu is quite different and exciting with the Philipino influence and the other half is focused on sushi and sake. They do everything well. Thanks @peas

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I was raised on shoe leather. When I tried my first pink steak, I was absolutely amazed. I now sous vide at 136 and then sear, and it comes out perfect for me and fam. I'd go 133 if the wife would eat it that way. Any rarer is too much on the side of the living for my taste.
I can relate to that. My dad used to make steak in the oven on the broiler setting and basically burnt the steak. Then he would take the drippings and pour over the french fries he baked in the oven from frozen. I would tell him to please burn me a hamburger patty instead. At least the hamburger wasn't tough. He did things how he liked it. He was a farm boy, too, so I don't get it because every farmer I know eats steak rare to medium rare.