• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Makuehena Estates

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is some activity this morning. There was some lumber dropped off on Friday that looked to be some 4x4s and 2x12s. Maybe putting up some signage on each lot?

The whole area was sold to a developer for $19M. The Inuits were asking $21M so they came down to get the property off their hands. The tax’s on the property are $90K a year. So with 10 lots that means if you bought a lot, the property taxes would be at least $9K a year and that is undeveloped!

The tract is also zoned as an area that allows vacation rentals.

I can’t imagine owning a house in this tract. Since we have been here (3/1) the winds have been pretty hefty and the point is being covered with salt spray. The maintenance bill on any structure is going to be pretty significant.

Attachments

• 1FA20EEB-15EA-4DA2-B168-14917F4129D6.jpeg
    1FA20EEB-15EA-4DA2-B168-14917F4129D6.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 39

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That locations has had such a weird history. Kind of harkens back to the "They did it because they could, and not because they should" mentality. I agree - not every buildable parcel of land in Hawaii should be developed.

Same sort of thing with Coco Palms. I've heard the latest is widening the road in front of it, and maybe making the place into some sort of park? Tricky location.

Dave

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is somewhat related. We are looking at a rental at Makahuena Resort right next door. Do you think it will be windy? I was liking it for the view but now that I'm reading this, I wonder if it will be problematic. Any other suggestions for Poipu rentals are welcome!

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I think that I may have seen the complex you are thinking about. Can't speak to the wind but I'd make sure it had ac. Some of those units get full sun all day and have to get hot.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
This is somewhat related. We are looking at a rental at Makahuena Resort right next door. Do you think it will be windy? I was liking it for the view but now that I'm reading this, I wonder if it will be problematic. Any other suggestions for Poipu rentals are welcome!
Our son rented a condo there last year and didn't complain about it being too windy. They had a 2nd floor unit over looking the Makahuena Development and the view was really nice. If you're sensitive to high humidity, I'd recommend AC anywhere in Kauai. You won't need it most of the time, but they do get stretches when it's humid with no wind, and it can be miserable.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Our son rented a condo there last year and didn't complain about it being too windy. They had a 2nd floor unit over looking the Makahuena Development and the view was really nice. If you're sensitive to high humidity, I'd recommend AC anywhere in Kauai. You won't need it most of the time, but they do get stretches when it's humid with no wind, and it can be miserable.

Thank you! This is our favorite Hawaii destination so we are used to the weather in general. (We usually stay at Point at Poipu.) I have seen the other condo complexes as we've walked to the beach. I just never considered if any would be more/less advantageous. :)

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you! This is our favorite Hawaii destination so we are used to the weather in general. (We usually stay at Point at Poipu.) I have seen the other condo complexes as we've walked to the beach. I just never considered if any would be more/less advantageous. :)
The pool certainly wasn't as nice as P@P, but the owners of the condo left all the condiments they'd need, plus some beach chairs, and racquets for the tennis court that's on the property.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We need the 3br unit or we'd be at P@P again.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting back to the subject of my post. The two person construction crew has left and what they were building was a viewing platform. They aren’t quite done, but I don’t think they will be here tomorrow. I plan to go over and inspect the “workmanship.”

I expect that this edifice will wind up a place for kids in the neighborhood.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I can’t imagine owning a house in this tract. Since we have been here (3/1) the winds have been pretty hefty and the point is being covered with salt spray. The maintenance bill on any structure is going to be pretty significant.
As we already know the maintenance bill is for the Point!!!

And thanks for the note.

Re winds and AC. If the winds are blowing you don't need AC. If the winds are not blowing, that usually means Kona weather, which is generally hot and muggy. When you will want AC.