• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Making the best of HICV

Kevin M

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Found TUG too late. In Feb staying at Orange Lake we bought into a low point thing quickly, paid cash (we had it). Not many points/yr, but it was a "special deal" I'm sure to get us in. Went to a resort over the summer, got a "good rate for points" on upgrading to 120k/yr.

So... not so great a deal having a timeshare. Want to die when I think of the mistake. But we've only had it a year. I did manage to get a 0 interest loan for 18 mos which we're using to pay off the balance. I think we can do that. Haven't even used it yet and want to get rid of it...

Bottom line I want to make the best of what we have with $974 MF. We haven't even been to another resort yet, we've still got our 120k. Any advice is welcome. They say they're booking into September next year, does that mean we don't have a chance of getting a week during summer 2020? Does the 120k carry over into the next year if we book next year by October for 2021? We also have IHG so I understand transferring points. Also RCI with it.

Reaction score
If you are on Facebook, you can join either HICV and/or Orange Lake pages. Members own HICV, and they can help with any questions. But, low points levels are somewhat restricted. If you go with the system, you could get low-demand weekends at any resort. Summer is high demand = more points, so you may only get Sunday-Thursday timeframes.

TS

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
Found TUG too late. In Feb staying at Orange Lake we bought into a low point thing quickly, paid cash (we had it). Not many points/yr, but it was a "special deal" I'm sure to get us in. Went to a resort over the summer, got a "good rate for points" on upgrading to 120k/yr.

So... not so great a deal having a timeshare. Want to die when I think of the mistake. But we've only had it a year. I did manage to get a 0 interest loan for 18 mos which we're using to pay off the balance. I think we can do that. Haven't even used it yet and want to get rid of it...

Bottom line I want to make the best of what we have with $974 MF. We haven't even been to another resort yet, we've still got our 120k. Any advice is welcome. They say they're booking into September next year, does that mean we don't have a chance of getting a week during summer 2020? Does the 120k carry over into the next year if we book next year by October for 2021? We also have IHG so I understand transferring points. Also RCI with it.

You can start booking resorts at 10 months out, thats why they said they are booking into September 2020. You may not be able to book the smaller more popular resorts but places like Orange Lake will still be available. Points given in 2019 are usable until Dec 31st 2020. You must use them by that date or pay to extend them into 2021.

this2isme

TUG Member
Reaction score
We actually just use the website and book a few days when we can make it into the Kissimmee area. We find the booking window very flexible, from as little as a few days to months out. We are not tied to the home property but able to book any property in the system. The website tool allows you to see the whole inventory and view what is open and available by date. Then there is MaxTime specials that are rooms only a few weeks out that they excess inventory.

In general the the booking window of 10 months is a non-issue. That is the soonest you can book. But you can defiantly book something less than 10 months at any of the resorts.
Try out the website.
Another feature to try is the "My travel dates are flexible". You will get resorts listed by dates available and amount of points for that time period.

Other than regretting the up-front money paid, we have learned to enjoy using our points.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
I am just reading your post. I am glad we finally have a HICV section on the forum!

You can do plenty with 120,000 HICV points. Here are some tips:

• Get familiar with points chart (under member resources when you log in). If you are flexible when traveling, you will get more nights on bronze and silver season.
  • If you need to book Platinum/Diamond seasons, book Sunday-Thursday as Friday-Saturday cost a lot more.
  • If you find a great reservation over 120k, you can borrow next years point. You pre-pay $4 per 1k, but it gets credited to next year's maintenance fees.
  • Use your HICV points on RCI. 15k and 12k units are always available, there is a exchange fee, but is well worth it. These are last minute deals, but will get you into nice properties.
  • Some resorts in RCI are point based, and you can also book Sunday-Thursday to get a better value as some Friday-Saturday, or Friday-Sunday cost more points. You also pay less exchange fee.
  • At 12 AM Central time, Open Access Reservations open. This is the best time to book 10 month out for high demand resorts or limited inventory resorts.
  • If you want a resort that is not available, login multiple times per day. Last week I booked a spring break unit for a last minute trip that I just planned. I checked for a week until I got what I wanted. Same happened last year with summer unit in Galveston.
  • With your HICV membership, you get a Gold Elite IHG membership. Make sure you sign up for this on ihg.com and make sure to have an email address attached to you account. During the year, you will receive some offers to purchase IHG Rewards points, and some offers offer 100% Bonus points, meaning, you buy 50k IHG points, you get 50k free for example... This great to complement with HICV. Last year we flew to Tampa, stayed a couple of weekend nights in Clearwater using IHG points, then drove to Orange Lake for 4 nights, and flew back home. Nights start at 15k IHG points, and every 3 month they select different hotels at special rates.
  • Get IHG credit card. If you can pay it every month without getting interest charge, do it. Some pay MFs with the card and call chase to process as hotel stay for extra bonus. There is a debate if HICV will change the way the code MFs, but I don't think they will do it.
  • You get 15 free guest reservations. If you want to recoup your MFs or want to make a little profit, try to book something for family, friends, or coworkers. You can also book a high demand week and try to sale it to recoup MFs.
  • Do not rent points from HICV, these cost $10 per 1k. Join HICV Owners facebook page and rent from a current owner that may need help with their MFs. Rented points go for $7-$8. Make sure you rent from someone reputable to avoid any issues.
  • If you find you really love HICV and want to add more points. Do not buy from the developer. Lake Geneva, South Beach, and Gatlinburg deeds transfer as points via resale purchase, saving you a bunch. (buy only Platinum or Diamond unless Lake Geneva that is UDI and everyone pays the same MFs)
  • If you find you want to become an Elite member (300k points or more), you may want to purchase a Diamond Season resale week (sometimes are given free of charge) and negotiate to convert that fixed week into the club and have to buy less points. This is somewhat risky, so get familiar with timeshares overall.
  • The best value for your HICV is to use them in the club. Do not use for cruises, rentals, or whatever they offer. Some member do convert to IHG points, and it is not as bad.
  • Become a TUG paid member and get access to sighthings. Here you will find great deals or great opportunities to exchange in RCI.
I hope these tips help you a little. Many people feel the same way when they find out what their timeshare/membership is really worth, however, HICV has a great product with lots of flexibility when compared to other clubs. You are now in the boat, and you have to make the best out of it. Like I said, if you find you really like the club, you can eventually get even when you start adding resale points at a fraction of the developer cost.

Tony

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
  • Do not rent points from HICV, these cost $10 per 1k. Join HICV Owners facebook page and rent from a current owner that may need help with their MFs. Rented points go for $7-$8. Make sure you rent from someone reputable to avoid any issues.

Can IHG points be transferred between accounts? If so, how do you do it? This seems like it would be especially useful for situation where you are just a few points short of a large reservation.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Can IHG points be transferred between accounts? If so, how do you do it? This seems like it would be especially useful for situation where you are just a few points short of a large reservation.
No, unfortunately the other owner would have to make a new reservation using their own points. Worldmark does have this option.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, unfortunately the other owner would have to make a new reservation using their own points. Worldmark does have this option.

Gotcha. I've done it with WM and it's super handy. Was hoping I had missed something on HIVC.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Gotcha. I've done it with WM and it's super handy. Was hoping I had missed something on HIVC.
I wonder how we as owner can make this request for HICV. This would make it a little more secured.

By the way, if you were to rent from an Elite member, you could probably get discounted reservation. Also some grandfathered elite member can rent points from HICV at $5/1k instead of $10/1k, so renting from them could even be a better deal.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
I wonder how we as owner can make this request for HICV. This would make it a little more secured.

By the way, if you were to rent from an Elite member, you could probably get discounted reservation. Also some grandfathered elite member can rent points from HICV at $5/1k instead of $10/1k, so renting from them could even be a better deal.
Very nice summary...The only thing that I would change is that to be at the Elite level its a Million points. They do have lower levels starting at 150,000 points now but Elite is 1,000,000

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Very nice summary...The only thing that I would change is that to be at the Elite level its a Million points. They do have lower levels starting at 150,000 points now but Elite is 1,000,000
Thanks! You are right, I am no sure what they used to call their old membership tiers. Now they list it in the guide as "Tiered Platinum Membership" with different levels. Thanks for the clarification!

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 11.22.14 AM.png

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
Thanks! You are right, I am no sure what they used to call their old membership tiers. Now they list it in the guide as "Tiered Platinum Membership" with different levels. Thanks for the clarification!

View attachment 16230
Same names but without the platinum after it. Also Prime and Diamond are new to the "platinum" levels

Kevin M

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Another question - I have 120k pts in my account that will expire end of year. Where's the best place to stash those? We have a free rental elsewhere this year so we won't be using them necessarily.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Another question - I have 120k pts in my account that will expire end of year. Where's the best place to stash those? We have a free rental elsewhere this year so we won't be using them necessarily.
I am assuming those 120k points were issued in 2019. If so, you can try exchanging into RCI for 2021 booking. Currently there are 102 Gold Crown Resorts in the USA available after January 1 2021. 20 Gold Crown in Mexico (make sure you select non-inclusive). You can wait for bulk deposits and get higher end properties. You can also request an RCI ongoing search for a specific area or resort.

Here are a few examples of what is currently available.

GC-ColorLgIcon.png
The Royal Islander (#D052)
2 Bedrooms
Sat 08-May-2021 to Sat 15-May-2021
Max Occup(Privacy)
: 6 (4)
Kitchen
: Full
rciWeeks.png

Holiday Inn Club Points 91000

GC-ColorLgIcon.png
The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta (#7491)
2 Bedrooms
Sun 16-May-2021 to Sun 23-May-2021
Max Occup(Privacy)
: 8 (6)
Kitchen
: Partial
rciWeeks.png

Holiday Inn Club Points 90000

GC-ColorLgIcon.png
Sheraton Desert Oasis (#5247)
1 Bedroom
Sat 20-Mar-2021 to Sat 27-Mar-2021 (Baseball Spring Training)
Max Occup(Privacy)
: 4 (4)
Kitchen
rciWeeks.png

Holiday Inn Club Points 101000

GC-ColorLgIcon.png
Wyndham Flagstaff (#0759)
1 Bedroom
Sat 04-Sep-2021 to Sat 11-Sep-2021
Max Occup(Privacy)
: 4 (2)
Kitchen
rciWeeks.png

Holiday Inn Club Points 67

You can also call HICV to transfer to IHG 5:4 ratio, but not sure about that if they are 2019 points "Remember, Holiday Inn Club Points (excluding Future Year or Bonus Club Points) must be exchanged by October 1 of each year".

Kevin M

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Does RCI hold points somehow or do I need to actually book something to transfer them? If not I can just transfer to IHG by Oct.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
Does RCI hold points somehow or do I need to actually book something to transfer them? If not I can just transfer to IHG by Oct.
2019 points needed to be transferred to ihg by October 2019. They can be used in hicv until dec 31 2020 but cant be transferred to ihg in 2020. Also rci does not hold points, when your ready to book they take your points from hicv.

Kevin M

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Thanks. So I can book 2021 RCI? That far in advance?

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Thanks. So I can book 2021 RCI? That far in advance?
Yes, even 2022. Inventory changes daily, so use RCI for a couple of weeks to get an idea of the system and what you can get.

Kevin M

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
1579028564091.png

Once I book an RCI for 2022 or whatever, can I change that date? based on availability of course. What happens if plans change?

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
View attachment 16279
Once I book an RCI for 2022 or whatever, can I change that date? based on availability of course. What happens if plans change?
No problem! Any questions you ask will be here for other to review in the future!

Here is the RCI wording:
"To change a vacation that is confirmed, it will be subject to the cancel policy communicated to you during the confirmation process, if any changes are made. The cancellation policy is presented in the confirmation process and can be reviewed in the “Book with Confidence” section of the Transactional Summary located on the bottom right side of the page, or in step 2 of the confirmation process by clicking on “View Grace Period and Cancellation Policy”.

Upon booking a vacation, you have until close of business next day to change or cancel a vacation without penalty unless the travel dates being confirmed are less than three days away. After that, the exchange fee is non-refundable. Your RCI Points may be lost up to 75%, depending on when cancellation occurs."

I have never had to cancel an RCI reservation. Last year I called to exchange (you have to call when you need to borrow points from next year) and I asked about point protection, but this is not available for HICV's RCI points account. Here is a break down:

When canceling a Points reservation, you can use the following RCI Points Adjustment Schedule to figure out how many points you will receive back:
120 days or greater to the check-in date…...keep 100%
119 to 61 days to the check-in date………......lose 25%
60 to 30 days to the check-in date ……….....…lose 50%
29 days or less to the check-in date ……....….lose 75%

For any HICV fixed week owners that have an RCI weeks account, you can purchase Trading Power Protection and it costs $64 USD.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
No problem! Any questions you ask will be here for other to review in the future!

Here is the RCI wording:

I have never had to cancel an RCI reservation. Last year I called to exchange (you have to call when you need to borrow points from next year) and I asked about point protection, but this is not available for HICV's RCI points account. Here is a break down:

For any HICV fixed week owners that have an RCI weeks account, you can purchase Trading Power Protection and it costs $64 USD.
How does RCI reservations work? Are they point for point?

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara

There are RCI week units and RCI points units. We as HICV members can book both using our HICV points. You can make a reservation by clicking the RCI link on HICV website if you own points, this method does not work for fixed week owners. Once inside our RCI website you can search for availability and point information on units. Once you find a unit that you like, there will be a HICV point cost. That is our total cost plus a $239 RCI exchange fee. If you need to borrow points from next year, you can still search, and once you find a unit you would like, just call RCI to make the reservation for you. In a couple of days you will see your transaction inside HICV'S website.
All Resorts have different point costs. Be careful when searching in Mexico as there are all inclusive fees added in some units. Also read description before booking. Sometimes there are fees for reservations that are less than 7 days, 1 in 4 rule, parking fees, etc.

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
HICV used in RCI is based on the RCI points system. When you go through the HICV portal to RCI they translate rci points into HICV but it is really 1 for 2. So if a DVC unit (or any other resort) were 78,000 rci points in a non HICV rci account, it would show as costing 156,000 HICV points.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
HICV used in RCI is based on the RCI points system. When you go through the HICV portal to RCI they translate rci points into HICV but it is really 1 for 2. So if a DVC unit (or any other resort) were 78,000 rci points in a non HICV rci account, it would show as costing 156,000 HICV points.
I’m trying to get as much info as i can on all systems as you can see haha. RCI is a whole different beast. No wonder why DVC went there exclusively. They can probably control a lot more than they could have with interval