• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

making some user group changes - please let me know if something gets weird!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
can i get a hint on what said username might be to look into it further?
I was able to send him a PM finally. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but that never happened to me before. I would bet it was user error (me, all me).

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach
Please help me understand why a guest would be allowed to make so many posts. Is there a benefit to allowing guests to stay on so long? After a maximum number of posts, should they not be forced into a paid membership mode? Do guests have access to all posts?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the forums have always been and always will be a place for owners to come and get help and advice for free.

while we would certainly hope folks would find value and support the site with a membership, it wont ever be a requirement to join/participate on the forums!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Please help me understand why a guest would be allowed to make so many posts. Is there a benefit to allowing guests to stay on so long? After a maximum number of posts, should they not be forced into a paid membership mode? Do guests have access to all posts?
Another fact is, many people who show as "TUG Member" are in fact no longer members. Many that don't renew their membership still retain the "TUG Member" moniker. Of course, someone who has paid for a membership in the past and just not renewed is not likely a scammer

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach
the forums have always been and always will be a place for owners to come and get help and advice for free.

while we would certainly hope folks would find value and support the site with a membership, it wont ever be a requirement to join/participate on the forums!
Thanks. Got it. Your first statement explains it very clearly. I was not looking at it as a site for owners to get free advice.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Looking at the different banners, it seems that "TUG Member" is the least interesting.
1662233141755.png

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Looking at the different banners, it seems that "TUG Member" is the least interesting.
View attachment 64083
im fine with changing the color of any of them, what would you prefer the tug member box color to be?

would prefer the red newbie color to stay, the goal was to make that stand out in a post/etc especially for rentals.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
im fine with changing the color of any of them, what would you prefer the tug member box color to be?

would prefer the red newbie color to stay, the goal was to make that stand out in a post/etc especially for rentals.
I think the old Guest had no color. I actually think the color for guest would look better on TUG Member. You know, you sign up and get "gold status".

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
haha, i thought it was brown vs gold...

boxes can quite literally be any color in the CSS color chart!

these are the defaults

1662243482188.png

administrator/moderator/lifetime member take up 3 of them that id not want to duplicate...

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Well, that's pretty obvious. This is a timeshare forum. So Platinum, of course, since Red is already taken. I find it amusing that Newbies got Red. ;)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
haha, i thought it was brown vs gold...

boxes can quite literally be any color in the CSS color chart!

these are the defaults

View attachment 64088

administrator/moderator/lifetime member take up 3 of them that id not want to duplicate...
I would agree with the plantim, or perhaps the one that looks orange/gold (last one on the right). Guest could go back to what they were before, first on the list (no color).

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
platinum looks alot like silver!

maybe we should start a poll!

Armada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Old Town Alexandria
La Belle Maison
How is this going to affect first time visitors who just bought a timeshare and are looking for advice?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
wont impact them at all, it only limits the ability to send private messages until at least 3 posts are made.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUGBrian, does it costs money to run a website 24/7. True of False.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
very little is free these days. so yes it costs money to host the site.

im not looking for ways to force folks to pay for a TUG membership just to get help on the forums though. that goes against everything I feel my father and the other original tuggers were trying to do on the original BBS etc.

if someone finds value in the site, we hope they would support the site in one way or another (even if its just clicking the ads shown to guests)...however owners will always have a place to give and get help for free here as long as im around!

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just asking for a friend... Are you still a "newbie" if you are showing as a member for @ 5yrs but only have 1 post?
What are the points associated with your membership here?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
anyone who is a TUG member will not be impacted by these changes regardless of post count.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Just asking for a friend... Are you still a "newbie" if you are showing as a member for @ 5yrs but only have 1 post?
What are the points associated with your membership here?
I think this really should have been a new thread. As I understand it, even if you are a paid TUG member who has entered the Codeword, you will show as a newbie even if you have 1 post. You won't get out of newbie status until you meet the post threshold. Once met, you should then show as TUG Member.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the newbie/guest title only applies to folks NOT in the TUG member usergroup. so if the member code word is in their profile a user would be promoted to the TUG member usergroup and not be impacted by this change.

its certainly possible there would be a delay if someone input the member code word into their profile before the script ran etc to promote them, but it should only be temporary.