• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Make your dinner reservations now!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We'll be in Maui and Kauai in August, and dinner reservations are tough to get. Mama's Fish House is booked full for the next 5 months. Duke's Kauai is booked solid for dinner, but we did manage to get a lunch reservation. Fortunately, I booked Merriman's Kauai awhile ago since we wanted to go there for our 50th +1 anniversary.

Breezy52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark Platinum Owner
Yikes! First I have to pay chokeable prices for a car now i have to plan dinner in advance, this is getting hard to swallow, so to speak :)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That's a tough one to chew on. (See what I did there? ;))

Great news for the restaurants, but tough for tourists. Unless they're still booking with social-distancing limitations?

Dave

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Yikes! First I have to pay chokeable prices for a car now i have to plan dinner in advance, this is getting hard to swallow, so to speak :)

Just another reason we’ve put a trip to Hawaii on the back burner indefinitely. Rental car issues, changing travel restrictions, crowds from pent up demand and Hawaiians wanting tourism restricted to avoid over crowding are all issues we feel makes it a risky travel investment, at least until things settle back into a more normal rhythm.

Mama’s and a few of the luaus were always a difficult reservation. I tried to book Mama’s Fish House three months out once and the best I could do was a very early dinner or very late lunch. Duke’s on the other hand, was always a walk up for us, but I can’t say we ever hit them up at a traditional dinner time

For us, it’s one of the most expensive trips we’ll take. Airfare, rental car, expensive meals, expensive reservations from a points required view. It needs to be closer to rock solid vs shifting sands.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just another reason we’ve put a trip to Hawaii on the back burner indefinitely. Rental car issues, changing travel restrictions, crowds from pent up demand and Hawaiians wanting tourism restricted to avoid over crowding are all issues we feel makes it a risky travel investment, at least until things settle back into a more normal rhythm.

Mama’s and a few of the luaus were always a difficult reservation. I tried to book Mama’s Fish House three months out once and the best I could do was a very early dinner or very late lunch. Duke’s on the other hand, was always a walk up for us, but I can’t say we ever hit them up at a traditional dinner time

For us, it’s one of the most expensive trips we’ll take. Airfare, rental car, expensive meals, expensive reservations from a points required view. It needs to be closer to rock solid vs shifting sands.
I agree with you, but we like Hawaii too much. We postponed the trip twice, first from February to April, then from April to August. So far, the only money we've lost by changing reservations is a small payment for upgrading the view category of our timeshare reservation. We booked rental cars early so we were able to get reasonable rates. We were able to book sunset sails on Maui and Kauai by booking early. Hawaii just ended COVID testing for anyone with proof of vaccination. We'll have to see how much things have changed once we get there.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We managed to grab a lunch at Mama's for a few weeks from now, and are happy about it. We have a couple other "big" meals reserved for the three week trip, but we are also often food truck/carryout-to-a-nearby-picnic-table people when we are in Hawaii. The lines will be longer, but we'll still eat.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Star Noodle was the only reservation that we really cared about getting on our most recent trip (over July 4th week), though we did get a few others. Our favorite meals were still from smaller places and takeout, though, as is usually the case.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I vaguely recall that it's largely the same menu with a few of the higher-end things missing, but this is also a Sunday, so they might have a brunch menu. Either way, it will be good.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Does Mama's have a lunch menu?
They don't show a lunch menu online, just a dinner one. A restaurant we like in our area has gone to only serving their dinner menu, which makes lunch very expensive.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They don't show a lunch menu online, just a dinner one. A restaurant we like in our area has gone to only serving their dinner menu, which makes lunch very expensive.
It was 5+ years ago that we did lunch at Mama's. It went on record as our most expensive lunch, ever, anywhere. (Prior to that, our top of list was a high end Birthday lunch in NYC. )

Just go knowing there are no bargains at Mama's.
And yes, it was worth it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We are still going in February-March. We can ask our friends to pick us up from the airport. We won't be going out for meals much. I did reserve a car for $2,300 for about six weeks. That is a bargain compared to what I am currently seeing, but I am likely going to cancel it.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
There were people at the pool at the WKORV at dusk and I overheard them complaining about having to make dinner reservations months in advance. So they decided to stay in the pool and drink instead...good to have a timeshare with a kitchen.

Had reservations for sunset dinner at Dukes which we made 3 months prior. Also ate at the upcountry restaurant below. Made a reservation for lunch a few days prior. Best meal on the island (and that's a tall order considering we ate at Dukes!) The fish lemongrass curry was excellent.

Hali‘imaile General Store
900 Hāli‘imaile Rd., Hāli‘imaile, 572-2666. Chef Bev Gannon dishes up fresh fish, local meats, and regional produce drenched in complex sauces. The towering sashimi appetizer is legendary, as is Bev’s crab dip. Hawai‘i Regional. L, D. $$$$

Maui was crowded. Big Island not so bad. Our SUV rental cars on both islands were about $450/week - not bad for July 4 week.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We love Hali'imaile General Store. We go for lunch at least once during our annual stay. My daughter's favorite is their ribs. We also like Gannon's in Wailea for both lunch and dinner.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Good to know there is an option in Wailea. Is the food the same?

Also, if you go upcountry for lunch there is a glass blowing shop across the road where you can watch the artisans blowing glass.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Good to know there is an option in Wailea. Is the food the same?

Also, if you go upcountry for lunch there is a glass blowing shop across the road where you can watch the artisans blowing glass.
No, Gannon's has a different menu. You can check them both out online. Gannon's sits on a golf course and has a gorgeous view.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does Mama's have a lunch menu?
They do book reservations for lunch, but I don't kn
We also like Gannon's in Wailea for both lunch and dinner.
We're booked there for dinner next month. I've been meaning to try it for a long time. We enjoyed our dinner at the General Store several years ago.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
They do book reservations for lunch, but I don't kn

We're booked there for dinner next month. I've been meaning to try it for a long time. We enjoyed our dinner at the General Store several years ago.
We have celebrated several anniversaries at Gannon's. We always get a table near the edge so we can enjoy the view. They also have, or used to have, a great Happy Hour, but you couldn't make reservations for that and it could get quite busy.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have celebrated several anniversaries at Gannon's. We always get a table near the edge so we can enjoy the view. They also have, or used to have, a great Happy Hour, but you couldn't make reservations for that and it could get quite busy.
Is the food that good? The menu looks pretty limited.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Is the food that good? The menu looks pretty limited.
Yes, the food is that good and the atmosphere and view are wonderful. Free parking, unlike Mama's. I didn't look at the menu, but I imagine it has been scaled back from what they used to serve. It looks like they just reopened in late May of this year so it might take them a while to ramp back up.

I just looked at their menu. Limited? 6 appetizers, 3 salads, and 8 different entrees. How much more variety are you looking for?

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, the food is that good and the atmosphere and view are wonderful. Free parking, unlike Mama's. I didn't look at the menu, but I imagine it has been scaled back from what they used to serve. It looks like they just reopened in late May of this year so it might take them a while to ramp back up.
Good to know, thanks. :thumbup: My wife and I were married on Po'olenalena Beach right in front of them, so perhaps this would be a good idea for our next trip.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Good to know, thanks. :thumbup: My wife and I were married on Po'olenalena Beach right in front of them, so perhaps this would be a good idea for our next trip.
I updated my post after you must have posted this. Just to repeat: I just looked at their menu. Limited? 6 appetizers, 3 salads, and 8 different entrees. How much more variety are you looking for?

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Meant the entrees, really (salads don't count for anything, anywhere in my book). Three fish entrees, and five land entrees that are mostly red meat. My wife would have a hard time picking something as she generally doesn't like red meat, and prefers pork or chicken. Just my opinion.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Meant the entrees, really (salads don't count for anything, anywhere in my book). Three fish entrees, and five land entrees that are mostly red meat. My wife would have a hard time picking something as she generally doesn't like red meat, and prefers pork or chicken. Just my opinion.
There is a pork entree, but it's ribs so if you don't care for ribs it might be considered a limited menu. I usually go with the fish any time I can when we're on Maui.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

What is wrong with a nice piece of fish?