• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Major online search concern

merc

Reaction score
Madge, I am wondering and fairly concerned about what happens to someone's ongoing search when RCI makes an online offer of a different resort, that is to say not one asked for in the search.

Specifically what happens is that I have a far-in-advance request in for some specific places, but every once in awhile I find that there is a unit (from the same geographic area as defined by RCI) on hold, waiting for my rejection or confirmation. (To be clear these are not the resorts I am asking for in my search.) This has happened 3 times in the last two months. I have never been asked nor asked to have these alternatives provided online. They have been of lesser quality and the geographic area in question is huge so these alternatives aren't really near where we want to go.

I don't get an email saying this is happening and it can be a few days between checking. So when my account is in this state and if a unit from the resort(s) I do want is deposited by an owner, does that mean I am out of the running for it because there is this offer of another place being made to me? Is my search then stopped until I reject it?

I certainly don't know why I don't get an email or a phone call saying there is an alternative place for me to look at when this happens. Does RCI assume we "live" online?

If my search is indeed frozen while this is going on, that would be a bad thing.
Hope you, or anyone else, can illuminate.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
merc,

When a unit has matched to your ongoing search, the search is on hold until the unit is either confirmed or released. If an area entered in your search includes resorts that do not interest you, I recommend removing the area and entering specific resort ID numbers instead.

You may be pleased to know that we are beginning testing on a program of sending e-mail notices to members who have matches to their ongoing searches. This will not prevent them from also receiving telephone calls, but it provides another channel of communication. I cannot say at this point whether the program will be continued or expanded. That will depend upon the results of the test.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Madge said:
You may be pleased to know that we are beginning testing on a program of sending e-mail notices to members who have matches to their ongoing searches.

That's the best news I've heard in a long time

merc

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, but I did set up this request by resort ID numbers. The tendency to view it regionally has been done somehow by RCI and I can't successfully change it. I tried just now modifying the search but it insists I enter a region and won't just accept id numbers on their own. Am I missing something?

merc

Reaction score
Madge, I tried again today and was this time able to modify and engage the search without a region specified, just resort ids, but the page was acting strangely in that the normal arrow or pointing hand had been replaced by a word processor vertical line blinking cursor. It took awhile to figure out that this cursor would activate the reset function on the region date and place section.
Seems ok now. Thanks. I look forward to getting the automatic email that my request is filled!

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
merc,

I haven't heard a report quite like yours! The many wrinkles we've been ironing out of our site should be fairly smooth now -- let me know if the cursor anomaly continues.