• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Major Changes In Marriott Rewards

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Uh, I think that's a slight exaggeration . . . .

The ones that come to mind immediately are some of the Hawaii Marriotts and the Aruba Marriotts. I think they were selling in that range from Marriott a year ago, and resale some of them are going for $10k or less.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
The ones that come to mind immediately are some of the Hawaii Marriotts and the Aruba Marriotts. I think they were selling in that range from Marriott a year ago, and resale some of them are going for $10k or less.

I know for the Aruba Marriotts at least, there were 2 recent Gold weeks that sold in the 9-10K area on Ebay from the same questionable seller that are currently selling I think somewhere in the high twenties from Marriott. These were great deals, btw, and I can tell you with some certainty a bit of an aberration, since I at least could not find any sellers willing to let theirs go for that price point. From what I've seen most of the Hawaii great buys were the lower priced garden/island view weeks and at similar discounts.

Although I am certainly not disagreeing with your point as to the real cost of those "free" points, I think saving $50k on the resale market is a bit of an hyperbole, even in this market.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
"When you pay $60,000 for a room that normally sells on the resale market for $10,000, and the only difference in price is that you get the right to trade for points for the additional $50,000, I would hardly call that "free.""

Uh, I think that's a slight exaggeration but even if you are right, it doesn't cost anything to join the rewards program. And, don't most pro-resale owners state that you don't have to buy from Marriott to get points? If so, the program is free perk/benefit for you. Using your numbers, it doesn't have to cost $50,000 to get the benefits.

Heidi, I believe Hoc's point was to point out the fact that many people paid tens of thousands more for a timeshare by buying directly from Marriott, and did so for a single privilege, the privilege able to convert to Marriott Rewards points. The main reasons many of those people bought in on the program was because of the book showing the "dream vacations" that could be had using the rewards points. Now a Marriott has drastically reduced those peoples abilities to take that dream vacation.

I too bought a timeshare directly from Marriott for the purpose of being able to trade it for points. Luckily I bought a very inexpensive unit. Many others, however, have literally paid tens of thousands (maybe 50K) extra for that perk and do not feel that it was a "free" perk offered at the time, despite the wording of the fine print.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong (I only own at 2 resorts) but up to just 6 months ago, the price differential was not more than $15,000. It really wasn't very difficult to justify the price difference if Marriott gave you enough points.

Now, the market has dropped signifcantly - though I don't believe the price differential is in the $50,000 range. I would estimate the price differential for my 2 resorts are in the $20,000 or less range. At this point, i'm not sure there could be an adequate number of points to justify the price difference, therefore, units are not selling at the same rate as in the past.

I believe that Marriott will probably institute some type of program to jump start their sales program, maybe another type of benefit if you buy from the developer. They have to do something because people have to be able to justify the price difference. Unlike some sentiment on this board, people are not fools.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
....Unlike some sentiment on this board, people are not fools.

Agree.... But lots of people are uninformed -- and totally green when it comes to TS owning -- going into these TS sales pitches.

Since learning lots on TUG, I've found several friends that recently bought weeks that had no clue what it was all about. And in these cases, some alcohol was involved to cloud things up... Not smart on their part, but they were just having a good time on vacation. :doh:

pharmgirl

Reaction score
Lots of availability for Hawaii TS (mostly lock offs) for points, have not seen this before
We are using points to rent one br's before and after our weeks

Jeffrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... and did so for a single privilege, the privilege able to convert to Marriott Rewards points. The main reasons many of those people bought in on the program was because of the book showing the "dream vacations" that could be had using the rewards points. Now a Marriott has drastically reduced those peoples abilities to take that dream vacation.

My dream is shattered ....:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Last edited:

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't be too upset Jeffery. There are many examples of people taking dream vacations over and over again. Just because it may cost more points in the future, people will still be able to purchase wonderful vacations with points that they couldn't have otherwise. I think sometimes people put down the value or predict gloom for points programs, especially now, for many reasons that you can figure out yourself.

If you need any validation that the points program is still valuable and worthwhile, look on FlyerTalk and see the many people who willingly and seriously collect points, my family included.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Old quotes from this thread

10/23/08

I have a question about Marriott's 2009 Policy Changes.

Marriott is touting the "No blackout dates" as a major selling point. But does "No blackout dates" mean you can always use points in lieu of cash if any room is available to be reserved? Or, are the number of rooms available to be used with points still limited to a small percentage?

This may be a play on words and only mean that certain dates that used to be blacked out are now available, but the number of rooms available for points use may be highly restricted.

Terry

Generally, you should be able to use points if a room is available. But for some special events (e.g., NASCAR, Super Bowl, major conventions, peak weeks, etc.) there will be limitations:

The answer is at least 10% of the rooms will be available.
This is a far cry from what we were expecting only three months ago.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I just haven't been getting enough sleep, but I haven't been able to figure out what I should do. I have no set travel plans for this year. I am still waiting for II to come through with a match for this summer for Victoria or Banff. I have a Hawaii week in April, still need to get airfare for, and that's it. I have a lot of points, two trips worth in old (till Jan. 15th) points system, should I redeem before Jan. 15th and connect reservation to later, should I just cash in for air miles with a couple of airlines? What would you do?
We just took a big trip with points to Japan last summer and flew business class. I had thought about using points for a cruise until I saw what a bad deal that is now. I just sent a son on a mission for 2 years, and thought I would plan another big trip when he comes home. I just didn't see this coming. Luckily, I stopped using my Marriott Visa last May, and got an AE blue cash. With the changes, I think we'll either use or trade or Marriott week and not trade for points anymore. With the bonus week we get, it's a better deal.
I don't see anything about just air mileage rewards? Does anyone what these will be increasing to?

Last edited: