• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maintenance fees and HHonors Card from AMEX

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Hilton Grand Vacation Club Maintenance fees count as "eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a participating hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio" and thus for a 7X bonus with the no annual fee Hilton HHonors Card from American Express?

Thanks in advance...I couldn't find the answer in a FAQ or thread.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Hilton Grand Vacation Club Maintenance fees count as "eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a participating hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio" and thus for a 7X bonus with the no annual fee Hilton HHonors Card from American Express?

Thanks in advance...I couldn't find the answer in a FAQ or thread.

It was treated as a hilton expense when I used my AMEX surpass..

At 12 points/dollar I feel like I am almost getting a 5-6% discount on my MF (given value of those points).... That more or less covers the cost of the annual fee on the card. All my other spending in the high rewards catagories (hilton and grocery) becomes extra gravy to subsidize non TS vacations.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I have the HHonors Amex Surpass card which gets 9 bonus points for Hilton brand purchases, and I received a total of 12 HHonors points per dollar when I charge my MFs to the card (9 bonus plus 3 regular).

I would imagine you would get the bonus for the no-fee card as well.

My statement cutoff date is the 8th of the month, so I usually pay my MFs around Jan 10th (you get a 30-day grace period from Dec 31) so it gets on the Feb Amex statement. Then I don't actually pay the bill until around March 1st!

Kurt

Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the HHonors Amex Surpass card which gets 9 bonus points for Hilton brand purchases, and I received a total of 12 HHonors points per dollar when I charge my MFs to the card (9 bonus plus 3 regular).

My statement cutoff date is the 8th of the month, so I usually pay my MFs around Jan 10th (you get a 30-day grace period from Dec 31) so it gets on the Feb Amex statement. Then I don't actually pay the bill until around March 1st!

Kurt

The other big plus is that if you wait until next year to pay it, you get some extra spend towards Diamond status (nice perk to have when staying at hotels).

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It was treated as a hilton expense when I used my AMEX surpass...At 12 points/dollar I feel like I am almost getting a 5-6% discount on my MF....
Thank you (actually all of you) for your quick response. I just upgraded to the surpass card as the extra HHonors points on my MFs pretty much covers the annual fee. Everything else (e.g. the gold status and the extra points on my 'normal' Hilton stays) is just gravy.

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For the Citi HHonors card (so I'd assume it's the same for Amex) - Yes, paying your MF's will count as a "Hilton purchase". So do your reservation fees, guest certificate fees, ect. We bought direct from HGVC a few years back and still have a few $'s on the loan. So we pay our loan with our Hilton card and they count those as a "Hilton purchase" as well so we get all the extra points.

Last edited:

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't worry about "good locations". If I want to stay at an Embassy Suites and can pay 30,000 points instead of $219 that's fine with me. Maybe I'm a peasant since I'm not staying at 80,000 point properties; most, if not all, of my stays are in the 30K or 40K categories which generally have rates in the $175 - $225 range per night. And I'll take 10x points for paying for things I had to pay for anyway.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
In my experience, everything you pay with your Hilton Amex counts as a "hotel" charge. Reservation fees, MF, even buying unit from the developer will count... Not that i recommending a direct purchase just to get the points.. But if you were otherwise going to buy retail, try to pay with the Surpass Amex to get the points...

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just found this. Sounds like HHonors points are one of the worst as far as their cash value.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/11/november-2015-monthly-valuations/

half a penny a point.

So for every $1 you spend on MF you get 12 points (valued at around 6 cents by the points guy or 6% off your MF.

On groceries you get 6 points per dollar (~3% in value)

Just because the value of points is low, does mean that you can't earn a decent return on them. I can't find another source that will give me 6% on my HGVC expenses, but if you have one, I am willing to try.

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
half a penny a point.

So for every $1 you spend on MF you get 12 points (valued at around 6 cents by the points guy or 6% off your MF.

On groceries you get 6 points per dollar (~3% in value)

Just because the value of points is low, does mean that you can't earn a decent return on them. I can't find another source that will give me 6% on my HGVC expenses, but if you have one, I am willing to try.

You're absolutely right. And getting 10x points to pay my MF's is great since I have to pay them anyway. If HGVC ever offers the option for lower MF's if you pay cash I may have to reconsider. But for now I'll take the 10x return and enjoy a free night here and there. You also get an annual free night at any level hotel just for having the card. So that's the time to stay at a level 10 hotel in Figi.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just took a look at my Feb Amex bill -- I received a little over 30K HHonors points for paying my MFs w/ Amex. I'll take a free night anytime!

I'm w/ JSparling -- most of our hotel stays are 30-40K. They tend to be Homewood Suites or Embassy Suites. Is there another CC out there that will get you a free night's lodging for a $2,500 spend?

Kurt

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just took a look at my Feb Amex bill -- I received a little over 30K HHonors points for paying my MFs w/ Amex. I'll take a free night anytime!

I'm w/ JSparling -- most of our hotel stays are 30-40K. They tend to be Homewood Suites or Embassy Suites. Is there another CC out there that will get you a free night's lodging for a $2,500 spend?

Kurt

Not many, but if you need to meet a sign up bonus that spend can get you those bonus points.......

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not many, but if you need to meet a sign up bonus that spend can get you those bonus points.......
The intention of my question was outside of one-time or sign-up bonuses. Although the HHonors affinity cards may not be the best, when paying MFs they are hard to beat.

Kurt

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Just found this. Sounds like HHonors points are one of the worst as far as their cash value.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/11/november-2015-monthly-valuations/

I read this guys stuff regularly. One thing to keep in mind with these valuation reports is your ability to earn and redeem the awards. I travel a bunch for business and both United and Hilton serve my needs very well.

Hyatt points are "worth" more but there are not many Hyatts near where i need to be..

I like to concentrate my points into a few program rather spread them out..Its easier to splurge on vacations that way.

Wgk101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas blvd
Charter Club Marco Island
Flamingo

Kurt

My cutoff date is January 9. Like you I usually wait until after the cutoff to gain the extra month to actually pay the bill. However, last year after the first I tried to book a room for sanibel that was available in June. They would not let me book because my mf was overdue. So if you are trying to book a room right away in the new year your mf must be current

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I read this guys stuff regularly. One thing to keep in mind with these valuation reports is your ability to earn and redeem the awards.

Great point. Hyatt points can be worth much more to some people but if I can't earn them or use them they are worthless to me. On Hilton purchases I'm only earning 0.5 cents per point but that adds up if you have enough points via 10x Hilton purchases and double-Diamond bonuses and such.

It's like a penny stock. If I own 100 shares it's worthless. But if I own a million shares I've got a little something going on.....

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read this guys stuff regularly. One thing to keep in mind with these valuation reports is your ability to earn and redeem the awards. I travel a bunch for business and both United and Hilton serve my needs very well.

Hyatt points are "worth" more but there are not many Hyatts near where i need to be..

I like to concentrate my points into a few program rather spread them out..Its easier to splurge on vacations that way.

Agreed. I also read the folks over at Flyertalk too. There's an art to earning, redeeming and churning points.

mjack47

TUG Member
Reaction score
How would you compare the benefit of paying MF with a Hilton Amex for hotel points vs paying with an airline card for miles , so I can fly to this vacation.