• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maintenance fee increase.

70monte

Reaction score
We were prior Silverleaf owners. The company was bought out by HIC vacations. We had two presidential weeks in SL, one red and one white. Last year we bought 60,000 points to increase the value of our SL weeks to 300,000.

We still have our deeded weeks at the SL resort but we can use the point value elsewhere in lieu of the specific weeks.

With SL, we were paying about $1,200 a year in MF's for the two weeks. When we bought the additional points, our prior MF amount went away and our new ones would now be about double that which we paid last Dec. We just got our bill for this next year and the cost has went up almost $700 with no changes to anything.

I called billing and they say our bill is correct and that they now have to separate the SL weeks and is why the cost went up. Previously our two SL weeks were billed together.

Has any other previous SL owner's experienced this? We now have to pay almost $3,200 in MF's and I'm very pissed.

Does anyone know how they access your points to a MF dollar amount?

Our Red SL week has a points value of 165,000 points with a MF cost of about $2,117. Our White week has a value of 75,000 points with a MF cost of $624 and our 60,000 point add on has a MF cost of $443. I feel like we are paying way too much for our point value and want to know what other HIC members are paying for their points. I can't get anyone at HIC to give me any info.

I'm almost mad enough to give this all back to them. It's all paid off but they said we have to pay next year's MF's before we can give it back.

Thanks for any info or insight anyone can give me.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My understanding is that when you converted to points from your SL weeks, there was a part of the contract where you voluntarily agreed to allow them to modify the way they access the timeshare. The new assessment would be based on the number of points not on the weeks. Your assessment would be different than most HICV members with converted deeds (which still are accessed by the week not the number of points). Your assessment would also be different than trust owners who are accessed by the number of points but the multiplier is different.

Go back through your conversion paperwork to see if you can find the supplemental paperwork about this. Most SL owners who converted had their MF's go up, some as much as doubled. Others have reported that their MF went down. I would think the only ones that went down were those with off season studios.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
We were prior Silverleaf owners. The company was bought out by HIC vacations. We had two presidential weeks in SL, one red and one white. Last year we bought 60,000 points to increase the value of our SL weeks to 300,000.

We still have our deeded weeks at the SL resort but we can use the point value elsewhere in lieu of the specific weeks.

With SL, we were paying about $1,200 a year in MF's for the two weeks. When we bought the additional points, our prior MF amount went away and our new ones would now be about double that which we paid last Dec. We just got our bill for this next year and the cost has went up almost $700 with no changes to anything.

I called billing and they say our bill is correct and that they now have to separate the SL weeks and is why the cost went up. Previously our two SL weeks were billed together.

Has any other previous SL owner's experienced this? We now have to pay almost $3,200 in MF's and I'm very pissed.

Does anyone know how they access your points to a MF dollar amount?

Our Red SL week has a points value of 165,000 points with a MF cost of about $2,117. Our White week has a value of 75,000 points with a MF cost of $624 and our 60,000 point add on has a MF cost of $443. I feel like we are paying way too much for our point value and want to know what other HIC members are paying for their points. I can't get anyone at HIC to give me any info.

I'm almost mad enough to give this all back to them. It's all paid off but they said we have to pay next year's MF's before we can give it back.

Thanks for any info or insight anyone can give me.

This happened to me as well when i converted my 3 Bedroom Ambassador to points. I was paying around $1000 a year and they jacked the price up to $2200. I didn't realize it as well but it was a form that was signed during conversion allowing it.

70monte

Reaction score
We were aware of the increased assessment. It went from about $1,200 a year to about $2,500 a year after the conversion which they told us it would be. We paid the new amount of approx. $2,500 last Dec. for 2019. For 2020, it went up another $688. We bought the additional 60,000 points in April of 2018.

I don't see how it could go up that much in a year with no changes to what we own. I'm worried that this will happen again next year.

I will look at the new contract when my fiancee gets home as she has it in her lock box.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
We were aware of the increased assessment. It went from about $1,200 a year to about $2,500 a year after the conversion which they told us it would be. We paid the new amount of approx. $2,500 last Dec. for 2019. For 2020, it went up another $688. We bought the additional 60,000 points in April of 2018.

I don't see how it could go up that much in a year with no changes to what we own. I'm worried that this will happen again next year.
I haven't gotten my 2020 maintenance bill yet so maybe mine will do the same thing :(

70monte

Reaction score
We have only got the bill for the 60,000 points. We still have not received the one for the two SL weeks but we looked it up on the SL portal and saw how much it was. Billing said they sent out the bills on Nov 17th so who knows where they are at.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
We have only got the bill for the 60,000 points. We still have not received the one for the two SL weeks but we looked it up on the SL portal and saw how much it was. Billing said they sent out the bills on Nov 17th so who knows where they are at.
Once I converted they took away my silverleaf account. I cant even login to see it anymore.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
which location are your silverleafs at?

70monte

Reaction score
Once I converted they took away my silverleaf account. I cant even login to see it anymore.
I don't think ours is a total conversion since we can still use the deeded weeks at the resort. We just added the 60,000 points to our SL point value so that we would have more buying power and because they told us that we eventually would only be able to use those two weeks because other people who were on the points system would use up all of the weeks at other resorts. We like going to different places and didn't want to be locked down to our resort. Now I wish we had never done it.

70monte

Reaction score
This happened to me as well when i converted my 3 Bedroom Ambassador to points. I was paying around $1000 a year and they jacked the price up to $2200. I didn't realize it as well but it was a form that was signed during conversion allowing it.
This is what I don't understand. We are paying $2,100 for a red presidential at a resort that is not one of the better ones and you have an Ambassador paying almost the same amount. It doesn't make any sense to me. Where is your resort at?

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
This is what I don't understand. We are paying $2,100 for a red presidential at a resort that is not one of the better ones and you have an Ambassador paying almost the same amount. It doesn't make any sense to me. Where is your resort at?
My counselor just sent me my bill its $2,251.00 for this year. Up about 4% from last year, right around the same as my other 7 deeds. Your right my ambassador is worth 270,000 points.

70monte

Reaction score
My counselor just sent me my bill its $2,251.00 for this year. Up about 4% from last year, right around the same as my other 7 deeds. Your right my ambassador is worth 270,000 points.
So we are getting royally screwed. They are charging me $2,100 for 165,000 points. Where is your resort at and does this make a difference in how much they charge per point?

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
So we are getting royally screwed. They are charging me $2,100 for 165,000 points. Where is your resort at and does this make a difference in how much they charge per point?
Holiday Hills....Deeded points differ from resort to resort. For example my deeded points Vegas resort maintenance costs are $691 for 148,000 points. The new Trust points are the only points that have a fixed rate ratio of points to maintenance costs. I would believe your 60,000 points are from the trust. Possibly Ozark needs more work done to bring it up to par compared to Holiday Hills.

70monte

Reaction score
Holiday Hills....Deeded points differ from resort to resort. For example my deeded points Vegas resort maintenance costs are $691 for 148,000 points. The new Trust points are the only points that have a fixed rate ratio of points to maintenance costs. I would believe your 60,000 points are from the trust. Possibly Ozark needs more work done to bring it up to par compared to Holiday Hills.
I believe Holiday Hills is considered higher on the desirability scale than Ozark Mountain given the fact that it's in Branson yet you are paying roughly the same for a better unit. I can't seem to find our original contract from the upgrade. I don't know where else I would find the ratio of points to maintenance costs.

70monte

Reaction score
My understanding is that when you converted to points from your SL weeks, there was a part of the contract where you voluntarily agreed to allow them to modify the way they access the timeshare. The new assessment would be based on the number of points not on the weeks. Your assessment would be different than most HICV members with converted deeds (which still are accessed by the week not the number of points). Your assessment would also be different than trust owners who are accessed by the number of points but the multiplier is different.

Go back through your conversion paperwork to see if you can find the supplemental paperwork about this. Most SL owners who converted had their MF's go up, some as much as doubled. Others have reported that their MF went down. I would think the only ones that went down were those with off season studios.
I finally found the paperwork where we bought the 60,000 points. The only thing it really says about our SL properties is how many points they are worth. There is nothing in there that addresses anything about the assessment for those properties.

I did finally talk to someone in their accounting department and after talking to her supervisor, she says she thinks she might have found a problem but it has to go back to billing for review. I'm hopefully optimistic but really expect it to fall through and them tell me the billing is correct.