• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Main Events Coordinators

bradk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all -

I got an unusual phone call today from a company called Main Events Coordinators. They claimed to be looking for rooms in Nuevo Vallarta for some kind of convention and were trying to rent as many as they could from timeshare owners. She even claimed she could rent more rooms than weeks that I had because they work with the resorts.

They emailed me a proposal to rent my 2-bed timeshare for $3860/week (my maintenance is like $1000) and would only take a 3% commission. To start they said they needed a copy of my contract (and said I could redact any personal info) but just needed something with all the amenities listed. I was unclear on the exact details but it seemed like I wouldn't get paid until after the rental was over. No thanks.

I found almost nothing about them on Google, which would be odd for an event coordinator, and their website looks like it was made by a third grader. Their address appears to be a residential building in Hollywood. Seemed very shady so I passed.

Wondering if anyone else is getting calls like this?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is a common ploy - we hear about it on a regular basis.

After they have your upfront fee, they will rid off into the sunset.

Don't do it!

bradk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah they didn't ask for an up-front fee, which is why this seemed a bit different. I get called by upfront fee people about once a month.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yeah they didn't ask for an up-front fee, which is why this seemed a bit different. I get called by upfront fee people about once a month.

I GUARANTEE that there will be a fee. Once they have you hooked, and salivating to get that BIG check, they will come up with a bogus fee. In Mexico, it's usually a non-existent tax. Once they have it - you're history.

bradk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

johnak

Reaction score
Main Event Coordinators – JUST ANOTHER TIMESHARE RIPOFF
They want to rent your timeshare for an up and coming event and will offer you a very attractive price, but you have to pay the maintenance fees first. They say they use an American Escrow Company called HSBC to handle the deal which means they will try to charge you some fees. They also want a 3% commission at the close of the deal. They claim they will pay two of the five maintenance fees, but their commission on my deal would only be $300.00 and the two maintenance fees would amount to about $1,500.00. Someone is not doing their math. After all of that you will never see a penny. They sent me a contract with 21 articles associated with renting my property. 15 of the 21 articles are word for from a contract issued by Meritage Management (Google “Meritage Management Scams”). The other 6 are different because it is a rental contract rather than a sales contract. The property manager at their Los Angeles address has never heard of them and they have no business license to operate in LA. While talking to a Mr. Rizzo from MEC, I mentioned that I knew he wasn’t at that address. Upon hearing this he immediately hung up on me. I am beginning to believe that these callers are a bunch of timeshare salespeople from south of the border. It is their belief that they have developed another scheme to rip off the public. Any time you have contact with these types of firms, do some research, get the facts, contact the Better Business Bureau and post your experience on the internet. Maybe we can help some unsuspecting target save their money.