• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mai Khao restaurant tips

Mahou

Reaction score
Hello all !

I hope everyone is safe and well, its a tough time for us travel addicts !

I have booked Mai Khao for 11 nights at the end of December. The last time I was in Thailand was in the 80's and I am looking forward to returning.

I love to eat local foods and can't resist trying everything. However I do not have the stainless steal stomach that my wife has and on occasions I get, let's just say, accelerated digestive tract issues :)

Back in the 80's you had to be very careful as to which restaurants you went to as many were not recommended for tourists. I am sure this has greatly changed these days

So, I just wanted to know if the local Thai restaurants/bars close to the resort are safe to eat at ?? I assume the Marriott restaurants are just fine, but I want to try the local places where the locals go

thanks !

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Chew a couple Pepto Tablets before eating. I love spicy Mexican food but as I have aged I too occasionally suffer from accelerated digestive tract. So now when going out to eat in Mexico I chew a couple Tablets first.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We regularly eat at the local “shack” restaurants in the Mai Khao area - JJs, Singhs, Rimhad, KinDee...
We have never had any problem with the freshness and quality of the food.
They tend to buy just what they expect to sell.
We have even been to the local market with Jit, who runs JJs, and he is very particular about the produce he selects to buy.
I have no concerns eating at these restaurants
I do like spicy food, but they are used to asking people how spicy they like their meal served.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I learned a lesson when we visited Thailand: kick it DOWN a notch. (Apologies to Emeril)

In US Thai restaurants, I order things medium spicy. I tried medium spicy in a few local Thai restaurants and I nearly caught fire. In Thailand, I am definitely a mild kind of guy.

Mahou

Reaction score
We regularly eat at the local “shack” restaurants in the Mai Khao area - JJs, Singhs, Rimhad, KinDee...
We have never had any problem with the freshness and quality of the food.
They tend to buy just what they expect to sell.
We have even been to the local market with Jit, who runs JJs, and he is very particular about the produce he selects to buy.
I have no concerns eating at these restaurants
I do like spicy food, but they are used to asking people how spicy they like their meal served.

Thanks

I read that there are discounts for owners at other restaurants at the other Marriott sites. Do you know what the discounts are and where they can be used ??

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
When you check in at the resort you'll be bombarded with offers of purchasing a credit to use at the Marriott restaurants at a discounted rate however you can enjoy the usual discount with your Marriott status (the two can't be combined). Whilst the food at the various resort restaurants is ok to good it is quite expensive in comparison to local prices. The food we ate in the local restaurants was excellent and much cheaper, you just have to ignore the decor of many of them as they're often ramshackle buildings/shacks. We had no issues with any of the food and were always asked how spicy we wanted it, they are well aware that most tourists find the normal spice level too hot.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

I read that there are discounts for owners at other restaurants at the other Marriott sites. Do you know what the discounts are and where they can be used ??
Yes, you receive up to 20% discount as standard at most Marriott resorts in Asia dependent on your Bonvoy level

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
I would recommend the Mai Khao Living Room in the Mai Khao Plaza near the Marriott. Great fresh seafood cooked to order for those who do not like spicy. We like it HOT! Good atmosphere with music and very good prices. Service is awesome...….

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I learned a lesson when we visited Thailand: kick it DOWN a notch. (Apologies to Emeril)

In US Thai restaurants, I order things medium spicy. I tried medium spicy in a few local Thai restaurants and I nearly caught fire. In Thailand, I am definitely a mild kind of guy.

Yes. One time I got a bowl of soup that I asked for "medium hot". I must have looked like a cartoon character with smoke coming from my ears. The server was laughing as I was dying. She said they have three levels HOTTER. Now I ask for mild in Thailand.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
With Jit at JJs you use a measure of spiciness by how high up your body you hold your hand.
I like my Thai food “local” spicy, but I still haven’t risked head height spiciness yet - haha.