• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Madge - question on on-going search

EvelynK72

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Madge,

For several months, I have had an ongoing search for about 6-8 resorts for the Thanksgiving holiday. In addition, I do a twice daily manual search with another unit to see if my selected resorts show up or other suitable resorts appear. When conducting my routine manual search this morning about 8:30 am, I noticed one of my selected resorts online for the exact date that I wanted. I really couldn't believe my eyes! In fact, I took a few seconds to make sure the date was correct. Then I went to my ongoing search to see if the original unit could "pull" this resort. Sure enough, the unit involved in the search could "pull" the resort. Instead of immediately clicking the button to hold/confirm the unit, I started to wonder why my ongoing search did not pick up this resort BEFORE it even appeared on line. In that half a minute that I used up, the unit disappeared!!! I checked to see if my ongoing search had "caught" this unit, but my search was still intact. Boy was I angry because I thought my ongoing search should have confirmed this unit and now it appeared that someone else got the unit!!!

So my question is: Why didn't my ongoing search confirm this resort BEFORE it appeared online, since it is one of the resorts I requested at the time period I requested?

Epilogue: I signed out of RCI, but out of desperation I signed back in and checked my ongoing search. My search had disappeared and the unit in question was on hold. So, in the end, all is well; however, it is entirely possible that someone else could have reserved the week while it was appearing online. My question above still stands - isn't an on-going search supposed to catch the unit BEFORE it appears online? If so, then obviously it didn't happen this time and perhaps there is a glitch in your system somewhere.

Evelyn

Last edited:

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Evelyn,

Ongoing searches are programmed to match units before direct searches could access them. The only way this might not happen is if a similar unit type at the same resort has already been matched and declined, or if there is a technical problem with the particular search. The latter is very, very rare.

If you see any other issues with your search, please send an e-mail to feedback@rci.com with TUG in the subject line. The Communications Team can check on it for you.

EvelynK72

TUG Member
Reaction score
Evelyn,

Ongoing searches are programmed to match units before direct searches could access them. The only way this might not happen is if a similar unit type at the same resort has already been matched and declined, or if there is a technical problem with the particular search. The latter is very, very rare.

If you see any other issues with your search, please send an e-mail to feedback@rci.com with TUG in the subject line. The Communications Team can check on it for you.

Madge

For the search in question, there was never a match that was made (or declined), so I'll have to assume the "very, very rare" technical problem occurred. As I indicated, I did get the exchange, so I won't bother using up anyone's time to find out just went wrong. I'll just hope that it doesn't happen the next time where I might not be as lucky. You can be sure that I'll be checking manually at least twice daily!!

Thanks for your response
Evelyn

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Technical problems are not infrequent at RCI. I, and others, have had "Ongoing Searches" miss a week that was sitting online. It's not too rare. :( That's why it's important to do manual checks yourself a couple times a day. JMHO.

Phil

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well what if you don't have another week available to search with while the original search is going on? How does one search for an available unit?:shrug:

happybaby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well what if you don't have another week available to search with while the original search is going on? How does one search for an available unit?:shrug:

You go to your ongoing search and click modify and enter in your choices (or leave them the same) and click continue. If nothing is found, then save your original search.

I do a manual search everyday, several times a day, and that is how I find an exchange.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
gnip gnop,

As happybaby mentioned, you can use your ongoing search to do a direct search by using the "Modify" feature. After you've checked for alternative availability, you can elect to keep your new search parameters or go back to the original search.