• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Made it to Maui!

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
If it doesn't work out , go back to Costco and get that whole pig.:)

BTW, Soup Nutz is on my list for next year, Thank You!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Jeff, where are you staying next year? Have you been there before?

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Costco gas prices: I topped off the tank today, because we're driving up Haleakala in the morning. (Presuming I wake up. :rolleyes:) Regular Unleaded gas was $3.39 a gallon. That was what I paid for gas at my Costco at home the other day. Expensive to some, but pretty typical for me. :)

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Our favorite drink that we make in the Islands is: Start with a tall glass 1/4 full with ice; add Dark Koloa Rum from Kauai to about 1/3; add POG Juice to fill glass; and, now stir. We like it better than a Mai Tai.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If it doesn't work out , go back to Costco and get that whole pig.:)

I'm thinking the resort might have an issue if I start digging a big hole in the lawn... LOL!

BTW, Soup Nutz is on my list for next year, Thank You!

Very cool! We split a short stack of banana pancakes today. We couldn't finish them. Too much food. ;)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Our favorite drink that we make in the Islands is: Start with a tall glass 1/4 full with ice; add Dark Koloa Rum from Kauai to about 1/3; add POG Juice to fill glass; and, now stir. We like it better than a Mai Tai.

Nice! We've done the same. My brother and his bride served Koloa Rum and POG at their wedding reception. I performed the ceremony when they married on the Black Sand Beach on the Big Island three years ago. They then had a HUGE Hawaiian-themed reception back in San Diego for all their friends who couldn't attend the wedding. We even reenacted the ceremony. It was great!

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Jeff, where are you staying next year? Have you been there before?

Dave

I’m staying in Kihei at the Maui Schooner. I haven’t been back to Maui in Four years. That was when we stay on Maui for two weeks and then a week on Kauai. We stayed at the Schooner for one week and Valley Isle the second week. We own at the Schooner.

I haven’t been to Soup Nutz before so we’ll give it a try. I do remember liking the Gazebo in Napili. So i’m Sure we’ll head back there too.

We are bringing friends who have come twice with us to Kauai. They have never been to Maui.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I’m staying in Kihei at the Maui Schooner. I haven’t been back to Maui in Four years. That was when we stay on Maui for two weeks and then a week on Kauai. We stayed at the Schooner for one week and Valley Isle the second week. We own at the Schooner.

I haven’t been to Soup Nutz before so we’ll give it a try. I do remember liking the Gazebo in Napili. So i’m Sure we’ll head back there too.

We are bringing friends who have come twice with us to Kauai. They have never been to Maui.

Maui Brewing Company has a fabulous complex now in Kihei.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Brewing Company has a fabulous complex now in Kihei.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another one for the list. Thanks!!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Snorkel mask works great! Very clear, and I could see quite well in the pool. Ocean snorkel trip is a Go! :thumbup:

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I’m staying in Kihei at the Maui Schooner. I haven’t been back to Maui in Four years.

We also stayed at Maui Schooner four years ago. Great location!

Dave

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
I'm always looking for good banana bread when in Maui. How far above Honolua Bay is the stand? Which side of the road?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
It has been close to 6 years since we have been to Maui but if you are in the Kihei area try the Kihei Cafe for Breakfast - cash only. Their Loco Moco is outstanding as are most of their Breakfasts. When we stay in Kihei we will eat Breakfast there about half the time.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It has been close to 6 years since we have been to Maui but if you are in the Kihei area try the Kihei Cafe for Breakfast - cash only. Their Loco Moco is outstanding as are most of their Breakfasts. When we stay in Kihei we will eat Breakfast there about half the time.
We go to Maui just about every year. Still haven't eaten there. Always too busy. We generally eat breakfast in, but when we go out we walk to Fred's/Moose McGillicuddy, since it's close to Maui Hill. You can get a coupon in the magazines that are out all over the place for one free breakfast when you buy one. They do a decent breakfast, you can sit out on their lanai and watch the ocean.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm always looking for good banana bread when in Maui. How far above Honolua Bay is the stand? Which side of the road?

It’s about a half mile before the Blowhole, on the left side. The man working the stand said it was where the trail “goes to the light beacon.” Not a lighthouse, he said, but an electric signal light. Does that help?

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sunrise on Haleakala was a glorious success! Not only did the alarm work right this time, (Yay!), but we had an uneventful drive across the island and up the mountain. The sunrise ticket reservation went off without a hitch*. We were there plenty early to secure a great spot, and Mother Nature put on a spectacular sunrise. So much more interesting than it was last time. These are only a few of the pictures I took, all are unedited, but are presented here for your viewing pleasure:

Haleakala 0.jpg Haleakala 00.jpg Haleakala 1.JPG
Haleakala 2.JPG Haleakala 3.JPG Haleakala 4.JPG
Haleakala 5.JPG Haleakala 6.JPG Haleakala 7.JPG

I have many more, but these are some quick-picked best shots. I'm pretty pleased, and I'm not even the photographer in the family. :)

The drive to the top took every minute of two hours from the time we left the resort. There were conflicting time reports - Google Maps says it takes an hour and 53 minutes. The Haleakala National Park website says three and a half hours. In this case, Google Maps was much closer to being right. But there was minimal traffic in front of us. If you elect to do this at some point, plan accordingly.

* The ticket reservation was odd. When I bought my first ticket two months ago, my receipt had a bar code, and said they'd scan it. Big warnings, that if they couldn't scan it, we might be turned away. This second ticket receipt only had a Reservation Code on it - no bar code. When I got to the ticket booth, the Ranger just asked me my last name. I told him, he checked a list, and he said, "Ok, you're good." So maybe they've changed things. If you do this, take whatever receipts they send you, because I don't know what you should expect.

After the Ranger approved us for the sunrise reservation, he said, "That'll be $25 entrance fee." I held up my Access Pass and Driver's License, and he said, "That's even better." No worries, and that was that. We were at the summit a half hour later. :thumbup:

Weather was cooperative. It was cold, slightly windy, but nothing like the bitter cold wind the last time we were here. Slightly overcast, so minimal opportunity for stargazing (Emmy, I tried! :)) Although we did see Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter, if the guy with the star map was to be believed. Temperature was 51 degrees at the summit. We'd brought heavy winter coats and gloves, and I was quite toasty.

We arrived at the parking area a few minutes before 5:00. Sunrise was at 5:39. We left the parking area about 6:30. It was a very nice experience.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
On the way down the mountain, we headed left on Kula Highway, and had breakfast at Grandma's Coffee House. We'd eaten there last trip, and knew they'd probably still be in business. Turns out they've just celebrated their 30th anniversary. We were one of the first in the door after they opened, but by the time we left, the place was packed. Food was average, but the coffee was very good. It was a convenient stop to warm up after doing the sunrise.

Grandma.JPG

We made a few stops on the way back to the resort, including the Safeway at the Cannery in Lahaina. I think Times may be cheaper, at least on the things we bought. We're relaxing a bit, after getting so little sleep, and then we'll decide what comes next. This trip is not about marathon sightseeing. It's been very relaxing, which suits me just right. :)

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We've stopped at Grandma's Coffee House several times, but only for coffee, never for a meal.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
We picked up some of Julia's delicious banana bread at the stand on the one lane road past the blowhole.

We did the whole loop. The road to the stand isn't bad, it gets hairy later on the cliff.

Here's some photos showing the road to the stand then leaving southeast.
ba.jpg
baBreadStand.jpg
baHill.jpg

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
A mai tai, by my own definition, is dark rum with a tropical fruit juice. You are drinking what I would call a mai tai. The only problem I see is that the rum should be floated on top and stirred carefully.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We picked up some of Julie's delicious banana bread at the stand on the one lane road past the blowhole.

We did the whole loop. The road to the stand isn't bad, it gets hairy later on the cliff.

Here's some photos showing the road to the stand then leaving southeast.
View attachment 6748 View attachment 6749 View attachment 6750

Wow! Definitely much different than what we saw. The place we stopped was just a portable awning thing, and he had a table set up. A few signs that caught our eye driving past, but that was all. Very temporary.

I had given thoughts to doing the full loop, but decided against it. We're driving a Mustang convertible that has terrible ground clearance. We have to tiptoe over the speedbumps at the resort. I decided the full loop road was a bit more than I wanted to risk this time around.

Dave

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
Sunrise on Haleakala was a glorious success! Not only did the alarm work right this time, (Yay!), but we had an uneventful drive across the island and up the mountain. The sunrise ticket reservation went off without a hitch*. We were there plenty early to secure a great spot, and Mother Nature put on a spectacular sunrise. So much more interesting than it was last time. These are only a few of the pictures I took, all are unedited, but are presented here for your viewing pleasure:

==== snip ====

I have many more, but these are some quick-picked best shots. I'm pretty pleased, and I'm not even the photographer in the family. :)

The drive to the top took every minute of two hours from the time we left the resort. There were conflicting time reports - Google Maps says it takes an hour and 53 minutes. The Haleakala National Park website says three and a half hours. In this case, Google Maps was much closer to being right. But there was minimal traffic in front of us. If you elect to do this at some point, plan accordingly.

* The ticket reservation was odd. When I bought my first ticket two months ago, my receipt had a bar code, and said they'd scan it. Big warnings, that if they couldn't scan it, we might be turned away. This second ticket receipt only had a Reservation Code on it - no bar code. When I got to the ticket booth, the Ranger just asked me my last name. I told him, he checked a list, and he said, "Ok, you're good." So maybe they've changed things. If you do this, take whatever receipts they send you, because I don't know what you should expect.

After the Ranger approved us for the sunrise reservation, he said, "That'll be $25 entrance fee." I held up my Access Pass and Driver's License, and he said, "That's even better." No worries, and that was that. We were at the summit a half hour later. :thumbup:

Weather was cooperative. It was cold, slightly windy, but nothing like the bitter cold wind the last time we were here. Slightly overcast, so minimal opportunity for stargazing (Emmy, I tried! :)) Although we did see Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter, if the guy with the star map was to be believed. Temperature was 51 degrees at the summit. We'd brought heavy winter coats and gloves, and I was quite toasty.

We arrived at the parking area a few minutes before 5:00. Sunrise was at 5:39. We left the parking area about 6:30. It was a very nice experience.

Dave
Your pictures are beautiful and I am so glad that you experienced this in person. We should try it one more time.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did it in a Nisson Altima.

The condition of the road isn't bad, just narrow at about 1 1/2 lanes wide. Going clockwise you would be on the inside when near the cliff.

We were in Kihei, so it made sense to do the loop. If I were to stay in West Maui, I would just drive to Julia's, then return.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great pictures Dave!! They make me think about trying it on my next trip. We’ll see, i’m not the early riser in the family. :)

It didn’t sound too cold either. Heck, we were 50 this morning and I was in shorts. :D