• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Made it to Maui!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My Hawaii trip has finally arrived. We flew from Seattle to Kahului this morning. Nice flight, easy trip. Picked up the rental car, and found our way to Ka'anapali Beach Club. I must say, I am very impressed by this place so far. Check in was a breeze, staff was very helpful at the desk. The room is great, and we're just finishing getting settled. We're heading out to get a bite of dinner, and explore a bit. I'll post more once I have some things to talk about, but for a tease, here's the view from our room. Room 1141.

Dave

IMG_5906.JPG

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Very nice!

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Great view!! I only have 244 days until Maui so I’ll be looking for ideas. :thumbup:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Great view!! I only have 244 days until Maui so I’ll be looking for ideas. :thumbup:

There's no way I can come close to your Kauai thread. That was epic! I'll do what I can from here, and hope for the best. :)

We're driving up Haleakala tomorrow morning for sunrise. I specifically chose tomorrow since it's the day after arriving, and we'll still be on Mainland time, so it'll be easier to wake up. We can sleep in on the days after that. I have my NPS ticket, the new requirement that controls the number of cars at the summit for the sunrise - there are limited parking places. The ticket is only a dollar, but it means they will know how many cars are on the mountain at that hour. The ticket does not include admission to the Haleakala National Park - that's the regular fee. If you have an Access Pass in one flavor or another, it's good to get you in. Thanks to a helpful lady Ranger at Kolob Canyon (part of Zion National Park) years ago, I have my lifetime Access Pass due to my bum leg. (She gets a grateful "Thank you, Kolob Lady" comment after we drive through the gate of any Park that accepts my Pass.

After the sunrise, we'll probably stop in Kula on the way down the mountain. There is a breakfast place there that was really good. I can't remember the name, but if it's still there, I'll post about it.

Then to Costco for supplies for the week, and to see what's new. (It's the LAW that we have to stop at every Costco we see in towns we visit. The curse/pleasure of being married to a Costco career staffer.)

After that, we'll see what the day brings.

Dave

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
I knew you that would like the condo at that resort, Dave.

Really sorry that you had to change your trip to the Big Island and star gazing at the Mauna Kea.

Hopefully later because it is a great tour and experience but it has to be pitch dark to see it at it’s best.

Our second time had some moon light and we were not stationed where we were stationed the first time with that company so less memorable.

There are more tour operators now so you may need to check Trip Advisor what tour is recommended now. We did it two years on a row many years ago.

Check what Haleakala has to offer or the Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa. I believe that they have something too.

taffy19

Reaction score
We'e driving up Haleakala tomorrow morning for sunrise. I specifically chose tomorrow since it's the day after arriving, and we'll still be on Mainland time, so it'll be easier to wake up. We can sleep in on the days after that. I have my NPS ticket, the new requirement that controls the number of cars at the summit for the sunrise - there are limited parking places. The ticket is only a dollar, but it means they will know how many cars are on the mountain at that hour. The ticket does not include admission to the Haleakala National Park - that's the regular fee. If you have an Access Pass in one flavor or another, it's good to get you in. Thanks to a helpful lady Ranger at Kolob Canyon (part of Zion National Park) years ago, I have my lifetime Access Pass due to my bum leg. (She gets a grateful "Thank you, Kolob Lady" comment after we drive through the gate of any Park that accepts my Pass.

Dave
I really hope that the sunrise will be spectacular! Pictures, please. :)

Reactions: Xan

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I knew you that would like the condo at that resort, Dave.

Really sorry that you had to change your trip to the Big Island and star gazing at the Mauna Kea.

Hopefully later because it is a great tour and experience but it has to be pitch dark to see it at it’s best.

Our second time had some moon light and we were not stationed where we were stationed the first time with that company so less memorable.

There are more tour operators now so you may need to check Trip Advisor what tour is recommended now. We did it two years on a row many years ago.

Check what Haleakala has to offer or the Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa. I believe that they have something too.

Thanks, Emmy. I'm a bit disappointed, but I just didn't want to be told where we couldn't go. We'll save the Big Island for a less eventful time. But this does give us a chance to see some of the Kauai places Slip recommended. :)

The condo here on Maui is very interesting, and it's everything you said it was. Since the exchange was made through Grand Pacific Exchange, the Front Desk says it was done as part of the Ka'anapali Beach Club, as if I was an owner. So they waived all the fees they normally charge (like the $25 daily fee for wifi and such.) The only fee I'm being charged is the Hawaii State TAT required tax. That's like $75 for the week. There was no timeshare sales pitch dance to get the parking pass, and they're also waiving valet fees.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I really hope that the sunrise will be spectacular! Pictures, please. :)

Oh yes! That's the whole idea. Last time there wasn't a cloud in the sky, and the pictures were kind of boring. (If something like that can be boring.) I'm hoping for a bit of cloud cover, enough to give contrast and interest to the crater rim. Stay tuned! :)

Dave

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Emmy. I'm a bit disappointed, but I just didn't want to be told where we couldn't go. We'll save the Big Island for a less eventful time. But this does give us a chance to see some of the Kauai places Slip recommended. :)

The condo here on Maui is very interesting, and it's everything you said it was. Since the exchange was made through Grand Pacific Exchange, the Front Desk says it was done as part of the Ka'anapali Beach Club, as if I was an owner. So they waived all the fees they normally charge (like the $25 daily fee for wifi and such.) The only fee I'm being charged is the Hawaii State TAT required tax. That's like $75 for the week. There was no timeshare sales pitch dance to get the parking pass, and they're also waiving valet fees.

Dave

I used to own at KBC years ago, but was able to deed back. Nice place, but I found it too large.
Across the street from the entrance is a small strip mall with a cool coffee shop that does great breakfast. If it’s still there, it will have two sides, (coffee/restaurant), to it and tons of “decor” and photos.

If you do ever make it to the Big Island, to see Mauna Kea, I used Hawaii Forest & Trail for my tour company. I couldn’t say enough good things about the tour guide. He was very knowledgeable. (Sorry, don’t remember his name, but he was an older gentleman that also worked as an airport shuttle driver.)

Looking forward to seeing what you post!

Enjoy your vacation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We are going to be there for a week in August as DRI Members. We are going to be in a 1 Bedroom Unit. What are the kitchens like? We were told they have hot plates at Housekeeping to borrow. Then a week down the Street at Hona Koa. Please post about the Resort and local things to see and do. We have never stayed in the Kaanapali area but always
over in Kihei.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We are going to be there for a week in August as DRI Members. We are going to be in a 1 Bedroom Unit. What are the kitchens like? We were told they have hot plates at Housekeeping to borrow. Then a week down the Street at Hona Koa. Please post about the Resort and local things to see and do. We have never stayed in the Kaanapali area but always
over in Kihei.
Here's what the kitchens look like. There is an electric skillet on top of the fridge. Fortunately, there's several restaurants within walking distance. You can also get takeout from the poolside restaurant.

13%20Ka%27anapali%20Beach%20Club%20room%201203%20-L.jpg

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

Dave

Interesting info re:no fees. I may add this resort to the potential trade list. GPX is looking a bit more interesting these days.

Have a great time up on Haleakala. I'm not sure where you are stopping in Kula, but the views from the restaurant at Kula Lodge are amazing. We always stop there.

I'm sure that we will all be traveling vicariously with you - can't wait to see the pics. Enjoy your trip!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Well, dang. No Haleakala sunrise this trip. I could make up a big ol' story about why we didn't go, to try and show everyone what a super-duper adventurer I am, but simple truth be told, I goofed up on the alarm, and it didn't go off. We slept right past it. (I guess we were more tired than I thought, and the bed is fantastic! LOL!) I've already checked the Haleakala website, and tickets are Sold Out until next month. Oh well, so it goes. :thumbup:

Dave

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, dang. No Haleakala sunrise this trip. I could make up a big ol' story about why we didn't go, to try and show everyone what a super-duper adventurer I am, but simple truth be told, I goofed up on the alarm, and it didn't go off. We slept right past it. (I guess we were more tired than I thought, and the bed is fantastic! LOL!) I've already checked the Haleakala website, and tickets are Sold Out until next month. Oh well, so it goes. :thumbup:

Dave
Bummer! Best laid plans and all that. We had a similar thing happen on our honeymoon (back in the day). On our designated Haleakala day the alarm went off at whatever ungodly hour and I was just too tired to go. I told my new husband to have fun, but I wasn't moving. He said "no problem" and rolled over and went back to sleep. We didn't get up to see the sunrise for another 24 years. Now you will have a great story to tell.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

Dave

That makes today a new adventure. As one page finished a new page begins. Now we won't find out what you did until you post again.:)

Enjoy the new day!!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Room pictures. We're in 1141, a one bedroom ocean view room, very high up (there are only 12 floors.) We discussed room location with the Front Desk clerk (Stephanie - she was great to talk with. Very helpful!) She asked if we had a fear of heights, because some people don't want to be be too high up. She then explained the differences between the north and south sides of the building. Others have previously said similar - the north side has more shade. The south side is sunnier, so warmer, but the view is better. I asked for the south side with the best view possible. I posted the view from the balcony up above. I think it's great. We're high enough up to see over the top of other hotels in the area. Sitting on the living room sofa and looking out the sliding doors, we can see Lanai in the distance. We can see Black Rock from the bedroom side of the balcony. It's a great view, and a very comfortable room.

The room layout has been described by others. Artringwald has posted great pictures in this and other threads showing room layout. This room is a flip view of the same layout. I'm going to post thumbnails that show the room's versions of that, with text comments as appropriate.

KBC Room Location.JPG

The room orientation picture above posted sideways, but you can rotate it to see 1141 is in the corner at the back. This gives the expansive view already posted. The ocean is at the bottom of that image. If we were closer to the ocean, the building structure would interfere with the view, and we'd be looking more southeasterly. I think this view is the best I could get from this room type. It's really nice.

1141 Kitchen.JPG 1141 Living Room 1.JPG 1141 Living Room 2.JPG

The kitchen and living room layout. There is also a table with four chairs between the kitchen bar counter and the living room furniture. (See Artringwald's picture posted above in reply #13.) Geist1223, the electric skillet in this room is in the cupboard under the kitchen sink.

1141 Bedroom 1.JPG 1141 Bedroom 2.JPG

The bedroom is quite spacious, with a great king sized bed. Extremely comfortable, and an excellent night's sleep. (See comment above about sleeping through the planned Haleakala sunrise trip. Oops! :) ) The sliding doors open onto the other end of the balcony the living room opens to. It isn't very deep, but there is room for a lounger and two chairs. The usual amenities - TV, dresser, nightstand, desk with side chair. The closet is large with plenty of hangars, and the back of the closet has sliding doors that open in the bathroom. So it's easy to get dressed from either room. Rather clever of them, I think.

1141 Bathroom 1.JPG 1141 Bathroom 2.JPG

The bathroom is quite large, with the closet sliding doors mentioned above, two sinks, (one a vanity with makeup chair area, the other a pedestal with small counter), a soaking tub (not jetted), separate glass shower stall, and the toilet in its own water closet.

Room amenities are nice. Not overly upscale, but definitely nicer than many places we've stayed. There are many nice touches, like ceiling fans in the living room and bedroom, comfortable furniture with plenty of seating, electric plug-ins on the bases of table lamps (great for computers and phone chargers), and flat screen TVs in the living room and bedroom. If there was more storage, this is a condo somebody (ok, me) could live in. :)

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Three more pictures. This is the Housekeeping schedule, resort layout, and week's activity calendar. Geist1223, note the housekeeping list shows what additional equipment can be requested. If anyone has specific questions about the resort itself, I'll be happy to try and get the answers for you. (Tug software flipped the one image on its side. Sorry about that.)

A note about the Wifi: It's great. Fast, and stable. You log in with your reservation last name and room number. They allowed four connections with our reservation. We're using it for two cell phones and two computers. They also have a computer room off the lobby with computers and printers to use.

Dave

KBC Housekeeping.JPGKBC Resort Layout.JPGKBC Activity Schedule.JPG

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Interesting info re:no fees. I may add this resort to the potential trade list. GPX is looking a bit more interesting these days.

I'm thinking the same thing. I was planning on passing along my GPR ownership after this trip, but based on this experience, I'm rethinking that idea. This was just a straight-up exchange of my Carlsbad Seapointe week on the GPX website, but it feels like I definitely got a good value for doing so. And my last-minute switch up of my Big Island plans to go to Kauai instead netted me a rental through GPX at Kauai Beach Villas into a two-bedroom for $84 a night, plus tax. Not a bad thing at all. So Grand Pacific is in very good standing with me right now. I don't know if this is an unusual situation, but so far, I'm really pleased.

Dave

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They always seem to have some availability in Hawaii. For our Kauai trip next year we had our choice of dates/unit sizes. Even though we paid the size upcharge, it was still a good value. And they periodically have rental deals. And no annual membership fees. I may try to give them some more business as we own 2 Grand Pacific weeks.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Across the street from the entrance is a small strip mall with a cool coffee shop that does great breakfast. If it’s still there, it will have two sides, (coffee/restaurant), to it and tons of “decor” and photos.

Thanks, I'll watch for it. I think that's the same shopping center with a Times supermarket. We dropped by last evening to pick up some things like ground coffee and such for this morning. I knew it was expensive, but be prepared for sticker shock at the grocery store. A 12-pack of diet soda was $8.00 Yikes! They were 3 for $10 at home the other day. :)

Dave

Reactions: Xan

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You got a great trade and deal only your Kauai rental. Great places, I always think the same way, that I could easily live here. :)

Those units do have A/C correct?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, I'll watch for it. I think that's the same shopping center with a Times supermarket. We dropped by last evening to pick up some things like ground coffee and such for this morning. I knew it was expensive, but be prepared for sticker shock at the grocery store. A 12-pack of diet soda was $8.00 Yikes! They were 3 for $10 at home the other day. :)

Dave
Dave. Costco? I'm shocked that you bought soda at the market?!:p

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You got a great trade and deal only your Kauai rental. Great places, I always think the same way, that I could easily live here. :)

Those units do have A/C correct?

Thanks - the KBV rental was a last-minute thing that happened to fall on the right dates and location I needed. I'm sure the low cost was due to the short check-in date.

Here at KBC there is great central A/C in the unit. Thermostat on the wall controls temperature and fan. Works great. At Kauai Beach Villas they have window A/Cs in each of the bedrooms. They don't have it in the main living area, but they provide a standing floor fan to move the air around. I've never had a problem with feeling too warm at KBV.

Dave