• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Macadamia Nut Recipes?

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Came home from Hawaii with 4 pounds of macadamia nuts. So far have made chocolate-dipped coconut macadamia Popsicles (mmmm). Today I made macadamia nut ice cream base plus a macadamia caramel to swirl in.

Anybody else have some good macadamia nut recipes?

Will post the ice cream recipe if it comes out ok when I freeze the ice cream tomorrow.

H

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Came home from Hawaii with 4 pounds of macadamia nuts. So far have made chocolate-dipped coconut macadamia Popsicles (mmmm). Today I made macadamia nut ice cream base plus a macadamia caramel to swirl in.

Will post the ice cream recipe if it comes out ok when I freeze the ice cream tomorrow.

H

Yum! Try Allrecipes.com. They have a search recipes by ingredient option.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll volunteer to sample your experiments and report back. :)

Jim

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Why would anyone want a Madonna nut recipe?
What? Oh, that's different... Nevermind.

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there in September and could barely find Macadamias at a decent price. Even Costco didn't have the big bags they used to. All we could find there was a box with several smaller cans inside at a high price.

They told us production was down (due to weather or lack of rain, not sure which).

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
We were there in September and could barely find Macadamias at a decent price. Even Costco didn't have the big bags they used to. All we could find there was a box with several smaller cans inside at a high price.

They told us production was down (due to weather or lack of rain, not sure which).

We paid either $34 or $37 for a 4 pound vacuum-sealed bag at Hamuka Macadamia Nut factory. I have no idea if that was a good price. The nuts are fresh and tasty. Toasting the nuts for the ice cream today, we came to realize that hot toasted mac nuts are even better than room temp mac nuts. 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

H

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
We lived in Hawaii when I was little. I love macadamia nuts!

I think my dad would make two different kinds of bark with them - chop them up and mix with melted chocolate and pour/spread on wax paper and break it up when it's cool, and the other was kind of a brittle - I guess you'd just make it like peanut brittle except for the different nuts.

They're really high in fat, though; if you stick one on a toothpick or skewer and light it, it'll flame like a little torch :eek:

We also picked avocados and mangoes from our own trees. Yummmm.

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's a bad price at all, considering the small jars in the grocery store are pricey! We should have hit the factory like you.

Some of the seafood restaurants make macadamia-nut encrusted fish dishes around here. As someone else mentioned, I bet some of the food websites have some options for you.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pecan Pie

H

We have used them before as a sub for pecans in a pecan pie recipe and loved it.
Bart

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Hawaiian Hot Dish

Chop up one can of SPAM and braise it in a frying pan.

Put the SPAM in a casserole dish and add:
1 can of crushed pineapple (drained)
1 can of yams (drained)
1/2 cup of dark brown sugar

Mix ingredients, and add crushed Macedamia nuts to the top.

Bake for 60 minutes at 375 degrees.

Best enjoyed with a mai tai.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Macadamia Nut Ice Cream Recipe

Ice Cream Ingredients
6 oz macadamia nuts
1 1/2 cups whole milk
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup half-and-half
3/4 cup cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Macadamia Caramel Swirl ingredients
2 oz macadamia nuts
1/3 cup sugar
2 T water
2 T light corn syrup
2 T butter

Toast macadamia nuts at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool, then chop finely in a food processor (do not over process, lest you make mac nut butter). Bring milk to a simmer, add chopped Mac nuts and let steep for 30 min.

While steeping, make the swirl. Toast nuts and chop coarsely. Set aside. Mix remaining ingredients and cook over medium high heat until a light caramel color, about 15-18 minutes. Add nuts a cook until a deep caramel color. Pour into heatproof container, cover and refrigerate.

Returning to ice cream recipe, drain milk thru a sieve and discard Mac nut solids. Add half-and-half and bring to a simmer. Whisk egg yolks and sugar thoroughly to combine. Slowly whisk in hot milk, then return to saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until thickened, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon- the custard is done when you can run a finger across the back of the spoon and leave a clear "trail" through the mixture. Add cream and vanilla, mix well, a refrigerate several hours until cold.

Add ice cream base to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers instructions. In the meanwhile, warm the macadamia-caramel swirl in the microwave until semi-liquid. Wheh the ice cream is soft- frozen, stop the machine and stir in the macadamia-caramel swirl. Place into airtight container and freeze 2-3 hours longer. Makes 3 cups, will keep several days.

Calories 514 per 1/2 cup serving

COMMENTS: This ice cream is awesome, it was the first time we made it, adapting a hazelnut ice cream recipe and transforming a cashew brittle recipe into the mac nut swirl. The swirl did not come out swirl-ish at all, more like buttery bits of cartmelized mac nuts distributed throughout the ice cream. Very tasty non-the-less. I have had the ill fortune to turn over a new diet leaf on the very day I made this ice cream, the real strict part of the new leaf is just going to have to wait a few days, lol, until we can consume this ice cream.

Next up: Mac Nut mini pies, a most excellent idea...

H

Last edited:

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hunka Hunka Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies

• 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 lg. eggs
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup macadamia nuts

In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt into the bowl and set aside. Mix together the butter, sugars, and vanilla with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs one at a time and beat for two minutes. Slowly add dry ingredients. Mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips and mix for two minutes. Add nuts and mix for two minutes.

Using a 2-ounce self-releasing ice-cream scoop or a 1/4-cup measuring cup, form large balls of cookie dough. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, about two inches apart, and chill the dough for at least 15 minutes or you can freeze them to cook later.

Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack and allow cookies to cool until firm. Makes about 3 doz.

This recipe comes from a woman who lives in our development. She has also submitted it to the web site "Graceland's Table".

persia

Reaction score
We lived in northern NSW where Macadamias originated. You could buy a 1 Kg bag of fresh macadamias for $2 at the local markets. We used to just open them and eat 'em raw. They even sold special nut crackers for this purpose....

macadamia_nuts.jpg

Map.jpg

Australia%20flag-M-anim.gif

Last edited:

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you run out of recipes and you want to get rid of the macadamia nuts, just let me know and I'll send you my address. ;)

My favorite is Macadamia Crusted Mahi Mahi. Just grind the nuts, mix with panko or bread crumbs (about half as much as the nuts), a little flour and some butter (about 1/4 as much as the nuts). Bake the fish about 5 minutes at 425, then brush the fish with milk (or coconut milk or a mix of milk and coconut syrup, if you have any of that) and pat the mixture down (thickly) on the fish. Cook for another 5-10 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.