• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lowest MF but highest TPU

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not only are mf's all over the map, TPU costs can vary widely with RCI. The more obvious examples are for weeks that where the check-in date is not far away, but I have found (and snapped up) exchanges for ridiculously low TPU's (e.g. Big Island Hawaii Thanksgiving 2012 2br King's Land) that are quite far out in time.

Bottom line - RCI isn't always predictable.

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think most people would be happy with $28 TPU (ignorance is bliss).

Dont get me wrong - $28/TPU can certainly work - but it was a pretty ugly 2 bedroom lockoff with high MF and low value (think fixed wyndham)......I do have 4 weeks that are $28/TPU - but I use them everyyear and would only rent them if not going to use.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

6scoops

TUG Member
Reaction score
low tpu cost

One last suggestion. No matter how great a TPU to $ ratio you are looking at buying, make sure it is a resort/location/area/ time of year you would like to personally use most years.

This is exactly what I did with my first Ebay purchase of a great trader.... With this exact advice from my friend here! Thanks again, I am very happy with the new RCI account, and the tpu I get. Also besides being able to use it if for some reason I can't trade it, I can also rent it out for more than my maintenance fee. ;)

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I did with my first Ebay purchase of a great trader.... With this exact advice from my friend here! Thanks again, I am very happy with the new RCI account, and the tpu I get. Also besides being able to use it if for some reason I can't trade it, I can also rent it out for more than my maintenance fee. ;)

You made a great choice. I am now seriously considering buying exactly what you purchased. ;)

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think most people would be happy with $28 TPU (ignorance is bliss).

Dont get me wrong - $28/TPU can certainly work - but it was a pretty ugly 2 bedroom lockoff with high MF and low value (think fixed wyndham)......I do have 4 weeks that are $28/TPU - but I use them everyyear and would only rent them if not going to use.

HEY Wait! Whats wrong with 2br Fixed Wyndhams?

mstoyanov

TUG Member
Reaction score
Relying on a wrong data is in many cases worse than having no data.
Raw data can be useful if it was collected in a diligent matter with proper attributes which this website does not.

And this site was suggested as an alternative to the EBay listings - I am sorry but this is a BAD advice. Most of the listings by the large PCCs on EBay are accurate about MFs down to the single dollar since they get this info from resort estoppel letters. Is it true that sometimes PCCs (and even resorts on estoppels) do make mistakes - yes, but more than 95% of the auctions by PCCs are without such errors. And in each listing you can see for which FY is maintenance fee listed, for what size of the unit and how frequently that fee is paid.
On top of that incorrect MFs can be used for dispute by the winner of the auction (within a 60 day credit card coverage) so most sellers try to be accurate.

And for the record I do collect data for myself for all resort/chains that are of interested to me but I have no time to build a whole website and attract enough visitors to make it a profitable venture. Biggest obstacle is attracting enough visitors to such site to be worth the expenses and efforts. But since Tug already have the critical mass of visitors/resort owners it will be easy enhancement. In fact for big chains (except Wyndham) Tug is the most accurate place to collect MFs/SA data and EBay is second most accurate place to get such data. For Wyndham the best site for this data is dedicated Wyndham forum on atozed.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth - I am happy Christine shared this site with me.

You obviously are not very experienced at "due diligence" and don't understand that even "raw" data is much better than no data.

If you want to put up a better site - no one is stopping you.

mstoyanov

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ride,
In general there is nothing generally wrong with Fixed Wyndham weeks but as a general rule (there are always exceptions of course) Wyndham MFs are higher than comparable resorts due to corporate influence on the HOA boards, and a lot of resorts are given less TPU due to large volume of deposits coming from Wyndham in RCI.
Wyndham/Fairfield have always been the backbone of supply in RCI system (that is why actually Cendant bough Farifield) and RCI (a separate division of Wyndham) does not overpoint TPUs for Wyndham resorts to attract more sales prospects (exchangers).
They have no use of empty room in the resorts since MFs are paid by the owners - they only care about sales prospects.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Raw data can be useful if it was collected in a diligent matter with proper attributes which this website does not.

And this site was suggested as an alternative to the EBay listings - I am sorry but this is a BAD advice. Most of the listings by the large PCCs on EBay are accurate about MFs down to the single dollar since they get this info from resort estoppel letters. Is it true that sometimes PCCs (and even resorts on estoppels) do make mistakes - yes, but more than 95% of the auctions by PCCs are without such errors. And in each listing you can see for which FY is maintenance fee listed, for what size of the unit and how frequently that fee is paid.

I do collect data for myself for all resort/chains that are of interested to me but I have no time to build a whole website and attract enough visitors to make it a profitable venture. Biggest obstacle is attracting enough visitors to such site to be worth the expenses and efforts. But since Tug already have the critical mass of visitors/resort owners it will be easy enhancement. In fact for big chains (except Wyndham) Tug is the most accurate place to collect MFs/SA data and EBay is second most accurate place to get such data. For Wyndham the best site for this data is dedicated Wyndham forum on atozed.

Sheeeessssh. :ponder: I wasn't suggesting to use this site instead of ebay, I'm just saying that it's another place you can look to see if there are any discrepancies. What is your problem? :annoyed:

This could be part of the due diligence.
If you don't like it don't use it.
Whatever. :rolleyes:

Sure sounds like you're connected somehow to the PCC's cause you sure are defensive over absolutely nothing. :crash:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
mstoyanov is right--I saw this site quite a while ago, and, as before, several results on that site are significantly off target.

It's very nice of Christine to share with us, as it's another data point and maybe 80% of what's on there is correct. The items I checked weren't, so it's always good to keep in mind it's only one source.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
-snip useless snivel-

WTF? Dude - where do you get off saying the site has WRONG data? How the F:ignore: c:ignore: do YOU know?

It is obvious as the nose on an id:ignore: ts face that the data is input by owners in raw format and that it is left raw (uncollated). They just put the numbers in that are on their MF bill -- period.

Are you ready to say they LIE?

Just because you don't know how to sift through raw data - don't ASSume no one else does.

added: sorry if I come off a bit harsh - but I gave you a chance to back off :)

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
It is obvious as the nose on an id:ignore: ts face that the data is input by owners in raw format and that it is left raw (uncollated). They just put the numbers in that are on their MF bill -- period.

Just because you don't know how to sift through raw data - don't ASSume no one else does.

Yeah! What he said.

Thanks Rick. ;)

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Nothing IF you hold a high demand time at a good resort. But the vast majority of good fixed weeks got converted to points back when the conversion cost very little - it was the dogs with extremely low point value (thus reflecting a very low trade/use value) that tended to remain as fixed ownerships and many now are not even eligible to be converted. Those are not good buys at any price.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Looking at that site it has a good selection of often hard to find resorts & fees BUT be very careful as many are total fees someone paid - may not be for a single week - and there is no detail to allow you to figure out what they paid for. Also many (it seems) EOY owners that pay 1/2 the annual cost. Most do have the real number in there but figuring out what it is if you aren't familiar with the resort - the exact reason to want to know - it is tough to do.

So interesting but of very limited value.

mstoyanov

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that the site has a lot of wrong data since I own quite a bit of of resorts and I do have HOA statements from these resorts from several FY so I know exactly what the maintenance fees are (up to the last cent).
As for lying - I never said anybody lied - lying implies knowing that you are entering wrong data while a lot of timeshare owners are clueless.
I presume that most of the incorrect entries are coming from people that have no idea what they are paying and website not having ability to ask for proper attributes to each entry (EY vs EOY, which FY, size, payment frequency, irregular items added to the MFs like Club membership, ARDA and so on).
Again without these attributes this data is as useless as it gets and can lead people to make wrong conclusions.

As for example of incorrect data - since you are interested in WKORV (according to your signature) and I am an owner there and have the HOA statements for the last 2 FY how do you explain entry on page 3 of $62.60 reported on 3/23/10?
Can you tell me what unit in WKORV has MFs of $62.60? I can assure you there never was a unit in WKORV with such MFs and probably never will.
Or $3190.22 for that matter (the absolute highest MF for any unit in WKORV - Corner Deluxe was for FY 2010 an it was $3076.69)?

In fact out of 7 resorts that I checked in that website (which I all own and have HOA info) all 7 contain funky entries that can not be MFs of any unit in these resorts.

And I frankly do not see what is your problem with pointing that data on this website is useless. Are you the owner of that website? If you are please add fields to the entry form for EOY vs EY, FY reported, Unit size, Payment frequency - this will make the website a lot more valuable and will attract more frequent visitors (me included). Also a good feature will be allowing visitors to flag incorrect entries for the FY/Unit sizes they own.

WTF? Dude - where do you get off saying the site has WRONG data? How the F:ignore: c:ignore: do YOU know?

Are you ready to say they LIE?

added: sorry if I come off a bit harsh - but I gave you a chance to back off :)

mstoyanov

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do one use site for extra diligence when entries are all over the map there? I mean when you have resort with entries from $62 to $3190 (and none of these 2 is correct) how can you make a conclusion.

It is much easier to make a conclusion when data converges - for example in my personal MF database last 7 entries for Marriott Aruba Surf Club (Annual 2BR Gold) - all taken from EBay as reported by sellers are: $1089, $1089, $1089, $1089, $1089, $1089, $1090
Well I can reasonably conclude that there is a very high probability MFs for 2BR Annual Gold Marriott Aruba Surf Club to be close to $1089.

Or for example here are the last 5 entries for WKORV 2BR Annual - again taken from EBay: $2300, $2174, $2950, $2438, $2345 - not very converging but at least in much more narrow range. In fact when I first researched that resort 4 years ago it was the discrepancy between numbers closer to $2000 and the ones closer to $3000 to make me research it deeper to discover that there are 2 distinct types of 2 BR units there (regular and corner units with different MFs).

Of course that doesn't mean that If I am on the market for such unit (which I am not) I will stop my research to that point, quite the contrary - I will go to Tug and try to see what condition the resort is in and how probable the special assessment will be in the near future.

As for my connection to PCCs - I am frequent buyer from these companies and that is the only connection that I ever had.

Sheeeessssh. :ponder: I wasn't suggesting to use this site instead of ebay, I'm just saying that it's another place you can look to see if there are any discrepancies. What is your problem? :annoyed:

This could be part of the due diligence.
If you don't like it don't use it.
Whatever. :rolleyes:

Sure sounds like you're connected somehow to the PCC's cause you sure are defensive over absolutely nothing. :crash:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that the site has a lot of wrong data since I own quite a bit of of resorts and I do have HOA statements from these resorts from several FY so I know exactly what the maintenance fees are (up to the last cent).
As for lying - I never said anybody lied - lying implies knowing that you are entering wrong data while a lot of timeshare owners are clueless.
I presume that most of the incorrect entries are coming from people that have no idea what they are paying and website not having ability to ask for proper attributes to each entry (EY vs EOY, which FY, size, payment frequency, irregular items added to the MFs like Club membership, ARDA and so on).
Again without these attributes this data is as useless as it gets and can lead people to make wrong conclusions.

As for example of incorrect data - since you are interested in WKORV (according to your signature) and I am an owner there and have the HOA statements for the last 2 FY how do you explain entry on page 3 of $62.60 reported on 3/23/10?
Can you tell me what unit in WKORV has MFs of $62.60? I can assure you there never was a unit in WKORV with such MFs and probably never will.
Or $3190.22 for that matter (the absolute highest MF for any unit in WKORV - Corner Deluxe was for FY 2010 an it was $3076.69)?

In fact out of 7 resorts that I checked in that website (which I all own and have HOA info) all 7 contain funky entries that can not be MFs of any unit in these resorts.

And I frankly do not see what is your problem with pointing that data on this website is useless. Are you the owner of that website? If you are please add fields to the entry form for EOY vs EY, FY reported, Unit size, Payment frequency - this will make the website a lot more valuable and will attract more frequent visitors (me included). Also a good feature will be allowing visitors to flag incorrect entries for the FY/Unit sizes they own.

OK OK OK - I get it you are unable to deal with raw data (complete with outriders) in your mind.

But, when you say there is "wrong" data on that site you act like you know that owners are intentionally misreporting their MF's, That is very unlikely and would require more insider info than I think you have.

And I will agree the data is useless to you - since you require your data to be collated and vetted for outriders - See we can agree :wave:

So I suggest you do like Christine suggests: DON"T FRIGGIN USE IT!

And I get it that you are a "half empty" kind of guy - me I'm more of a half full type and don't like to SH:ignore: T on somebody who is trying to help me
out. Again thanks Christine.:clap: :clap: :clap:

I would gather somebody either mistyped the $62.60 outrider or perhaps missed with their decimal point - but I forget you can only bitch about outriders not dismiss them. :rofl:

As for my owning the website - don't be a :ignore:

I still haven't gotten the address to your (better) site.

Que sound of crickets.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand all the vehemence around Mystoyanov's response to Chriske's post. I'm sure both posted in an effort to help others on the board.

Chriske pointed out a site that provides m/f or assessment information to consider. (Don't think she said this is Gospel.)

Mystoyanov (and others) observed the data isn't totally right, and the mechanism to enter the data to provide the necessary specifics isn't there. (I agree, as I tried it a year ago and backed out as I could see the faults.)

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I don't understand all the vehemence around Mystoyanov's response to Chriske's post. I'm sure both posted in an effort to help others on the board.

Chriske pointed out a site that provides m/f or assessment information to consider. (Don't think she said this is Gospel.)

Mystoyanov (and others) observed the data isn't totally right, and the mechanism to enter the data to provide the necessary specifics isn't there. (I agree, as I tried it a year ago and backed out as I could see the faults.)

Agreed...this thread really got unnecessarily heated. I don't recall ever seeing such mean posts (complete with masked profanity) on TUG.

I stumbled across that site awhile ago. I was hoping to find info on special assessments. I thought it was a good concept but just not enough info to be useful for me. Others may find the info useful though.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree completely... amp seems to like to post as if he's on steroids or something... what do they call that... roid rage???? That's what that post reminded me of.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree completely... amp seems to like to post as if he's on steroids or something... what do they call that... roid rage???? That's what that post reminded me of.

Well Ace it's like this: mstoyanov and his "half empty" style combined with his stubborn insistence that that style is the cool style just plain irks me :annoyed: ... it's really just that simple.

So I said "why look a gift horse in the mouth"?...

and he continued to complain that the data wasn't collated and vetted....

So I says "quit yer complainin"... getting more firm each of three times I said it - you know like you have to talk louder to people who are hard of hearing.:annoyed:

Come on ... what's really so hard to understand about that?

Continue to listen to crickets waiting for mstoyanov to post his (better) site.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
deleted- double post

deleted--- dbl post

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Ok, apparantly there have been some spicy posts, I had been reading all the posts on this thread but fortunately missed those and I will just skip them, thanks.

But back to the subject at hand: Wouldn't a better measure for people to be considering be cost/night? When I look at my Hyatt as a trader, I consider: (initial purchase price amortized over 10 years + all fees paid to obtain trades, including membership fees for exchange companies, cancellation fees, etc + annual MF) divided by number of nights of stays per year. Obviously Hyatt is an II trader, not RCI, but the concept is the same. Yes, you could get more sophisticated than this and try to figure opportunity costs, yada yada yada, but once you are talking minimal purchase costs and MF, the costs of trading, fees, memberships becomes a significant piece of the cost pie.

Everyone will ultimately do the math however it makes sense to them. But I bet the MF piece of the equation becomes not more than 30-50% of the total cost of the exchange week when some of these more complicated trades are executed. In which case, purely looking at MF/TPU becomes unhelpful.

H

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

You put it much better than mystoyanov did ...

YOU don't make it sound like Chriske was trying to make it harder for people to find data by introducing "wrong" data in place of good data. YOU also aren't implying that Christine, Tombo and I might "own" the website and have some hidden agenda by welcoming the added data, raw as it may be.

If mystoyanov had just said "the site data isn't totally right, and the mechanism to enter the data to provide the necessary specifics isn't there." I would have just agreed with him.

Simple really ... it's all in the wrist, ah I mean twist.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Back to the OP's original question..... I recently traded my Prime summer Island Park Village Week which used to be a tiger trader with RCI but now gets a meager 28 TPUS to another timesharer that I get 52 TPU's for a Maintenance fee of $500. ($9.60 per TPU). I'll send you a pm with the resort....as we all know in the past if weeks are talked up too much it can have a negative effect on trade power.

And you other folks....you should play nice:hi: