• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lowering Hilton American Express Card

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thinking about lowering my AmEx card from Aspire to Surpass. I am not traveling at all and don't anticipate any travel this year. I have my one weekend night expiring in 2 weeks that I won't be using. In fact, the only benefit I used from my card last year was the dining credit that we got for 2 months. That's not worth the $450/annual fee.

So, I am thinking of calling to ask if they can lower my card to the Surpass card. Honestly, not even sure I need that if I am not traveling. I think there's even a free version. I don't want to unlock my credit to switch cards. Does anyone know if I can just call to ask if I can switch out my card without a credit check? I suppose if they can't do it without a credit check, I can just cancel the card. I need to think about it a little more, but wondered if anyone here has done this already.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Usually you can switch cards without impact on your credit. Be aware that of you have never had the Surpass before and you downgrade, you will never be able to sign up for a welcome bonus for that card per Amex rules.

My Aspire more than pays for the $450 fee. We are downgrading the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant as soon as we receive our 50k anniversary bonus because the $450 is not worth it on that card and the anniversary rooms are devaluing.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I'm in the same boat. I am not sure my Aspire is worth the fee if I am not traveling. The Air credit is near impossible to use if you are not traveling. I already purchased United Club passes last year just to not let the credit go to waste. But if traveling this year is also curtailed, might not get a change to use them at all.

I will keep my Chase Sapphire Reserve as it is more flexible and I can make it work during the pandemic.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I use the travel credits for Southwest. If you buy tickets valued less than $100 or Early Bird, the credit is easily used up. We also use the $250 resort credit for our HGVC Vegas MF.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I closed my Chase Sapphire Reserve just prior it's anniversary.
Although I prolly coulda made it work, why bother?
I had a new Chase Freedom to which the CSR xferred my CL.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I discovered that the airline credit from Amex works for the United Travelbank. That is basically a giftcard / prepaid fund for future flights. The funds are good for five years from date of purchase. That an easy use of those, as i am positive i will fly again. I already have two trips for this year fully booked, and third in Oct planned.

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
I'm in the same boat. I am not sure my Aspire is worth the fee if I am not traveling. The Air credit is near impossible to use if you are not traveling. I already purchased United Club passes last year just to not let the credit go to waste. But if traveling this year is also curtailed, might not get a change to use them at all.

I will keep my Chase Sapphire Reserve as it is more flexible and I can make it work during the pandemic.

What’s the annual fee on CSR these days? I have the Preferred and I like it, but it’s only $100 annual fee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
What’s the annual fee on CSR these days? I have the Preferred and I like it, but it’s only $100 annual fee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is now $550, with $300 of that travel reimbursement, plus other program perks. I am still on the $450 old rate, I have not yet hit my anniversary yet.

What I like is the 50% bonus for booking travel in their portal, and for which this year they allowed to use for food and groceries. The big bonus when I am traveling is this card still provides dining included options at airport restaurants. The AMEX program dropped that perk from their card, but CSR kept it.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
What’s the annual fee on CSR these days? I have the Preferred and I like it, but it’s only $100 annual fee.

Annual Fee:
$550 - for new cards after 1/12/20 and for renewals after 12/31/20.
Credit for Travel:
$300 annual credit for travel purchases, including gas + groceries thru 6/30/21.
New Account Bonus:
50K Points ($750 for travel thru UR), if no other Sapphire & no Sapphire reward in last 48 months.

My renewal woulda been in December ($450), and I thought about downgrading to Preferred.
But Freedom (-0- fee) seemed to suit our stay-home lifestyle better.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I went ahead and called and asked to drop down a level. It was very easy and I had the option of either going for the no fee version or the $95. Surpass. I went for the Surpass because if I do end up staying at a Hilton hotel, I want my Gold benefits. If I ever start traveling again, I'll likely switch it back to the higher version. It's a little sad because I feel like I am confirming that I won't be traveling this year, but I didn't travel last year and I can't imagine any scenario where I would travel this year.