• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lost

Crimsondoll

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VacationVillage at Parkway
I am in need of an appraisal or the fare market value of my timeshare as of May 7th 2019. I sort of inherited my timeshare and have no idea how any of this works and am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Likely $0 unless Disney, Marriott, Hilton, or Hyatt. What TS do you own? In what city? How many bedrooms?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am in need of an appraisal or the fare market value of my timeshare as of May 7th 2019. I sort of inherited my timeshare and have no idea how any of this works and am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

If it has no value (likely), you should not accept this inheritance. You aren’t required to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know about other states, but in Maryland, if you receive an inheritance by a will, you can refuse to accept it however, you must refuse it by "disclaiming".

Should you do so, the disclaimed item(s) pass to the next beneficiary in line.

Keep in mind that disclaiming is a permanent decision. You can't change your mind so, think about it carefully. Do it only if you think it's best financially. Also, there specific rules and steps to complete a disclaimer.

There is a time limit. In Maryland it's within 9 months of the person's passing or nine months after you turn 21 if you’re a minor.

Do not receive any benefit(s) from it. You can't use it or receive the benefits of it and then later decide to disclaim it.

The disclaimer must be in writing by the person doing the disclaiming and it must be delivered to the person in control of the estate or asset, such as an executor, trustee, or custodian.

Usually, it must be either notarized or approved by the court. It's best to contact an attorney.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
zero. but if you learn how to use it, the annual fees should enable better vacations for you.

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds liked you have already made up your mind, even before asking the question here?
Your only obligation if you inherited a timeshare will be yearly maintenance fees and club fees.
Plus, normal travel related expenses for your vacations.

WVBaker, gave you some excellent advice/points in his post.

The advice given by other TUGS posters , all have been excellent advice and true. IMHO.

Crimsondoll

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Likely $0 unless Disney, Marriott, Hilton, or Hyatt. What TS do you own? In what city? How many bedrooms?
Kissimee Vacation Village at parkway
2 unit with an A & B that can be rented individually, 1 bedroom each with kitchen & living areas. The gentleman who does my taxes says I need fare market value in order file my 2019 taxes.

Crimsondoll

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't know about other states, but in Maryland, if you receive an inheritance by a will, you can refuse to accept it however, you must refuse it by "disclaiming".

Keep in mind that disclaiming is a permanent decision. You can't change your mind so, think about it carefully. Do it only if you think it's best financially. Also, there specific rules and steps to complete a disclaimer.

There is a time limit. In Maryland it's within 9 months of the person's passing or nine months after you turn 21 if you’re a minor.

Do not receive any benefit(s) from it. You can't use it or receive the benefits of it and then later decide to disclaim it.

The disclaimer must be in writing by the person doing the disclaiming and it must be delivered to the person in control of the estate or asset, such as an executor, trustee, or custodian.

Usually, it must be either notarized or approved by the court. It's best to contact an attorney.
Thank you
I did not inherit the time share it was purchase while we were married. He was required to turn in the paperwork to have me removed from ownership/responsibility but never sent the paperwork in. I had no idea he did not file the proper paper work and has been paying/renting the time share out all these years. So unfortunately I am stuck with the time share and need the fare market value in order to file my taxes per my accountant.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Kissimee Vacation Village at parkway
2 unit with an A & B that can be rented individually, 1 bedroom each with kitchen & living areas. The gentleman who does my taxes says I need fare market value in order file my 2019 taxes.

Very unlikely you will realize a capital gain on the sale of a timeshare, and a loss is not deductible, so FMV is going to be whatever you can sell it for. Its not going to be a taxable event for you since if it was rented you never received any of that money.

Have your tax guy read the advice article here, written by a CPA.

https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/income_taxes_and_timeshares_from_an_accountant.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
SmithOp, has given you a very important article to read and to share with your accountant from this website. However, I feel there are to many unknown issues for anyone here to help you. Your accountant should be familiar with losses and capital gains IMO.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
OP might get a decent basis to support estimating a fair market value by looking at what a Vacation Village at Parkway 2 BR lockout is going for at https://tug2.com/timeshare-classifi...rea&ResortArea=4&ResortGroup=12&ForSale=True#. These are not sales, of course, but show what people are willing to take for such a week (e.g., $5 in payment, while paying the closing costs of ~$200 and the 2020 maintenance fee of ~$792, for a total outlay of ~$987 to get rid of it). Of course, there's always TimeShare Nation, where the price paid by the acquirer, which is really a better measure of the fair market value is always $0. Right now they have about 25 listed at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Drg71NVXGz8jKbq8h9TAwLw1CxRCdLAZ1j8upwjTXic/.

For actual sales, eBay allows searching of closed or sold listings; I didn't look but would guess they would all be ~$1, but include closing costs.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Mouseowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sycamore Balsams Section

RIGHT

Crimsondoll

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you all so much I truly appreciate your help and will b speaking with my accountant next week Happy New Year God bless