• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lost my iPhone at work today

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I only noticed that my iPhone is gone when I was getting ready to leave work. I used it during the day. The only possibility was I left it in the restroom or someone took it from my desk while I was away.

I logged on to iCloud and found it miles away in Maryland in a residential area. A coworker found the address, identified the owner and found her in our company email directory. I remote locked the phone and talked to the police. I was told if I misplaced it, it was not stolen. They would not file a report for that. Apple helped me find the phone, but does not maintain a blacklist to track lost/stolen phones.

I am going to ask the company security tomorrow and see if they could help. What is my right if I misplaced my phone? I honestly do not know what happened to it.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You could send the coworker an email and ask it she could drop it off at your office by 8:30AM or would it be more convienent for corporate security to retrieve it from her at her office first thing in the AM.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You didn't 'misplace it' at a co-workers house in the next state! I suppose you could give the thief the opportunity to return it by simply having security back you up and confront him/her at work saying something like, 'The phone was tracked to your house, wanna give it back?' Or file charges in small claims court using the i-cloud info for evidence.

Good Luck!

Jim

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You may have misplaced it. But, if someone found it and didn't return it to security, at that point (based on my understanding) it becomes stolen. I'm really not so surprised at the response from the police, given that this is a small item to them, but you shouldn't be so generous. Save copies (PDF etc) of what you see re where the phone is for evidence.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Possible the co-worker bought it from another coworker that found it. I would just tread carefully.

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't know really know the person who owns the house. We found her in the company directory. We work for the Department of Homeland Security. I don't think the phone has been sold yet, at least not that fast at work. The phone is still on. That is how I could track it. My coworker tried to call my phone but no one picks up. He also sent a text message asking to person to contact him to locate the owner.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would suggest contacting security and give them the information that you have about the phones location. They may also ask you to get your HR department involved.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest you call the coworker and thank the co-worker for taking your phone home for safe keeping so it wasn't stolen while the office was closed or while the cleaning crew was there....I have left my phone at work a few times and always wished i had someone i worked with who could grab it and keep it safe for me overnight especially if i left it in the bathroom...You are LUCKY to have such caring people in your company

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Use the Find My iPhone app tomorrow to see if the person brings it back to work. If so, get nearby and call the number. When it rings, say "Now I know where my iPhone is!"

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest you call the coworker and thank the co-worker for taking your phone home for safe keeping so it wasn't stolen while the office was closed or while the cleaning crew was there....I have left my phone at work a few times and always wished i had someone i worked with who could grab it and keep it safe for me overnight especially if i left it in the bathroom...You are LUCKY to have such caring people in your company

Plus one for this suggestion....even if the person's intent was different, a nice call like this could embarrass her into returning it.

You could even offer to meet in the cafeteria in the AM and buy her some donuts :)

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Uh-oh...

We found her in the company directory. We work for the Department of Homeland Security.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't exactly get a warm and fuzzy feeling learning of petty thieves working within DHS and stealing from co-workers --- and while collecting a pay check from my (...and your) tax dollars.:(

joycapecod

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I don't exactly get a warm and fuzzy feeling learning of petty thieves working within DHS and stealing from co-workers --- and while collecting a pay check from my (...and your) tax dollars.:(

Sort of similar to TSA.

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is another thought here. Could this person have an iphone with the same case as yours and just put it in their pocket/pocketbook? I saw this happen at a hockey game - parent reaches into purse and pulls out "her" phone but when she goes to use it can see it isn't hers. Has a real WT? moment. Found the owner. Parent didn't realize that she already had her phone in purse. :ponder:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plus one for this suggestion....even if the person's intent was different, a nice call like this could embarrass her into returning it.

You could even offer to meet in the cafeteria in the AM and buy her some donuts :)

I tend to overdue giving the benefit of the doubt to others....Because i hope that if i were in the same situation, they would do it for me

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

People are people.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Sort of similar to TSA.

People are people.

Yes, but some people are entrusted with safeguarding us and I don't like the idea of them harming with one hand while protecting with the other. Which will it be when they're in the moment of having only one choice?

(I couldn't care less about their positions being funded by tax dollars - heck, pretty much everyone in any position is wasting the funds for that position in one way or another!)

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Any update on your phone?

mrpickle

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Ride

You are LUCKY to have such caring people in your company

If you come at it as a bold accusation, it just gets everyone defensive and the object gets destroyed!
If it is in a good way, it usually gets returned!

No sense backing someone into a corner right off the start!

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
My first reaction was to throttle the person in Maryland, but I'm so quick to judge. You rationally thinking, calmer-minded tuggers have some great ideas on how to resolve this in a 'saving face' way that doesn't inflame the situation. I've learned a lot on conflict management just from this thread.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Agree, I would also approach the situation giving them the benefit of the doubt / opportunity to do what is right. It is probably your best bet at getting it back.

My sister found a 3 diamond engagement ring in the shower / locker facility at her work. She put a sticky on the mirror, “if you lost jewelry, call to identify”. She was worried if she turned it in, it may never make it back to its owner.

I’m impressed the iPhone can track itself down, I didn’t realize that. I’d go with the overabundance of thank you’s coupled with being amazed that you found her (and how lucky you are). Kill ‘em with kindness and thanks.

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think I will get the phone back :(

I sent a message with alarm sound to my phone last night asking the person to return the phone to the security this morning. I lost the trace of the phone after that. I did get another location last night. But it was in an apartment building with three floors. So it is harder to figure out the occupants.

Any ways, the phone was not turned in. I call Federal Protective Service (DHS internal police) this morning and filed a report. The police came right away. He got the information and went to talk to the suspect. I talked to him later today and found that the person said she moved out in November. She still owns the house. She gave the officer the contact information of the current occupants. He is going to investigate more. I don't think he much to go on. If she plainly denies any involvement and the people living there never came to my work, what can he do? All I have is the print out from find my iPhone. I did ask the officer to find out if the person came to my building yesterday. She does not normally work here.

Went to At&T and got my old phone activated again. I asked if they block a person from using a reported stolen phone. They don't. They will simply give the thief a new SIM card. I know Apple does not care either. Amazon and BN do blacklist stolen eBook readers. Once a Kindle is marked stolen by the owner, it is pretty much a pdf reader, can't get any new books on it.

I will stay in touch with the police, but I really don't have too much hope on recovering my phone. Any suggestions?

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone picked up my son's Iphone after he carelessly laid it down in Home Depot. He sent a text from his other phone, and the thief texted back "Whats it worth to you to return the phone"?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have also ransomed a lost phone - the guy was a huffer who picked it up off the street. He had paint all over his face when I met him to get the phone, but he was harmless. In the short time he had my phone, he made a lot of calls, and I was afraid I was going to start getting calls from all his loser friends, but I didn't.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have also ransomed a lost phone - the guy was a huffer who picked it up off the street. He had paint all over his face when I met him to get the phone, but he was harmless. In the short time he had my phone, he made a lot of calls, and I was afraid I was going to start getting calls from all his loser friends, but I didn't.

Oh - he was pretty messed up when he called my house and asked for a reward and he scared my son to death!

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have found cell phones at least 4-5 times, and each time looked in the address book for a listing like "home" or "mom," called it, and arranged for the return.

It's really disappointing to hear about these creeps who don't return things or who want money for them. Boo, Hiss. :mad: :mad: :mad: