• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looks like HI in the near future!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
That's a great move.......finally something that makes practical sense. It helps the HI tourism and makes families happy.
They must be very careful to enforce the NEGATIVE TEST, though. Only problem is flying and relying on the safety in that.
Thx for posting.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Having a negative test with in 72 hours comes with inherent problems for our travel needs.
1) Cost associated with testing without medical need

2) Although a false negative is more likely , what would happen if the day you plan to leave you find out your positive .

VictorB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, tests are not readily available to everyone. CDC just report a huge batch received that were contaminated. Given the rise in cases and deaths in the US where beaches and restaurants were opened up, I suspect Hawaii's Governor will issue a retraction very soon.

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, tests are not readily available to everyone. CDC just report a huge batch received that were contaminated. Given the rise in cases and deaths in the US where beaches and restaurants were opened up, I suspect Hawaii's Governor will issue a retraction very soon.
I also wondered in light of Covid-19 resurgence and lack of testing, getting tests to go to hawaii seems wrong when we don’t have enough testing for those that need it. I’m wondering if that’s the reason the negotiations with CVS hasn’t been Finalized or announced yet.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sound liked a traveler must find someone, you can provide Covid-19 test results within 72 hours : plus have their hotel accommodation and their flight schedule ready to fly.

Also, the traveler, may need to have a Covid-19 test prior to booking this vacation to be on the safe side.

Problem, this may be a problem if you are booking one year to six(6) months out. IMO. "Only."

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Sound liked a traveler must find someone, you can provide Covid-19 test results within 72 hours : plus have their hotel accommodation and their flight schedule ready to fly.

Also, the traveler, may need to have a Covid-19 test prior to booking this vacation to be on the safe side.

Problem, this may be a problem if you are booking one year to six(6) months out. IMO. "Only."

I don't thought about testing a few weeks or month in advance, that would alert you to being asystematic, but i not sure it really buys you much. Obviously you would seek treatment if you showed positive. But at least right now that seems like a pretty narrow case where you would benefit.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't thought about testing a few weeks or month in advance, that would alert you to being asystematic, but i not sure it really buys you much. Obviously you would seek treatment if you showed positive. But at least right now that seems like a pretty narrow case where you would benefit.
Also most places won't test you if you aren't showing any symptoms.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also most places won't test you if you aren't showing any symptoms.
So, to receive a Covid-19 test you must lie.
Well how can you receive a test to travel to Hawaii, if you are not having any symptoms of COVID-19?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
So, to receive a Covid-19 test you must lie.
Well how can you receive a test to travel to Hawaii, if you are not having any symptoms of COVID-19?
I don't know much, all I know is what I've been reading. Supposedly Hawaii is going into some kind of partnership with CVS. Currently CVS Minute Clinics offer testing, but there is a questionnaire and it looks like in order to be tested you have to have symptoms. Also they say results in 2 to 4 days, but I had a friend where it took 6 days. So, again my opinion, is that the hope is that with this agreement CVS will speed up test results, and maybe allow people to be tested if they are traveling.

All of this right now would be too uncertain for me to want to plan a trip to Hawaii. Of course we're not planning on traveling anywhere through the end of this year. We're not even sure if we will plan a trip to Maui next March. We'll have to see how things go both here at home, and there.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been tested 3 times due to my job situation and the longest it's taken to get the result back was 2 days. On one of those occasions I had a swab and antibody test. When we've done them in the office they normally come back in 2 days but occasionally it's 3 days depending on when it's done during the day. Early on 6-7 days was not uncommon but those days appear to be gone.

There are locations where one can get the test done without any requirements but they may not be covered by insurance. But I think Aruba, and possibly HI, are requiring a specific test (per) which will limit one's options.

dannybaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Such a horrible time for Americans trying to travel. I honestly can’t give any great idea for Hawaii, we’re scheduled for five weeks in Hawaii in November.
I don’t see how I first find a place to get tested. Should I get a test to go on vacation when other people who may die if they don’t get a test? I personally don’t understand the humanity in getting a test that I don’t need to go on a vacation. So if I pay seven thousand dollars to go on a week vacation and I don’t get my test back before my departure date. If I contract the virus the day after my test or at the airport and arrive in Hawaii. What if the test shows negative and I’m positive this happens frequently.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Such a horrible time for Americans trying to travel. I honestly can’t give any great idea for Hawaii, we’re scheduled for five weeks in Hawaii in November.
I don’t see how I first find a place to get tested. Should I get a test to go on vacation when other people who may die if they don’t get a test? I personally don’t understand the humanity in getting a test that I don’t need to go on a vacation. So if I pay seven thousand dollars to go on a week vacation and I don’t get my test back before my departure date. If I contract the virus the day after my test or at the airport and arrive in Hawaii. What if the test shows negative and I’m positive this happens frequently.
Every community of any size should have some testing options. I'd call your Primary Care Physician and ask them the options they know about. LabCorp has a testing kit you can have sent to your home that does not require a physicians order. Some community testing options also don't require a physicians order. Now these may not be the options that will meet travel requirements which will almost certainly change between now and then. You'll have to decide whether to take the chances you've laid out. As you reference, it is not a perfect system but the only way I see to avoid the risk to yourself and others beyond the requirements is simply to not go. But the fact it's not a perfect system doesn't mean it's not a reasonable set of requirements. Of course this sets into place a cascade effect of missed vacation, what to do with the week or points, possible airline cancelations and other possible issues on the home and work fronts. All of which will ultimately cost you, and others, money.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I've been tested 3 times due to my job situation and the longest it's taken to get the result back was 2 days. On one of those occasions I had a swab and antibody test. When we've done them in the office they normally come back in 2 days but occasionally it's 3 days depending on when it's done during the day. Early on 6-7 days was not uncommon but those days appear to be gone.
It wasn't all that long ago when Arkansas was in pretty good shape in terms of processing tests within a 24-48 hour period but as the state has expanded testing, the DOH and the commercial lab partners are experiencing difficulty in keeping up with the increased number of tests. What used to be 24-48 hours has now turned into 5-7 days.

I suspect other states may be experiencing similar throughput issues.

dannybaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter has been waiting five days currently in Nevada. She was told two days. it would be great if Cvs and Hawaii had something worked out.

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
Hawaii's new policy isn't infalible because the PCR test has it's own limitations I find this link from the Texas Dept of Health that has the best explanation I've seen between the pros/cons of PCR test, antigen test, and antibody ( Serology ) test. It's in PDF form with foot notes about types of immunity.

A clear, readable explanation that confers Covid context if not rock solid answers. In any case folks can travel informed & make their own decisions.

A negative PCR test simply means the virus is not present on that testing day.

Potential worry here is the incubation period before one might test positive could be 7-10 days or more so Hawaii itself gambles a bit. Then again, folks aren't exactly flocking to Hawaii so it could be a reasonable idea for Hawaii to feel it can manage things.

There is no absolute definitive test for Covid as much of the process is simply catch-up. But this is more an affirmation of how the Science, clinical, societal & individual domains interact.

Enjoy Hawaii. We came home from Hawaii early March when Life in America was still normal.

We live in northern AZ and our rural county has the lowest number of infections save for a couple of sparsely populated counties. We too see a spike in cases around us, but AZ is doing OK despite the younger folks and others who let their guard down. Our life has been less stressful than the more densely populated regions of America.

Easy to understand why people want to get out and move on with their lives. We've got expiring points that we're trying use before end of year. In our case, we won't fly and instead search for something drivable.

travel safe,

Barry

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Yes, you will have to stay informed. The Governor is still deciding on how to move forward and I would be surprised if plans change.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
I work in long term care and was talking to our infection control nurse and also listened to a physician who has studied Covid in great deal. These tests only speak to a moment in time when the individual is tested. Also, the common cold is a corona virus so if a person has the cold virus it could cause a false positive. Also the physician stated that the virus has mutated since it first appeared and as it mutates viruses generally get weaker. That would be in line with what we see as lots of positive cases but the death rate is low and the hospitals are able to handle anyone who needs that level of care. Physicians treating covid now are also better equipped with appropriate treatment measures and experience on how best to care with the more severe cases. The focus should be quarantine the sick and protect the vulnerable.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I work in long term care and was talking to our infection control nurse and also listened to a physician who has studied Covid in great deal. These tests only speak to a moment in time when the individual is tested. Also, the common cold is a corona virus so if a person has the cold virus it could cause a false positive. Also the physician stated that the virus has mutated since it first appeared and as it mutates viruses generally get weaker. That would be in line with what we see as lots of positive cases but the death rate is low and the hospitals are able to handle anyone who needs that level of care. Physicians treating covid now are also better equipped with appropriate treatment measures and experience on how best to care with the more severe cases. The focus should be quarantine the sick and protect the vulnerable.
I am a bit confused. Your last statement is to quarantine the sick........ Fine, I agree. But if the tests aren't viable how do you know who the sick are?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently Hawaii *is* opening on Aug 1st and the requirement has been changed from a PCR test to a NAAT test. It is gohawaii...so I'm not 100% sure...but it is unlikely they would be wrong about this.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Or maybe they are wrong. KHON has nothing beyond 'Gov and Mayors met today to discuss...'

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently Hawaii *is* opening on Aug 1st and the requirement has been changed from a PCR test to a NAAT test. It is gohawaii...so I'm not 100% sure...but it is unlikely they would be wrong about this.

I'm not sure what this means for those planning travel to Hawaii. Are NAAT test results easier to obtain than the PCR tests? Do they make it easier for travelers to meet the 72 hour requirement? Will negative PCR test results also be accepted? Just trying to figure out what this means.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
I am a bit confused. Your last statement is to quarantine the sick........ Fine, I agree. But if the tests aren't viable how do you know who the sick are?
First of all, people with any symptoms should stay home and away from other people especially those at risk. And those who are vulnerable-older people and those with the identified risk factors need to determine the measures they need to take to minimize their risk and maximize their own health and immune response if they are exposed. And we all can practice social distancing and appropriate use of masks. Don’t forget hand washing which seems to have lost its focus since everyone has become obsessed with wearing masks all the time. Handwashing and keeping your hands away from eyes, nose and mouth are both very important.
As far as knowing who is sick most people with covid do have symptoms. True, there may be people who asymptomatic but there is some question how much they are actually spreading the virus. Most people get the virus from someone who actually has symptoms of covid. And usually from someone they are in close contact with. I’ve been following our county health department and that’s what our director is reporting based on their contact tracing. It’s not being spread through casual contact like when doing your grocery shopping. That being said I do understand the concerns people have when traveling and when it comes to states deciding how and when to open.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what this means for those planning travel to Hawaii. Are NAAT test results easier to obtain than the PCR tests? Do they make it easier for travelers to meet the 72 hour requirement? Will negative PCR test results also be accepted? Just trying to figure out what this means.
PCR ( polymerase chain reaction ) is a type of NAAT (nucleic acid amplification test).