• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking to buy for Westin Riverfront

sherakay

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs
We are looking to buy resale 81k SO. I have read for days and hours on end about how to make this happen and am scouring for a Westin Kierland 1BD premium platinum or Vistana Villas 2BD NON-lockoff platinum in order to buy in and keep maintenance fees as low as possible.

But my main concern is how difficult would it be to get certain resorts that we would really want to use at the 8 month mark? Specifically:

a) Kierland week 39

b) Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas week 47/48 (Thanksgiving) or week 7 (President's Day)

or c) Sheraton Steamboat Resort week 7 (President's Day) or week 14

Thanks!

Kujayhawks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin Riverfront is difficult in the ski season yet very available in the summer. I booked over July 4th last year for 6 nights (2 rooms). Kierland should be available at week 39 with a little flexibility. Steamboat is a better bet for ski season but will eat up Star Option points.

sherakay

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs
Westin Riverfront is difficult in the ski season yet very available in the summer. I booked over July 4th last year for 6 nights (2 rooms). Kierland should be available at week 39 with a little flexibility. Steamboat is a better bet for ski season but will eat up Star Option points.

We would only be looking to go to Colorado for ski season as hubby is a fanatic about skiing. Riverfront and Steamboat seem to both be 81,000 SO for a week in a 1BR premium. It's just us and 2 little kids for now.

When you say flexibility for Kierland do you mean dates or length of stay? We would want to stay for at least 4-5 days and it would have to cover 9/28 as that is our wedding anniversary.

Kujayhawks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you would be fine at Kierland. Westin riverfront would take maximum flexibility for the entire ski season

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
We would only be looking to go to Colorado for ski season as hubby is a fanatic about skiing. Riverfront and Steamboat seem to both be 81,000 SO for a week in a 1BR premium. It's just us and 2 little kids for now.

When you say flexibility for Kierland do you mean dates or length of stay? We would want to stay for at least 4-5 days and it would have to cover 9/28 as that is our wedding anniversary.
Don’t plan on Westin riverfront...... especially a holiday week

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are unlikely to ever be able to trade into Westin Riverfront President’s Day week ... and with having to buy the most expensive ski passes to be able to ski that week I would never go at that time.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We are looking to buy resale 81k SO. I have read for days and hours on end about how to make this happen and am scouring for a Westin Kierland 1BD premium platinum or Vistana Villas 2BD NON-lockoff platinum in order to buy in and keep maintenance fees as low as possible.

But my main concern is how difficult would it be to get certain resorts that we would really want to use at the 8 month mark? Specifically:

a) Kierland week 39

b) Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas week 47/48 (Thanksgiving) or week 7 (President's Day)

or c) Sheraton Steamboat Resort week 7 (President's Day) or week 14

Thanks!

Westin Riverfront is a beautiful resort and I imagine you would need to own there to get a reservation during high demand times. Of course that means higher fees, but it may be worth it if it enables you to enjoy vacations there when you want to.

Best regards.

Mike

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
I go to the Westin Riverfront often. I managed to get a 1 BR next President’s Day week and another shorter stay in January with my Flex. But there is not much Flex inventory even at 12 months. There are only 36 total lock off two bedroom units. I have reasonable luck getting in with SOs in December or April. Otherwise you can pretty much forget about it in ski season.

While the not as handy or nice as the Westin, the Sheraton Mountain Vista is less than a 5 minute walk away and has pretty good availability with StarOptions.

And if you want to ski more than about 5 days you should buy an Epic Pass. Unfortunately Steamboat is on Ikon, because it is pretty easy to go there with SOs as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
What is your secret to WRF very available in summer? I have been trying to get a 2BR there any night in July with zero luck... only studios pop up now and then.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Are you stating Westin Riverfront is "very available in the summer" for a StarOption reservation made at the 8-month mark?

sherakay

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs
You are unlikely to ever be able to trade into Westin Riverfront President’s Day week ... and with having to buy the most expensive ski passes to be able to ski that week I would never go at that time.
Thank you for your honesty. My daughter goes into Kindergarten this year so I was hoping on being able to schedule trips around their planned no-school days, but it looks like we will just have to pull her out for those days we want to travel.

A little curious how many days of school a kid can get excused without them calling the truancy police on me....

sherakay

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs
I go to the Westin Riverfront often. I managed to get a 1 BR next President’s Day week and another shorter stay in January with my Flex. But there is not much Flex inventory even at 12 months. There are only 36 total lock off two bedroom units. I have reasonable luck getting in with SOs in December or April. Otherwise you can pretty much forget about it in ski season.

While the not as handy or nice as the Westin, the Sheraton Mountain Vista is less than a 5 minute walk away and has pretty good availability with StarOptions.

And if you want to ski more than about 5 days you should buy an Epic Pass. Unfortunately Steamboat is on Ikon, because it is pretty easy to go there with SOs as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That actually works out great! We live in Tacoma and hubby already buys an Icon pass every year as he's always at Crystal Mountain or Steven's Pass. I'm starting to think that we'll have to let Riverfront plans go and focus more on Steamboat instead. Thanks so much!

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
That actually works out great! We live in Tacoma and hubby already buys an Icon pass every year as he's always at Crystal Mountain or Steven's Pass. I'm starting to think that we'll have to let Riverfront plans go and focus more on Steamboat instead. Thanks so much!

That’s the way to go then, as the Steamboat Sheraton is in a great location. The only disadvantage is that the weekends are more crowded than at Beaver Creek. But weekdays are great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
I believe SMV and Steamboat are in Sheraton Flex which gives a 12-mo booking window.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I believe SMV and Steamboat are in Sheraton Flex which gives a 12-mo booking window.

Yes, both Sheraton Mountain Vista and Sheraton Steamboat are in Sheraton Flex.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Just a caution for summer visits...I realize this conversation is on winter season...Sheration Mountain Vista in Colorado/Vail/Avon is NOT air conditioned and even in the Rocky Mountains in summer we found it at times uncomfortably hot in our villa. The Westin RiverFront does have A/C by comparison.

Kujayhawks

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is your secret to WRF very available in summer? I have been trying to get a 2BR there any night in July with zero luck... only studios pop up now and then.
I settled for two studios. One for the two teenagers and one for us. They were across the hall from each other, of course the adult room view was the Mountain View!

Kujayhawks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I settled for two studios. One for the two teenagers and one for us. They were across the hall from each other, of course the adult room view was the Mountain View!
And I might add it took about 45 days of checking back to the website but in the end it all worked. But it was accomplished in stages.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
And I might add it took about 45 days of checking back to the website but in the end it all worked. But it was accomplished in stages.

That's quite the liberal definition of "very available in the summer". ;)

Kujayhawks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I was after a 5 night stay for four adults over July 4th. If I would have been after a three day weekend or mid week with one room it would have been much easier. Having said, let’s not forget that it was summer 2020 and Covid was keeping folks home. So, it might be much more difficult as folks return to traveling.