• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking into possible purchase.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Dean if you plan to buy to return every year you need to test drive.
But do you really want to go to the same place every year? Does the family? Will it change as the kids get older- my experience is yes (youngest is about to graduate college!).
Because if you are not planning to stay your ownership most years you may as well buy a trader with lower maintenance fees.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Dean if you plan to buy to return every year you need to test drive.
But do you really want to go to the same place every year? Does the family? Will it change as the kids get older- my experience is yes (youngest is about to graduate college!).
Because if you are not planning to stay your ownership most years you may as well buy a trader with lower maintenance fees.
I'd agree in general but they're looking specifically at Spring break and a 2BR for this issue which makes trading more risky. Even if they had a good trader situation and listed all 3 locations I'm not sure they could consistently get what they needed. Points resale would be another option maybe with renting points along with owning a smaller number of points. They certainly could try with a well placed trader and kick the can down the road for a few years then reevaluate. Their other focus is summer (late June/July) Beach north of FL like HHI which I also don't think is a good option for using a trader.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
I would probably rule out the Aruba properties if you're looking for more laid back. Renting first is a good idea also. Another thing you could do is search this forum and you will find plenty of info and opinions on the places you are considering.

The nice thought about Aruba is the long beach to walk. We enjoyed that on our HHI trip. The down side I think is that it's a flat desert island.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, my next problem is that I've not been to any of these places. How do you decide between Frenchman on St Thomas, the place on St Kitts, or either place in Aruba? They all have the beach island getaway concept we are looking for. All different islands and islands we have yet to be to. All look nice. Aruba appears at least to be a busier area (we prefer less busy if possible) but I know many people love Aruba. All three appear to be similar for flights with one stop and around 7-9 hrs depending on layover with St Thomas being a bit higher priced.

One thing you may want to consider is the flight costs and time to reach these island destinations. Some think of it as easy, but flying to St. Kitts takes a lot of time and a lot of money (or air miles).

Personally? You may want to consider easy to reach beach destinations such as Marriott's Crystal Shores (Marco Island) or Marriott's Oceana Palms (near West Palm Beach) in Florida. Also keep in mind that these can be accessed via automobile (without the absolute need to fly).

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd agree in general but they're looking specifically at Spring break and a 2BR for this issue which makes trading more risky. Even if they had a good trader situation and listed all 3 locations I'm not sure they could consistently get what they needed. Points resale would be another option maybe with renting points along with owning a smaller number of points. They certainly could try with a well placed trader and kick the can down the road for a few years then reevaluate. Their other focus is summer (late June/July) Beach north of FL like HHI which I also don't think is a good option for using a trader.
I agree certainly not the easiest trades- but I have gotten Aruba for April break with my lowly old Harbour lake by requesting far in advance, and we traded to someplace warm most April breaks.
My experience ( which I recognize may be different for others) is as the kids get older they want to go new places, bring friends and have some say in where they vacation and so the planned intentions may not pan out.
But if they can afford the maintenance on St. Thomas, etc. and find a good resale that is probably the best bet.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree certainly not the easiest trades- but I have gotten Aruba for April break with my lowly old Harbour lake by requesting far in advance, and we traded to someplace warm most April breaks.
My experience ( which I recognize may be different for others) is as the kids get older they want to go new places, bring friends and have some say in where they vacation and so the planned intentions may not pan out.
But if they can afford the maintenance on St. Thomas, etc. and find a good resale that is probably the best bet.
The event week for spring break, as for Aruba SC, will be far more difficult than April I'm sure. If it coincides buying the spring break week at ASC will be more but would guarantee availability if that week matches their usual calendar. Certainly looking at a 3 BR , esp for St. Kitt's or FC would be an option and give them volume flexibility.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
The event week for spring break, as for Aruba SC, will be far more difficult than April I'm sure. If it coincides buying the spring break week at ASC will be more but would guarantee availability if that week matches their usual calendar. Certainly looking at a 3 BR , esp for St. Kitt's or FC would be an option and give them volume flexibility.
Yes, everyone’s school spring break is different too so it’s definitely a personal evaluation if buying to use or looking at trading power.

I‘m no expert and I certainly don’t insist my way is the best way for everyone. I just comment here because I’ve read posts on these boards where people don’t understand interval or feel it won’t work or it’s a huge hassle and I have had nothing but success from my own point of view. Also, as a recent empty nester I like to point out that time flies and things change and in 4 years OP’s 14 yo will be off to college and when is that break and will they align, etc. and there might need to be exchanging.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, everyone’s school spring break is different too so it’s definitely a personal evaluation if buying to use or looking at trading power.

I‘m no expert and I certainly don’t insist my way is the best way for everyone. I just comment here because I’m read posts on these boards where people don’t understand interval or feel it won’t work or it’s a huge hassle and I have had nothing but success from my own point of view. Also, as a recent empty nester I like to point out that time flies and things change and in 4 years OP’s 14 yo will be off to college and when is that break and will they align, etc. and there might need to be exchanging.
Absolutely. Us batting these things around will help the OP, anyone else reading and truthfully we all frequently learn something from such discussions. I'm a big fan of planning 5-10 years down the road and not worrying much about next year nearly as much. I'm not a big fan of those new to the system buying mostly to trade until/unless they have a thorough and in depth knowledge of the ins/outs of doing so, esp for options that are likely to be difficult to almost impossible. One of my mantras in timeshares is "things change". And they do so with each resort, the system and our personal circumstances.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
Our spring break is the week leading upto and ending on Easter. It does look like Frenchman or Aruba both trade fairly well if we want to try other locations.

EDIT: I have no idea what we will do when one is in HS and one in college as they will definitely be on different weeks.

Last edited:

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Absolutely. Us batting these things around will help the OP, anyone else reading and truthfully we all frequently learn something from such discussions. I'm a big fan of planning 5-10 years down the road and not worrying much about next year nearly as much. I'm not a big fan of those new to the system buying mostly to trade until/unless they have a thorough and in depth knowledge of the ins/outs of doing so, esp for options that are likely to be difficult to almost impossible. One of my mantras in timeshares is "things change". And they do so with each resort, the system and our personal circumstances.
Kudos to Dean and his knowledge, as I have learned so much from his posts. That's why I wanted a budget figure from the OP. Key here is $15K initial buy in plus ongoing MF's what is the optimal place(s) to purchase and commit to given the OP information provided. Unfortunately I don't have an answer at this time. I do like the test before you buy....way cheaper than committing yourself to something you may regret. Disclaimer I am biased to Marriott Timeshares!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kudos to Dean and his knowledge, as I have learned so much from his posts. That's why I wanted a budget figure from the OP. Key here is $15K initial buy in plus ongoing MF's what is the optimal place(s) to purchase and commit to given the OP information provided. Unfortunately I don't have an answer at this time. I do like the test before you buy....way cheaper than committing yourself to something you may regret. Disclaimer I am biased to Marriott Timeshares!
Thanks but I think these things are a group effort and we all learn from each other. I own DVC, Bluegreen and MVC all with volume and use them each for what they work best for in my situation.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
Question: The 13 month booking policy is only if you own two weeks AND you are booking the two weeks in a consecutive week booking? So, just owning two weeks at different resorts and time frames does not get you the 13 months?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question: The 13 month booking policy is only if you own two weeks AND you are booking the two weeks in a consecutive week booking? So, just owning two weeks at different resorts and time frames does not get you the 13 months?
Correct, consecutive or concurrent bookings from different weeks. Locking off and reserving the individual components does not qualify otherwise.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

The weeks can be from different resorts. But they have to be consecutive or concurrent.

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried to talk to MVC directly to get some information but they need my wife and I both on the line and that is tough timing wise. I was also hoping to have some type of incentive discounted vacation offer where you sit in a presentation but they only offered Bonvoy points. We collect Bonvoy but not enough to be that useful. We mostly collect Chase points and use those for vacations (including the last Omni Hilton Head trip).
I too have been looking at the MVC system and just returned from HHI on one of the discounted vacations. I paid $299 for 4 days/3nights, but we got that deal in Sept 2019 for a 2020 vacation that was bumped to 2021 due to pandemic. The sales lady said they don't offer it anymore. She offered us an Encore package to come back again. Those prices varied from $995 to $1595 for 5 day/4nights and we could get either 50k bonvoy points or $300 prepaid VISA. Not as nice as $299, but depending on the location it might still be valuable. Aruba was on the list of destinations available, but it was for a "guestroom". She said they would extend this offer to our friends and family. Would you like her name/number?

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct, consecutive or concurrent bookings from different weeks. Locking off and reserving the individual components does not qualify otherwise.
Just to be clear you can lock off different resorts for 13 month. So Studio at Resort A and Studio at Resort B, just not Studio at Resort A and Master at Resort A.
And also remember that if you work it right it is 13 month and 1 week. Say you want Week 14. Book Week 13 and also Week 14 at Week 13 and thirteen months.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear you can lock off different resorts for 13 month. So Studio at Resort A and Studio at Resort B, just not Studio at Resort A and Master at Resort A.
And also remember that if you work it right it is 13 month and 1 week. Say you want Week 14. Book Week 13 and also Week 14 at Week 13 and thirteen months.
I booked July HHI a few weeks ago.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
If I already own a week and bought points resale would that achieve the same result as buying hybrid from the developer? Or would I lose any benefits?

If your week is enrolled in the Destination Club and you buy resale points. That is a hybrid. There are no loss of benefits because resale points are the same as points sold by Marriott. The extra $3.00/point you pay to Marriott for your resale points gives you full entry of the points just like they were bought from Marriott.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I already own a week and bought points resale would that achieve the same result as buying hybrid from the developer? Or would I lose any benefits?

I may have missed something, but there is one difference. You already own an enrolled week or an unenrolled week? If the latter, then, there is a difference though not necessarily a big difference. If you bought a hybrid package (or just points) from MVCI, it is possible that might qualify you to enroll your already owned week.

OTOH, your week may be old enough to enable enrollment without any purchase, in which case the answer is there is no difference.

I own plenty of resale points and have lost nothing vs MVCI purchased points. They have always behaved the same for me.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I may have missed something, but there is one difference. You already own an enrolled week or an unenrolled week? If the latter, then, there is a difference though not necessarily a big difference. If you bought a hybrid package (or just points) from MVCI, it is possible that might qualify you to enroll your already owned week.

OTOH, your week may be old enough to enable enrollment without any purchase, in which case the answer is there is no difference.

I own plenty of resale points and have lost nothing vs MVCI purchased points. They have always behaved the same for me.

On another thread he said many years ago he paid $1495 to enroll the week.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
On another thread he said many years ago he paid $1495 to enroll the week.

Yeah, so, not cross-referencing, lol. Thanks for clarifying. Since he has an enrolled week, resale points are identical to developer points (other than price). Of course, not the same as a hybrid since that allows weeks usage or points usage. But from a points view, again, identical. A hybrid merely has the potential to lower (from a purely points view) cost per point, it will still be higher than resale in almost any case. Yes, there's an edge case here and there (like one of mine).

DJmonkey

Reaction score

The current week I own was enrolled a few years back.

DJmonkey

Reaction score
If your week is enrolled in the Destination Club and you buy resale points. That is a hybrid. There are no loss of benefits because resale points are the same as points sold by Marriott. The extra $3.00/point you pay to Marriott for your resale points gives you full entry of the points just like they were bought from Marriott.
Do I need to enroll the resale points or is there a way to use them without enrollment? I doubt it but just curious. I think the current enrollment fee is up to $750 per beneficial interest.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Do I need to enroll the resale points or is there a way to use them without enrollment? I doubt it but just curious. I think the current enrollment fee is up to $750 per beneficial interest.

When you buy the resale points, they will have all of the benefits of points bought through Marriott. They will be enrolled after you go through the escrow process and close on the points. Your additional $3.00 per point that you will pay to Marriott will be your enrollment fee.