• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking into possible purchase.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It's very helpful. A lot of different ways to go. I'm still leaning to a resale week as I can get one at a great resort for a couple/few thousand. At that price it isn't a big loss if we can use it as effectively as we want. At $35-45,000, I'd be a bit more displeased if it didn't work as we wanted.

EDIT to add: My wife is more in favor of points I think. She likes the idea of going somewhere different each time.
Pleae tell your wife I go someplace different every year by exchanging my week on interval.
We’ve rarely been to the same place twice except Orlando when the kids were little.
In my hands I have found it easier to book with points, just often more costly. Your experience may vary.
Good luck.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It's very helpful. A lot of different ways to go. I'm still leaning to a resale week as I can get one at a great resort for a couple/few thousand. At that price it isn't a big loss if we can use it as effectively as we want. At $35-45,000, I'd be a bit more displeased if it didn't work as we wanted.

EDIT to add: My wife is more in favor of points I think. She likes the idea of going somewhere different each time.

To add to what Pamplemousse said, we also go somewhere different every year. We've owned over 20 years, and, I doubt there has been a single year where we didn't go to at least one place we had not been before. This includes international. Owning a resale week does not stop you from doing so. We use both points and weeks as they each have different strong points. Your resale week will likely be able to be enrolled one day should that prove desirable for you. You can buy points later, resale points, as well. But I'd start with a resale week, learn about it, and then decide if more of anything makes sense for you. It's a great way to get your feet wet.

We've been to more than 50% of all MVCI resorts, we're adding 3 new to us ones this year. Most of that was done using owned weeks.

Last edited:

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
Okay, back on this idea.

We just got back from a trip to WDW using our DVC points and decided we need more points. We are going to buy more DVC WDW points, not sure yet but we are thinking about buying Boardwalk Villas so we can get Food and Wine weeks. But, our plan is to alternate between an annual trip to WDW and a trip to HHI. We usually do two trips per year so one year we will do WDW one week and either a beach or cruise the other. The next we would do HHI and either a beach or cruise, etc.

The question is where to buy for HHI. We can get DVC points for a 2 bedroom every other year at their HHI villas for around $12,500 with annual fees of $1680. Plus is that we like the Disney bubble and we could pool our DVC points for other uses in years we didn't want to go to HHI. The negative is that DVC has limited other properties outside of WDW. Also the DVC HHI resort only has very limited food options on site and the rooms are not at the beach even though there is a nice beach house with pool.

MGO seems like a nice option, although I've not visited. It's right on the beach, it gives us access to MVC properties if we want to go elsewhere. Negative is that although it has food/bar on site it appears to be seasonal, also no lifeguards which we like when visiting DVC pools. Maybe most HHI options just are not big for on site food/drinks. I would want a platinum week for summer use so it seems the cost would be around $12-15,000 and fees of around $1,500. But that is for a week every years vs DVC points would provide me enough for every other year. That would mean every other year at MGO I could trade for a trip elsewhere.

I've been trying to look into the Hilton next to MGO and it looks nice as well. But, Hilton has less resorts in areas were would want to visit. They do have plenty in Mexico, we have never been just because there are many other islands that have less risk than Mexico (yes I know a lot of people go to Mexico with no problems).

MVC we would like to tryout St Thomas, St John, Aruba, Hawaii. Part of our vacation plan is a trip to Hawaii after our oldest graduates high school and the plan is to use DVC for 5 nights at Aulani and do 5 nights on a different island either paying cash or perhaps other timeshare.

Based on that update, what would you suggest to do or not to do?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, back on this idea.

We just got back from a trip to WDW using our DVC points and decided we need more points. We are going to buy more DVC WDW points, not sure yet but we are thinking about buying Boardwalk Villas so we can get Food and Wine weeks. But, our plan is to alternate between an annual trip to WDW and a trip to HHI. We usually do two trips per year so one year we will do WDW one week and either a beach or cruise the other. The next we would do HHI and either a beach or cruise, etc.

The question is where to buy for HHI. We can get DVC points for a 2 bedroom every other year at their HHI villas for around $12,500 with annual fees of $1680. Plus is that we like the Disney bubble and we could pool our DVC points for other uses in years we didn't want to go to HHI. The negative is that DVC has limited other properties outside of WDW. Also the DVC HHI resort only has very limited food options on site and the rooms are not at the beach even though there is a nice beach house with pool.

MGO seems like a nice option, although I've not visited. It's right on the beach, it gives us access to MVC properties if we want to go elsewhere. Negative is that although it has food/bar on site it appears to be seasonal, also no lifeguards which we like when visiting DVC pools. Maybe most HHI options just are not big for on site food/drinks. I would want a platinum week for summer use so it seems the cost would be around $12-15,000 and fees of around $1,500. But that is for a week every years vs DVC points would provide me enough for every other year. That would mean every other year at MGO I could trade for a trip elsewhere.

I've been trying to look into the Hilton next to MGO and it looks nice as well. But, Hilton has less resorts in areas were would want to visit. They do have plenty in Mexico, we have never been just because there are many other islands that have less risk than Mexico (yes I know a lot of people go to Mexico with no problems).

MVC we would like to tryout St Thomas, St John, Aruba, Hawaii. Part of our vacation plan is a trip to Hawaii after our oldest graduates high school and the plan is to use DVC for 5 nights at Aulani and do 5 nights on a different island either paying cash or perhaps other timeshare.

If you'll use it I'd buy Grande Ocean, Barony or Surfwatch. If you travel early to mid June, be aware the calendars are different for GO vs the other 2. Just buy there for direct use, not for points in general for MVC if that's the only volume you need.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Okay, back on this idea.

I own at Marriott Grande Ocean and can attest that it is an amazing resort. Last year, we brought our friends who own DVC, and they loved it. They told me they preferred it to DVC Hilton Head (where they've vacationed a couple times), mainly because it is directly oceanfront, the location is better, and the bikepath is right outside SeaPines and you get a free pass. My kids love the several different pools and hot tubs at MGO.

[Moderator Note: Ad-like content removed. Note this is the sort of comment that should be sent in a private message - click on "Start Conversation" in the box that comes up when you hover over the User Name of the person you're quoting. ;)] <-- SueDonJ

Last edited by a moderator:

dan_hoog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for any help. Edited for more detail.

I've been happy for many years with weeks, one from Marriott and two resale weeks. These have generally worked as expected (good units, high demand locations and seasons; very easy to use or rent out on redweek if we want - about 1/3 of the time).

We are long-term planners, so locking in vacations 12-15 months ahead of time is fine. I doubt it works well if you need flexibility.

We purchased points a couple years ago and had a vacation aborted due to Covid. Now, in my opinion, the points system is desperately over-committed. The availability is virtually nil with no end in sight. I also believe they have sold far more points than can be reliably serviced by the available inventory (including net of trades, point conversions, etc.). They may be compliant with the letter of the points docs, and assume they are, but the spirit of practical availability and vacation opportunity is in scam territory to me.

In other words, I wouldn't consider any MVC points purchases, even used, and would avoid most weeks given trends I've seen.

It is really disappointing to give this opinion, since we've been a believer and generally satisfied user for so long. There are good options (e.g., redweek) to rent timeshares when/where you want to go. You pay for each week but don't need to make a long term commitment. They offer escrow-like processing now, so renting is pretty safe for all parties.

That's all. Good luck in your decision.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
As a Disney fanatic myself, I loved Disney's Hilton Head and found it to be extremely comfortable and very much like Old Key West in the feel of the unit. We were very lucky to get an exchange via RCI. We own Disney points, but the exchange was cheaper for us. What a great time we had, and I loved the rocking chairs on the deck. But it wasn't like Disney. No characters, no Disney anything, except maybe the store that sold Disney merchandise, and it was a tiny store.

Then we stayed at Marriott's Barony and I was quite taken by that experience. I loved it so much that I looked into buying back then. It's been over six years ago and I stopped looking temporarily. Now I am considering it again. We lucked into an oceanfront unit on a top floor via exchange.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
My boys are older (30 and 33) but my wife works in a school so I have been tied to a school schedule since my first timeshare resale purchase in 1996 (they were 5 and 8). Summer, winter/spring breaks and Christmas tend to be peak travel for air fare and high demand for trading/ exchanging. We are a beach family and and continue this even today when schedules permit and we travels as a family. Over the years we traveled outside of timeshares so a bridge between the two worlds were important to us. One last point, between the junior year in HS until college graduation, my wife and I became the boring dopey parents that were too boring to travel. Translation, it was too much fun being home with friends when we went away. It is amazing how smart and how much fun we became after they started funding their own vacations when done so outside the family travel. I hope it doesn't happen but if it does, you are not that far away.

Starting point, you can see yourself going to one location every few years., you enjoy beach and you are tied to peak. You need to buy premium resale week. If that location you can see yourself going to every few years is Hilton Head, I would suggest the Grande Ocean. Great location (near Sea Pines with access to Sea Pines), on the beach and great pools. It trades well into other high demand locations. You can get it at a reasonable cost. I just purchased one for $9,400. The maintenance fee is not too bad (abut 1600).

You are going to need maximum flexibility because of your peak travel requirement. Some people believe points do that and I won't disagree but cash does it better. The Grande Ocean can be rented for between 2700 and 3000. You can avoid trading all together and use the cash to rent where you wan to go. You can also use the cash to travel outside of timeshare. This was my bridge between the two worlds. If it is another beach location that you want to go to instead of Hilton Head, great. Just find one that rents well, trades well, and a reasonable cost and MF. Aruba, St Kitts and Frenchman Cove have high MFs and they are easy trades when it is not the winter.

I also purchased a pure trader in 1995 and still have one today. While the actually resort I owned has changed,, the way I use it hasn't. A trader is a resort that I will never go to, I got at a inexpensive price, has a reasonable MF and is a platinum week that trades well. 95% of the time I trade, I trade into Marriott's only. The trader I have is a Grande Chateau but there are other good traders that people can recommend. So since you have are an experienced timeshare owner, you can minimize your investment and go this route. I have traded my Grand Chateau for Aruba during the summer, Frenchman Cove April, Grande Ocean summer, Oceanwatch during Easter to name a few. I just picked up a Grand Chateau 3 bedroom for 3500. You can trade it as a 3 bedroom or get two trades, one as a 2 bedroom and one as a 1 bedroom.

I think you have a lot of options but do nothing until you learn Marriott and doing what you are doing. Read and ask questions. Good luck.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
As a Disney fanatic myself, I loved Disney's Hilton Head and found it to be extremely comfortable and very much like Old Key West in the feel of the unit. We were very lucky to get an exchange via RCI. We own Disney points, but the exchange was cheaper for us. What a great time we had, and I loved the rocking chairs on the deck. But it wasn't like Disney. No characters, no Disney anything, except maybe the store that sold Disney merchandise, and it was a tiny store.

Then we stayed at Marriott's Barony and I was quite taken by that experience. I loved it so much that I looked into buying back then. It's been over six years ago and I stopped looking temporarily. Now I am considering it again. We lucked into an oceanfront unit on a top floor via exchange.

How do you compare the two? Did the fact that Disney HHI was not on the water make it less enjoyable? When we were at the Omni this spring we spent all of our time either in the pool, walking the beach, or out to eat. My concern with Disney is that you need to get to the beach house and that the food service is very limited.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Figure out which islands you want to go to. I’d prefer St. John over st Thomas so I’d buy WSJ points which would give you the ability to book at 12 months. Another option is the ever expensive harborside resort at Atlantis. Although renting may be a cheaper option than owning at that resort. If you want Marriott Caribbean, I’d go with a week at MSU. Im sure when you don’t want to go to Aruba, you’ll get great trades in interval via MVC preference and then Vistana priority.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you compare the two? Did the fact that Disney HHI was not on the water make it less enjoyable? When we were at the Omni this spring we spent all of our time either in the pool, walking the beach, or out to eat. My concern with Disney is that you need to get to the beach house and that the food service is very limited.
We own DVC and much prefer the 3 Marriott's I mentioned to the DVC resort partly because of location. It'll also be easier to reserve for summer for the Marriott's but the Marriott's only have 2 BR (plus 3 BR units at Surfwatch and 1 3BR at Monarch). If you only need a 1 BR or studio then it makes DVC the better choice IMO.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
We can fit in a 1 bed, but prefer 2 bedrooms. But, DVC HHI is more expensive than MGO at a cost somewhere around $24k for enough points for a 2 bedroom every year. I'd only buy half that amount and go every other year. Or buy a week at MGO and trade every other year in order to stay someplace else.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We can fit in a 1 bed, but prefer 2 bedrooms. But, DVC HHI is more expensive than MGO at a cost somewhere around $24k for enough points for a 2 bedroom every year. I'd only buy half that amount and go every other year. Or buy a week at MGO and trade every other year in order to stay someplace else.
If you want to pay for a 2 BR I'd put MGO as the first choice of the big 3.