• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking into possible purchase.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
Hello all,

I've been trying to read up here to learn a bit on how MVC works. A friend of ours owns a week at Frenchmans Cove and that inspired us to look into the idea. He is a proponent of owning a week vs the newer point system. A bit about us:

Family of four, kids 10 and 14, thus we mostly are stuck to traveling for spring break and summer, spring break being the target for MVC but that week changes each year and our spring break is the week before Easter. We already own points at Disney Vacation Club at the Polynesian and use that every other year. We enjoy our DVC points usage, though maybe not the WDW ticketing changes. We also like to cruise and try to cruise every other year. Our vacation goals are two bigger week long trips each year, one on spring break and one in mid-late June (for now). We live in Ohio so beach vacations are the goal, and places easy to get to every year. Thus not Hawaii, California, or busy cities. Also not Orlando as we own DVC. We were mostly thinking on whether to purchase a week or points for Frenchman's Cove but also looking at the other Caribbean islands.

We just got back from Hilton Head and stayed at the Omni Resort (the DVC resort was booked) and loved it, but it's not an every year place for us but maybe once every few years. Loved the Omni pool setup and being next to the beach. That's generally what we are looking for, nice pool, nice beach, lots of fun water related activities (fishing, sailing, maybe getting kids into scuba), just relaxing with a Mai Tai and listening to some music reading a book soaking up the sun.

Any tips on buying a week vs points? How flexible is owning a week, for example if I want to stay for spring break each year but the week of spring break changes each year? For years we cannot go, or want to try something else, how hard is it to trade and go elsewhere? For DVC points, it's easy to stay within the DVC system, and difficult to go through RCI for something else.

For points, how hard is it to get what you want? We mostly plan a year out for vacations, but our jobs require that long of a planning time. Our friend frowned about the point setup but didn't have many details on why.

Any tips on who to use for a resale purchase? I found many sites online but it's hard to tell who is trustworthy.

I tried to talk to MVC directly to get some information but they need my wife and I both on the line and that is tough timing wise. I was also hoping to have some type of incentive discounted vacation offer where you sit in a presentation but they only offered Bonvoy points. We collect Bonvoy but not enough to be that useful. We mostly collect Chase points and use those for vacations (including the last Omni Hilton Head trip).

Thanks for any help. Edited for more detail.

Last edited:

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick partial answers- you’ll get more advice from others!

MVC no longer sells weeks. To buy a week you will get it from the resale market. Resale weeks can’t be enrolled in the Destination club points program with out making a significant purchase directly from MVC- that is another option. You can also buy points resale and MVC will try to sell you points directly for a much higher cost if you talk to them.

Most MVC weeks are floating- you buy a season and then each year you need to reserve a week within that season to either stay at your owned resort (exception is Florida club) or deposit into interval International to exchange- MVC does not have an internal exchange- it uses II.

My personal experience is I have had great success exchanging my MVC week on II. I reserve the highest TDI week in my season, deposit it into II and immediately place a request for travel in the future (usually 9 months plus in advance). I have a lock off unit so even if I wanted to stay at my home resort (I don’t) I would still deposit into II and exchange in with one portion of my lock off and have the other piece for another exchange.
If you are exchanging through II it won’t matter when you spring break is- easy to know when Easter is each year and place your request early. If you just wanted to stay in your owned week as long as your break always falls in the same resort season that works fine to change what week you reserve form year to year.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
MVC sells hybrid packages which includes a week and points or just a week that is enrolled. You can convert the week to points when you want to use points. A resale week is cheapest so if money is a concern, you can buy a resale week. I am a proponent of points because I like the flexibility of going wherever I want and choosing my view and unit size. If you buy a resale week, you a limited to booking where you own or using II. I am not a proponent of II because it is hard to get high demand weeks at desireable locations assuming you can get the location at all. You can by resale points resale as well. I have purchased both resale points as well as a hybrid package.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
Do you have to buy a hybrid package direct from MVC, or are there resales available? Is there a couple of trustworthy sites to look at current resale offerings?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Do you have to buy a hybrid package direct from MVC, or are there resales available? Is there a couple of trustworthy sites to look at current resale offerings?
Hybrid can only be purchased direct.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
How flexible is owning a week, for example if I want to stay for spring break each year but the week of spring break changes each year? For years we cannot go, or want to try something else, how hard is it to trade and go elsewhere? For DVC points, it's easy to stay within the DVC system, and difficult to go through RCI for something else
Most weeks are floating, so the good news is you are not stuck to a specific week. The bad news is you do not have a guaranteed week.
If an owner owns more than one week than they can book their week 13 months out, so it is harder to get that specific week.
For instance I own multiple weeks at Canyon Villas so I am always able to get spring break/spring training. But this year I didn't book ahead so decided to see what it looked like at 12 months and while I can book in season, Spring Break was not available.

Trading is easy but depends on when and where. If you are stuck to school breaks then you are competing with everyone else who is trying to go school break.
Add on top of that if you are trying to go somewhere popular during that time, the weeks owners may find it better to rent vs trade.

The points program is similar except that non time-share stays (trips, cruises etc...) are not as good a value.

If it is not a financial stretch, a hybrid purchase is a good strategy since it should get you points at a lower MF and you can get a week somewhere you like.

But I always caution families on time share purchases because of the flexibility issues.
We bought when we had kids but I had no issue taking the kids out of school for vacations so we could go when we wanted.
And I bought places I would still want to go when kids were gone.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Hello all,

I've been trying to read up here to learn a bit on how MVC works. A friend of ours owns a week at Frenchmans Cove and that inspired us to look into the idea. He is a proponent of owning a week vs the newer point system. A bit about us:

Family of four, kids 10 and 14, thus we mostly are stuck to traveling for spring break and summer, spring break being the target for MVC but that week changes each year and our spring break is the week before Easter. We already own points at Disney Vacation Club at the Polynesian and use that every other year. We enjoy our DVC points usage, though maybe not the WDW ticketing changes. We also like to cruise and try to cruise every other year. Our vacation goals are two bigger week long trips each year, one on spring break and one in mid-late June (for now). We live in Ohio so beach vacations are the goal, and places easy to get to every year. Thus not Hawaii, California, or busy cities. Also not Orlando as we own DVC. We were mostly thinking on whether to purchase a week or points for Frenchman's Cove but also looking at the other Caribbean islands.

We just got back from Hilton Head and stayed at the Omni Resort (the DVC resort was booked) and loved it, but it's not an every year place for us but maybe once every few years. Loved the Omni pool setup and being next to the beach. That's generally what we are looking for, nice pool, nice beach, lots of fun water related activities (fishing, sailing, maybe getting kids into scuba), just relaxing with a Mai Tai and listening to some music reading a book soaking up the sun.

Any tips on buying a week vs points? How flexible is owning a week, for example if I want to stay for spring break each year but the week of spring break changes each year? For years we cannot go, or want to try something else, how hard is it to trade and go elsewhere? For DVC points, it's easy to stay within the DVC system, and difficult to go through RCI for something else.

For points, how hard is it to get what you want? We mostly plan a year out for vacations, but our jobs require that long of a planning time. Our friend frowned about the point setup but didn't have many details on why.

Any tips on who to use for a resale purchase? I found many sites online but it's hard to tell who is trustworthy.

I tried to talk to MVC directly to get some information but they need my wife and I both on the line and that is tough timing wise. I was also hoping to have some type of incentive discounted vacation offer where you sit in a presentation but they only offered Bonvoy points. We collect Bonvoy but not enough to be that useful. We mostly collect Chase points and use those for vacations (including the last Omni Hilton Head trip).

Thanks for any help. Edited for more detail.
One bit of information that may help with advice on purchasing a Marriott Timeshare(s) is what is your budget if you were to buy? This will help with options given the information you gave us above.

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
I'll share our experience. Hope it helps. We are in a similar family situation just a little further down the road. I have three 17 year old boys so we have been limited to family travel only when our kids have breaks from school. We own two weeks, both purchased on Ebay. A gold Mountainside ($450) week purchased early enough to enroll in the points system (only used points one time) and a Maui Lahaina Villas week($10K) that we have never used because it rents for enough to cover all our expenses for both units. My strategy has been to use the two weeks to access the 13 month booking window to get good summer weeks for both. I split the mountainside and use exclusively for trading.
We just spent spring break in Maui using the Mountainside weeks for a trade into a two bedroom MOC garden view. In addition to that awesome trade, we have been to Spain twice, France, Ko Olina, Waiohai twice, MOC twice, Newport CA three times and multiple Ski weeks in Park City including President's Day week. It has been a great ride using only a $450 Mountainside week.

I have come close to buying points a couple times to get me to Presidential status for some of the discounts and flexibility but the reality is that with two resale weeks, we've been able to take some really great trips in two and three bedroom units around the world.

It does take some work and patience to make all of this happen using Interval and Marriott's booking system. For us, it has been worth the time spent learning and using the system without ever paying full Marriott price for anything.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
One bit of information that may help with advice on purchasing a Marriott Timeshare(s) is what is your budget if you were to buy? This will help with options given the information you gave us above.

I'm not certain. Maybe $15,000. It depends as we may also buy a few resale DVC points so we can stay in larger units.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
I'll share our experience. Hope it helps. We are in a similar family situation just a little further down the road. I have three 17 year old boys so we have been limited to family travel only when our kids have breaks from school. We own two weeks, both purchased on Ebay. A gold Mountainside ($450) week purchased early enough to enroll in the points system (only used points one time) and a Maui Lahaina Villas week($10K) that we have never used because it rents for enough to cover all our expenses for both units. My strategy has been to use the two weeks to access the 13 month booking window to get good summer weeks for both. I split the mountainside and use exclusively for trading.
We just spent spring break in Maui using the Mountainside weeks for a trade into a two bedroom MOC garden view. In addition to that awesome trade, we have been to Spain twice, France, Ko Olina, Waiohai twice, MOC twice, Newport CA three times and multiple Ski weeks in Park City including President's Day week. It has been a great ride using only a $450 Mountainside week.

I have come close to buying points a couple times to get me to Presidential status for some of the discounts and flexibility but the reality is that with two resale weeks, we've been able to take some really great trips in two and three bedroom units around the world.

It does take some work and patience to make all of this happen using Interval and Marriott's booking system. For us, it has been worth the time spent learning and using the system without ever paying full Marriott price for anything.

That's interesting. Where do you rent the Maui location at? Like a VRBO type place? Is it easy to rent out a deeded week? We have never tried to rent out our DVC points yet.

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
That's interesting. Where do you rent the Maui location at? Like a VRBO type place? Is it easy to rent out a deeded week? We have never tried to rent out our DVC points yet.
We've used Redweek full service. Relatively inexpensive and I don't have to do anything but change the name on the reservation. MOC has been great for renting. One of these days we're actually going to use our week.
There are a lot of resale units available as well if you eventually end up deciding to purchase a resale week. Pick a resort that you actually want to use if you end up not being able to trade. With a 15K budget, you could pick up two weeks which will give you a 13 month booking window which is crucial at hot resorts during hot weeks.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
We've used Redweek full service. Relatively inexpensive and I don't have to do anything but change the name on the reservation. MOC has been great for renting. One of these days we're actually going to use our week.
There are a lot of resale units available as well if you eventually end up deciding to purchase a resale week. Pick a resort that you actually want to use if you end up not being able to trade. With a 15K budget, you could pick up two weeks which will give you a 13 month booking window which is crucial at hot resorts during hot weeks.

Thanks. I'm look at different resale sites. It's hard to decifer the difference. Some show a floating week for $25,000 and others $2,500 at the same resort.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Asking prices often reflect the owners perception of value, rather than market value. Floating weeks are commodities, so while a week may be rare, once there are two or more of the same exact week, lowest price wins. You might also look at ROFR.net for examples of actual sales.

Points are a pure commodity, so just offer $2.25 at Resale and if they don’t pass ROFR, then go back with a $2.50 deal, etc.
https://vacationpointexchange.com/resale/

For week resales, once you narrow down your target resort, many here can help refine what might be possible.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
Thanks. Looking at the options, it would most likely be Frenchman. Possibly one of the Aruba locations, but likely Frenchman's as being easier to get to. If we got a second contract I'd likely get one of the Hilton Head sites. I'd say Hawaii but we would not go there regularly due to the difficulty to get there.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Looking at the options, it would most likely be Frenchman. Possibly one of the Aruba locations, but likely Frenchman's as being easier to get to. If we got a second contract I'd likely get one of the Hilton Head sites. I'd say Hawaii but we would not go there regularly due to the difficulty to get there.
Be sure to check the resort calendar to determine what season you plan to stay during if you want to stay in your owned week rather than exchanging on II. As I said above I always exchange, never stay at my home resort so it really doesn’t matter where I own, just a matter of looking at trading power vs. maintenance fees.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
It appears that spring break for St Thomas or Aruba is a Platinum week. June however is a Gold week. Does that mean that I'd have to use ii to trade if I needed a gold/June week?

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears that spring break for St Thomas or Aruba is a Platinum week. June however is a Gold week. Does that mean that I'd have to use ii to trade if I needed a gold/June week?
You can only reserve in your season, so if June is not in your season than you would need to trade.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

And if you are going to end up exchanging read some of the many threads on buying a resale trader.

If you own points you can reserve when and where you want- subject to availability.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
So, if my primary goal is to get spring break week every year at Frenchman's, which option makes that most likely or easiest to ensure happens? Points or a platinum week? Trading is a whole addition depth I'll have to figure out, but at least for the next 8 or so years spring break is the main vacation to a warm location. Trading would come in for the odd year that work does not allow a spring break trip and we would need to move to June. Unfortunately I don't think we can take kids out of school. After kids, likely our trips to warm beaches will be January / February which would still be a platinum time frame.

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Oceana Palms, Asia Pacific Points
So, if my primary goal is to get spring break week every year at Frenchman's, which option makes that most likely or easiest to ensure happens? Points or a platinum week? Trading is a whole addition depth I'll have to figure out, but at least for the next 8 or so years spring break is the main vacation to a warm location. Trading would come in for the odd year that work does not allow a spring break trip and we would need to move to June. Unfortunately I don't think we can take kids out of school. After kids, likely our trips to warm beaches will be January / February which would still be a platinum time frame.
Definitely buy a resale St Thomas platinum week. That will get you your 8 years there and if you want, you can get rid of it down the road and buy into the point system. You may end up liking trading, but if your not flexible, trading becomes more difficult.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, buy a resale platinum week there! That's the easiest way to get what you want for now, you can worry about the future later and save a lot of money.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
So, my next problem is that I've not been to any of these places. How do you decide between Frenchman on St Thomas, the place on St Kitts, or either place in Aruba? They all have the beach island getaway concept we are looking for. All different islands and islands we have yet to be to. All look nice. Aruba appears at least to be a busier area (we prefer less busy if possible) but I know many people love Aruba. All three appear to be similar for flights with one stop and around 7-9 hrs depending on layover with St Thomas being a bit higher priced.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, my next problem is that I've not been to any of these places. How do you decide between Frenchman on St Thomas, the place on St Kitts, or either place in Aruba? They all have the beach island getaway concept we are looking for. All different islands and islands we have yet to be to. All look nice. Aruba appears at least to be a busier area (we prefer less busy if possible) but I know many people love Aruba. All three appear to be similar for flights with one stop and around 7-9 hrs depending on layover with St Thomas being a bit higher priced.
Rent privately and give the one that you are thinking as the first choice a try. I wouldn't buy blindly with the goal of staying there routinely.

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Oceana Palms, Asia Pacific Points
I would probably rule out the Aruba properties if you're looking for more laid back. Renting first is a good idea also. Another thing you could do is search this forum and you will find plenty of info and opinions on the places you are considering.