• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for your thoughts about family trip.

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Every year, myself and DH have rented a large house on the beach for ourselves, two sons and wives, and 5 young grandchildren. This year its July 11 in the Outer Banks, which is under closure today, but beaches are scheduled to reopen May 16. We live in SW Florida, have stayed in or far from people since mid March. We are in our 70s and mostly fairly healthy. The final payment is due the end of May. If I cancel before then, and if it gets re-rented, I would get the deposit back. The house is across the street from the beach in a low density area.
The kids live in Maryland. I spoke to them today. They still want to go. We would all drive separately.
So I guess I have options and I am OK with all of the options. Fortunately, the rental money isn't an issue for us.
1. The kids and grandkids go and we don't.
2. Some of the kids and grandkids go and we don't.
3. We make a last minute decision whether to go, with or without the kids.
4.. If we go with kids, they have to understand no waterparks or trips for ice cream. I don't think there are water parks in Kill Devil Hills.

Thanks for input. I don't know where else to ask for a cross section of opinions and I just need to think about it all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I think you'd be fine to all go. As long as everyone in the group is healthy and not on the front lines of fighting the pandemic. Just use extra sanitation steps for yourself and DH and encourage the family to do the same.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
When would this rental be?

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I'd go. Take precautions, limit trips out into the community, and enjoy one another's company. Yes, you may be inside staring at the walls. But those 4 walls are different than the 4 walls you've been staring at for the past few months. :) Good luck making your decision.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We're very cautious and from the DC area. We grocery shop in a mask/gloves and sanitize groceries when we get home. We have not had any visitors except 10+ feet away in our driveway. Our college kids at home have not seen anyone in 6 weeks. DH (semi-retired) went off rotation in medical services field from mid-March thru mid-June. I am teleworking.
I'd send the kids/grandkids and wait until last minute to decide for you. I'd see what C19 numbers are like both where they live in on Outer Banks to to determine possible risk--for ex. if large outbreak in MD in their area, then maybe not. We have same issue for same time. Do we let kids/grandkids visit us in NC beach house? Waiting until end of June to decide.
Impossible to predict how reopening will go. I'm concerned to see so many refusing to wear masks in the wake of a public health pandemic.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd send the kids/grandkids and wait until last minute to decide for you. I'd see what C19 numbers are like both where they live in on Outer Banks to to determine possible risk--for ex. if large outbreak in MD in their area, then maybe not. We have same issue for same time. Do we let kids/grandkids visit us in NC beach house? Waiting until end of June to decide.

Yes, this is what I was going to say. Also, remember to think about how they will get to the Outer Banks. Even if you're driving, you have to think about where you will stop and get gas and go to the bathroom along the way. The adults will be able to take precautions for themselves, but kids can be more difficult to monitor.

Also, right now, some states are monitoring license plates as they enter the state. For example, we're in NJ, and I hear that cars with NJ tags can't enter some states. This restriction may be lifted by July...let's hope...but maybe it won't be. I would say I would want to be confident that most of the people who would like to go will be able to go.

Good luck!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you cite any reference for this? I haven't seen or heard anything like this. Thanks!

Kurt

NY Times on April 6.

Also, a handy chart from Wikipedia--definitely need to confirm any info here.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
NY Times on April 6.

Also, a handy chart from Wikipedia--definitely need to confirm any info here.

But none of those indicate that cars cannot enter states, as you originally stated. Yes, there are some states that have quarantine requirements for people coming n for stays, but that is it. Even the article you posted states:

No state has blocked drivers from passing through on their way to their final destination.

So I guess we can chalk another rumor up to urban legend.

Kurt

queenofthehive

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pigsdad- Ocracoke is closed to outside visitors but they will not be going down that far.

Last edited:

queenofthehive

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in the same predicament as we have a house rental in the SC low country this summer. We rent a house at the beach everyone year and all the family gets together for the week. We are in a wait and see mode as we have until the 30 days out to cancel (losing half the deposit but I get it). It is more of a personal decision and your comfort level. No easy answer just I understand your dilemma. We were thinking of moving it to later in the year so maybe that could be an option for you as well.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
We are still planning on using our t/s trade to Sandcastle II in New Bern NC beginning 6/27. Their website says the expected opening date is 5/15.
We did have to cancel a visit to the Boone area in mid-July because the Highland Festival near Grandfather Mt. won't be taking place this year. The cabin we were renting with friends charged a $25 processing fee for revoking our reservation- not too bad.
To the OP: NC and SC have low Covid-19 numbers so I would not be concerned about visiting there. Just take the precautions that you do at home.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pigsdad- Ocracoke is closed to outside visitors but they will not be going down that far.
The assertion was that people were not allowed to enter some states based on having a NJ license plate. Yes, some remote islands and areas are restricted to locals only, but no state is closed to people driving across a border.

Kurt

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
NC and SC have low Covid-19 numbers so I would not be concerned about visiting there. Just take the precautions that you do at home.
This could change if influx of vacationers from C19 hotspots. This is what we're watching.

No state has blocked drivers from passing through on their way to their final destination. So I guess we can chalk another rumor up to urban legend.
I believe that RI national guard was stopping cars with NY/NJ plates and giving 14 day quarantine mandates and Gov. Cuomo threatened lawsuit, so RI changed to stopping all cars, regardless of origin.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We decided not to book a TS in mid-July in in Holmes Beach, Florida.
DW said it's too soon. I said that it'd be just as safe there as it is here.
I lost the argument. So we booked the same place for 2021 instead.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe that RI national guard was stopping cars with NY/NJ plates and giving 14 day quarantine mandates and Gov. Cuomo threatened lawsuit, so RI changed to stopping all cars, regardless of origin.
Stopping cars to remind them of the 14 day quarantine mandate is not the same as not allowing cars to enter. Still an urban legend.

Kurt

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I'm hopeful we can make our annual trip to Nantucket to use our owned week the last week in June. It's probably only wishful thinking, as the islanders don't seem to want outsiders there (and I can understand that). The management office has been emailing updates and mentioned that there is no toilet paper to be purchased on the island. If we're able to go, we need to bring our own. The car ferry backed off on safety requirements a little. They were saying you had to stay in your car for the entire trip. Now they just say you need to wear a mask when not in your vehicle.

There has only been one death in the county I live in, but they are opening things back up here and it may get worse. I just started grocery shopping a couple of weeks ago. Other than that and a few drive-thru food runs, I haven't left the farm since mid-March. We would drive up, so there would be some risk from overnight stays along the way and food and gas stops.

Everything else has been cancelled. I hope we feel safe enough to travel then. If not, I'm not sure it would be worth depositing it late in RCI since the resort charges $100 + the cleaning fee if we put it up for exchange. That's on top of the maintenance fees we'll have to pay anyway.

Sheila

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think OBX is now open as of this weekend. You must show written proof you have rented property or own property on OBX to be their.

To the OP, please check with your leasing agent ASAP.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
We decided not to book a TS in mid-July in in Holmes Beach, Florida.
DW said it's too soon. I said that it'd be just as safe there as it is here.
I lost the argument. So we booked the same place for 2021 instead.
There are many more cases in Holmes Beach than here. I assume you mean Anna Maria Island? We like it there too. Sarasota City and Manatee County have higher counts than we in Venice ever had.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Every year, myself and DH have rented a large house on the beach for ourselves, two sons and wives, and 5 young grandchildren. This year its July 11 in the Outer Banks, which is under closure today, but beaches are scheduled to reopen May 16. We live in SW Florida, have stayed in or far from people since mid March. We are in our 70s and mostly fairly healthy. The final payment is due the end of May. If I cancel before then, and if it gets re-rented, I would get the deposit back. The house is across the street from the beach in a low density area.
The kids live in Maryland. I spoke to them today. They still want to go. We would all drive separately.
So I guess I have options and I am OK with all of the options. Fortunately, the rental money isn't an issue for us.
1. The kids and grandkids go and we don't.
2. Some of the kids and grandkids go and we don't.
3. We make a last minute decision whether to go, with or without the kids.
4.. If we go with kids, they have to understand no waterparks or trips for ice cream. I don't think there are water parks in Kill Devil Hills.

Thanks for input. I don't know where else to ask for a cross section of opinions and I just need to think about it all.

If the outer banks are open to tourists and you can enjoy the time there, I would be all for going. You need to ask yourself if living life with your family is worth the small risk that you could get sick and die.

However, I would also respect your decision if you are worried about Covid and feel you should hold back due to your age. Maybe, as others have suggested, you can make a decision as the time gets closer and before final payment is due.

Personally, I would be more worried about the infrastructure being closed and whether you would actually enjoy your time there. I have canceled all of our trips for 2020 due to the tourism infrastructure being rather limited this year.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the outer banks are open to tourists and you can enjoy the time there, I would be all for going. You need to ask yourself if living life with your family is worth the small risk that you could get sick and die.

However, I would also respect your decision if you are worried about Covid and feel you should hold back due to your age. Maybe, as others have suggested, you can make a decision as the time gets closer and before final payment is due.

Personally, I would be more worried about the infrastructure being closed and whether you would actually enjoy your time there. I have canceled all of our trips for 2020 due to the tourism infrastructure being rather limited this year.
I am not worried about infrastructure. We never eat out on beach week with all the little kids. I just make a reservation at a nearby campground where I can inexpensively leave my little travel trailer, so no hotel coming and going. The house is across from the beach and has a pool. Just got a letter from the rental company regarding their expanded cleaning plans.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Because you are looking for a cross section of opinions, I will give you mine and I wouldn't go. Fair disclosure, I run pretty high on the Covid Coo-Coo scale in general.

For me, the biggest issue would be the combination of 3 households under one roof with 5 young kids. The inability to social distance from people outside of my own household.

You already mentioned the kids would have to understand no ice cream trips. That leads me to believe your thoughts are tied to we stick together as a family unit in the house, with limited/no other activities. If this is what will make you comfortable to go, then you need make sure all others are on the same page BEFORE you go. If everyone involved does not have the same mindset, then it isn't going to work.

I think if I was able to stay in my own place nearby and then meet up with them daily with appropriate social distance measures I would feel more comfortable about the trip.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I would not go, either.
Who knows where and what these other households + peep have been up to?
The risk of cross-contamination is simply too high.
DW and I each have two reasons to be extra careful... age + another condition.