• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for somewhere to go in 2019

tarahsu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO | 1BR (ODD)
SDO | 2BD LO (EVEN)
Hi All:

Anyone have a fabulous trade somewhere outside of the USA that they would recommend?

Thanks

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what you like to do. If you're a beach type person, we love Aruba. Or maybe some beach place in Europe (Costa del Sol in Spain or some place in Italy). If you're a cultural type person, pretty much anyplace in Europe or Asia, if you can handle the flight. South America would be neat, but I'd stay away from Venezuela.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been to Thailand 5 times and there are several destinations there which are very nice including Phukett. Incidiently, I was NOT really impressed with Bali but I would recommend you go to the wildlife park there and ride the elephants and see their exotic birds etc. It is costly but I think well worth it. I don't recall the exact name of it but I am sure they advertise. If you can't find it let me know and i will check. They also have several Kimodo Dragons which i really wanted to see. Their restaurant is in the middle of the lion area so you can look out the window wall and watch them as you eat.

If you like to shop Hong Kong and Singapore are great destinations too. As mentioned above it all depends on what constitutes "fabulous" in your mind. I also like Italy and Scotland(if the weather cooperates).

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We loved Tasmania 18 months ago and were sorry we only had a week there. We are planning on going back in 16 months and spend 2 to 3 weeks. There is also Fiji and New Zealand. We have only been to the North Island - Rotarua and Bay of Islands. We loved both areas.

tarahsu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO | 1BR (ODD)
SDO | 2BD LO (EVEN)
Thanks for all the recommendations. We have been to most countries in Europe and Asia but have limited travel to South America or Aruba so might check that out.
I am from Hong Kong and am heading there again as well as Bali next month and will be diving with Mantra Rays and Mola fish.
We have been to Thailand many times. Thanks for the recommendation Jimster, but I avoid elephant rides as I have volunteered at a Thailand Wildlife Animal Rescue and the fact they steal baby elephants from their mothers, lock them in a cage, starve & beat them until they become obedient is deplorable and I don't want to support that type of tourism.
We have been to Fiji but only stopped in New Zealand so that is interesting. Never thought of Tasmania so thanks! I will check if those places have volunteer tourism for 1 week and then we usually vacation the next. Have also been considering Vietnam, Cambodia and South Africa as well but the trip to South Africa from California is a LONG one. Bucket list is the Maldives.

bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been to Thailand 5 times and there are several destinations there which are very nice including Phukett. Incidiently, I was NOT really impressed with Bali but I would recommend you go to the wildlife park there and ride the elephants and see their exotic birds etc. It is costly but I think well worth it. I don't recall the exact name of it but I am sure they advertise. If you can't find it let me know and i will check. They also have several Kimodo Dragons which i really wanted to see. Their restaurant is in the middle of the lion area so you can look out the window wall and watch them as you eat.

If you like to shop Hong Kong and Singapore are great destinations too. As mentioned above it all depends on what constitutes "fabulous" in your mind. I also like Italy and Scotland(if the weather cooperates).

Jimster...
Wanting to go to Thailand and considering June because that's when I'm able to take a large chunk of time off from work but I'm told is monsoon season and very humid. Have you ever gone in June?

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, i have not been there in June. But if it is monsoon season, to me that means rain and lots of it. One week i spent in Phukett we had 5 days out of 7 with constant rain. To say the least, that dampened my enthusiasm.

As to the point made by Tarahsu and elephant rides, the place i am recommending is on Bali and i think that is more humane. I have seen the elephant rides in thailand and most of those seem to have elephants that look beaten and worn and often harshly confined. The wildlife park in Bali is a huge complex and all the animals looked well cared for and they had ample space to roam. Of course, they are still confined and perhaps that is sufficient to avoid them, but they definitely appeared to be in much better condition than those in Thailand and i have seen plenty of places in Thailand offering rides.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
May I suggest New Zealand and the world's smallest continent Australia. After this vacation you will not want to come back to the USA.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
You mentioned South America. There are some possibilities, but the problem would be: if you are trading for a week, is there enough to do to fill a week in these locations?

There are a few timeshares in Urubamba, Peru. (On Interval, these will show up under "Peru, Machu Picchu," but the timeshares are not in Machu Picchu.) Peru is interesting, and I have visited this area, though I stayed at the Starwood hotel (Tambo del Inka) rather than a timeshare. It's pretty easy to fill 2 days in the Sacred Valley - there's Ollantaytambo, the salt evaporation pools at Maras, and the agricultural site Moray. You would probably need a car, or a tour guide, to get around. The ruins at Pisac would be further (about 1 hour 15 minutes). You'd also want to travel to Aguas Calientes (by train? via hike?), perhaps stay in a hotel there overnight, and then want a full day for Machu Picchu (catch an early bus up to the site), so that might tack on a few more days of things to do. Cusco is further still (nearly 2 hours by car), so you could add that on to your trip as a several day separate stay.

Once in Peru, there are other areas to visit: Arequipa, Colca Canyon, Lake Titicaca, Lima. So if you're adventurous, you could build a several week vacation in Peru around a timeshare stay. My wife and I spent nearly 3 weeks in Peru and we still didn't see everything. We used a South American tour company to help us arrange our sightseeing while I arranged the flights and hotel accommodations.

A second South America possibility is Bariloche. (On Interval, look at Argentina, "Patagonia and Cuyo.") I have never visited this area, so I can't say anything more, but I do recall someone recommending it to me. If I were looking at a stay in Bariloche, I would see if it were possible to build a trip to Argentina around the timeshare week. That might very well include visits to Buenos Aires and Iguazu Falls.

tarahsu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO | 1BR (ODD)
SDO | 2BD LO (EVEN)
Thanks everyone for some awesome ideas. Starting to plan my 2019 and 2020 trips :) WooHoo

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I wanted to add that even though Interval shows timeshares in the Sacred Valley of Peru, I have no idea how difficult a trade this might be.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you haven't tried a cruise and have the time, try go go on a cruise - through Panama Canal, Chile & Argentina, through SE Asia, Transatlantic, Transpacific, NZ and Australia etc....

tarahsu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO | 1BR (ODD)
SDO | 2BD LO (EVEN)
If you haven't tried a cruise and have the time, try go go on a cruise - through Panama Canal, Chile & Argentina, through SE Asia, Transatlantic, Transpacific, NZ and Australia etc....
Thanks! Not really a cruise person but showed my husband that we can trade for the Rhine or Danube River Cruises and those look interesting.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What are your top five (5) vacation choices for 2019?

dmurray007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Suitelife Vacations Club
Shell Vacations Club (American)
Viida Vacations Club (Grand Luxxe)
Have you thought about South Africa? That is on my bucket. Definitely 2nd. NZ and OZ. was a great experience.