• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for info re: Westin St. John studio units

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
Hi--

Does anyone have info on the size, layout, floorpan, kitchen (does it have a stove and/or oven?), etc., or ideally pictures of a studio unit? Have all units been refurbished by now? Trying to determine if it's doable for 4 (2 adults, 2 kids-- 12 year old twins). Is the bedroom separated by a door? This would be a hillside unit.

Do all hillside units have water views, or does it depend upon location?

Thanks,
David

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Hi--

Does anyone have info on the size, layout, floorpan, kitchen (does it have a stove and/or oven?), etc., or ideally pictures of a studio unit? Have all units been refurbished by now? Trying to determine if it's doable for 4 (2 adults, 2 kids-- 12 year old twins). Is the bedroom separated by a door? This would be a hillside unit.

Do all hillside units have water views, or does it depend upon location?

Thanks,
David

David,

Other TUGgers will chime in (I've not been there) but I didn't believe the Studio Unit had a full kitchen (edited: it does -- see below) nor a separate bedroom. I believe it is a true Studio -- with a kitchenette. I'll see what I can find to confirm, but it may be tight for 4 people.

I'll look forward to responses.

Best,

Greg

This is what the website says:

With a resort view, the Villa Studio measures 600 sq. feet and is equipped with a full kitchen with breakfast bar, dining table, sitting area with pull-out sleeper sofa, balcony, washer and dryer, in-room safe, Westin Heavenly® Bed, TV and stereo. At 850 sq. feet, each One Bedroom Villa offers the same amenities as a studio, within a more expansive floor plan.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Last edited:

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Greg and Denise, wow you guys were fast!!:) (why didn't I think of looking on Starwood's site?:eek: )

Looks like it's almost as big as the 1 bed deluxe at Harborside.

Does anyone know if all units have been refurbished by now, and view categories?

Thanks!

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if all units have been refurbished by now, and view categories?

Thanks!

All units have been refurbished and look great. Hopefully, David of DavidnRobin (or someone else) will chime in about what floor these are on. That generally affects the view. All Studio units are in what's referred to as the "Hillside" phase (originally Virgin Grand Villas). They're across the street from the main resort and up a short hill -- which gives most of them a good view of Great Cruz Bay. There are actually two* levels on the "hillside," and in general, the higher level may have the better view. I've been in about 3 or 4 of them (but never a studio) and all have had nice views. Having said that, the view is not like being ocean front in Maui (or elsewhere). It's just a peaceful view of the entire resort and the bay, which includes a marina. WSJ is about the island -- I don't think anyone goes there for the view. If you like beautiful, peaceful islands with great access to other, neighboring, beautiful islands, I'm pretty sure you'd be happy regardless of the view.

*Well, actually there are three levels. The main resort is pretty flat. You leave it and cross a flat road. You first come to the Pool Villas, which are also part of "hillside" but are on the same level as the main resort and therefore have no view. You then proceed up the hill to the first "level" of units, and then further up the hill to the next "level" of units! If this all sounds far, it's not. The walk from "Hillside" to the beach is about 5 minutes. And, there are "Iguanas" (golf carts) that shuttle anyone who wants a ride.

Last edited:

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks jerseygirl. We've actually stayed in a 3 bedroom pool villa (lucky II exchange way back in Nov. '04). That was our first time to the island. One of our favorite places on earth! We went back about 5 years ago and rented a private home/villa. Looking to go back this summer (again renting private villa); considering a Westin St. John studio rental as an affordable option to extend the trip for a 2nd week (can't afford two weeks in a private villa!:) ).

Can anyone comment on the studio bed "wall" in the diagram? Is it like a folding curtain or something?

Thanks,
David
All units have been refurbished and look great. Hopefully, David of DavidnRobin (or someone else) will chime in about what floor these are on. That generally affects the view. All Studio units are in what's referred to as the "Hillside" phase (originally Virgin Grand Villas). They're across the street from the main resort and up a short hill -- which gives most of them a good view of Great Cruz Bay. There are actually two* levels on the "hillside," and in general, the higher level may have the better view. I've been in about 3 or 4 of them (but never a studio) and all have had nice views. Having said that, the view is not like being ocean front in Maui (or elsewhere). It's just a peaceful view of the entire resort and the bay, which includes a marina. WSJ is about the island -- I don't think anyone goes there for the view. If you like beautiful, peaceful islands with great access to other, neighboring, beautiful islands, I'm pretty sure you'd be happy regardless of the view.

*Well, actually there are three levels. The main resort is pretty flat. You leave it and cross a flat road. You first come to the Pool Villas, which are also part of "hillside" but are on the same level as the main resort and therefore have no view. You then proceed up the hill to the first "level" of units, and then further up the hill to the next "level" of units! If this all sounds far, it's not. The walk from "Hillside" to the beach is about 5 minutes. And, there are "Iguanas" (golf carts) that shuttle anyone who wants a ride.

Reaction score
The studio I have been in had a kitchen. It did not have a privacy screen around the bed. The sofa sleeper is in the same room with the bed.

The 1BR has the privacy screen you can open or close.

It may have changed since the last time I was there but I dont think so.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hi - and importantly... IMO - if you are going to buy a studio (remembering that you are buying a fixed week and fixed check-in day) - and you want WSJ as an annual vacation spot (as we do...) - I would seriously consider getting a 1Bd villa at a time that best fits your needs since the purchase cost differential is minimal compared to the MFs - and preferably not in low-low season... IMO - the studio is way to confining for 4 people (at least I would find it to be...) and be careful with summer studios - you may be able to rent for the MFs (or lower) - in June they are not fully occupied

somes reasons why have been previously discussed...
the 1Bd are on the upper floor and have better view and more overall volume per sqft - plus the studios seem darker to me... we own a 2Bd TH villa and as they are on the ends of the building they have light coming from a side window, plus the staircase give the villa more volume (which the 1Bd do as well)

week in year is main driver of purchase cost for a reason
- we find June a good balance (crowds, weather), but early season is prime in STJ

best of luck

added - I missed this was for a rental so some of the comments above are not relevant. As said - many of the studios seem unoccupied during weeks 23-24 so you should be able to rent at MFs (or perhaps less?) - these have almost no SO-SP exchange value, and the SO value for SVN exchanging is pretty low. again - be aware that any Owner week has a fixed check-in date. btw, I hear that the 4th of July week (week 26) in STJ can be quite fun. I hear that someone has a 2Bd TH villa for rent back-to-back weeks in June for the MFs Oops - no advertising allowed on SVO forum... :p

Last edited:

islandguy

Reaction score
We put together a website that shows where all the Hillside units are in the buildings at the Westin St John. We also allow owners to submit pictures for a "villa" catalog. If linking is not allowed, perhaps Denise could let us know.
http://www.westinstjohnrentals.com/Villa-Details.html

The pictures in this web site for the studio's are outdated. Studios have been remodeled. I stayed in one two weeks ago. The have removed the platform that the bed is on and gotten rid of the curved kitchen island. Now the kitchen has a free standing island. The studios are great and in my opinion a better layout than the 1 Bdr.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The studios are great and in my opinion a better layout than the 1 Bdr.

That is an interesting comment about the layout, do other TUGgers share it?

I typically gravitate towards 1BR's because DW and I have different sleep patterns (I tend to get up early and work). This has eliminated alot of Studios for us because it just doesn't have enough separation.

I did notice in the pictures of the 1BR at WSJ that it is more of a loft than true separated 1BR. Any comments on how the Studio would facilitate my habit of getting up a couple hours earlier?

Thanks very much!

Greg

ksqdomer

Reaction score
we have a studio in building 33 during week 25 and have two kids. They are now 18 and 15 (man time flies). We never found it to be too large of a hassle frankly because we don't spend much time in the unit.
I would say the sharing of the bathroom is the biggest problem but again we manage.

As mentioned the bed is open to the room and the kitchen now has a small island.

The view is very nice from 33. I believe most if not all of the studios in 31 and 32 were combined to make single story two bedroom units.

Every year I mention that they should mount a small flat screen with an arm onto the closet wall so you could watch some TV from the bed but alas....

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does anyone have (or know where to find) updated pictures of the newly remodeled studios?

Thanks,
David

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
I guess we all have different needs but I personally want to have privacy with my spouse when traveling with kids so a studio would not do. At least it is not my preference so I would not buy a studio at Westin St John (I own a week 12 1 bedroom unit.).

Frankly even if it is just my spouse and I, I still prefer a 1 bedroom unit because as was stated before, I get up earlier than she does and it allows me to do things while she is still sleeping.

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg,

While the 1BR is a loft, the loft (at least ours) has sliding doors on the balcony to create some privacy and that will protect the late sleeper from much of the noise downstairs.

I have taken calls in our villa while my wife slept and she slept right through it.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Greg,

While the 1BR is a loft, the loft (at least ours) has sliding doors on the balcony to create some privacy and that will protect the late sleeper from much of the noise downstairs.

I have taken calls in our villa while my wife slept and she slept right through it.

I hope that helps.

Thank you -- that makes a lot of sense -- we hope to see it one day for ourselves!! and will try for the 1BR....

Thanks again,

Greg